Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Bets on him not really being dead? Imperials didn't see a body, and are only going off finding his lightsaber as proof of his death.

Kind of what I was thinking too. I seriously wouldn't be surprised considering said death came out of nowhere and especially after he shaved his face and everything which seemed to indicate he would stick around longer. Wouldn't bother me either, we never got official word that Ahsoka bit it and I would think it was cool if she showed up again, this ain't much different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Shitenshi posted:

Kind of what I was thinking too. I seriously wouldn't be surprised considering said death came out of nowhere and especially after he shaved his face and everything which seemed to indicate he would stick around longer. Wouldn't bother me either, we never got official word that Ahsoka bit it and I would think it was cool if she showed up again, this ain't much different.

Kanan’s death has been telegraphed all season. I interpreted his haircut and shave two ways; Back to basics for the character, to go full circle and die as he was before the rebellion, and as a familiar thing for Hera to remember him by. She even mentions his new look reminds her of when they first met. Kanan knew he was about to die.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 20, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah, he’s dead. It doesn’t make sense thematically to pull a fakeout, it would rob that moment of its weight and heroism. You’d be undoing an important moment both for Ezra and the show as a whole.

Definitely agree, but I do wonder. His Losing his lightsaber was just a bit weird.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Definitely agree, but I do wonder. His Losing his lightsaber was just a bit weird.

It was so they could blow him up, but still have physical evidence of his death. Probably best to not overthink this, he dead.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Vintersorg posted:

I wonder what was up with Kanan getting his vision back at the end? The force allowing him to see Hera one last time? :(

I attribute it to the healing powers of the Force. In his last moments, Kanan is supercharged knowing they are his final moments which works for me.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I recognize that force-sensitive animals are Filoni’s thing now but I still don’t like it. It feels really cheesy.

I don't think it's Filoni's thing so much as it's Ezra's thing, all through the series Ezra displayed a force connection with animals that always surprised Kanan, and went well beyond anything that he could do, from the Fyrnocks in season 2, through the Purrgil, Tibidee, and Loth Cats, right up to the Loth Wolves. His force connection to animals, force sensitive ones or otherwise, is his special Jedi talent.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why would you not just kill him?

It's only fair if you mass murder random soldiers in cold blood and never look back. Doing it mid-war to a dangerous psychopath who actively enjoys murdering and personally wants to kill you and everyone you love would be going too far.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I wonder if Rukh will kill Thrawn.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

thelaughingman posted:

I wonder if Rukh will kill thrawn.

No need to spoil that, it's asking if something will happen in the future. We talked about it earlier, and I'm of the opinion that he won't. Rukh doesn't really have a character right now, beyond "tough guy". They'd have to go into his species, into his planet, how Vader and then Thrawn have been taking advantage of them for years...I just don't see it happening when we have our actual main characters plots to wrap up instead. The show hasn't been working towards that at all. The Zahn trilogy built up to it over the course of two books.

I think Thrawn is going to be punished for whatever goes down at the end of this season, probably connected to the failure of the TIE Defender program, and will be sent into the Unknown Regions, explaining where he is for the events of the OT. Then some books or a new show from Filoni can bring him back as a bad guy there, and they can build up that plot line.

You could give Rukh another reason, but it would have to be built up as well, and it just isn't there in this show.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Rukh would need to start working for Tarkin, and he's not the pet assassin/bounty hunter type, he wasn't even particularly fond of the Grand Inquisitor

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Well, they did specifically move Thrawn off of Lothal, which makes it difficult for Rukh to kill him, unless he comes back at some point.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Robot Style posted:

Well, they did specifically move Thrawn off of Lothal, which makes it difficult for Rukh to kill him, unless he comes back at some point.

Thrawn to Pryce: "I will deal with you when I return."
He'll be back.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh since they've been telegraphing it for like a whole year at this point when the time came instead of being sad i was glad that meant we could finally get on towards the end

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
It was a good episode, I hope Ezra gets as good of an ep. when that happens.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

These episodes did unspeakable things to my soul and are easily some of the best Rebels has produced

Also, the lighting during Hera's interrogation scene was beautiful

Fitting, for a lover of art, I suppose

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 21, 2018

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Why are we still spoiler-tagging stuff? The episode's aired.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Season's been telegraphing Kanan's so death hard, I saw it coming a mile away. But yet there I was, lump in throat and chest sinking seeing it play out. What a properly epic scene and a fitting send off for the character. So badass. There have been some particularly beautiful visuals surrounding Kanan's character this season and last, but that shot of him holding off the fire and keeping Hera back was just something else.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 21, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I almost hate to say this, but with Kanan gone I’m basically only watching for Thrawn and the story now. Zeb and Ezra are fairly uninteresting characters, and the show seems to have wrapped up any character arc for Sabine. Hera has some great moments, but she still feels like a very paper-thin character. Her biggest relationship on the show was with Kanan and now he’s gone. Maybe she’ll take over the role of Ezra’s mentor for the few episodes we have left. :shrug:

I like Rebels, but it never made me feel for any of its characters the same way TCW did with Ahsoka, Anakin, or even Obi-Wan.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I'm in it for Chopper

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Season needs more Mart

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Pops Mgee posted:

I'm in it for Chopper

This guy gets it. Chopper and Chewbacca are the best characters in the franchise, and they need a sitcom together.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dammit, now all I can see is Chewie and Chopper wearing top hats, sporting monocles and discussing the finer points of killing humans over a game of pazaak while the city burns down around them

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

banned from Starbucks posted:

Season needs more Mart

:wrong:

Show needs more bitchin’ space fights. E-wing please, especially since they’re canon now.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Is Hondo still alive?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Dammit, now all I can see is Chewie and Chopper wearing top hats, sporting monocles and discussing the finer points of killing humans over a game of pazaak while the city burns down around them

In a fire that Chopper started. He's got to be a cousin or uncle to Bender, with how much he seems to dislike any of the meatbags other people/aliens/robots he comes across.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Is Hondo still alive?

Yes, and he appeared in the mid season trailer, so we've got at least one more episode with him in it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m so tired of Hondo

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Icon Of Sin posted:

In a fire that Chopper started. He's got to be a cousin or uncle to Bender, with how much he seems to dislike any of the meatbags other people/aliens/robots he comes across.

He's an HK unit trapped in an astromech chassis and I hope he someday meets Beetee and Triple-Zero

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

VaultAggie posted:

:wrong:

Show needs more bitchin’ space fights. E-wing please, especially since they’re canon now.

Wait what

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Internet says they were in one issue of the Poe Dameron comic book

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I almost hate to say this, but with Kanan gone I’m basically only watching for Thrawn and the story now. Zeb and Ezra are fairly uninteresting characters, and the show seems to have wrapped up any character arc for Sabine. Hera has some great moments, but she still feels like a very paper-thin character. Her biggest relationship on the show was with Kanan and now he’s gone. Maybe she’ll take over the role of Ezra’s mentor for the few episodes we have left. :shrug:

I like Rebels, but it never made me feel for any of its characters the same way TCW did with Ahsoka, Anakin, or even Obi-Wan.

I'm still in for Ezra. Now, without a mentor, and one of the few "Jedi" (even in training), you know he's about to be on Palpatine's radar. He could die, he could fade into the background, he could decide to stay on Lothal as it's protector, he could become an apprentice of Palpatine (he won't, but you know, story wise, it's probably going to come up). I'm curious where they go before it's all over.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 21, 2018

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thrawn527 posted:

I'm still in for Ezra. Now, without a mentor, and one of the few "Jedi" (even in training), you know he's about to be on Palpatine's radar. He could die, he could fade into the background, he could decide to stay on Lothal as it's protector, he could become an apprentice of Palpatine (he won't, but you know, story wise, it's probably going to come up). I'm curious where they go before it's all over.

One of the few things that might make me excited for one of the non-mainline Disney Star Wars movies would be one about Ezra/Phoenix squadron but that will literally never happen.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I need to hear more of Hera's sassy French Twilek accent when she was telling off her dad.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
The part that choked me up was when Zeb realized what Ezra was telling him, and just immediately grabbed the poor kid up in a big hug.

The bits with Chopper, on the other hand, really bring to the foreground the disquiet I have with how Star Wars treats droids; I mean, this loving rolling garbage can is capable of that level of empathy, insight, and is clearly, therefore, a living, thinking, feeling, sentient being, and yet Star Wars treats them like, well, I expect to come across a droid named DR3D-SC077.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

That was definitely a part of the old EU. Droids rights activism. It's even worse when you remember most droids undergo frequent memory wipes specifically in order to prevent them from developing personalities. The Jedi were even used by the Republic as Pinkertons to crush the Great Droid Revolution.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 21, 2018

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

TheCenturion posted:

The part that choked me up was when Zeb realized what Ezra was telling him, and just immediately grabbed the poor kid up in a big hug.

The bits with Chopper, on the other hand, really bring to the foreground the disquiet I have with how Star Wars treats droids; I mean, this loving rolling garbage can is capable of that level of empathy, insight, and is clearly, therefore, a living, thinking, feeling, sentient being, and yet Star Wars treats them like, well, I expect to come across a droid named DR3D-SC077.

It's generally established that the droids that are capable of that level of thought are the ones that don't go through regular memory wipes and the such. Now, whether this is just a side effect of failing to do it or the entire purpose for doing it is a good question. No one knows how long K-2SO had been around in Rogue One either but he was showing signs of it and IIRC K2 models were implied to be older ones. Chopper probably hasn't been wiped since the Clone Wars, same as R2 at least. At face value it's definitely one of those weird sore spots to the franchise that most people just try not to think about.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Zebulon posted:

It's generally established that the droids that are capable of that level of thought are the ones that don't go through regular memory wipes and the such. Now, whether this is just a side effect of failing to do it or the entire purpose for doing it is a good question. No one knows how long K-2SO had been around in Rogue One either but he was showing signs of it and IIRC K2 models were implied to be older ones. Chopper probably hasn't been wiped since the Clone Wars, same as R2 at least. At face value it's definitely one of those weird sore spots to the franchise that most people just try not to think about.

I know, that's my point. At the end of ROTS, Bail Organa saying 'Looks like I own a pair of droids now. Have the anthropomorphic one who can actually talk back mind-wiped and put him to work' is played as comedy.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

At least we know Chopper survives up to Rogue One. :unsmith:

I can't see Rebels killing everyone off though. Out of everyone I hope Ezra's is done right.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vintersorg posted:

At least we know Chopper survives up to Rogue One. :unsmith:

I can't see Rebels killing everyone off though. Out of everyone I hope Ezra's is done right.

Man I'll be pretty ticked if they kill off this branch of the franchise, since it's the only one I really feel enthusiastic for anymore.

Even Kanan dying seems kind of nebulous. There was no corpse, and this show brought back Darth Maul after he fell down a bottomless pit so hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

IRQ posted:

Man I'll be pretty ticked if they kill off this branch of the franchise, since it's the only one I really feel enthusiastic for anymore.

Even Kanan dying seems kind of nebulous. There was no corpse, and this show brought back Darth Maul after he fell down a bottomless pit so hey.

Filoni was upgraded from showrunner on Rebels to Head of Lucasfilm Animation. He's going to have something new coming.

I'll be shocked if Kanan comes back. But then again, I'm still firmly in the "Ahsoka died" camp, and Filoni wore an "Ahsoka Lives" shirt at Celebration, so who the gently caress knows what will happen.

• Locked thread