Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've found its very important how tight or not tight you make the screws inside the NES in terms of reading games properly. Not sure why but it matters. It actually has to be pretty loose on mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I didn't expect this picture to own as hard as it did, I forget how lovely the AGS-101 screens are every time.

IIRC that setup rightly it doesn’t fit the GBC case flush when This does not compute covered it so there’s that to consider.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Didn't one of the retro roundtable guys announce he would be releasing something new for GBA backlight mods? I remember him saying he was dissatisfied with the current solutions for supplying voltage to the AGB 101 screens inside of classic Gameboy Advances.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

general chaos posted:

Didn't one of the retro roundtable guys announce he would be releasing something new for GBA backlight mods? I remember him saying he was dissatisfied with the current solutions for supplying voltage to the AGB 101 screens inside of classic Gameboy Advances.

That was voultar and he says a lot of stuff. I think he picks up a lot of interesting projects and moves on to other interesting projects before the last one is done. Love the guy, he's great, but he's not good at finishing stuff off that he talks about. To my body.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Well... I screwed up and accidentally hit "Cancel" on my TG submission for Gyruss. Hoping it can get reversed.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Woo! I found a copy of Final Fantasy for the NES. :toot:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Is there a reliable way to format flash drives for use with an Xbox? Mine just detects them as "damaged" but doesn't try to format them like so many guides say it should.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is there a reliable way to format flash drives for use with an Xbox? Mine just detects them as "damaged" but doesn't try to format them like so many guides say it should.

If what you're trying to do is do an initial install of a softmod or something, you basically need to use a FAT16-formatted smaller than 4 GB drive to get it read, once you have the softmod or a modchip in you can then use larger drives formatted in FAT32 for transferring files.

Best to go for 1 GB or 2 GB sized drive if you can manage it, some cheap old flash drive as long as it still works.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Well... I screwed up and accidentally hit "Cancel" on my TG submission for Gyruss. Hoping it can get reversed.

Just an update for those who kept their eye on this - I got contacted by TG staff, and they're likely going to reverse my dumb rear end mistake in 24 hours or less.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

agreed 100% tbh

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lizard Wizard posted:

I had to try a bunch of drives before I got one to work. I had to end up getting a fairly old one. I think I tried 5 before I got them to work. I ended up using a 2gb SanDisk Cruz (I think that's what it's called)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Does anyone remember what happened to the project where people were editing GBA game graphics/palettes back to more normal color brightness, to compensate for the original ROMs having brightness-boosts to try to handle the unlit original GBA screen better?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fishmech posted:

Does anyone remember what happened to the project where people were editing GBA game graphics/palettes back to more normal color brightness, to compensate for the original ROMs having brightness-boosts to try to handle the unlit original GBA screen better?

I know there's a patch for FF6 Advance that does this, dunno about other games

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I was playing Final Fantasy 9 for the first time on my laptop. I got pretty far into disc two. Then the hard drive died.

Is there anywhere that I can go to to get my game back to approximately where I was at the same levels? I know it's not going to be perfect but I'm not replaying all of this. Is there some sort of save editor for the game that will plop me somewhere in the middle of the game like that? I can't imagine there's going to be save file downloads that are going to be exactly where I was.

I really want to finish this game but if there's no way to do the above I'm unfortunately going to just give up on it and I don't wanna do that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
What version was it? I'm guessing you were emulating, because the actual PC release has cloud saves and all.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In old game music news, ZUNTATA's 3000-odd song library is now on Spotify. Supposedly this has all been on Apple Music since 2016, but its nice to see the tendrils spread further.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Way back last fall I lucked into some prototype SMS games that showed up at my local game store (https://imgur.com/a/Lc4bz). I ended up shipping them to Omar of http://www.smspower.org/ to see if there was anything new, unfortunately they had already been dumped.

He shipped them back, but also offered to have himself and Ben (the artist) sign and our copies Dragon's Trap re-release. The 2nd copy is of a friend whose a total NES fanboy.

I'm really not a fan of LRG, this is the only one I have mostly due to Omar being around the SMS scene for so long. Oh and also the retro cover.

falz fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 22, 2018

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Any Saturn owners buy the Gamer's Cartridge from here? I noticed they support SD cards. The Action Replay 4m Plus is cheaper, but I'm unsure if I want to deal with burning games to CDRs.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mill Village posted:

Any Saturn owners buy the Gamer's Cartridge from here? I noticed they support SD cards. The Action Replay 4m Plus is cheaper, but I'm unsure if I want to deal with burning games to CDRs.

From that page:
- Memory cartridge on SD card.
- Dump Saturn internal backup memory to SD card.
- Play small homebrew programs from SD card.

It does not actually play games from SD cards.

falz posted:

Way back last fall I lucked into some prototype SMS games that showed up at my local game store (https://imgur.com/a/Lc4bz). I ended up shipping them to Omar of http://www.smspower.org/ to see if there was anything new, unfortunately they had already been dumped.

He shipped them back, but also offered to have himself and Ben (the artist) sign and our copies Dragon's Trap re-release.

That's a pretty cool thing you did and got in return. What were the prototypes?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I don't know if this is frowned upon to talk about here, but if you want to play uh... backups of Saturn games, you're gonna want to get an action replay with pseudo saturn flashed on it. I have never actually messed with pseudo saturn myself so I don't really know much beyond that.

You definitely want a cart with 4MB of RAM because without it you can't play half of the cool 2D games for the system. Like all of Capcom's fighters use that extra memory. An Action Replay is pretty much mandatory for any Saturn owner even without pseudo saturn because you want that extra RAM and it will let you play Japanese games. A good two thirds of my Saturn games are Japanese imports because they're way cheaper. And there's lots of cool games that never got released here.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I guess I saw SD-Card support and got excited. I'll just buy the Action Replay 4M.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

What version was it? I'm guessing you were emulating, because the actual PC release has cloud saves and all.

Sorry, yes the iso on an emulator on my pc

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just got an email from Kickstarter that those retro 3P N64 controllers have started shipping.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Has anyone here had Retro Modding do the "Metal Jesus Rocks GBA v2" for them?

I didn't go for the full Metal Jesus version, but I had a custom one built about 1.5 years ago. The guy who runs the shop is a joy to work with and responds to messages very quickly, and was always happy to answer my questions.

I had no idea that the voltage issue was going to give me brightness levels sub SP-AGS-101 quality, so I was kind of underwhelmed when I got the thing. Really wishing I had waited and could get one built with the higher brightness, because it is really noticeable without it. Even not having anything to compare it to side by side, the first time I turned it on I was like "drat, this is not bright at all." The sharpness and all that is super impressive, but if you are for some reason on the fence definitely get the voltage thing for higher brightness.

I was also a bit underwhelmed by the build quality of the 3rd party shells and buttons. They feel pretty good but are definitely not as nice as using the real thing.

These criticisms are not about Retro Modding, as an actual shop they are great.

E: Another thing that kind of bothers me is I went with the bright yellow shell, and I guess because the plastic is a bit thin there is a pretty sizable ring of glow around the light that shines through the plastic. If you are going for a clear shell then I guess you would probably have this either way but I find it kind of distracting while playing in the dark.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 23, 2018

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

You definitely want a cart with 4MB of RAM because without it you can't play half of the cool 2D games for the system. Like all of Capcom's fighters use that extra memory.
This is an exaggeration. Only 32 games in the entire library use either RAM cart, and of those, 9 can be played without it (though I imagine you'd notice missing frames in sprite animations and such). Now, the remaining 23 does include some of the system's best fighters (Alpha/Zero 3, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, various King of Fighters entries), but otherwise, most of the system's 2D library runs fine on stock hardware. The list of those 32 games is here; you can judge for yourself whether they make an AR4-in1 purchase absolutely mandatory over a Gamer's Cartridge.

Also note that if you get an Action Replay, you're forced to use the incredibly small internal backup memory of the Saturn, as you can't save directly to the cart in-game. You can back that up to the AR4-in-1 ordinarily, using its own internal BIOS that starts up whenever the console is powered on, but I believe Pseudo Saturn removes that functionality entirely, so you're really stuck with that paltry internal save space. I forget if they're working on fixing this drawback or whether it was the AR codes they're working to disable (as Panzer Dragoon Saga gets snippy if it detects unofficial cartridges in the port, and the only work around is to use an AR code to tell it to pipe down),. The Gamer's Cartridge supposedly lets you save directly to the SD card you plop in there, but IIRC compatibility with this feature is spotty (and I've never had a Gamer's Cartridge to say either way).

That said, I do use an AR4-in-1 on a white Saturn, so I'm not gonna say it isn't a worthwhile investment - if you're not modding the system or cart to play backups, then it's incredibly useful for running imported games on different-region hardware. (If you are modding the console, there's a tool to patch the disc image's region encoding, so you can burn that and it'll play regardless.)

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Xenomrph posted:

Just got an email from Kickstarter that those retro 3P N64 controllers have started shipping.

hmm, i wonder if that includes any ordered from the website.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I use a combo of a mod chip (one wire to solder and each end of the wire is a huge solder point that is harder to gently caress up than to get right) and an action replay 4m plus. I had pseudo Saturn for a while but I wanted to use the backup ram functionality (you move stuff off of the Saturns internal ram to the AR to make room inside the Saturn) and cheat functionality. It's really the way to go and the mod chip is the easiest I've ever installed. You connect the ribbon cable that goes from the motherboard to the CD unit to the mod chip instead, and then use the included ribbon cable to then connect the other side of the chip to the CD unit. Then you solder 1 wire from the power supply unit to a big solder pad on the mod chip.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

oh snap

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Just get a saturn mod chip and a region free bios.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

So I'm having this problem on my Dreamcast where my controller stops working after a minute. As soon as I turn on the console or plug the controller, it works for approximately a minute and then stops responding. The console still runs normally. If I unplug then plug again, once more the controller works for a minute and then no longer.

This happens with and without the memory unit (I only have a Dreamcard 2mb). Can anyone please tell if the problem is my controller or maybe the controller port? Unfortunately I don't have another DC to test the controller.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I use a combo of a mod chip (one wire to solder and each end of the wire is a huge solder point that is harder to gently caress up than to get right) and an action replay 4m plus. I had pseudo Saturn for a while but I wanted to use the backup ram functionality (you move stuff off of the Saturns internal ram to the AR to make room inside the Saturn) and cheat functionality. It's really the way to go and the mod chip is the easiest I've ever installed. You connect the ribbon cable that goes from the motherboard to the CD unit to the mod chip instead, and then use the included ribbon cable to then connect the other side of the chip to the CD unit. Then you solder 1 wire from the power supply unit to a big solder pad on the mod chip.

I did buy a mod chip several years ago but I messed it up because I have no idea how to solder. Is there a soldering kit for newbies?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Negrostrike posted:

So I'm having this problem on my Dreamcast where my controller stops working after a minute. As soon as I turn on the console or plug the controller, it works for approximately a minute and then stops responding. The console still runs normally. If I unplug then plug again, once more the controller works for a minute and then no longer.

This happens with and without the memory unit (I only have a Dreamcard 2mb). Can anyone please tell if the problem is my controller or maybe the controller port? Unfortunately I don't have another DC to test the controller.

Probably the controller port. One my Dreamcast's is in fact doing that on port number 1 and just with one controller, not with any of the others I got around. Same controller works fine on the other Dreamcasts and even in the "bad" one if it's on port 2. The fix seems somewhat easy to do so I think I'll try it soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqRXJ3zzw5I

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Soldering tips: use flux. I use a flux pen. Clean the area you want to solder to with alcohol, then lather it with flux, apply some solder to the point, then place the wire on the solder blob, heat up the blob with the iron, push the wire into the now liquified blob, remove the iron from the blob, in a few seconds the blob will harden again and then you've soldered successfully.

The flux helps with adhesion and ive found it also helps prevent bridging between pins on chips (not relevant for the Saturn since the point you solder to on a Saturn is not a pin on a chip, but still good to know) because it promotes solder adhesion.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Voultar is livestreaming right now guys

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Mill Village posted:

I did buy a mod chip several years ago but I messed it up because I have no idea how to solder. Is there a soldering kit for newbies?

I've linked this a bunch of time but it's a good and cheap way to learn and the practice board/guide is really good

https://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Deluxe-Learn-Solder-tools/dp/B004C38828/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1519350104&sr=8-6&keywords=elenco+soldering+kit

It comes with a bunch of useful tools and an "ok" soldering iron. Throw out the crappy thick lead free solder that comes with it and instead use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Kester-24-6337-0010-Rosin-Solder-SPOOL/dp/B00068IJWC

Use this to clean the iron frequently as you use it.

https://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-Solder...der+tip+cleaner

The rhythm should be: "tin" the tip by melting solder all over it, wipe the excess with this sponge thing (at this point the whole tip should be shiny silver and smooth without "blobs" of solder), solder a few joints, wipe, tin, wipe again, repeat. always wipe and then tin the tip (don't wipe again) and leave solder all over it when you turn off the iron, this prevents the tip from oxidizing and becoming unusable.

Use the chisel tip that comes with the iron, never the pencil style tip (both are in the package). Once you're confident with the iron from that package and are ready to do real work get this iron, it will make the job a lot easier (but it's best to learn with the one from the kit):

https://www.hakkousa.com/products/soldering/hakko-fx-888d-digital-soldering-station-10143.html - note, buy this iron direct from hakko or another reputable place, not random amazon or ebay sellers. it's widely bootlegged.

For leaded solder the iron should be around 350C

As far as flux goes I don't really like to use a ton of it unless I'm having a hard time soldering to a surface. Clean everything with 99% isopropyl beforehand and you should be good with just the flux in the solder (assuming you're using the flux core solder I linked)

At some point you will have to remove solder, I don't really like solder wick/braid and prefer vacuum style desoldering. I use a Hakko FR-300 automatic desoldering gun but if you're starting out try one of these manual ones (avoid the really cheap ones):

https://www.amazon.com/Engineer-SS-...0_&dpSrc=detail

https://www.amazon.com/Edsyn-Deluxe-Soldapullt-Heavy-Vacuum/dp/B006GOKVKI/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1519351042&sr=1-2&keywords=soldapullt

Just heat the solder you want to remove so it's liquid and pump it out.

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 23, 2018

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I have a spare modded white saturn I should probably sell...

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

d0s posted:

oh snap

FYI, at one point those switches had some sort of wiring "fault" with the 5th port. Can't remember the specifics. But if you notice weird stuff like console power lights illuminating when they're turned off then just unplug whatever is in the 5th port.

Edit: Here's a thread about the electrical gremlins. They're fixable.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 23, 2018

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

FYI, at one point those switches had some sort of wiring "fault" with the 5th port. Can't remember the specifics. But if you notice weird stuff like console power lights illuminating when they're turned off then just unplug whatever is in the 5th port.

Edit: Here's a thread about the electrical gremlins. They're fixable.

I think those issues are gone with the newer ones, I've spoken to a few people who have gotten this thing recently (past year or so) and they don't report anything but I'll keep the thread in mind if I notice something

edit: I am also not using a sync stripper

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This is a total longshot, but does anyone have a Super Famicom Parodius da manual that they can scan the two pages of the game's bosses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Shadow Hog posted:

This is an exaggeration. Only 32 games in the entire library use either RAM cart, and of those, 9 can be played without it (though I imagine you'd notice missing frames in sprite animations and such). Now, the remaining 23 does include some of the system's best fighters (Alpha/Zero 3, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, various King of Fighters entries), but otherwise, most of the system's 2D library runs fine on stock hardware. The list of those 32 games is here; you can judge for yourself whether they make an AR4-in1 purchase absolutely mandatory over a Gamer's Cartridge.

Also note that if you get an Action Replay, you're forced to use the incredibly small internal backup memory of the Saturn, as you can't save directly to the cart in-game. You can back that up to the AR4-in-1 ordinarily, using its own internal BIOS that starts up whenever the console is powered on, but I believe Pseudo Saturn removes that functionality entirely, so you're really stuck with that paltry internal save space. I forget if they're working on fixing this drawback or whether it was the AR codes they're working to disable (as Panzer Dragoon Saga gets snippy if it detects unofficial cartridges in the port, and the only work around is to use an AR code to tell it to pipe down),. The Gamer's Cartridge supposedly lets you save directly to the SD card you plop in there, but IIRC compatibility with this feature is spotty (and I've never had a Gamer's Cartridge to say either way).

That said, I do use an AR4-in-1 on a white Saturn, so I'm not gonna say it isn't a worthwhile investment - if you're not modding the system or cart to play backups, then it's incredibly useful for running imported games on different-region hardware. (If you are modding the console, there's a tool to patch the disc image's region encoding, so you can burn that and it'll play regardless.)

Well I mean if you don't like fighting games then you don't need the extra RAM. But if you do it's absolutely mandatory.

There's a weird quirk where the SNK games were designed for the 1MB cart and actually work better with that for some reason. Like, Metal Slug is less laggy with the 1MB cart than the 4MB one. It's weird. But I mean, if you want to play Metal Slug, there's easier and less expensive ways to do it than importing it for the Saturn.

Also KOF '95 has its own special, weird cart that has the graphical data on it. So you can't play KOF '95 unless you have a Japanese system or one that's region-modded. But this isn't a big deal because there's better KOF games out there.