Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Whiz Palace posted:

Dan Quayle's way younger (71) than I was expecting given how ancient references to him seem.

IIRC in the '80s he was seen as the fresh young face of the Republican Party, and part of the reason why he was nominated to VP was so that he would have a springboard for a future Presidential run.

Then he was murdered in the VP debate and over the next few years it turned out he was a giant moron so everything was quietly swept under the rug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Did anyone ask for any of these revivals we're getting?

I'd loving murder someone for a Rosanne reboot. Lucky for everyone, I don't have to.

I just can't decide which Becky I love mostest.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like part of that factor is the changing technology that brings moving pictures to the screen. TV was pretty well analog up until 20 years ago. I'm not an expert, but all the way until the 80's when VHS became pretty ubiquitous, TV was filmed on film and that had to be processed and edited and transferred into a format that could be sent out to all the affiliate stations. Later satellite replaced shipping physical copies, and now it's the internet.

With digital recording and editing, you cut the time down by a lot. Digital also cuts down the cost of equipment and processing and all the other back end expenses that TV (and movies) used to require. So anyone with a bit of money can hire a B-level actor for an afternoon, and now a straight to streaming movie that no one cares about exists starring an actor people recognize.

I don't really thing that the digital "film" revolution is a bad thing as a whole because it really does open up opportunities that weren't available 30 years ago for an aspiring film maker, but it increased the amount of chaff that needs to be waded through.

edit: now that I actually read what you wrote more clearly, yep, tv was on film until, heck, the late 90's? I'm gonna leave my dumb off-topic post whole though because seriously, it's a really cool thing.

Film for tv stock went out in the 60's. They had analog magnetic tape by then. Bulky as hell, but better than trying to process film stock from a live video feed in 3 hours which is literally what they had to do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadruplex_videotape

quote:

This was because there were only three hours for the West Coast branches of the TV networks to receive video for the programming from the East Coast (live via leased microwave relay or coaxial cable circuits provided by the phone company (AT&T) at the time), and then to record such to kinescope films, and finally to develop the film to be aired three hours later on the West Coast. This usually meant the kinescope was aired almost immediately after it came straight out of the developing equipment, still warm from the film dryer. These were referred to by the networks as "hot kines". By 1954, the networks used more raw film stock for kinescopes than all of the Hollywood film studios combined, spending up to $4,000 per half hour.

Pretty cool stuff, to be honest.

ryonguy has a new favorite as of 17:27 on Feb 22, 2018

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'd loving murder someone for a Rosanne reboot. Lucky for everyone, I don't have to.

I read that the Conners are a "trump family" with one holdout and that it's going to be a major plotline. I'm sure it'll be great, Roseanne Barr is so centered and grounded

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Oh my God I first read that as "I love to molest" until I realised I'm not in the Unnerving Thread.
While I'm interested in the Roseanne reboot I'm a bit worried that Barr's crazy is going to seep in. I liked her so much more when see was just a "regular Jane" type publicly but she is bugnuts now. Please don't ruin my immersion Roseanne!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wheat Loaf posted:

One piece of trivia I've come to enjoy is that Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Donald Trump, despite each being president in three different decades, are all (approximately) the same age.

Baby Boomers have a death grip on power.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ironically, one of the only times I can think of where the showrunners actually did have a very specific ending in mind and went through great pains to make sure it happened... it was How I Met Your Mother and 90% of the audience hated it.

What they couldn't have known back when they first planned it was that the will-they-won't-they on which they banked everything would get run into the ground, buried, dug up, and hacked to pieces over the course of the series. Tough break I guess.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Both Becky are best Becky?

Stairs posted:

Oh my God I first read that as "I love to molest" until I realised I'm not in the Unnerving Thread.
While I'm interested in the Roseanne reboot I'm a bit worried that Barr's crazy is going to seep in. I liked her so much more when see was just a "regular Jane" type publicly but she is bugnuts now. Please don't ruin my immersion Roseanne!

She was getting that way towards the end of the original run.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

big cummers ONLY posted:

I read that the Conners are a "trump family" with one holdout and that it's going to be a major plotline. I'm sure it'll be great, Roseanne Barr is so centered and grounded

Bet it's gonna be DJ. DJ will be a libertarian.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Ironically, one of the only times I can think of where the showrunners actually did have a very specific ending in mind and went through great pains to make sure it happened... it was How I Met Your Mother and 90% of the audience hated it.

What they couldn't have known back when they first planned it was that the will-they-won't-they on which they banked everything would get run into the ground, buried, dug up, and hacked to pieces over the course of the series. Tough break I guess.

Yeah I think they only expected the show to be a few seasons and not 9 or whatever. It probably would've worked a lot better if the show didn't get so popular.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bet it's gonna be DJ. DJ will be a libertarian.

Early previews show D.J. as marrying a Black woman. So yeah, he'll be the progressive. The good thing about Rosanne is that John Goldman mostly tempered Rosanne's craziest aspects. I'd like to believe he wouldn't have joined up if it wasn't a good storyline.

kupachek posted:

Both Becky are best Becky?

I know, right? Like this is some serious King Solomon poo poo.

I'd probably go for new Becky because she was also on Scrubs.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I was assuming it would be Darlene and hadn't even considered it could be someone else. Makes sense it would be DJ, the kid who kept doll body parts in shoeboxes under his bed and loved peeping on Becky in the shower. I hope this isn't a setup for the weakest strawman of all time.

I'm abnormally invested in Roseanne, sorry for the minor derail.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

big cummers ONLY posted:

I was assuming it would be Darlene and hadn't even considered it could be someone else. Makes sense it would be DJ, the kid who kept doll body parts in shoeboxes under his bed and loved peeping on Becky in the shower. I hope this isn't a setup for the weakest strawman of all time.

I'm abnormally invested in Roseanne, sorry for the minor derail.

Considering they previously floated the concept of DJ joining up and going off to war in the Middle East, and the fact that Darlene is.. well, Darlene, I'd put my money on her.

I'm not invested in it or anything, but I did watch it during the original run and maybe a couple times since then. No more than three. Some aspects of it held up pretty well.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I never thought the kid that played DJ could project the sense that his character had a soul or any kind of interior life.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I never thought the kid that played DJ could project the sense that his character had a soul or any kind of interior life.

Being a cute kid who can memorize and recite dialog doesn't necessarily create the grounds for a good actor.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

He was on that show for like 8 or 9 years, during which Rosanne was like the number 1 or 2 TV show for maybe half that time. When the show ended I read an interview with him where he was struggling to even buy a house. He hadn't yet put 1 and 1 together to realize he'd probably been cheated out of all his earnings.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Solice Kirsk posted:

This. Also watch for the fake exit. Det. Columbo owns the fake exit.

A strange thing about Columbo: It had increasingly unrelated (literally) spin off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs._Columbo

"Mrs. Columbo, later known as Kate Columbo, followed by Kate the Detective and then ultimately Kate Loves a Mystery is an American crime drama television series initially based on the wife of Lieutenant Columbo"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

JediTalentAgent posted:

A strange thing about Columbo: It had increasingly unrelated (literally) spin off.

"Mrs. Columbo, later known as Kate Columbo, followed by Kate the Detective and then ultimately Kate Loves a Mystery is an American crime drama television series initially based on the wife of Lieutenant Columbo"

And all over 13 eps too

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

They lied.

It was pretty much when I stopped watching that show, too, when I figured out not only did the Cylons not have a plan, the writers had their heads up their arses.

They didn't know who/what Head Six was when they started. Just kept dropping crazier and crazier hints whilst they made it up on the spot. Same with the Daniel subplot, which they introduced because the writers can't do basic loving arithmetic.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Volcott posted:

Babylon 5. With outs in case any of the actors died or quit.

Except they thought they would be cancelled at the end of S4 so they rushed their major storylines to completion, leaving Season 5 to be about some business with psychics I think (good last episode, though.)

No plan survives contact with reality.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Around the time that season 2 or later was close to ending production, I seem to recall an article in in some magazine like Time, Newsweek, People, EW, etc. where they were interviewing Boxleitner on the final days of filming. I think he was commenting something like he'd and several other folks who worked on the show were really frustrated with how the studio was dragging out the renewal notice.

The tone made it sound like on most other shows of this sort, the cast/crew would have known well before the end of filming the final episodes of the season if they were getting picked up again or not. It would have given the show a chance to tie up loose ends, for the cast/crew to start looking for other jobs, figure out what to do with sets, etc.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

big cummers ONLY posted:

Roseanne is one of my favorite shows of all time, and I love the terrible seasons just as much as the actual good seasons, but I don't know if my heart can take this.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

JediTalentAgent posted:

The increasing vagueness and decreasing gravity of the title is not a good sign.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Conners were blue collar, weren't very smart and got consistently hosed over by the system so of course they'd be Trump supporters. But what's the point of a revival if all you're going to do is make another Tim Allen sitcom. It will probably make fun of both sides.

Anything's better than that last season.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Columbo only ever mentions his wife when he's trying to get a suspect to over-share. I always assumed he'd made her up because of how she always coincidentally happened to have a loose interest in something case relevant.

In fact, I absolutely still prefer this interpretation, and as long as I never see Mrs. Columbo the show, I can pretend its true. Columbo is only married to his craft, which is putting rich, murdering smuggos in jail.

(everyone watch more columbo)

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Not Operator posted:

I have already watched all the Columbo.

(Some of the later ones are actually pretty bad.)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Not Operator posted:

Columbo only ever mentions his wife when he's trying to get a suspect to over-share. I always assumed he'd made her up because of how she always coincidentally happened to have a loose interest in something case relevant.

In fact, I absolutely still prefer this interpretation, and as long as I never see Mrs. Columbo the show, I can pretend its true. Columbo is only married to his craft, which is putting rich, murdering smuggos in jail.

He never shows up in Mrs. Columbo, either. One of his green cigars is smoldering in an ashtray, though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

food court bailiff posted:

He never shows up in Mrs. Columbo, either. One of his green cigars is smoldering in an ashtray, though.

His car appears in the opening credits:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Not Operator posted:

The episode "Troubled Waters" has the Columbos on a cruise. While she's not seen by audience, others aboard interacted with her.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

I saw one episode of it early on and hated it. Years later I found out it had only just then ended because of the backlash against the show ending in the way that it was very obviously going to end. I'm not sure how people did not see that coming.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

They didn't know who/what Head Six was when they started. Just kept dropping crazier and crazier hints whilst they made it up on the spot. Same with the Daniel subplot, which they introduced because the writers can't do basic loving arithmetic.

I liked the entirety of BSG but there's no denying the ending would have made a lot more sense if the fan-theory that Starbuck was Daniel's daughter was true.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

JediTalentAgent posted:

This thread brings up Columbo, like every 30 pages; inevitably followed by someone mentioning the existence of Mrs. Columbo and I'm not sure what I have to do to get the 1st part without the 2nd.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This thread brings up Columbo, like every 30 pages; inevitably followed by someone mentioning the existence of Mrs. Columbo and I'm not sure what I have to do to get the 1st part without the 2nd.

It's like anytime someone mentions Super Mario Bros 2 someone inevitably says "In japan, it's known as Doki Doki panic." You just have to accept that it's going to happen.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
A strange thing about Doki Doki Panic, it had an increasingly unrelated spinoff called Mrs. Doki Doki Panic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JediTalentAgent posted:

Around the time that season 2 or later was close to ending production, I seem to recall an article in in some magazine like Time, Newsweek, People, EW, etc. where they were interviewing Boxleitner on the final days of filming. I think he was commenting something like he'd and several other folks who worked on the show were really frustrated with how the studio was dragging out the renewal notice.

The tone made it sound like on most other shows of this sort, the cast/crew would have known well before the end of filming the final episodes of the season if they were getting picked up again or not. It would have given the show a chance to tie up loose ends, for the cast/crew to start looking for other jobs, figure out what to do with sets, etc.

Straczynski never intended to tie up loose ends if B5 got cancelled, the story would simply stop. S4 was an exception to that because they were told before production began that it was the last season.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Capt’Janway was really young compared to Columbo wasn’t she? The actress couldn’t have been out of her 20’s in the 80’s.

Looks like she was 24. The actress has always looked older than her age but whoohoo Mr. Columbo.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

rodbeard posted:

I saw one episode of it early on and hated it. Years later I found out it had only just then ended because of the backlash against the show ending in the way that it was very obviously going to end. I'm not sure how people did not see that coming.

IDK if it makes sense to use spoilers but why not.
People didn't see it coming because they already had Ted & Robin get together and break up several times and ended up at a point where Ted finally accepted that it wasn't working, and he moved on and found The Mother, who also happened to be perfectly cast and won the audience over. But they still insisted on killing her and going back to that well again.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

John Murdoch posted:

A strange thing about Doki Doki Panic, it had an increasingly unrelated spinoff called Mrs. Doki Doki Panic.

Did you know in America it's called Mrs. Super Mario Bros 2?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ariong posted:

There’s a website called Dead Homer Society run by a group of people that think The Simpsons should now be cancelled, and it has a series of articles detailing how the classic Simpsons became the “zombie” Simpsons we know today. While I think that the people behind this website are unfairly harsh to modern Simpsons and it really isn’t that bad, I do like the parts of this series which explain the pre-Simpsons TV environment and why the Simpsons was so revolutionary. It touches on a lot of stuff Iron Crowned mentioned in their post, and it’s a good read!

https://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/zs2/
https://deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/zs3/

Note: This article was written back when people still though Bill Cosby was a cool guy. Hey, The Cosby Show! There’s one that one aged like a fine milk.

That was... actually not nearly as crazy and strident as I was expecting (old SNPP hand here). There's some interesting stuff here for anyone who wants a relatively well-argued opinion on the decline of the Simpsons. I don't actually agree with a some of it (I see "The Principal and the Pauper" as more of chaotic burn down the world moment rather than "The writers were out of ideas, and the fans were attached to what they already knew") but unlike a lot of material like this I can't imagine the author wiping flecks of foam out of his beard while he writes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Did you know in America it's called Mrs. Super Mario Bros 2?

Later known as Super Princess Peach, followed by Toadstool the Princess, and then ultimately Peach Loves a Cake.

Doggles has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Feb 23, 2018