Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Um

The four month sleep regression is a very real thing for the vast majority of babies. So... hopefully you continue to stay lucky.

Mine was sleeping 8pm-4am, nursed, conked back out until 7 or 8am until right around four months.

He didn't start sleeping consistently through the night again until he was 2.5 years old, and woke up every two or three hours every night from 4 months until almost a year.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lord Wexia posted:

Did we just get lucky? I read some thing that recommended babies sleep in the same room as parents until like 6 months and the thought of that just sounds miserable.

yeah but it's not super uncommon to have a chill kid. we got lucky with ours, she was never colicky, only cried when something was wrong, always a good sleeper and eater, not picky, etc. a friend of ours whose infant boy we watch got lucky too, he's such a calm little happy guy

parents with more difficult kids just naturally post more about how difficult their kids are than those of us who lucked out and got easy kids. just enjoy your fortune and hope that it continues to hold out :)

Thwomp posted:

Am I crazy for freaking out just a little bit that my 3.5 year old got up on his own at some point early this morning and went downstairs by himself and kept himself occupied until after I got out of the shower?

imo thats just parental overprotection kicking in. 3.5 years is old enough to be alone in the house with an adult present but without direct supervision so long as your house doesn't have any obvious hazards. i'd just be glad that he didn't wake you up or barge in on you in the shower demanding breakfast

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 20, 2018

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
May you miss the four month sleep regression.
And the six month regression
And the eight month regression
Listen, it’s regressions all the way down

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

sheri posted:

Um

The four month sleep regression is a very real thing for the vast majority of babies. So... hopefully you continue to stay lucky.

Mine was sleeping 8pm-4am, nursed, conked back out until 7 or 8am until right around four months.

He didn't start sleeping consistently through the night again until he was 2.5 years old, and woke up every two or three hours every night from 4 months until almost a year.

Oh no dear lord don't tell me this.

I've been mostly uninformed about parenting so far and it has worked out great. Hopefully that continues!

kirsty
Apr 24, 2007
Too lazy and too broke

Lord Wexia posted:

He's almost 4 months now and he has been sleeping on his own in his crib (with a video monitor) since he was about 2 months old.

Some kids are always great at sleeping and I hope your little one continues to be an awesome sleeper, but that quote right there made me laugh so hard because the four month sleep regression is very very real.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
We are at 6 months with no sleep regressions, and a baby who's had relatively the same sleep schedule for four months (one up to feed at night, moved from 3am to 5am in the last 1.5 months). She sleeps in our room and I can't fathom her in her own room 😭 love hearing her giggle in her sleep!

I need some feeding suggestions! She's happily on to first solids, and has liked almost everything but still gets cranky if her mashed avocado or banana is too lumpy. Otherwise, the only food she hates is .... peanut butter. We've tried the puree with water, I tried mixing it with fruit puree, and mixing it with her cereal to no avail. Any suggestions?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We did infant lead weaning and that worked well for us.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Spadoink posted:

Otherwise, the only food she hates is .... peanut butter. We've tried the puree with water, I tried mixing it with fruit puree, and mixing it with her cereal to no avail. Any suggestions?

If you’re trying to give her peanut butter for allergy reasons, try Bamba. It’s basically a cheese doodle that’s peanut butter flavored instead of cheese flavored. It’s a common snack in Israel and thought to be the reason few Israelis have peanut allergies. You can find it on Amazon and Trader Joe’s makes one. My kid never liked the texture of peanut butter either.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Make peanut butter cookies?? ;)

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

54 40 or gently caress posted:

May you miss the four month sleep regression.
And the six month regression
And the eight month regression
Listen, it’s regressions all the way down

This.

sheri posted:

And this.

My kid was a great sleeper until we hit that first sleep regression. I think she's finally turning the corner on the eight month one after a month of waking every sleep cycle. There was a whole string of nights where I breast fed her 5-6 times a night.

She's now back to 2-3 feeds a night but the rest of the interruptions are now frequent nightmares. Yay?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a big bag of 2t socks? Every baby store sells a 3-pack of slightly different socks that are slowly going missing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Tagichatn posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a big bag of 2t socks? Every baby store sells a 3-pack of slightly different socks that are slowly going missing.

They're down there in that pocket dimension behind their crib mattress along with all the pacifiers, clean diapers that still fit, and vomit-free onesies. Basically Treasure Planet.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Tagichatn posted:

Costco?

Also, anyone have advice on dealing with cold sores? It looks like our 2 year old has got one, and my wife and I don’t have experience of dealing with them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Alterian posted:

We did infant lead weaning and that worked well for us.

Lead is pretty bad for infants and kids in general :downs:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Spadoink posted:

We are at 6 months with no sleep regressions, and a baby who's had relatively the same sleep schedule for four months (one up to feed at night, moved from 3am to 5am in the last 1.5 months). She sleeps in our room and I can't fathom her in her own room 😭 love hearing her giggle in her sleep!

I need some feeding suggestions! She's happily on to first solids, and has liked almost everything but still gets cranky if her mashed avocado or banana is too lumpy. Otherwise, the only food she hates is .... peanut butter. We've tried the puree with water, I tried mixing it with fruit puree, and mixing it with her cereal to no avail. Any suggestions?

My guy is in our room too and I can’t imagine it either. I love it when he snuggles up to me, it’s so cute

Baby-led weaning worked well for us, he eats anything. That may change later but basically as long as it’s soft enough, and no longer or wider than your pinky finger. Hummus on baby mum mums is a big hit for us because it’s a good way to get a decent amount of nutrition via the hummus in an easy way, the mum mum

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

We have a eight month old, and she sleeps in our room. I can't really imagine having it any other way, if only for the convenience. When she wakes up crying, usually I barely have to wake up. I just flop to the side, fumble around for the pacifier, put it in, and we're both asleep again in seconds. Having to stand up and walk across the hall sounds hard. Not to mention that the kid has probably spent a good while getting herself worked up enough to wake you up from another room, and so is probably a lot more upset and takes longer to soothe.

Also, listening to her breathing and fumbling around in her sleep is immensely calming and helps me fall asleep. :shobon:

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
In think the in-room and own-room sleeping situation just probably has a lot to do with what kind of sleeper you are. I am personally a heavy sleeper and it takes a little bit of doing to wake me up. I also love falling asleep to noise like podcasts, music, or whatever (probably a bad habit).

My wife on the other hand needs complete darkness and silence apart from a white noise sound machine. In any conditions other than that she can barely go to sleep or stay asleep. For us, having our little dude in the room with us made it impossible for her to go to sleep, which in turn kept me up most of the time. I agree that it is a pain to go down the hall (or upstairs in our case) when he wakes up for a feeding, but at least we can sleep in-between.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Any tips for sleeping arrangements with number two on the way?

We have a 2 and a bit year old who is a pretty good sleeper (sleeps in his own room, and always has), but we aren't sure how to add a baby in to the mix. We'd like them to share a room eventually (only two bedrooms upstairs), but are unsure how long to wait (if at all).

Thanks!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We have another one on the way. We're going to have the new baby sleep in our room for the first year most likely and then they will share the bedroom with our other kid. We're going to play it by ear and see how it goes.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

When we had #3 we moved 2 into 1’s room when she was about a year and a half. We wanted to do it before the baby was born because we didn’t want to associate her getting kicked out of the room with the baby.

They loved it. We regularly go in in a morning to them in bed with each other.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Today I will try and go grocery shopping with the boys, alone. They're too big now to sit in the cart so they'll have to run free.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

His Divine Shadow posted:

Today I will try and go grocery shopping with the boys, alone. They're too big now to sit in the cart so they'll have to run free.

I make mine keep one hand on the grocery cart at all times. It doesn't always work, but it keeps them close enough to manage.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

We’ve started taking two trollies when we go shopping. I put the three in mine, and my wife is free to put shopping in hers.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Our grocery stores have the tiny carts for kids. It's perfect. They love it and feel like they're helping and since you can actually put stuff in it... They are!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Our grocery stores have the tiny carts for kids. It's perfect. They love it and feel like they're helping and since you can actually put stuff in it... They are!

These are the bane of people with "high energy" children.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Alterian posted:

Yea. I’d feel sorry for everyone’s ankles if my 5 year old was the driver.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Oodles posted:

Yea. I’d feel sorry for everyone’s ankles if my 5 year old was the driver.

We let my 2 yr old do it once in Trader Joe's. It was OK till he clipped a dude's ankles right as we were leaving :smith: Sorry random guy.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

BonoMan posted:

I used one of those once and filled it with discount booze. My kid gleefully pushed it around store, and it was just heavy enough to prevent him from going too fast.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Alterian posted:

They started tipping them over for fun today. But otherwise it went easier than expected.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

They started tipping them over for fun today. But otherwise it went easier than expected.

Too bad you're all the way over in Finland. I think our kids would get along.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

VorpalBunny posted:

I used one of those once and filled it with discount booze. My kid gleefully pushed it around store, and it was just heavy enough to prevent him from going too fast.

Great idea, but I suspect that this might set folks up for a very judgmental shopping experience.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Great idea, but I suspect that this might set folks up for a very judgmental shopping experience.

That's half the fun.

also, last night was the first night "alone" with my 3yr old son, with the soon-to-be-ex at her new apartment. Was pretty heartbreaking.

Don't know how much was related to mom (and dresser) not being there and how much was just him getting progressively more like this as time passes but he wanted me to stand outside his door and not go anywhere for a long time, and just burst out crying if he thought I moved away at all (even if I was still standing there). Ended up finally falling asleep more than an hour after he should have been asleep.

He's gonna have a lot of adjusting to do.

Anyone have any advice?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

GlyphGryph posted:

Anyone have any advice?

Love him. Be there for him. Comfort him.

But don't replace actual love with buying him things.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It might help to get a professional involved. They would be the best to ask for advice. His pediatrician is where I would start.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

That's half the fun.

also, last night was the first night "alone" with my 3yr old son, with the soon-to-be-ex at her new apartment. Was pretty heartbreaking.

Don't know how much was related to mom (and dresser) not being there and how much was just him getting progressively more like this as time passes but he wanted me to stand outside his door and not go anywhere for a long time, and just burst out crying if he thought I moved away at all (even if I was still standing there). Ended up finally falling asleep more than an hour after he should have been asleep.

Anyone have any advice?

It's gonna be a huge and scary change for him. Mom and Dad together have (presumably) been there every single day of his life until now, and then suddenly Mom has gone and he probably doesn't really understand why. Just be patient and be there for him, be willing to indulge stuff like what happened last night for a while, and he'll adjust.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Alterian posted:

It might help to get a professional involved. They would be the best to ask for advice. His pediatrician is where I would start.

When my parents divorced, I went to counseling for a couple of months. I don’t know if it helped, but it certainly didn’t hurt.

I recommend doing that with your son (now that I remember that)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

GlyphGryph posted:

That's half the fun.

Anyone have any advice?
My parents got divorced, and all I can say is to try not to be the Goofus my dad was. Always take the high road, sincerely and not passive aggressively. Don't try to bribe your kid into liking you, and don't feel guilty if you establish reasonable boundaries, enforce them, and your kid resents you for them.

My dad cheated on my mom for the second time leading to their divorce. The first time happened when I was your kids age (I have no memory of it) and the second time when I was around 13. Therapy definitely helped to sort through my feelings about it. My dad moved far away and wanted us to live with him. I chose to stay with my mom and my brother moved with my dad.

With my brother Living with my dad, it was clear my dad dumped a lot of the hard work and responsibility in regard to parenting on my mom because once my dad and stepmom had him suddenly they were overwhelmed. These days, my brother blames my stepmom for the problems he had up there, and can't seem to hold my dad accountable.

Anyway, sorry for the TLDR. The reason I brought it up is because I told myself I'd never want to pull the same poo poo to my own kids in that situation. Swallow your pride, evaluate your guilt, and always try to put your kid first without coming off as a martyr. They might not like it now, but they'll come around eventually. My mom took the high road in the divorce and not only is she far happier years later but I have a much better relationship with her.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I used to be so judgy about people being late.

I did not understand how hard it is to be on time when you have kids.

I tried to be an hour early to work today so I could catch up on work. I'm now on the bus and going to be a couple of mins late.

I want to go back in time and apologize to all the parents I was silently judging in my head.

I am sorry. I did not know.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Leng posted:

I used to be so judgy about people being late.

I did not understand how hard it is to be on time when you have kids.

I tried to be an hour early to work today so I could catch up on work. I'm now on the bus and going to be a couple of mins late.

I want to go back in time and apologize to all the parents I was silently judging in my head.

I am sorry. I did not know.

"Kid, will you please put your clothes on? I still need to get a shower and we're running late."

*my 5 year old son, marching around in the nude, jumping off various bits of furniture*

"Dad, why do hot things make cold things hot, and cold things make hot things cold?"

"I'll tell you about it in the car dude, look your clothes are there, I've really gotta get in the shower now or -"

"Dad, if I had an icecube and took it to a volcano what would happen?"

"It'd melt, now no more questions until we're dressed and in the car."

*kid is still completely nude, now in a huff*

"I'm just asking questions Dad."

*I get fed up and go to grab him and get his clothes on, he sees the opportunity for a game and runs off giggling*

:supaburn:

This is my every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh man speaking of all of that. At 3 and a half we're now firmly beginning the "why?" phase. Before you have kids you always think "oh that's gonna be amazing I'M GOING TO TEACH THEM SO MANY THINGS!"

In reality it's, uh, not that. At least not right now.