Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

the panacea posted:

In media unicorn News: Vox is laying off 5% of their workforce. There are rumors going around of an ever higher cut at Vice similar to Buzzfeeds triple digits last year.

:commissar::capitalism:

You make it sound like a bad thing. I mean, it is a bad thing for the people losing their jobs, but it is a good thing for the world in general:

quote:

Vox Media will also wind down its focus on native social video.

quote:

The pivot away from video comes after leadership decided it "won’t be viable audience or revenue growth drivers for us relative to other investments we are making."

"Building a company requires us to take calculated risks," said Bankoff. "I take responsibility for bets that don’t work out."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliareinstein/vox-media-layoffs?utm_term=.ctnllxE43#.qlbNNPQOb

The "focus on Facebook videos" that brought us stupid silent videos, muted videos, 1:1 aspect ratio videos and listicles in video form is apparently not the future of the Internet, thank goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Maybe Google should just get rid of their dumbass internal message board. Who the hell thought any good would come out of it

Nah the message boards are fine and really useful actually. This whole internal crisis thing is more a media narrative than an actual big thing. When Advanced Auto fires Joe for going on a racist rant about the Mexicans BuzzFeed doesn't give a poo poo, but articles about how bad it is to work for Google get a whole bunch of clicks.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Vegetable posted:

Maybe Google should just get rid of their dumbass internal message board. Who the hell thought any good would come out of it
It's good for Google because they can keep an eye on employee dissatisfaction and intervene if it looks like any real pushback or organization is in the works. It is NOT good for employees because they should be discussing grievances in a secure setting without management oversight.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The internal meme site is one of the best parts of Google's culture. Pretty sure it's unusual for a company to have a forum, created on company time, running on company servers, that frequently has memes visible across the whole company loudly criticizing and even mocking executive decisions. It was definitely surprising to me coming from Amazon.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Neon Noodle posted:

It's good for Google because they can keep an eye on employee dissatisfaction and intervene if it looks like any real pushback or organization is in the works. It is NOT good for employees because they should be discussing grievances in a secure setting without management oversight.

I mean, I am sure a lot of the complaints are stuff about the icecream in the lunchroom tasting off or the bathroom on level 3 not being cleaned well that they absolutely want management to see and not chants of capitalist overthrow that needs to be spoken of in night time signals of patterns of lit and unlit candles.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, I am sure a lot of the complaints are stuff about the icecream in the lunchroom tasting off or the bathroom on level 3 not being cleaned well that they absolutely want management to see and not chants of capitalist overthrow that needs to be spoken of in night time signals of patterns of lit and unlit candles.

Nah, there is a separate system for those complaints.

It is more like "How do I do x?", "Which x should I buy?", "Why was this product decision that I don't like made?"

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Trabisnikof posted:

How the gently caress can you “buy and sell electricity without intermediates?” How do I take delivery of my kwh exactly?

This is one possible future depending how widespread micro-generation becomes, if you have a battery in your house being charged by the panels on your roof what is to stop you selling the energy to your neighbour? Or a housing association pooling reasources in. Energy trading has never worked by buying and selling the individual electrons, this is just a smaller version of the same.

Source: I co-wrote a bad article based on some good research about this once.
Disclaimer: My name is not Matthew Beech.

Kobayashi posted:

Again, what value does blockchain add here?

I have no idea. I don't really understand this company or model which given how involved I was in the field for a bit is concerning. Prediction - nothing.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 22, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zalakwe posted:

This is one possible future depending how widespread micro-generation becomes, if you have a battery in your house being charged by the panels on your roof what is to stop you selling the energy to your neighbour?

The fact that neither I nor my neighbor have a proper safe way to physically do so?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zalakwe posted:

This is one possible future depending how widespread micro-generation becomes, if you have a battery in your house being charged by the panels on your roof what is to stop you selling the energy to your neighbour? Or a housing association pooling reasources in. Energy trading has never worked by buying and selling the individual electrons, this is just a smaller version of the same.

I already do this. I sell electricity back to my neighbors via the intermediatary of the grid.

The part of their pitch that stuck out as bullshit was the claim I could use their block chain service to trade electricity without any intermediatary like using the grid.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

fishmech posted:

The fact that neither I nor my neighbor have a proper safe way to physically do so?

Cables and batteries are hardly breaking news in terms of tech but I'll admit there are very few places with stuff like this installed right now. Still if you were very determined the the main barrier wouldn't be safety but licensing (in the UK at least).

What you definitely do not need is a block chain company to try and do it for you.

Trabisnikof posted:

I already do this. I sell electricity back to my neighbors via the intermediatary of the grid.

The part of their pitch that stuck out as bullshit was the claim I could use their block chain service to trade electricity without any intermediatary like using the grid.

Well indirectly, if you live in the UK you are also helping pay for that privilege as part of your bill, although not as much as people who don't have a solar panels.

As you correctly identify you would definitely need some sort of wire, whether it is the grid or otherwise. You don't need a blockchain company for any reason I can discern. Maybe they are proposing it to handle system balancing which would become complex in a local network but that doesn't seem to be what they are saying and there is tech that can do that already anyway.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 22, 2018

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Trabisnikof posted:

You use your spare electricity to mine coins and then sell em. No grid required bing bing bong so simple

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Talked to a Blockchain company this AM in the finance space that is self-funded and is NOT doing a ICO. They are simply using it for tracking the supply chain and transactions.

That was a surprise.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

Talked to a Blockchain company this AM in the finance space that is self-funded and is NOT doing a ICO. They are simply using it for tracking the supply chain and transactions.

That was a surprise.

That sounds like a keeper

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

VideoGameVet posted:

That was a surprise.

But, why?

Why not just use a database?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

NightGyr posted:

But, why?

I mean if it's equally good (if) why not if it'll get you more funding

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

NightGyr posted:

But, why?

Yeah just once I’d like to see a white paper for one of these concepts that isn’t:

Phase 1. Get rich quick!
Phase 2. Network effects!
Phase 3. New paradigm!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

NightGyr posted:

But, why?

Immutability mainly. Transactions, secondarily.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tracking poo poo through a complicated supply chain across multiple companies might be about the only thing that might be better fit for.

Nobody seems to be able to make thier databases communicate and populate accurately without a poo poo load of errors across multiple companies using different proprietary software suites in logistics. I get a lot of no we cannot fix that it was entered in X location with Y program, only they can fix it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

BrandorKP posted:

Tracking poo poo through a complicated supply chain across multiple companies might be about the only thing that might be better fit for.

Nobody seems to be able to make thier databases communicate and populate accurately without a poo poo load of errors across multiple companies using different proprietary software suites in logistics. I get a lot of no we cannot fix that it was entered in X location with Y program, only they can fix it.

And the blockchain will solve the problem of 40 different, incompatible, not made to talk to one another, interfaceless systems in the chain how? CSV was the magic bullet, then XML, then web/micro services. And surprise, nothing solved anything. If they aren't able to accept a XML file, they sure as hell can't integrate a bunch of hash codes in a moving DB file.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

VideoGameVet posted:

Merkle Trees, motherfucker, do you know of them?

(Not being hostile, I just love that sentence structure)

A merkle tree uses a hash of the previous information to generate the new information, which is all kept in a regular database. Changing any of the old data changes the hashes of everything after that so you know exactly where the change took place.

Sounds a little like a blockchain, eh?

The concept of hash trees is named after Ralph Merkle who patented it in 1979.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Decius posted:

And the blockchain will solve the problem of 40 different, incompatible, not made to talk to one another, interfaceless systems in the chain how? CSV was the magic bullet, then XML, then web/micro services. And surprise, nothing solved anything. If they aren't able to accept a XML file, they sure as hell can't integrate a bunch of hash codes in a moving DB file.

Fair enough. You tech guys need to crack this logistics / shipping nut. It's so bad that even poo poo that is criminal to not be present fails to transfer or drops out between databases and doesn't make it onto documents.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VideoGameVet posted:

Block chains aren’t immutable, like at all.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Snap stock plummets after Kylie Jenner declares Snapchat dead

https://twitter.com/KylieJenner/status/966429897118728192

:lol:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

VideoGameVet posted:

That was a surprise.

In production? That will be literally the first such to reach actual production use I've heard of (and I've been watching closely). If you feel free to PM me their name, I'd be most grateful.

Decius posted:

yeah - your problem is pretty much always your data quality and formats. Blockchain is sold as if it will magically fix this, and of course it'll be as much work as any other data reconciliation project. It's possible you can get funding more easily if you say "blockchain".

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Merkle Trees, motherfucker, do you know of them?

(Not being hostile, I just love that sentence structure)

A merkle tree uses a hash of the previous information to generate the new information, which is all kept in a regular database. Changing any of the old data changes the hashes of everything after that so you know exactly where the change took place.

Sounds a little like a blockchain, eh?

The concept of hash trees is named after Ralph Merkle who patented it in 1979.

Yes, I know of this. I have even seen discussions centered around "how do we speed up this slow crap" that focused on applying this tech.

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

Zalakwe posted:

Well indirectly, if you live in the UK you are also helping pay for that privilege as part of your bill, although not as much as people who don't have a solar panels.

As you correctly identify you would definitely need some sort of wire, whether it is the grid or otherwise. You don't need a blockchain company for any reason I can discern. Maybe they are proposing it to handle system balancing which would become complex in a local network but that doesn't seem to be what they are saying and there is tech that can do that already anyway.

As far as I can tell, they're trying to cut the Suppliers out of the loop, while still using the wires from the local Distribution Network Operator, the argument being that you can find a price between the first customer's supplier's export tariff and the second custome's supplier's import tariff, which will magically be agreed and settled and so on through the blockchain. It might work in theory, but given you're going to have to drop down to half hourly metering and settlement to get it to work, it seems like a massive headache with huge amounts of data (at 17680 half hours per year per customer, with a minimum of maybe 100 bytes of data for each transaction means you're at 35 GB for a small network of 20,000 customers netting with each other) for little gain.

There's no reason to use blockchain for system balancing - if you're providing those services, you'll want to be paid by National Grid for it, at which point you've got the trusted third party who can host the database.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

VideoGameVet posted:

Yes, I know of this. I have even seen discussions centered around "how do we speed up this slow crap" that focused on applying this tech.

A blockchain is not going to go faster than a merkle tree. If it does it's not a blockchain.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

A blockchain is not going to go faster than a merkle tree. If it does it's not a blockchain.

But in comparison to the laffchain, Merkle trees will seem like loving magic, and can lead to yet another tech bubble.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

suck my woke dick posted:

But in comparison to the laffchain, Merkle trees will seem like loving magic, and can lead to yet another tech bubble.

Not unless they somehow create an unregulated, international speculative market. The crypto bubble isn't a bubble because of the technology.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Exactly. The idea was to use Merkle Tree and DB's as a better solution.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

I didn't realize the Jenners were short sellers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they really did gently caress up the update i have no idea what they were thinking.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I am sure this isn't any sort of perfect solution that fixes anything forever but twitter actually made an move to slow down bots:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-twitter-bots/twitter-bars-tactics-used-by-bots-to-spread-false-stories-idUSKCN1G52R1

Like, there are a thousand ways to get around this trivially. But until now twitter just wasn't even trying to stop open bot activity. So it's something at least

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Did we have this?

https://twitter.com/andrea4animals/status/966832649963823104

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

I mentioned it above in my big list of journalismcoins

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

divabot posted:

I mentioned it above in my big list of journalismcoins

Oh. :smith:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Groovelord Neato posted:

they really did gently caress up the update i have no idea what they were thinking.

"must change things to keep up the appearance of having a real business model that will generate profit"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

suck my woke dick posted:

"must change things to keep up the appearance of having a real business model that will generate profit"

It worked for Facebook.

Sadly Snapchat is not Facebook.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the thing is new the snapchat update makes you less likely to "engage" with paid content. i don't know how they thought this was the way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Groovelord Neato posted:

the thing is new the snapchat update makes you less likely to "engage" with paid content.

That explains the Caitlin kardashian comment then.