Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Colin Moriarty is a terrible person but he isn't exactly wrong there.

Most people don't really care or know about any of this stuff. They just play video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah but it struck a blow against the somehow simultaneously omnipotent and impotent liberal cabal, or something? We will all remember it forever.

Honestly I don't even remember the controversy other than the developer being in some way lovely or racist or something.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

what the flying gently caress does this even mean, i thought kingdom come deliverance was a jank rear end peasant misery simulator

its a 'black people dont exist' simulator and these guys are happy that those can sell well.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I watched some streams of Kingdom Come and it looks okay if you're into that sort of realism, but I think its a terrible "peasant simulator".

You start off as a normal dude but your dad is actually an important guy who used to work for nobility. So when he dies you get taken in by a lord that owed him. You enter his service and within a few hours are elevated to knight status. Soon almost every NPC is like "milord you grace me with your presence" when you approach them, even when your doing so to tell them you are finished digging through poo poo to retrieve a corpse ring for them. Your character is very much an important special boy like in almost every other RPG. Just instead of being chosen by the gods its because your dad was chummy with the right people.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the DS4 had the best current gen d pad but, yeah, Celeste just killed thumb. I think the best way to prevent that it to play with the stick but gently caress that I'd rather have thumb pain

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I also seriously doubt that the original Japanese is much better than the translation. You can't salvage those story beats with slightly better dialogue.
a badly written game can have a bad translation. the original game's plot is awful but also its poorly translated and ruins a lot of the character's personalities. and the translation is insanely homophobic so thats a bonus.

Andrast posted:

Most people don't really care or know about any of this stuff. They just play video games.
yeah but do any of those LIBERAL MEDIA TYPES actually think they have a lot of power and control?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

its because your dad was chummy with the right people.

the most realistic privileged white person simulator ever

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think the DS4 had the best current gen d pad but, yeah, Celeste just killed thumb. I think the best way to prevent that it to play with the stick but gently caress that I'd rather have thumb pain

celeste sure doesn't need 8bitdo to compound the pain i can say that much :v:

still, celeste is good fun, think i'm about halfway through the main climb

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the funniest part of kingdom come was within five hours of it being released people were pointing out all the things it got wrong about medieval armor and weaponry

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

yeah but do any of those LIBERAL MEDIA TYPES actually think they have a lot of power and control?

fair point

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I watched some streams of Kingdom Come and it looks okay if you're into that sort of realism, but I think its a terrible "peasant simulator".

You start off as a normal dude but your dad is actually an important guy who used to work for nobility. So when he dies you get taken in by a lord that owed him. You enter his service and within a few hours are elevated to knight status. Soon almost every NPC is like "milord you grace me with your presence" when you approach them, even when your doing so to tell them you are finished digging through poo poo to retrieve a corpse ring for them. Your character is very much an important special boy like in almost every other RPG. Just instead of being chosen by the gods its because your dad was chummy with the right people.

Fair, but I think it'd be hard to make an enjoyable straightforward RPG that didn't have that to some extent.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

glam rock hamhock posted:

The thing I found most wasn't my thumb, but things would get so tense I'd be pressing really hard on the shoulders buttons. To the point where they'd start to hurt and I'd have to let go for a few minutes and there'd be the indent of where I was pressing in my finger.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Motto posted:

Fair, but I think it'd be hard to make an enjoyable straightforward RPG that didn't have that to some extent.

Then don't claim it's THE MOST REALISTIC AND ACCURATE

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

chumbler posted:

Honestly I don't even remember the controversy other than the developer being in some way lovely or racist or something.

That is sort of the basics of why it's not really being called out. The controversy around the devs happened three years ago and was mostly lost in the shuffle of all the poo poo hitting the fan back then. Since then nothing has really caught in people's minds, like the only controversy that really stuck was the one about not putting black people in the game and that's only among the most woke of folks.

Also the dev is kinda squirly about how much of a nazi he is, like "I'm not a racist but I just think races shouldn't be together" kind of stuff but more dogwhistley. Like he'll fund a game developer in India but never want to work with a non-white person kind of thing.

So yea I don't think this really means that gamers in general are cool with nazis, or at least not more than they were before. It's just a weird situation involving a lot of factors, and that he's not as stupid as other nazis who have gotten in trouble.

Don't buy the game tho lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can tell its made by an mra because

https://twitter.com/fdotny/status/966241734203265024

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I got a 8Bitdo SN30 Pro a week ago and I'm shocked by how much I like it. Like it's as good for Puyo Puyo Tetris and platformers as I thought it would be but I also played Bayonetta on it and it ruled.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

conquest kicks rear end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im never going to buy an FE game again without waiting to see how it is, but Conquest...what a game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

an actual dog posted:

I got a 8Bitdo SN30 Pro a week ago and I'm shocked by how much I like it. Like it's as good for Puyo Puyo Tetris and platformers as I thought it would be but I also played Bayonetta on it and it ruled.

that dpad is a loving destroyer of thumbs and registers inaccurate diagonals

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

Colin Moriarty is a terrible person but he isn't exactly wrong there.

Colin has a severe persecution complex where any attack against him is seen as an army trying to silence him. Kingdom's controversy began and ended with people like medievalpoc telling them their accurate version of history was not actually accurate. There has been no effort by anybody to shut them down. The game has barely been discussed in the 3 or so years leading up to its release.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if I, as a wealthy white male, can't pretend a mere absence of favor is systemic bigotry, then freedom is well and truly dead

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 23, 2018

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

that dpad is a loving destroyer of thumbs and registers inaccurate diagonals

Yea I kinda noticed that, I couldn't use it for Celeste. Not a problem for most games I wanted to use it for tho.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Since Kingdom Come isn't a AAA game it'll probably bottom out price wise relatively rapidly and then I can get my ~historically accurate~ skyrim without giving very much money to a nazi

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Since Kingdom Come isn't a AAA game it'll probably bottom out price wise relatively rapidly and then I can get my ~historically accurate~ skyrim without giving very much money to a nazi

It sold a million copies lol

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I want to buy Fire Emblem Conquest because it has good looking anime women, but I don't like Fire Emblem so I won't buy it

an eternal struggle.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Expect My Mom posted:

I want to buy Fire Emblem Conquest because it has good looking anime women, but I don't like Fire Emblem so I won't buy it

an eternal struggle.

Just buy the very, very expensive statues of the good looking anime women.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

an eternal struggle.

Look sometimes femdom and findom are a package deal.

Alternately you could go with FE Warriors, or Xenoblade 2.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 23, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Awakening is better for that anyway

al-azad
May 28, 2009

an actual dog posted:

It sold a million copies lol

Just on PC, it's probably doing just as well if not better on PS4 and Xbone.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The best girl, Tharja, is actually in a good game called Tokyo Megami Sessions Hashtag Ferrous and you can just play that instead.

You have to find one of the 17 Wii U's ever sold though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

chumbler posted:

Look sometimes femdom and findom are a package deal.

Alternately you could go with FE Warriors, or Xenoblade 2.
this first part is just good advice in general honestly

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

The best girl, Tharja, is actually in a good game called Tokyo Megami Sessions Hashtag Ferrous and you can just play that instead.

It's hosed up if you google #fe you get that indie game that just came out instead

I could see them putting Tokyo Mirage Sessions on Switch though

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I loved my WiiU but both my 3DS top screen and my WiiU gamepad screen have broken and the difference between which one I'm bummed about and rather get fixed is insaaaaaane. I need to get around to calling Nintendo's customer service since I've always heard they're super rad, but I feel fixing a five year console and getting a replacement might not be too dissimilar in price.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

What is she there, is she one of the main characters or what

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

She's one of the character's Persona. All FE characters in #FE are that except Tiki.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wii U is my favorite emulation station. It's a RetroPie that also plays the four interesting Wii U games.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FirstAidKite posted:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Maybe if they have a switch release of #FE, they'll let you have more party members.

Like Barry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

I bought it, it does not have online. cya on the leaderboards :hai:

I tried out the 2P mode and it's wild

• Locked thread