Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

That was... actually not nearly as crazy and strident as I was expecting (old SNPP hand here). There's some interesting stuff here for anyone who wants a relatively well-argued opinion on the decline of the Simpsons. I don't actually agree with a some of it (I see "The Principal and the Pauper" as more of chaotic burn down the world moment rather than "The writers were out of ideas, and the fans were attached to what they already knew") but unlike a lot of material like this I can't imagine the author wiping flecks of foam out of his beard while he writes it.

The old Simpsons comments were nuts. They rated Homer goes to College as terrible. I barely existed back in those days so thanks for archiving the old episode capsules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Doggles posted:

Later known as Super Princess Peach, followed by Toadstool the Princess, and then ultimately Peach Loves a Cake.

Super Princess Peach is a real game.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Choco1980 posted:

Super Princess Peach is a real game.

Super Princess Peach was a video game based on the idea of women's periods makes them super over-emotional and then developing that into Peach getting super-powers from it. Thinking it was a collective fever dream is incredibly understandable.

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Feb 23, 2018

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Super Princess Peach was a video game based on the idea of women's periods makes them super over-emotional and then developing that into Peach getting super-powers from it. Thinking it was a collective fever dream is incredibly understandable.

Also, the plot is literally that Bowser steals Peach's "Vibe Scepter".

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It was a pretty fun game though

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
It was cool but was sort of overly simplistic. Peach deserved a better game, honestly. No reason you can't have a game with a gimmick like that while also having some decent and challenging platforming.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Peach's game was Mario 2 where she was the objectively best character.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

GrandpaPants posted:

Also Mario Kart and Tennis.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Also Mario Kart and Tennis.

Sorry but both of these games have Daisy and Waluigi, so no way is Peach the best character in them.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

GrandpaPants posted:

Speaking of Mario 2, did you know in Japan its called Doki Doki Panic? And that there was an increasingly unrelated spin-off of Columbo where his wife solved mysteries?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

SpacePig posted:

Sorry but both of these games have Daisy and Waluigi, so no way is Peach the best character in them.

No Daisy in Mario Kart 64, objectively the Best Mario Kart. I will fite you over this.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Japanese version of Donkey Kong Country was called Donkey Donkey Panic.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

What really gets my goat about Super Princess Peach is that I’ve never thought of Princess Peach as emotional. In fact, she’s always struck me as a very stoic figure. Sure she’ll call out to Mario when she’s in danger, but when she’s locked up in the bowels of some castle in the middle of Bowser territory, she’s always cool calm and collected. I can’t think of a time where she ever had any kind of emotional outburst, except for this one game where it’s suddenly her whole thing for some reason.

The only reason for her emotions to be her gimmick in Super Princess Peach is because she’s a woman, and women are emotional, right?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sir Lemming posted:

IDK if it makes sense to use spoilers but why not.
People didn't see it coming because they already had Ted & Robin get together and break up several times and ended up at a point where Ted finally accepted that it wasn't working, and he moved on and found The Mother, who also happened to be perfectly cast and won the audience over. But they still insisted on killing her and going back to that well again.

They insisted on killing her because the story doesn't really make any sense if they don't. They'd been building up to it for years.

Ted frequently tells himself (and his kids) that he and Robin don't work, but that lady doth protest too much. It's the only way the show was ever going to end.

It would have been better if it were 3 or 4 seasons shorter but that's the reality of successful television shows.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

GrandpaPants posted:

I guess if you like picking up items so slowly that you have barely enough time to get, like, two coins when you enter a warp world, sure.

Toad is #1, all others are #2 or lower.

Picks things up the fastest, runs the fastest,and his run/jump speed isn't affected by carrying something.

The only exception is that one level that's full of falling logs, then use Peach or Luigi.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sassassin posted:

They insisted on killing her because the story doesn't really make any sense if they don't. They'd been building up to it for years.

Ted frequently tells himself (and his kids) that he and Robin don't work, but that lady doth protest too much. It's the only way the show was ever going to end.

It would have been better if it were 3 or 4 seasons shorter but that's the reality of successful television shows.

Yeah, seasons 5-8 were pretty unnecessary. Some of 5 was good but it got pretty dire after that.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

The Missing Link posted:

It's like anytime someone mentions Super Mario Bros 2 someone inevitably says "In japan, it's known as Doki Doki panic." You just have to accept that it's going to happen.

Whenever Poison from Final Fight is mentioned people feel the need to discuss her gender status on different continents

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

I guess if you like picking up items so slowly that you have barely enough time to get, like, two coins when you enter a warp world, sure.

Toad is #1, all others are #2 or lower.

Picks things up the fastest, runs the fastest,and his run/jump speed isn't affected by carrying something.

The only exception is that one level that's full of falling logs, then use Peach or Luigi.

I distinctly remember my 10 year old self telling me "Be Luigi in 5-3" I think there is a warp zone or something that you can only reach with his crazy high jump.

Mario was def the worst character. I use Peach and Toad the most for sure.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Flinger posted:

Whenever Poison from Final Fight is mentioned people feel the need to discuss her gender status on different continents

Post the comic.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, seasons 5-8 were pretty unnecessary. Some of 5 was good but it got pretty dire after that.

Those latter seasons gave us more Robin Sparkles so you’re pretty wrong

But yeah some stuff overstayed its welcome and I still can’t wrap my head around Marshall and Lilly owning more than one home (Ted gave them his apartment, Dowisetrepla, and the house they inherited)

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

sassassin posted:

They in fact had already killed her years earlier. There's no other way to read the ending of 'The Time Travellers'.

And the only real reason they didn't work as a couple was his wanting kids and her not. Which clearly doesn't matter in the future timeframe.

What's really awful is the alternate ending on the last season DVD, which winds up showing all of the characters who do want kids rewarded with happy endings and Robin punished into becoming a sad, lonely cat-lady-but-with-dogs for not wanting kids/being infertile.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Thranguy posted:

They in fact had already killed her years earlier. There's no other way to read the ending of 'The Time Travellers'.

And the only real reason they didn't work as a couple was his wanting kids and her not. Which clearly doesn't matter in the future timeframe.

What's really awful is the alternate ending on the last season DVD, which winds up showing all of the characters who do want kids rewarded with happy endings and Robin punished into becoming a sad, lonely cat-lady-but-with-dogs for not wanting kids/being infertile.

I thought the alternate ending implied her and Barney got back together again
At any rate Barney and Robin make a better couple because Ted’s a boring sadsack homebody while Barney’s more able to keep up with Robin’s implied absolute sociopathy and viceversa

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
is it possible for a reboot to be so bad it makes its old version age better? One bold team dares to say 'absolutely yes let's do it'.

You guys ever see Heathers, that old movie slash musical about a disfunctional pair of outcasts and high school's crazy rigid social circles ruled over by a trio of WASPy rich girls who destroy anyone not like them?

What if we did that, but reverse? Wait why is everyone booing are you triggered???

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-new-heathers-is-a-trumpian-lgbt-bashing-nightmare

quote:

The television reboot of Heathers opens with a guidance counselor asking the blonde-haired, blue-eyed Veronica whether or not she is “a hermaphrodite”—the implication being that even though she has a 4.2 GPA and a high SAT score, Veronica needs some sort of marginalized identity to get accepted anywhere other than her safety school.

In short, the new Heathers opens with an unnecessary slur against intersex people—and it only goes downhill from there.

If you believe that kids these days are fragile “snowflakes,” that political correctness is running amok, and that LGBT people are now society’s true bullies, this new Heathers is the show for you. The premiere of the rebooted cult classic, now airing for free online, takes place in a universe—clearly a fictional one—where the football team is oppressed and yesteryear’s fat, queer, and black victims now rule the school with manicured fists. The show feels like it was written for aging Fox News viewers who get angry about people’s gender pronouns—which is odd because it’s clearly being marketed to a young and therefore progressive-leaning audience who may not remember the 1988 original.

The original Heathers were a group of croquet-playing WASPy socialites; the new Heathers are comprised of a plus-size girl, a genderqueer student, and a black girl. In other words, this is less a reboot and more an intentional inversion of the original concept, built on the premise that the bullied have since become the bullies.

Younger viewers—and anyone else who inhabits a real, fact-based world—will know that LGBT and gender non-conforming kids still face disproportionate rates of bullying in school and have a greater likelihood of self-harm. It simply is not true that the tables have turned and the marginalized kids are now in charge. Are there some mean genderqueer people and hurtful art geeks out there? Absolutely. But the Heathers of 2018 acts as if it is now universally the case that these groups can access social capital.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

I thought the alternate ending implied her and Barney got back together again
At any rate Barney and Robin make a better couple because Ted’s a boring sadsack homebody while Barney’s more able to keep up with Robin’s implied absolute sociopathy and viceversa

The wedding season shows at (extreme) length why Robin and Barney don't work as real, grown-up partners. As did the earlier season that put them together.

Their relationship constantly hangs by a thread of last-minute heartfelt speeches. The "absolute sociopathy" makes each other miserable as anything other than casual friends.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The problem is at that point in the show, everyone was a sociopath.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

is it possible for a reboot to be so bad it makes its old version age better? One bold team dares to say 'absolutely yes let's do it'.

You guys ever see Heathers, that old movie slash musical about a disfunctional pair of outcasts and high school's crazy rigid social circles ruled over by a trio of WASPy rich girls who destroy anyone not like them?

What if we did that, but reverse?

Did Reddit make this?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

sassassin posted:

The wedding season shows at (extreme) length why Robin and Barney don't work as real, grown-up partners. As did the earlier season that put them together.

Their relationship constantly hangs by a thread of last-minute heartfelt speeches. The "absolute sociopathy" makes each other miserable as anything other than casual friends.

But Barney’s better at the casual day to day aspects of a relationship while Ted’s all about the grand sweeping gestures that ultimately mean nothing though. I mean it was Barney that managed to help Robin land a job while sure Ted made it rain and stole the blue french horn but his future with Robin had fundamental and irreconcilable differences like children and again being a sadsack that stays at home

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax
If all they ever had planned for The Mother was to make her a brood mare for Ted that conveniently dies offscreen they shouldn't have cast one of the most charismatic actresses working today. Switch the casting, so the Robin Ted can't get out of his mind for decades lights up every room she's in and the wife he happily forgets is a human sulk, that might make sense.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

What if we did that, but reverse? Wait why is everyone booing are you triggered???

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-new-heathers-is-a-trumpian-lgbt-bashing-nightmare

I remember watching the trailer and cringing really hard. They also already made a Heathers tv show. It was called Scream Queens.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

But Barney’s better at the casual day to day aspects of a relationship while Ted’s all about the grand sweeping gestures that ultimately mean nothing though. I mean it was Barney that managed to help Robin land a job while sure Ted made it rain and stole the blue french horn but his future with Robin had fundamental and irreconcilable differences like children and again being a sadsack that stays at home

Ted does the big gesture to get the girl to go out with him, not to make up for whatever crazy bullshit he's been caught doing this week. Which is all the wedding season was with Barney.

We don't see what happens after Ted gets Robin back at the end. Maybe they split again soon after. But all the big reasons they did so before have been resolved/removed by then.

Galaxy Brain posted:

If all they ever had planned for The Mother was to make her a brood mare for Ted that conveniently dies offscreen they shouldn't have cast one of the most charismatic actresses working today. Switch the casting, so the Robin Ted can't get out of his mind for decades lights up every room she's in and the wife he happily forgets is a human sulk, that might make sense.

She's the love of his life, and he doesn't happily forget her. He's a lonely middle-aged man with nearly-grown kids, nothing wrong with moving on at that point. He's hardly Patton Oswalt.

I don't think the show would be improved by making people feel glad the mother is dead at the end.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

sassassin posted:

He's hardly Patton Oswalt.
:chloe:

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
The couple times I've watched How I Met Your Mother the relationship between Jason Siegel and Alyson Hannigan really grossed me out. Very committed to monogamy in an excessive way.

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax

sassassin posted:

Ted does the big gesture to get the girl to go out with him, not to make up for whatever crazy bullshit he's been caught doing this week. Which is all the wedding season was with Barney.

We don't see what happens after Ted gets Robin back at the end. Maybe they split again soon after. But all the big reasons they did so before have been resolved/removed by then.

She's the love of his life, and he doesn't happily forget her. He's a lonely middle-aged man with nearly-grown kids, nothing wrong with moving on at that point. He's hardly Patton Oswalt.

I don't think the show would be improved by making people feel glad the mother is dead at the end.

What the show's dialogue says and what the show itself says are two very different stories. And I have no idea why you would drag that incredibly ugly, hateful opinion about a real human being who suffered real pain into this nice chat about TV shows.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
See this is an example of why having a plan and sticking to it is not always the best thing for a TV show. By the end of the series the showrunners should have realized "the mother is dead and it's really about getting Ted with Robin" no longer worked, for whatever reason.

Similar example is a short lived show called Up All Night. The idea was Will Arnett and Christina Applegate as new parents (hence, up all night) but also she (or maybe both?) was involved in a TV show starring Maya Rudolph and that was funny and a source of laughs, and there was an assistant character named Missy who was quite funny. But for the second year they decided they'd drifted from the core premise, axed the show, axed Missy entirely (Rudolph still showed up now and again) and tried to be an entirely domestic sitcom. And it was boring. They should've stuck with what was working.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm glad HIMYM dead.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

USA Up All Night was better. Bad movies with either Gilbert Gottfried or Rhonda Shear making fun of them/having big boobs was awesome. I think it's where I first saw Return of the Killer Tomatoes. And that movie is a comedy classic. One of the few sequels to surpass the original!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
At its height I thought HIMYM might be a spiritual successor to Frasier. They burned through quite a bit of goodwill really.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

The couple times I've watched How I Met Your Mother the relationship between Jason Siegel and Alyson Hannigan really grossed me out. Very committed to monogamy in an excessive way.

Ive only really seen snippets of that show. In what way is this shown? Like "you better not look at any other man/woman etc."?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The main thing is Marshall has never been with anyone but Lily, and (mostly, I forget this bit) she hasn't been with anyone but him.

But the show has always had that traditionalist bent. Like it's modern in the sense that gay relationships are cool and premarital sex is no big deal but monogamy is the ultimate end goal, and even Barney eventually must succumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I'm pretty sure one of the creators even admitted he wished they didn't make Robin not the mother.