Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Has anybody tried getting cured and deactivating the defense platform before the Sunbeam arrives? I'm considering doing a (non-console) speedrun and seeing if I can pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

HexiDave posted:

code:
UWE.Utils.LogReport("We don't support multiple tags per face yet....steve should get rid of this possibility.", null);
God damnit, Steve.

You were working on a mod that enabled lot's of funky construction on the outside of the Cyclops. Did you ever finish that to a releasable state? What happened if you planted Creepvine or something tall in the external plantbeds?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Cyclops building was a thing in earlier versions of the game and if you stuck too many parts on it the entire sub would take off at light speed in a random direction.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cobbsprite posted:

Has anybody tried getting cured and deactivating the defense platform before the Sunbeam arrives? I'm considering doing a (non-console) speedrun and seeing if I can pull it off.
You don't need a speedrun, just don't check the radio after the third(?) sunbeam message. Only the message that gives you a beacon signal has a timer, all the radio messages get queued and don't trigger until you listen to them. I haven't finished the game yet, though, so I don't know what happens.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

You don't need a speedrun, just don't check the radio after the third(?) sunbeam message. Only the message that gives you a beacon signal has a timer, all the radio messages get queued and don't trigger until you listen to them. I haven't finished the game yet, though, so I don't know what happens.

The Sunbeam says there's too much debris to approach.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'd put money down on "the scene triggers anyway" tbh

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I didn't realize that that icon meant there was a new radio message so I got everything done short of the rocket before actually checking them. It causes issues.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Dunno-Lars posted:

You were working on a mod that enabled lot's of funky construction on the outside of the Cyclops. Did you ever finish that to a releasable state? What happened if you planted Creepvine or something tall in the external plantbeds?

It sort of worked, but didn't look great and a few of the components - especially the spotlight - caused the Cyclops to death-roll into orbit. The main point was to get solar panels back, but I adjusted the upgrade console to allow a nuclear reactor rod as a power regeneration source instead.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So do you need a free hand to pick up stuff in the prawn suit?

Also why the gently caress can you not access upgrades or storage while its docked?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 23, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes, though the drill will pick up what it drills happily.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Internet Kraken posted:

Also why the gently caress can you not access upgrades or storage while its docked?

Yeah it's especially dumb because you can't access it in the moonpool, but you can in the cyclops.

Also the prawnsuit should have had a 3rd arm that wasn't modifiable so you can always grab items with it. :colbert:

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 23, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pelvic thrust to engage the grapple donger

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Was just watching some random streamer playing hardcore. He got the bug where you fall through the cyclops and then take falling damage, and died.

Protip: don't play hardcore.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Davethulhu posted:

Was just watching some random streamer playing hardcore. He got the bug where you fall through the cyclops and then take falling damage, and died.

Counter Protip: Play hardcore, enjoy suffering.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Away all Goats posted:

Also the prawnsuit should have had a 3rd arm that wasn't modifiable so you can always grab items with it. :colbert:

The last model like that didn't fare too well.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Internet Kraken posted:

It used to be worse when the drill arm didn't auto-collect stuff it drilled. Pretty much had to have two prawns, one for drilling, one for mucking about.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

EponymousMrYar posted:

It used to be worse when the drill arm didn't auto-collect stuff it drilled. Pretty much had to have two prawns, one for drilling, one for mucking about.
Which, say it with me, was something the fanbase defended to their dying breath.

Of course your prawn can collect the materials you drill! You're just too lazy to leave your prawn, pick it up by hand, and shove it into the prawn inventory! That's just as good :pseudo:

Or worse, when they defended leaving your prawn, removing the drill, getting back IN your prawn, to slowly pick stuff up with your claw's buggy hitbox that can fail to collect ion crystals indoors. Then step out to reattach the propulsion/grapple/drill after. As clearly the intended and viable gameplay experience.

It's still dumb we can't access it from the moonpool. But sweet loving Christ is the current situation a miracle to get down on you knees and be thankful for by comparison to what the game was like for far too long.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 24, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

finally beat this game which felt like kind of a chore towards the end

if they add an achievement for hardcore honor will force me to play it again

i'll also likely buy the dlc

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

boar guy posted:

if they add an achievement for hardcore honor will force me to play it again

Watch the achievement fail to trigger like the other end-of-game ones do.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Watch the achievement fail to trigger like the other end-of-game ones do.

i'm sure we will get them retroactively. on a side note, my time capsule was a repulsion cannon, a model of the aurora, and a cup of coffee

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Davethulhu posted:

i have a copy of the save i make after every session that i loaded onto a thumb drive as a backup in case of a glitch like this happening. i like challenges a lot and don't care if i kill myself and have to restart (in fact already did once), but if the game bugs out and kills me, nah son i ain't down with that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hey Hex, is there a way to enable/disable your mods selectively? They're mostly fantastic, but the 5-minute-save one causes some serious lag every time it saves, and also ejects me from the Seamoth and immediately pulls me back into it every time.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

boar guy posted:

i'm sure we will get them retroactively. on a side note, my time capsule was a repulsion cannon, a model of the aurora, and a cup of coffee

That sounds like an excellent time capsule! The repulsion cannon is something that seems cool but I've never bothered crafting it.

I got a time capsule that just said "You've got the power!" and gave me ion batteries and power cells. Still pretty cool, and I'm looking forward to giving mine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Repulsion canon is something I never bothered to make but on my run but I got a free one out of a time capsule so I actually tried it. Its actually pretty nice; you can't kill stuff with it but you do boot them so far away they might as well be dead. The advantage it has over the stasis rifle is that its smaller and fires faster, with no chance of accidentally locking down your ship. So I actually have a reason to keep using it. I only pull out the stasis rifle if I want to permanently remove predators that are giving me problems.

Also its just funny to see a sandshark skid across the ground and off a cliff.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i just completed my move to the grand reef aka the raddest place in the game.

4 thermals means i am set on power.

i even have a friendly dog who greets me every time i get home :3:

i found out after the move however that while most resources are crazy easy to find in the grand reef, titanium basically doesn't exist down there. oh well, gonna just have to do a huge scrap metal run once i build the cyclops.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I loaded a cuddlefish egg, a mesmer and rabbitray egg with some ion batteries saying everyone needs some friends. I love the time capsule idea and I hope mine makes it in.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

financially racist posted:

i even have a friendly dog who greets me every time i get home :3:

i found out after the move however that while most resources are crazy easy to find in the grand reef, titanium basically doesn't exist down there. oh well, gonna just have to do a huge scrap metal run once i build the cyclops.

Lost River has large titanium deposits and isnt too far from you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there only one blood tree biome on the map?

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Hey Hex, is there a way to enable/disable your mods selectively? They're mostly fantastic, but the 5-minute-save one causes some serious lag every time it saves, and also ejects me from the Seamoth and immediately pulls me back into it every time.

Sure, go to the Subnautica/Subnautica_Data/Managed/Mods folder and delete the ImprovedSaves folder - then re-run the AssemblyPatcher (either from the Subnautica directory or the shortcut on the desktop). I'll eventually build a UI for this stuff, but I've been a bit busy.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

HexiDave posted:

Sure, go to the Subnautica/Subnautica_Data/Managed/Mods folder and delete the ImprovedSaves folder - then re-run the AssemblyPatcher (either from the Subnautica directory or the shortcut on the desktop). I'll eventually build a UI for this stuff, but I've been a bit busy.

Thank you sir!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there only one blood tree biome on the map?

Two. Blood trees and blood vines both grow in the main Blood Kelp zone in the north-northwest, and the smaller southwestern Blood Kelp Trench.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Right, so now i need to find 1 Cyclops hull fragment, and 1 PRAWN suit grappling arm fragment before I can go 'further'. Decided to go to the crash zone, saw a Reaper and killed it. I thought I was safe so I let my guard down... no more than a minute or two later, another Reaper casually strolled up behind me and tapped me on the shoulder.

Goddamn reapers are scary motherfuckers. At least Ghost Leviathans are beautiful with all their bioluminescence and don't grab onto you, ensuring that today shall be laundry day.

Also, I discovered the lost river and went as far as my Seamoth w/ Depth Module MkIII can go, and panic started to set in when I got lost and I took wayyy too long to find the way back. I need to set up some kind of beacon trail or install a base down there.

Really, REALLY wish this game had a co-op mode.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Falken posted:

Really, REALLY wish this game had a co-op mode.

keep an eye on the Nitrox mod. https://github.com/SubnauticaNitrox/Nitrox

Its just, well. There's some videos of it on youtube and seeing other players move is, well. The animation leaves something to be desired.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

keep an eye on the Nitrox mod. https://github.com/SubnauticaNitrox/Nitrox

Its just, well. There's some videos of it on youtube and seeing other players move is, well. The animation leaves something to be desired.

O my thank you for sharing this.
I think I might check it out sometime this week.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
So because I was curious and stupid, I wanted to see if I could find a specific time capsule in the queue on their page. So I scripted something to pull the Id, items, description, and subject and dump it into a small database

The database file is 8gb. It has 76 million capsules, and it's only up until 2/11/18.

It only stopped because it couldn't load any more on the page. Worst thing is I still couldn't find the capsule. :shepface:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Repulsion canon is something I never bothered to make but on my run but I got a free one out of a time capsule so I actually tried it. Its actually pretty nice; you can't kill stuff with it but you do boot them so far away they might as well be dead. The advantage it has over the stasis rifle is that its smaller and fires faster, with no chance of accidentally locking down your ship. So I actually have a reason to keep using it. I only pull out the stasis rifle if I want to permanently remove predators that are giving me problems.

Also its just funny to see a sandshark skid across the ground and off a cliff.

it's great for blowing larva off your 'clops at the endgame

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I'm actually sad I beat the game. I won't be able to discover all those neat locations for the first time again...

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I'm actually sad I beat the game. I won't be able to discover all those neat locations for the first time again...

tbh the end for me was kind of a slog. to be fair, i did put in 20 hours before launch and had about another 15 worth of hardcore deaths...but i was ready for it to be over.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does a Prawn with 4 storage modules have more or less carrying capacity than a seamoth with 4?

nullEntityRNG posted:

So because I was curious and stupid, I wanted to see if I could find a specific time capsule in the queue on their page. So I scripted something to pull the Id, items, description, and subject and dump it into a small database

The database file is 8gb. It has 76 million capsules, and it's only up until 2/11/18.

It only stopped because it couldn't load any more on the page. Worst thing is I still couldn't find the capsule. :shepface:

I'm kind of shocked that so many people have actually played this game to completion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm kind of shocked that so many people have actually played this game to completion.
With cheats you can build the Neptune immediately out of the lifepod. Also I'm pretty sure you can just reload a save from right before blasting off.

Either way it's really easy for people to spam the poo poo out of the time capsule system if they so desire.

It also wouldn't surprise me to find out that all the game client is doing at that moment is sending a HTTP(S) request to the server on a hidden endpoint, so there's a not unreasonable chance that people have figured out how to submit anything they want.