Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Samizdata posted:

I would argue against ravioli being sandwiches, because barring a couple of open face options (maybe), the idea of a sandwich is NOT slathered in sauce.

Or would this count as "contains lots of sauce" rather than "slathered in sauce"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Or would this count as "contains lots of sauce" rather than "slathered in sauce"?

I go with contains, as the sauce is within the bread, not poured all over it. Truthfully, the only sandwich I could think of as an exception would be something like a horseshoe...

EDIT: Image added. The horseshoe is traditionally a burger patty, but this buffalo chicken one in the picture was MUCH prettier.

Samizdata has a new favorite as of 07:05 on Feb 24, 2018

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
French dip?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Dixville posted:

French dip?

Torta ahogada. Tortas are unarguably sandwiches by the most conservative standards, so sauce must thus be irrelevant to sandwich-ness.

I have a two-pronged approach to sandwich alignment myself; to qualify as a sandwich, a food object must be one of:

-Placed in between or otherwise surrounded with another food-substance such that it is now intended to be eaten with the hands

-OR, lacking the above qualification, shaped in an archetypical image of a sandwich. (The LG on the sandwich alignment chart rather than the expanded sandwich definition.)

pop tarts, lettuce wraps, toasted ravioli--gently caress it, all sandwich. And so is a cake made up to look like a burger, even if the cake isn't handheld.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

nothin wrong with a man having a sip of some fine meat juice

My mother cooks meatloaf in the microwave in a Tupperware container with a Bundt insert, thusly:

It takes a little longer in the microwave than in a traditional oven, but on the plus side, it doesn't brown and the residual meat fluids have nowhere to go.

have a sip

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats some passive aggressive cooking there.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dixville posted:

French dip?

Mister Olympus posted:

Torta ahogada. Tortas are unarguably sandwiches by the most conservative standards, so sauce must thus be irrelevant to sandwich-ness.

I have a two-pronged approach to sandwich alignment myself; to qualify as a sandwich, a food object must be one of:

-Placed in between or otherwise surrounded with another food-substance such that it is now intended to be eaten with the hands

-OR, lacking the above qualification, shaped in an archetypical image of a sandwich. (The LG on the sandwich alignment chart rather than the expanded sandwich definition.)

pop tarts, lettuce wraps, toasted ravioli--gently caress it, all sandwich. And so is a cake made up to look like a burger, even if the cake isn't handheld.

Yeah, my whole point with the sauce covered bread was ease of eating (which is how I ended up at the door to this rabbit hole).

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Samizdata posted:

I go with contains, as the sauce is within the bread, not poured all over it. Truthfully, the only sandwich I could think of as an exception would be something like a horseshoe...

EDIT: Image added. The horseshoe is traditionally a burger patty, but this buffalo chicken one in the picture was MUCH prettier.

A grilled cheese sandwich dipped in tomato soup is basically the same thing as ravioli.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RoeCocoa posted:

My mother cooks meatloaf in the microwave in a Tupperware container with a Bundt insert, thusly:

It takes a little longer in the microwave than in a traditional oven, but on the plus side, it doesn't brown and the residual meat fluids have nowhere to go.

have a sip
gently caress I've been with this thread since old times and this is the first time I actually gagged.

And I'm making something with ground beef today too.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

RoeCocoa posted:

have a sip

I'm so sorry :smith:

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

RoeCocoa posted:

have a sip

ok but

why

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Otana posted:

ok but

why
Counterpoint: not ok, but still why.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

bike tory posted:

A grilled cheese sandwich dipped in tomato soup is basically the same thing as ravioli.

Before cooking, a raviolo's dough is raw. A grilled cheese sandwich is made with already-baked bread.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
That bundt meatcake looks like it would taste OK (although probably unremarkable) but good lord at least drain some of the excess grease first.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That bundt meatcake looks like it would taste OK (although probably unremarkable) but good lord at least drain some of the excess grease first.

But fat is the flavor vehicle. And from from the visible pool, you're about to get a tractor trailer of flavor right in your pie hole.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

RoeCocoa posted:

have a sip

What do you have against brown meat

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

tribbledirigible posted:

But fat is the flavor vehicle. And from from the visible pool, you're about to get a tractor trailer of flavor right in your bundt hole.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

tribbledirigible posted:

But fat is the flavor vehicle. And from from the visible pool, you're about to get a tractor trailer of flavor right in your pie hole.

I did say just some of it. Into a cup. You need something to drink after all and i think it would make the perfect pairing.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

RoeCocoa posted:

have a sip

the last pic does kinda look like the tub brains, if u think about it. the liquid, the residue up the side, the meat

tribbledirigible posted:

:hai:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
That microwave meatloaf is a goddamned crime against humanity.

Also, the movie The Ice Storm is like a museum of middle-class white 1970s, and includes a key party and some appalling cocktail party food, plus amazing performances by lots of famous actors. Everyone interested in that benighted period of US history should watch it. And then drink heavily.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

RoeCocoa posted:

have a sip

this is...truly regrettable. how did she come up with this cooking method?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

My coworker says her mother has always made meatloaf the same way.

E: I don't know where she got the idea either, but I'm sure it was in a cookbook or something.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Both my grandmother and father do the same thing, but in a ramequin

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

AlbieQuirky posted:

That microwave meatloaf is a goddamned crime against humanity.

Also, the movie The Ice Storm is like a museum of middle-class white 1970s, and includes a key party and some appalling cocktail party food, plus amazing performances by lots of famous actors. Everyone interested in that benighted period of US history should watch it. And then drink heavily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKTyV8Msk8o

It's pretty great. There's also that awkward fumbling sex scene with the Nixon mask in the groovy basement. Lots of good furniture in that movie.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Haifisch posted:

That's a pie.

Samizdata posted:

And that's a pie.

you guys have me thinking about ordernig a local pizzaria's Hot Beef sub just for the photo op.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

CommonShore posted:

That's a pie.

:thunk:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

Until today, I thought ramequin meant a small cup, like for a dipping sauce, rather than a ceramic dish of any size. I suppose the ramequins I'm familiar with were both very small and ceramic and I made exactly the wrong inference.

It was a funny couple minutes while I thought of your grandmother's quarter-cup meatloaves

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whoops double post, have "content":

CommonShore posted:

That's a pie.

It's clearly a tart as it has no lid

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

The Bloop posted:

It's clearly a tart as it has no lid

A pumpkin pie is not a tart.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A pumpkin "pie" is clearly a crusty squash pudding.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Mercury Hat posted:

My coworker says her mother has always made meatloaf the same way.

E: I don't know where she got the idea either, but I'm sure it was in a cookbook or something.
People trusted a lot in the wonders of microwave ovens back when they were mysterious and new. There was an idea that you could cook pretty much anything in a microwave that you could in a regular oven. (Note cooking time suggestions for things like roasts, lasagna, casseroles, and meatloaf) Which...isn't technically wrong in some cases, but still produces stuff that's gross because of the differences in the cooking method.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Haifisch posted:

People trusted a lot in the wonders of microwave ovens back when they were mysterious and new. There was an idea that you could cook pretty much anything in a microwave that you could in a regular oven. (Note cooking time suggestions for things like roasts, lasagna, casseroles, and meatloaf) Which...isn't technically wrong in some cases, but still produces stuff that's gross because of the differences in the cooking method.

Though you wouldn't have to worry about food poisoning! Or taste, or texture, or....

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Something morally worse than microwave scrambled eggs. Neat.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pomp posted:

The bundt cake pan is actually kind of ingenious, microwaves have trouble penetrating inches of meat so the bundt cake pan lets you cook your meat torus evenly without a giant cold spot in the middle.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The torus is an important element of microwave cooking, never doubt the torus.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The torus is an important element of microwave cooking, never doubt the torus.

torus is 2d shape with periodic boundary conditions
actually you want to cook on a nontrivial iterated function system shape. that is, a fractal

most trivial fractal operator is lamination. just like laminated pastry dough

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I only cook inside of a hypercube.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Please read my book of random food entombed in higher dimensional Jello molds, A Tesseract of Tastes

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I tried cooking in a time cube but all of my measurements were off because I was educated stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Of course it is. It's a misnomer. Just like a Boston creme pie, or a starfish, jellyfish, koala bear, etc.