Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Does anyone what years Mazda offered Smart City Brake Support on the CX-5 in the US? If I recall correctly it was only available on the Grand Touring trim. Are there any obvious visual indications that one has it? Having a hard time identifying them in used car ads.

I noticed some have a different screen in the right most gauge window in the cluster, but I’m thinking that was a mid year change to them all and not an indicator that a car has SCBS.

:ninja: Figured it out. If they have the Tech Pack on the GT trim, then they have the SCBS. Thanks anyway!

SynMoo fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

SynMoo posted:

Does anyone what years Mazda offered Smart City Brake Support on the CX-5 in the US? If I recall correctly it was only available on the Grand Touring trim. Are there any obvious visual indications that one has it? Having a hard time identifying them in used car ads.

I noticed some have a different screen in the right most gauge window in the cluster, but I’m thinking that was a mid year change to them all and not an indicator that a car has SCBS.

:ninja: Figured it out. If they have the Tech Pack on the GT trim, then they have the SCBS. Thanks anyway!

I have a '17 Touring with the preferred package and it has the brake support thing.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
2012 MS3 owner here. I thought I would have some fun this weekend and do CDFP internals and an intake. Pulled off the stock TIP to see this:

https://imgur.com/a/C8QMR

Looks nasty :( Car only has 56k miles, so I guess I wasn't expecting so much gunk.

How worried should I be?

Edit: looks like the source is oil entering the intake from the valve cover breather hose

hattersmad fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 25, 2018

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Are there any after-market headrests available for the 2018 Mazda 3? My wife and I are looking at one, but she's short and the angle of the headrest makes it impossible for her to sit comfortably in the seat. Taking it off or reversing it seems like a bad idea, but right now it's likely the only thing keeping us from purchasing the car.

Dealership was no help and Google searches just brought people complaining about Mazda headrests across generations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shrimpy posted:

Are there any after-market headrests available for the 2018 Mazda 3? My wife and I are looking at one, but she's short and the angle of the headrest makes it impossible for her to sit comfortably in the seat. Taking it off or reversing it seems like a bad idea, but right now it's likely the only thing keeping us from purchasing the car.

Dealership was no help and Google searches just brought people complaining about Mazda headrests across generations.

I swear to god there was a seat-hacking website back in the day for exactly this purpose but google is showing me nothing.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Shrimpy posted:

An auto upholstery shop could probably fix it for pretty cheap.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
It came from the front end: Clunking

Anyone with a 1st gen Speed3 have to service their front swaybar endlinks or bushings or something? I'm trying to come up with a list of things to check that would be causing a clunk in the front end when going over uneven surfaces.

I have about 79,000 miles on the car now if that makes it easier to guess at what the cause could be.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Endlink is going to be the easiest part that would cause a clunk in the front end, and at 80,000 they probably need to go anyway.

Short list of other things to check: strut top bearing (requires dropping the strut assembly to check), the top bearing's three bolts that hold it to the shock tower or the nut that connects the top of the strut shaft to the top bearing.

Could also be a worn ball joint, passenger and/or rear motor mount.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I just replaced a blown PMM with an oem one maybe 1000 miles ago. Not sure of the condition of the trans mount. I think that one requires removing the battery box and air box to inspect and I've been a little too lazy to do that.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MetaJew posted:

I just replaced a blown PMM with an oem one maybe 1000 miles ago. Not sure of the condition of the trans mount. I think that one requires removing the battery box and air box to inspect and I've been a little too lazy to do that.

The DS mount is the least likely to wear out, I'm referring to the one that connects the transmission to the subframe. If you haven't replaced it yet and you're at 80,000 on the factory rear mount there's a pretty good chance that's the problem. The factory RMM uses the same bushing insert as the normal 3 and non-ST Focus and they don't handle the increased torque well.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Geoj posted:

The DS mount is the least likely to wear out, I'm referring to the one that connects the transmission to the subframe. If you haven't replaced it yet and you're at 80,000 on the factory rear mount there's a pretty good chance that's the problem. The factory RMM uses the same bushing insert as the normal 3 and non-ST Focus and they don't handle the increased torque well.

Whoops. I misread your post. The PO installed some Corksport RMM insert. Last I looked at it, nothing looked too out of place or broken.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Shrimpy posted:

I’ve had the drivers side headrest reverses in my 2014 since day one. There’s only like an inch between my head and the reversed headrest in my normal driving position. YOLO.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You'll lose whiplash protection that way.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The headrests are literally the only thing I don’t like about my car. Flipping them was the only way I could sit comfortably.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

hattersmad posted:

2012 MS3 owner here. I thought I would have some fun this weekend and do CDFP internals and an intake. Pulled off the stock TIP to see this:

https://imgur.com/a/C8QMR

Looks nasty :( Car only has 56k miles, so I guess I wasn't expecting so much gunk.

How worried should I be?

Edit: looks like the source is oil entering the intake from the valve cover breather hose

My '13 MS3 liked to blow oil. Catch cans are mandatory. I had JBR cans on mine but I was considering switching to the Corksport system which puts the crankcase under vacuum at all times.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6

MourningGlory posted:

My '13 MS3 liked to blow oil. Catch cans are mandatory. I had JBR cans on mine but I was considering switching to the Corksport system which puts the crankcase under vacuum at all times.

Yeah, I'm going to toss an OCC on, wish I had done so sooner. Will that gunk decrease the life of the turbo or anything, or should I just toss on an OCC and drive/be happy?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It won't hurt anything, it's designed to be fed through the turbo and burned in the engine. It can gum up the valves on DI engines but that's about the only downside.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice
I would consider running two catch cans in series to keep oil out of the turbo's compressor but yeah, it's designed to deal with some oil vapor anyway. And if we're talking about gunked up intake valves, delete the EGR right the gently caress now.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

THE CURSE. BEWARE THE CURSE

Farewell to thee '08.5 Mazda 3 sport. Canadian Winter has finally taken it's final toll, putting your face into a guardrail and wrecking the BRAND NEW loving SUSPENSION.

Dicks.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

:stare:

I have no idea why my insurance company gave me so much money for a ten year old car with 185k km but I am not complaining.

Just bought a 2018 Mazda3 Sport GT with the premium package. The HUD is baller as gently caress.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Should I be plowing my 08.5 into a guard rail, is this what I'm hearing?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Oh! Before I forget, whoever else out there that has a 2010-2013 3 and the dash bubbled up and jacked up your info screen(s), they have done a "recall" and you can go get it fixed at your local dealer for free.

I was going to but now I'm working in West Texas and it was 114 yesterday sooo, might be a waste of time.

This is old as hell, but I was in this group with my 2011 3 2.5l. Mine wasn't too bad, the screens were fine, but it slowly warped to the point where i could fit multiple fingers in the gap between the screens and the dash.

I was real lazy but finally got around to making an appointment and sure enough, replaced the whole drat thing for free. Pretty dang happy about it considering the car was out of warranty. It definitely seems to be a different material and slightly different design from what I can tell.

That dash, and regular battery/tire replacement are the only things I've done to this car in 55k miles. Def a happy customer.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I think I diagnosed my front end clunk to be coming fr the stripper top mount ... Things. And at 80k miles it's probably not a bad idea to just replace the struts all around.

I recall people mentioning Koni Yellows or Koni FSDs. Is there a Cliff's Notes for which model to go with, with stock springs?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MetaJew posted:

the stripper top mount

:quagmire:

I went with FSDs. My only regret is that I didn't also order / replace every other component on the strut assembly (spring excluded) at the same time. In theory the FSDs might give up a little bit over yellows on a track but should be much nicer on the street.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I'm not editing it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Should I be plowing my 08.5 into a guard rail, is this what I'm hearing?

Please don't. I miss my old car even though this new one is superior in every way.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

:quagmire:

I went with FSDs. My only regret is that I didn't also order / replace every other component on the strut assembly (spring excluded) at the same time. In theory the FSDs might give up a little bit over yellows on a track but should be much nicer on the street.

What else would you have replaced? Looking at parts lists, it seems like you would want to do the front upper strut mounts, front upper strut bearings, front bumpstops, and FSDs all around. Is there any thing to replace for the rear struts? Rear bump stops?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah that looks like it, but it's been years so I don't know for sure. The bearings were all a bit crunchy and the rubber, especially the bump stops, was more brittle than not.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Uhhhh my driver's side rear window won't slide up. It rolls up maybe a 10th of the way and then just stops. I can hear a relay or the motor kind of click as I press either the driver or rear window switch for that door, but nothing seems to budge. I also tried lifting the window while actuating the switch and that didn't get me anywhere.

Any tips?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It may be a stripped gear on the motor or the regulator done poo poo the bed. You're taking apart a door!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

It may be a stripped gear on the motor or the regulator done poo poo the bed. You're taking apart a door!

At least it's in my garage, I guess. :(

Edit:

Fingers crossed it's just this gear that's broken. I just ordered a replacement from Amazon, but it says it won't be delivered until the 12th at earliest.
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f111/how-fix-replace-window-motor-gear-176795/

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 10, 2018

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

MetaJew posted:

Uhhhh my driver's side rear window won't slide up. It rolls up maybe a 10th of the way and then just stops. I can hear a relay or the motor kind of click as I press either the driver or rear window switch for that door, but nothing seems to budge. I also tried lifting the window while actuating the switch and that didn't get me anywhere.

Any tips?

Have you changed or disconnected your battery recently? You need to reset the little relay things on the windows if you have.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I don't think so, but all my other windows work.

How do I "reset" it?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

MetaJew posted:

I don't think so, but all my other windows work.

How do I "reset" it?

The reset is only for setting the auto-up/down to work.

It doesn’t sound like your problem, but it’s done by pressing the “up” button for a few seconds until you hear a click.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Bah! I found another forum post describing the exact same issue is mine, but the OP never replied if he fixed it or how he fixed it.

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/rear-passenger-power-window-problem-30564/

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Anyone put an aftermarket stereo into 2010-2013 3s? Which is the better pick between the Metra or Scosche? I don't like the photos I've seen of the Metra where they just inset it super far in (there's like an inch between the bottom of the stereo and the end of the opening) but it does have metal brackets.

Also, is underneath the third brake light the best area to wire in a backup camera on the hatchback?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

MetaJew posted:

Bah! I found another forum post describing the exact same issue is mine, but the OP never replied if he fixed it or how he fixed it.

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/rear-passenger-power-window-problem-30564/

It was a hosed gear. Should be getting in the replacement tomorrow.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Update: replacement gear fixed the problem and it was a super simple job to do.

The only issue I ran into was splitting my loving fingernail in half trying to undo the the plug that goes to the window switch.
:nms:

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
I'm looking at getting a new(or newer) car to replace my 97' honda civic whose tailpipe has been held up with a coat hangar for the last several months. I've been frugal on most things my whole life but now I'm finishing grad school and just got a job paying slightly less than six figures, and I'm sick of dealing with breakdowns and random poo poo. I still don't know that I have it in me to buy a *new* car, but I'm definitely considering it. Really want that mazda3 grand touring hatchback How do you all feel about the active driving display? Is it 2017 they go full-color? Is it obnoxious?

I found a 2016 grand touring with < 1000 miles that looks good, if suspicious (why so low?) that I'm going to test drive in a few days if its there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

It feels like an extremely well put together vehicle, the ADD is really nice for keeping your eyes on the road. Infotainment system is a little laggy.

The soul red colour is gorgeous.