Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I'm having a bit of trouble getting much value out of a feudal society game in 2.0. It was very exploitative before and for sure needed dealing with, but the new requirements make it always a bad choice I think. If my understanding is correct, you can't get a vassalisation/tributary CB unless you've asked for diplomatic vassalisation/pay tribute already. And you can't ask that unless you're already "superior" to your enemy. I'm probably a bad player but that's not a situation I ever really find myself in until mid-late game, by which point the benefit of having vassals able to colonise is moot because there are no colonisable planets left.

Has anyone found a good way to make it work yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I think the intent is to keep your military parked in drydock if you aren't using them, and deploying them in war is going to hurt your economy.

Yeah I like that it's another mechanic that makes you go "ehhhh better just end the war, good enough".

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yes.

Open the fleet manager
1. New Fleet (if a new one ofc)
2. Hit Add ships to bring up the right side bar
3. add whatever designs you wnat
4. set how many of each ship you want in the fleet
5. Hit the reinforce fleet button to tell shipyards to build ships for this fleet (they'll use whatever minerals you have stockpiled but will not queue additional ships and wait for minerals, so you'll probably have to hit it a few times).

Pretty sure doing it this way avoids all the trouble people have been having. Or at least that's how I did it and the thing works great.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Wiz, with the new maintenance costs any thought of putting in some feature for mothballing ships?

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I think that's what the crew quarters are for, even if it's not a huge reduction.

I think I'm just gonna wait and restart my game when some patches come out to fix all the issues.

Yeah I think my preferred change to maintenence would just be to make it so you get a couple more buildings that cut maintenence, so you can make dedicated fleet bases. I like having to decide where I'm actually going to base my fleet because I need it to respond quickly to attacks.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah I like that it's another mechanic that makes you go "ehhhh better just end the war, good enough".

Pretty sure doing it this way avoids all the trouble people have been having. Or at least that's how I did it and the thing works great.

Nah it's a bug that infects a specific design every now and then even when you're using the fleet manager correctly.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
What are the odds that 3 nations will use the exact same color scheme?

And yes, I know I'm bad at the game. Don't need to rub it in my face.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Captain Mediocre posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble getting much value out of a feudal society game in 2.0. It was very exploitative before and for sure needed dealing with, but the new requirements make it always a bad choice I think. If my understanding is correct, you can't get a vassalisation/tributary CB unless you've asked for diplomatic vassalisation/pay tribute already. And you can't ask that unless you're already "superior" to your enemy. I'm probably a bad player but that's not a situation I ever really find myself in until mid-late game, by which point the benefit of having vassals able to colonise is moot because there are no colonisable planets left.

Rival them, declare a Humiliate war, hope that keeps them Inferior until your truce is up?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Captain Mediocre posted:

You need declare a regular-ol' conquering/humiliation war to cut their fleets/production down, softening them up enough that they'll be inferior to you 10 years later and you can get the CB you actually want.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Here are a bunch of galaxy generation settings that I think should be in the game, but currently are not:

Space Monsters (slider) [0x - 5x]
- Adjust the frequency of Tiyanki, Space Amoebas, Crystalline Entities, Ancient Mining Drones, Void Clouds
- If turned down to zero, also disables the Crystal, Mining Drone, and Pirate "home systems"

Guardians (slider) [0 - 10]
- Adjust the number of Guardian systems that spawn on the map.
- "Guardians" includes the Ether Drake, Stellarite Devourer, Automated Dreadnought, Dimensional Horror, Spectral Wraith, Infinity Machine, Enigmatic Fortress, Hive Asteroid, Guardians of Zanaam, Sanctuary Ringworld

Enclaves (toggle) [off / on]
- Enable or disable the spawning of Trader, Curator, and Artisan Enclaves.

Rare Resources (slider) [0x - 5x]
- Adjust the spawn frequency of rare resources on the galaxy map.

Homeworld Neighbor Systems (toggle) [off / on]
- Every standard empire is guaranteed to have two systems near their homeworld that have planets of their ideal habitability class. This toggle would turn that off.

Pre-sentients (slider) [0x - 5x]
- Adjust the frequency of the anomaly that causes pre-sentients to spawn on a planet.

Abandoned Megastructures (slider) [0x - 5x]
- Adjust the number of abandoned Megastructures that spawn on the map.

Hive Minds (toggle) [off / on]
- Enable or Disable randomly-generated hive mind empires from spawning. If a player owns Utopia, but doesn't want any Hive Mind empires to spawn in that particular game.

Machine Empires (toggle) [off / on]
- Enable or disable randomly-generated machine empires from spawning. Same as above, but for Synthetic Dawn.

Horde Crisis (toggle) [off / on]
- Enable or disable the "Great Khan" Horde crisis from happening.

War in Heaven (toggle) [off / on / multiple]
- Enable or disable the "War in Heaven" crisis from happening. "Multiple" allows both to happen, if all 4 of the non-machine Fallen Empires exist on the map.

End Game Crisis (toggle) [off / on / multiple]
- Enable or disable the Prethoryn Scourge, Unbidden, and Contingency end-game crisis from happening. "Multiple" allows all three to all happen in the same game.

And also some adjustments to some of the settings that already exist:

Tech/Tradition Cost
- Split these into two separate sliders so they can be adjusted individually.

Fallen Empires
- Fix this so that it actually spawns the number I tell it to. Several times I've set it all the way to 5 and it only spawns 3 or 4.

Primitive Civilizations
- Turning this down to zero should also prevent the Sanctuary Ringworld from spawning.

Anything that I missed?

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 25, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What alien species will you encounter in game, does it generate them, or pick from the pool of premade species?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Game could really use derelict habitats on top of the mega structures.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Synthbuttrange posted:

What alien species will you encounter in game, does it generate them, or pick from the pool of premade species?

It does both of those things, actually.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I think my preferred change to maintenence would just be to make it so you get a couple more buildings that cut maintenence, so you can make dedicated fleet bases. I like having to decide where I'm actually going to base my fleet because I need it to respond quickly to attacks.

I think it's odd that Anchorages have no effect on maintenance. At least for docked fleets.

Also, am I crazy, or was there something said to the effect that we would be getting a map option to more evenly distribute starts instead of only having "random" and "clustered"? It would appear my map generation packed the vast majority of the empires in one corner of the map.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

VirtualStranger posted:

Galaxy generation settings that should be in the game, but currently are not:

Anything that I missed?

Slider to determine how many options sliders there are (Toggle) [off/on]

(Agreed with all of them though, also possibly System Richness so you can have a near-barren galaxy or one packed with wealth)

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Does anyone else have the computer-restarts-when-you-push-the-galaxy-view-button bug?

The game was fine for hours, now it's literally unplayable.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone has having a problem with jump drives not working? The ships are still using hyperlanes.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Can someone explain how the gently caress my food usage seems to have skyrocketed?

Like, I was chugging along fine at max capacity for a while. Got involved in a war, planet got sieged for a while but I finally got my fleet back over there and cleared up the problem. But after that, it looks like unhappiness spiked which I didn't think affected food production, but I also don't know how the gently caress to climb out of a -35 food deficit when a few years ago I was at +5. Didn't colonize any new planets during the interim either. help?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

I think it's odd that Anchorages have no effect on maintenance. At least for docked fleets.

Also, am I crazy, or was there something said to the effect that we would be getting a map option to more evenly distribute starts instead of only having "random" and "clustered"? It would appear my map generation packed the vast majority of the empires in one corner of the map.

Yeah I think maybe if they took like 2% off per anchorage it might be quite good when stacked with crew quarters.

E:

So fleet specialization is pretty loving important now.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Anyone has having a problem with jump drives not working? The ships are still using hyperlanes.

Jumpdrives are a special movement option, not a normal one. There's a button up near where the "merge" function is.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

CaptCommy posted:

Can someone explain how the gently caress my food usage seems to have skyrocketed?

Like, I was chugging along fine at max capacity for a while. Got involved in a war, planet got sieged for a while but I finally got my fleet back over there and cleared up the problem. But after that, it looks like unhappiness spiked which I didn't think affected food production, but I also don't know how the gently caress to climb out of a -35 food deficit when a few years ago I was at +5. Didn't colonize any new planets during the interim either. help?

Have you tried purchasing food from other empires until the unhappiness problem ends and your own food production recovers?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I think maybe if they took like 2% off per anchorage it might be quite good when stacked with crew quarters.

E:

So fleet specialization is pretty loving important now.

A listening post was super useful to me in my last war. I was able to see the enemy fleet coming a mile away and it was using all mass drivers, so I refit my fleet to be all armor and crushed them.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

A listening post was super useful to me in my last war. I was able to see the enemy fleet coming a mile away and it was using all mass drivers, so I refit my fleet to be all armor and crushed them.

Yeah having a listening post at a base with a defense fleet hanging out to be retrofit based on what is coming is a real pro move. I expect to see it a lot in MP.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Reveilled posted:

Have you tried purchasing food from other empires until the unhappiness problem ends and your own food production recovers?

Man, I totally forgot you could get food from other empires. Thanks, totally saved the day. One month of not starving and everything flipped back to where it should be.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Jump drives need to be manually activated to work as jump drives, it's a button near the top part of the fleet window. Without doing so they just act as normal, souped-up hyperlane engines.

Note that using the jump drives applies a debuff to sublight speed and weapons damage for the duration of the jump drives' recharge, 120 days.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah I've been using the hell out of those in my current border skirmish, advance warning really lets you get a couple of platforms down or know whether it's safe to advance.

I'm also interested to see if anything can get through a fortified pulsar when the defences are using nothing but plasma cannons :v: That stations come naturally with a bunch of armour is certainly a consideration, it makes certain weapons particularly adept at fortress busting while autocannons, as useful as they are, are going to be terrible at it however good they are at killing ships.

It'd be nice if the auto outfitter for starbases didn't put equipment on that is useless in the current system.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 25, 2018

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm new to this game and was told to wait for this patch before playing it. It sounds like there are a lot of issues. Will I get too confused at stuff that might be broken, and should wait for another patch instead?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I started next to fanatic purifiers, oh no! Except they got boxed in and are tiny and weak. Time to deal with them.

The only CB I have against them is "End Threat (Containment)".

Uh, what is that and how does it work?

I know it's a free CB against people who have free CBs on everyone else... but what's the actual goal of such a war? Will I be taking all their planets and territory? What will change if the war ends in a status quo? I can't actually find this explained anywhere. I know how purification wars work, but not the other way around.

Also, where did the functionality of the old liberate wargoal go? I loved breaking off little democratic chunks of massive evil empires.

And "Impose Ideology" can only be taken against rivals? And rivals have to be neighbors? I'm in the middle of a federation. I don't border my enemies.

I love the new CB system, but it feels like it needs more CBs to play with.

Node posted:

I'm new to this game and was told to wait for this patch before playing it. It sounds like there are a lot of issues. Will I get too confused at stuff that might be broken, and should wait for another patch instead?
You'll be fine. The patch is fantastically functional. There's just some wonkiness in the fleet designer and a couple other systems and of course that wonkiness is all we're talking about.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Node posted:

I played it for two hours recently and didn't see any problems. You're probably good, go have fun.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Eiba posted:

I started next to fanatic purifiers, oh no! Except they got boxed in and are tiny and weak. Time to deal with them.

I know it's a free CB against people who have free CBs on everyone else... but what's the actual goal of such a war? Will I be taking all their planets and territory? What will change if the war ends in a status quo? I can't actually find this explained anywhere. I know how purification wars work, but not the other way around.

Its theoretically a fight to completely exterminate, and systems you seize become yours immediately instead of simply occupied, no claims required. True is opposite in the reverse. Odds are you'll be forced to peace out due to war exhaustion before completely destroying them however.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Eiba posted:

Far as I can tell it's a free-for-all. You're treated like you have claims on everything they own for purposes of what the status quo looks like when you decide to end the war.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Eiba posted:

So theoretically a Containment War is intended to wipe the other nation off the face of the galaxy and annex everything. This, obviously, doesn't happen on anything but the smallest nations.

However, with a Containment War CB you don't need to wait for a status quo peace to occupy and own what you take. Any system you conquer is now yours - conversely, any system they take will immediately begin the purging. Basically every containment war is intended to bring you one step closer to stamping out the threat of the Evil Space Nazis once and for all, even if you're unlikely to make it all happen in the first war.

Node posted:

The fuckery is mostly (with the exception of fleet manager wonkiness) in the deeper implications of the system later on, I think, on a fundamental level the game should be mostly fine.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Node posted:

Most of the problems people have is because they have been playing the original version and are used to that so it can be tough to mentally switch to 2.0. The one bad bug is a rare-ish problem with the fleet manager which doesn't actually break your fleets or anything like that but will set off your OCD bad.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

This patch has fixed the mid-game pacing problems as far as I’m concerned. For me, games now go through a few good phases:

EARLY GAME
* explore explore
* get your first 3 or so colonies
* land grab for high value systems
* (optionally) early game war
* build up booming economy

MID GAME
* gently caress around with whichever neighbour you don’t like
* fill in pirate systems
* figure out where to locate fleet bases for rapid response and defence bases (this is fun)
* figure out how to design your fleets
* deal with that one rogue faction that hates everything your empire stands for
* plan for the end game
* pick core ascendancy route
* get the last precursor artefact from archaeology (somehow I NEVER get this during the initial phase)

LATE GAME
* big projects (gene splicing, going robot, stellar engineering)
* leviathans
* optimising output
* crises

There’s always something to be doing, and it’s always something new. Really fun now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

VirtualStranger posted:

It does both of those things, actually.

Cool.

Oh yeah also is it like CK2 where the computer can generate opponents from DLC you dont own or is it just what you have?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Beefeater1980 posted:

This patch has fixed the mid-game pacing problems as far as I’m concerned. For me, games now go through a few good phases:

EARLY GAME
* explore explore

What kind of years would you put on those phases? Like, my current game is in the 2260s and I only just grabbed my third colony maybe a decade ago, but I'm also blobbed huge. I guess thats why I shouldn't be surprised when my Pop count is in the upper 30s while most empires have 5-6 worlds and pop in the 50s-60s.

I've got shittons of territory too somewhere around 50 systems, so I'm worried I've hurt my long term ability to pick up advanced research/unity. Seriously, I'm at a point where it takes over 10 years to get a unity tradition pick, I suspect thats bad but I don't have enough experience with the game to be certain. The game says I'm equivalent or slightly better than my neighbors, so maybe I'm just worrying needlessly.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

In my current game*, I had 3 planets for maybe 60 years before I started getting more planets. In the old patch, I would have 10-20 by now (2x hab)

* which is my 2nd of this patch because I restarted once G's planet modifier mod was updated, also I got wrecked due to bad habits.

Beefeater1980 posted:

EARLY GAME
* explore explore

MID GAME
* gently caress around with whichever neighbour you don’t like
* fill in pirate systems
* figure out where to locate fleet bases for rapid response and defence bases (this is fun)
* figure out how to design your fleets
* deal with that one rogue faction that hates everything your empire stands for
* plan for the end game
* pick core ascendancy route
* get the last precursor artefact from archaeology (somehow I NEVER get this during the initial phase)

LATE GAME
* big projects (gene splicing, going robot, stellar engineering)
* leviathans
* optimising output
* crises

There’s always something to be doing, and it’s always something new. Really fun now.

This post is exactly right

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So, an enemy captured my starbase, except I can now queue up defense platforms on it, except they're their designs, and I assume they'll end up under their control too :thunk:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
What's the best way to generate a CB to take planets from neighbors? Making claims looks like it's going to cost way too much influence...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ulmont posted:

What's the best way to generate a CB to take planets from neighbors? Making claims looks like it's going to cost way too much influence...

Gotta have to spend that influence. Wars are more about chokes and important grabs now, few hellwars.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Splicer posted:

I've always felt the actual death animations could be a bit more explodey.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=692492543

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
In my game, all the NPC empires are Slaving Despots. Is this a known bug?