Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
The fact that this is the first mis-step in either tournament is pretty remarkable by boxing standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Triticum Guzzler posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2018/02/20/nieky-holzken-replaces-jurgen-brahmer-callum-smiths-world-boxing/

Replaced by Nieky Holzken lol. I don't know how to contextualise this for boxing, but Holzken was an unimpressive champion in a weight class that had no money in it for decades. I follow kickboxing religiously and I had no idea he was going to be on the undercard.

There was a short period when I was really impressed by Holzken. He had a streak of performances up to and including his first win vs Daniels that made me fall in love with his style, which at the time seemed to me like pressure boxing + surprise knees.

And then it all went south.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I need some new gloves to hit the heavy bag with anyone have any reasonably priced recommendations? Thank you

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Perhaps someone will be able to help you with this (though not I because I have body of a prime Dan Rafael) but there is a boxing training thread in YLLS so you might want to ask there if you haven't already.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483721&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jose posted:

kell brook has given a good interview. covers a lot about his depression after losing to spence but its really interesting learning what its like when your eye socket fractures and you hear it go imo

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/19/kell-brook-rock-bottom-boxing-interview

meanwhile in today's Metro, Amir Khan is saying "i'll fight anyone, not kell brook though he needs it more than me".

Kell Brooks a good lad for a sheff u fan.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The SituAsian posted:

Perhaps someone will be able to help you with this (though not I because I have body of a prime Dan Rafael) but there is a boxing training thread in YLLS so you might want to ask there if you haven't already.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483721&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Thank you

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think the other thread tends to recommend Ringside IMF Tech gloves.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

meanwhile in today's Metro, Amir Khan is saying "i'll fight anyone, not kell brook though he needs it more than me".

Kell Brooks a good lad for a sheff u fan.

i'd love to see kell brook knock khan out

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

drat straight, I've never placed a bet in my life but I might just do it for that if that fight ever happened.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Come watch a Smith brother get koed with a vicious head kick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRs7fNAXZdY

VVVV: https://twitter.com/Rafeboogs/status/966430597164904448

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 24, 2018

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
dutch reality tv, fighting guys in his own gym, and impeccable haircuts have prepared nieky for this moment

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
fighting out of the matrix: reloaded... the riiiing announceeeer

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

completely forgot this fight was on. i don't think i've ever even seen callum smith fight tbh

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
holzken seemed to forget his mouthpiece before the start of the first round and fell over throwing his first combo. bodes well.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

holzken seemed to forget his mouthpiece before the start of the first round and fell over throwing his first combo. bodes well.

head movement leaves a little something to be desired also

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

groves is going to destroy smith

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

thehappyprince posted:

groves is going to destroy smith

yeah. congratulations to itv.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

It's Groves so he'll probably find a way to somehow mess it up

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Nietes looked great

E: i think Cuadras won by a hair, but I could see the scores varying wildly

big win for Arroyo

Duke Pukem fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 25, 2018

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Pretty good main event on HBO tonight. Worth tracking down a replay.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Wanted El Gallo to win but a fair decision for Sor Rungvisai. He puts on so much pressure for the weight but he's basically already cleaned out the division (except for Arroyo and Kal Yafai I guess) and Inoue is almost certainly to tall of an ask so I wonder if he can stay at 115 forever or if he'll move up.

EDIT: Rematch would be pretty alright too all things considering. If Estrada fought like the last 2 rounds earlier I think he'd stop Sor Rungvisai.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 25, 2018

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

gtkor posted:

Pretty good main event on HBO tonight. Worth tracking down a replay.

all 3 fights were pretty drat good

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

SSR has no right to be winning fights like he does, walking around with no consideration for punches thrown, never jabbing, landing shots that apparently hit your life points directly. It's ridiculous that you have him against boxing wizards like Gonzalez and Estrada and he's still somehow winning.

I thought the decision was fair, 117 is wide, but 116 would have been fine imo.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

SSR has no right to be winning fights like he does, walking around with no consideration for punches thrown, never jabbing, landing shots that apparently hit your life points directly. It's ridiculous that you have him against boxing wizards like Gonzalez and Estrada and he's still somehow winning.

I thought the decision was fair, 117 is wide, but 116 would have been fine imo.
He reminds me of Antonio Magarito (NO NOT CHEATING) in that regard, I think his opponents are underrating his endurance despite being hittable. But if he loses an ounce of resillience, he's going to have a hard fall from grace.

Garlic Wraith
Dec 10, 2015

Dracula's nemesis
SSR did a great job against Estrada. I think Estrada may do better against SSR if there's ever a rematch - He had his number in the latter rounds.

I felt that the 117 scorecard was a bit wide too.. I had him winning 115-113.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G4pN3ZyGKs

"Don't run, fight like a man" - Abel Sanchez to Canelo

Meanwhile GGG just sitting there with a big smile on his face thinking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qmOehHRL5I

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 1, 2018

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I'm going to be nerding it up doing quiz bowl and cant watch anything but tons of boxing tomorrow. Kell brook is back against Sergey Rabchenko at 154. Kovlaev in effectively a squash against some Igor Mikhalkin dude but also a 50-50 between rising star Dmitry Bivol and super gatekeeper Sullivan Barerra on HBO in a 175 double header. And of course what could finally be the acid test for Deontay Wilder against Luis Ortiz on Showtine

HBO is definitely the number 2 to Showtime now but they can still do great programming like this profile of Bivol with Andre Ward

https://youtu.be/rFtXKEcQUJM

Edit: I mean it ends up mainly about Ward anyways- mainly because that who he is and also because of Bivol's still limited Enlgish-but still a pretty cool watch

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 3, 2018

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Something seems fishy with this fight. Too much at stake for Wilder, and Ortiz is signed to the same promoter, old, inactive, off the gear, and Cuban.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

anything decent on the undercard?

i’ve got wilder in like 4 or w/e

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

wow, corner stopped it

E: probably a good thing too, Dirrell was getting his rear end whipped

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

dirrell's had such a loving weird career

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Which fight will be better :ohdear:

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Wilder-Ortiz fight will probably be quick so you might be able to watch both

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

imagine if ortiz won and boxing's big plans for the next 2 years got scuppered.

edit: there's no way ortiz is this side of 50

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
ortiz seems to have wilder confused. wilder needs to adjust.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

ortiz looking pretty good.

These guys both have great power, so I expect a sudden KO

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

wilder only needs one but ortiz is carrying himself like he's already completely solved it. i've never really rated wilder as someone with a great capacity to adjust but happy to be proven wrong.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

got it 4-0 to Ortiz

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

the heavyweight division is back on its bullshit

this is what happens when david haye is away for too long smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem