Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Attestant posted:

Got started with NieR: Automata, and it's definitely dragging a little after the stellar opening moments. Everything from Tutorial to Amusement Park has been pretty great overall. But now the game has tossed the first proper open world sidequesting segment at me, and they've failed to make most of the stuff interesting. Just a bunch of "Gather 10 Boar butts" quests on a large map with limited fast travel options.

I just wanna get back to the story and cool bosses. :argh:

I would recommend reading all of the story text relating to side quests because there's a lot of cool and important little beats in 'em. Some of them are actually ridiculously close to being core to the experience. But also wait until you can just blitz the actual collection part.

Also in all cases the collection item will be a 100% drop, so you should just be able to rip through the play part and get back to the ministories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
The real thing dragging Nier Automata is that it runs like poo poo on pc and never got a single patch because SE just don't give a gently caress.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Again, gently caress Square Enix for meddling Mankind Divided. The ending is truncated, there's a multiplayer no one wanted, there is an in-game micro-transaction store and they failed to mention that the DLC contained micro-transactions, and none of the DLC missions are integrated into the Game proper. All of this to hurt what is a solid game.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Feb 23, 2018

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Terminally Bored posted:

The real thing dragging Nier Automata is that it runs like poo poo on pc and never got a single patch because SE just don't give a gently caress.

There is a mod that fixes it at least, but yeah out of the box the game runs like trash.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Again, gently caress Square Enix for meddling Mankind Divided. The ending is truncated, there's a multiplayer no one wanted, there is an in-game micro-transaction store and they failed to mention that the DLC contained micro-transactions, and none of the DLC missions are integrated into the Game proper. All of this to hurt what is a solid game.

I still haven't bought Mankind Divided and I bought Human Revolution twice.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Terminally Bored posted:

It worked fine for me. Bye!

Okay so I'm playing Dark Souls 3 again and the covenants suck. Invasions are kind of lame? They're better than no invasions, sure. But without fail they always end up the same. Hit a guy, he rolls off and runs away so he can heal. Repeat until he runs out of estus. Hit him some more. He runs away to hide behind enemies. Also the bosses and enemies in 3 are so god drat boring coming straight off of 2.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wish leveling Covenants meant doing an in-game quest to get a unique reward, while partaking in the PvP of a Covenant rewarded you with consumables like Embers and Titanite. Grinding to raise your status is simply the worst. I'm not mad enough to farm for 30 Proofs of Concords Kept, achievements be damned.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Aleph Null posted:

I still haven't bought Mankind Divided and I bought Human Revolution twice.

You're honestly not missing much. I wouldn't bother.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mr. Flunchy posted:

You're honestly not missing much. I wouldn't bother.

It's just weird how dull Mankind Divided felt in parts.

But anyone who likes Deus Ex games should absolutely buy Prey and the fact that there exists any person who regularly plays video games and bought and played the DX games and didn't buy Prey is a tragedy.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Okay so I'm playing Dark Souls 3 again and the covenants suck. Invasions are kind of lame? They're better than no invasions, sure. But without fail they always end up the same. Hit a guy, he rolls off and runs away so he can heal. Repeat until he runs out of estus. Hit him some more. He runs away to hide behind enemies. Also the bosses and enemies in 3 are so god drat boring coming straight off of 2.

Dark Souls 3 is kind of lame in general. Like, it's still a Souls game and it's fine, but after loving DS2 a whole bunch I was sorta let down by the sequel.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah it's very formulaic and by the numbers. At least DS2 felt different

Granted it's a very competent execution and it does have some fresh bits here and there but after bloodborne, it feels uninspired and dry

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Nuebot posted:

Just because you don't see a problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Hope that helps.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

All the talk about Bioshock 2 made me remember how much I hated the feel of fighting machine gun Splicers in the first game. It felt less like I was getting shot and more like they applied a health degeneration effect to me whenever I was in line of sight with them, even if I set them on fire and shot them up or they only saw me through a tiny crack for a moment. I didn't bother playing later games.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Yeah it's very formulaic and by the numbers. At least DS2 felt different

Granted it's a very competent execution and it does have some fresh bits here and there but after bloodborne, it feels uninspired and dry

I thought the Ringed City dlc is was great at least, even if the numbers were too high.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I've spent four hours trying to beat the final boss of Dark Souls. By which I mean I've spent about five minutes actually fighting the boss, and three hours fifty-five minutes walking through the Kiln.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Have you tried running past the knights?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Yeah, they're hilariously easy to run past.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MD really didn't capture my attention like HR did at all, and for some reason I found it a lot rougher to play. I did a few hours of breach mode then a few of the campaign then put it down. It's not bad but not really that compelling either. After losing the augs then getting the unknown ones and dying in like three bullets for five hours it really killed my drive to move on too.

Also lmao that 15 minute opening video really puts HR in a bad light. "Jensen went here, then across the world, then across the world again, then across the world again, then he found his girlfriend, I guess, then he went across the world again". :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

It's kind of astounding how quickly people have forgotten what a shitshow of a publisher SE is. They killed Deus Ex with that garbage. Instead of following up surprise hit Sleeping Dogs with a proper sequel they forced them to make some worthless multiplayer spinoff that never made it to market. Just Cause 3 was a huge mess and was originally going to be saddled with endless microtransactions ("just a concept screenshot" my rear end). Hitman had its insane subscription-esque system toned down and even then when it somehow didn't make billions of dollars despite critical acclaim they were ready to kill it and it was only saved by IO buying the rights back and going independent. Thief 4 was originally developed as a completely tone-deaf reboot that chased every modern design trend even when it didn't fit the series' ethos and came out the other side a bland Dishonored clone. Finally doing something with that dormant Legacy of Kain IP, we got....a badly balanced L4D multiplayer-meets-deathmatch game that wanted to be the next League of Legends and never made it out of beta.

The only western SE franchise that still somehow exists is Tomb Raider, and even Rise had inklings of the same kind of crap with the card-based survival mode and the coin shop. I won't be the least bit surprised if something titanically stupid sinks the third game (100 Laras drop onto an island) and/or SE just finally drops the series when it doesn't sell <Human Population * 3> copies.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Have you tried running past the knights?

Also black knights, and the final boss, are in all honesty some of the easiest enemies in the game. Become the parry king you always knew you were.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Terminally Bored posted:

Just because you don't see a problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Hope that helps.

:thejoke:

John Murdoch posted:

It's kind of astounding how quickly people have forgotten what a shitshow of a publisher SE is. They killed Deus Ex with that garbage. Instead of following up surprise hit Sleeping Dogs with a proper sequel they forced them to make some worthless multiplayer spinoff that never made it to market. Just Cause 3 was a huge mess and was originally going to be saddled with endless microtransactions ("just a concept screenshot" my rear end). Hitman had its insane subscription-esque system toned down and even then when it somehow didn't make billions of dollars despite critical acclaim they were ready to kill it and it was only saved by IO buying the rights back and going independent. Thief 4 was originally developed as a completely tone-deaf reboot that chased every modern design trend even when it didn't fit the series' ethos and came out the other side a bland Dishonored clone. Finally doing something with that dormant Legacy of Kain IP, we got....a badly balanced L4D multiplayer-meets-deathmatch game that wanted to be the next League of Legends and never made it out of beta.

The only western SE franchise that still somehow exists is Tomb Raider, and even Rise had inklings of the same kind of crap with the card-based survival mode and the coin shop. I won't be the least bit surprised if something titanically stupid sinks the third game (100 Laras drop onto an island) and/or SE just finally drops the series when it doesn't sell <Human Population * 3> copies.

Square Enix is also responsible for bringing all those franchises back from the dead after they withered on the vine at the hands of their original creators (or, in the case of Sleeping Dogs, was dropped by their original publisher) so it's still a net gain.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

John Murdoch posted:

It's kind of astounding how quickly people have forgotten what a shitshow of a publisher SE is. They killed Deus Ex with that garbage.

I am very, very sure that it was actually Ion Storm who killed Deus Ex with garbage, to the point where they don't exist anymore. The fact that we got two games (okay, a game and a quarter) after Invisible War* is nothing short of an actual miracle, and while S-E definitely mismanaged Mankind Divided into the gutter I thought I'd never get to play a new Deus Ex after 2004.

*I fuckin' love Invisible War, but it is not a good game, and absolutely killed the franchise's momentum stone-dead.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think the worst part is, how the hell do you build up unknown or long dead franchises to their apex and then gently caress everything up in the very next sequel? How can someone look at everything that went right with a project and say "Okay, now let's do the opposite"?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

After one hundred forty hours, I finally beat Dark Souls. The runback to the bosses is still tedious indefensible garbage. Yeah, it's fairly easy to dodge the knights/ghosts/weird fat dragon statue things, but it still takes time, and then you go in and get flattened in seconds and have to run alllllll the way back again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Byzantine posted:

After one hundred forty hours, I finally beat Dark Souls. The runback to the bosses is still tedious indefensible garbage. Yeah, it's fairly easy to dodge the knights/ghosts/weird fat dragon statue things, but it still takes time, and then you go in and get flattened in seconds and have to run alllllll the way back again.

I honestly can't think of that many bosses in the first game with extra lovely boss runs? Did you miss a short cut or bonfire?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Man if I'd paid more than $10 for Titanfall 2 I would be disappointed as all hell. I probably won't play the multiplayer and the story was short and abrupt.

Brobot was the best though

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Len posted:

Man if I'd paid more than $10 for Titanfall 2 I would be disappointed as all hell. I probably won't play the multiplayer and the story was short and abrupt.

Brobot was the best though

as someone who's not usually into it the multiplayer's pretty dang fun, i'd try it out for a bit

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah, again - the multiplayer in TF2 is the best FPS gameplay I've seen in ages. The addition of mooks to apply pressure and populate huge levels is a really clever game mechanic, the mobility options are great (and the levels are built for them) and although there's progression, you get some pretty drat fantastic guns to start with, even if you do have to play a few matches to unlock robots or whatever.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I don't know if I'd blame everything about MD on Square Enix. Yes, the ending is abrupt as hell but I think the whole game was pretty bad throughout. If that was indeed 25% of the planned game I don't think I'd want to play the rest of it.

Nuebot posted:

I honestly can't think of that many bosses in the first game with extra lovely boss runs? Did you miss a short cut or bonfire?

Plenty of them are kinda long but I guess Four Kings, Nito and Seath could be considered lovely. Pinwheel too, if you ever died to him somehow.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Been playing through Iconoclasts and it's way late in the game and my character feels about the same as they did at the start. I have not found a single health upgrade, and the stuff I get from looking for items is either material for making Tweaks, which are sorta upgrades but they break one by one when you take a single hit and you only have 3 slots for them and a lot of them probably could have just been permanent upgrades, or schematics...for more tweaks. All the regular metroidvania progression upgrades you find mostly just function as a elaborate key and none of them make exploring more enjoyable to do. The whole game feels like its missing my favorite thing about the genre, where backtracking to find upgrades is actually fun to do usually and the upgrades actually feel like they have some worth, It's gotten to the point where I mostly just kinda ignore chests unless it looks pretty easy to get to.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Nuebot posted:

The Sen's fortress one is pretty easy to miss you're first time through and a really brutal one to miss.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

rodbeard posted:

The Sen's fortress one is pretty easy to miss you're first time through and a really brutal one to miss.

Same with the hidden lost izalith bonfire

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

ilmucche posted:

Same with the hidden lost izalith bonfire

I forgot that one was hidden because I had so much trouble seeing anything I just watched a video of someone else going through the level.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
gently caress sens fortress and the capra demon

i dont care how much of a true dark souls murderhead you are, i hate those parts. but it is ok to like trash, just look at me, dark souls 2 was my favorite game of the series

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Capra's a son of a bitch but I never got people's gripes about Sens, I was kind of underwhelmed the first time and then you get to watch Tarkus blow the golem's rear end in a top hat out.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

Capra's a son of a bitch but I never got people's gripes about Sens, I was kind of underwhelmed the first time and then you get to watch Tarkus blow the golem's rear end in a top hat out.

I'd definitely understand hating Sen's if you don't find the bonfire.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sen's Fortress is a heart-in-mouth experience the whole way through and I really think making its bonfire so well-concealed was excessively cruel.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Oxxidation posted:

Sen's Fortress is a heart-in-mouth experience the whole way through and I really think making its bonfire so well-concealed was excessively cruel.

True, but in addition to the bonfire, isn't there also a really cool shortcut behind the breakable wall?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

CordlessPen posted:

True, but in addition to the bonfire, isn't there also a really cool shortcut behind the breakable wall?

There's a lift you can unlock that lets you skip the fortress, but you need to find the key for it. They key is past the merchant, who you need to do a difficult jump to get to, so it's not exactly easy to find either. Also, when you're looking for both the bonfire or the key, the giant is throwing bombs at you.

I mean, just like most of DS1, once you know how to do it Sen's Fortress isn't that hard to do, but the odds are very heavily stacked against you the first time you try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

spit on my clit posted:

gently caress sens fortress and the capra demon

i dont care how much of a true dark souls murderhead you are, i hate those parts. but it is ok to like trash, just look at me, dark souls 2 was my favorite game of the series

If it makes it any better, Sen's Fortress and Capra Demon are both roadblocks that get way easier every time you play through Dark Souls.