Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Scarodactyl posted:

I don't know exactly what flavor of crappy construction produced this, but my crappy college rental had a slug infestation in the bathroom. I didn't know slugs even did infestations. I don't mind slugs that much and they're easy enough to take care of, but it was a real :psyduck: for me.

You won't get an infestation unless there is something for the infesting critter to eat. Slugs eat rotting vegetation.

I assume you didn't have a compost pile in your bathroom, so that leaves a couple possibilities: 1. The waste pipes leading from the bathroom to the sewer were damaged by tree roots or something, and the slugs got in and followed the delicious slime coat inside the pipes. 2. The wood was rotting in the bathroom floors/walls due to dampness, and there was a path of damp and rot all the to the soil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

I assume you didn't have a compost pile in your bathroom, so that leaves a couple possibilities: 1. The waste pipes leading from the bathroom to the sewer were damaged by tree roots or something, and the slugs got in and followed the delicious slime coat inside the pipes. 2. The wood was rotting in the bathroom floors/walls due to dampness, and there was a path of damp and rot all the to the soil.

I, rarely, get tiny slugs in my bathroom, but it only seems to happen when it's been raining. I figured they'd been coming in through the vent to the outdoors (it's literally just a hole in the wall with a fan in it) while trying to get away from the wet. I suppose it's possible that they're just continually hanging out in the shower's drain pipe, and come up the drain when it rains because there's more water underground that's leaking into the pipe somehow and flooding them out. That doesn't feel very likely though -- for one thing, if that were the case then I'd expect the shower to flood / not drain properly when it's been raining.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Woke up and went to the bathroom this morning and heard the shower in the adjacent bathroom running. Thought OK, someone is already up taking a shower, so I went back to bed and thought nothing of it.

About 30 minutes later my roommate bursts into my room telling me there is water everywhere. Sure enough there was so I ran and hit the main cut off.

Apparently the loving shower faucet or a pipe fitting connecting to it broke inside the wall; there was water all across the kitchen floor (which is on the other side of the wall), and looping back around down into the hallway. It looks like the 240v stove outlet is in the same wall cavity, so it probably got soaked as well.

This is a recently new house, only 4 years old. And of course NONE of the plumbing has access panels. So it looks like I get to cut a hole in my kitchen wall so I can fix the loving thing. Also my kitchen flooring is probably screwed, it is cheap laminate, the kind that expands when wet. So... Yay! All in all, a fantastic Saturday morning! A++. Would do again.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Oh hey, your builder hired the cheapest plumber in the country. Mine hired an HVAC guy that put the furnace in backward so the access panel was 4 inches from the wall.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

drat fitting broke... Was probably over-tightened when installed. I can see tool marks. Pretty sure these are only supposed to be hand tight.

Gonna have to figure out how to get a fan pointing inside to maybe dry the wall cavity out. Thankfully it wasn't the same wall cavity as the stove outlet.

At least I have an access hole now!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

stevewm posted:

Gonna have to figure out how to get a fan pointing inside to maybe dry the wall cavity out. Thankfully it wasn't the same wall cavity as the stove outlet.

You can buy disposable dehumidifier tubs that you could put in.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is there any non-toxic desiccant you put in there and then shop-vac out after a day or two?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Is there any non-toxic desiccant you put in there and then shop-vac out after a day or two?

Rice.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sawdust would work too

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

(Don't put rice in your walls.)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

These are the disposable tubs of desiccant I was talking about, drop 'em in for a few days then take them out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005MZ1EJE/

stevewm
May 10, 2005

There is a giant hole to the crawl space (the gravel you can see), which is where most of the water ended up thankfully.

Also, they left a extra PVC elbow in the wall.

Went and opened up the crawl space vents, lotsa air moving up though, hopefully help dry it out faster.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

These are the disposable tubs of desiccant I was talking about, drop 'em in for a few days then take them out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005MZ1EJE/

Yeah, we carry these at the store I work at. Might get a couple and put them down inside. The hole I have open up is big enough to reach in.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The wall cavity where the stove outlet was open to this, but thankfully the water didnt get over to it. The spray was mostly concentrated straight down. Which conveniently meant it went under the house.

What a loving mess.... I hope this dries out... ripping it out would mean removing cabinets and ripping out half my bathroom just to get to it

stevewm fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 24, 2018

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Most rent-all places should have some pretty heavy duty, high CFM (like 1000+ cfm) fans that would do a good job of helping the air move around and dry that poo poo up as fast as possible.
It'll help prevent mold, but Painter Of Crap probably knows better. Maybe one big soaking isn't that bad as long as it can get mostly dry as soon as possible.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Most rent-all places should have some pretty heavy duty, high CFM (like 1000+ cfm) fans that would do a good job of helping the air move around and dry that poo poo up as fast as possible.
It'll help prevent mold, but Painter Of Crap probably knows better. Maybe one big soaking isn't that bad as long as it can get mostly dry as soon as possible.

Yeah, I happen to work for a company with a rent-all department... so I already have 2 big blowers right now. One of them is pointed right into the hole.

Opening my crawlspace vents up really made the airflow pick up.. The surface of the wood is mostly dry... Going to leave the hole open for a few days just to make sure it dries fully.

I

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Also discovered the sump pump in my crawl space wasn't working either! There was about 2 inches of water on that end of the house; the sump pit was full and it wasn't running. Float was stuck.

I don't drink, but I'm about to start after today....

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

stevewm posted:

Woke up and went to the bathroom this morning and heard the shower in the adjacent bathroom running. Thought OK, someone is already up taking a shower, so I went back to bed and thought nothing of it.

About 30 minutes later my roommate bursts into my room telling me there is water everywhere. Sure enough there was so I ran and hit the main cut off.

Apparently the loving shower faucet or a pipe fitting connecting to it broke inside the wall; there was water all across the kitchen floor (which is on the other side of the wall), and looping back around down into the hallway. It looks like the 240v stove outlet is in the same wall cavity, so it probably got soaked as well.

This is a recently new house, only 4 years old. And of course NONE of the plumbing has access panels. So it looks like I get to cut a hole in my kitchen wall so I can fix the loving thing. Also my kitchen flooring is probably screwed, it is cheap laminate, the kind that expands when wet. So... Yay! All in all, a fantastic Saturday morning! A++. Would do again.

This is what you have homeowner’s insurance for. Call it in.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

stevewm posted:

Also discovered the sump pump in my crawl space wasn't working either! There was about 2 inches of water on that end of the house; the sump pit was full and it wasn't running. Float was stuck.

I don't drink, but I'm about to start after today....

You made a swimming pool for mice! :peanut:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Owner: Just gently caress my poo poo up.
Contractor: Say no more fam.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Euclid ain't know poo poo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nice sane roofline though.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I don't see anywhere water might pool when it rains, so they got something right.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Buff Skeleton posted:

I don't see anywhere water might pool when it rains, so they got something right.

To the contrary: that's the roof, you're looking straight down in that picture.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Art

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Millennium Falcon Bed & Breakfast

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

This is the visual equivalent of that steamed hams edit where each word is replaced with its first occurrence.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's beautiful, in not sure I have a favourite part it's all so good. Maybe the upside balcony over the door.

Imagine calling in a window cleaner.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I kinda like it.

My favorite part is that the bits of the other houses you can see are normal. Driving down the road you'd see:
:geno::geno::geno::geno::pwn::geno::geno:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You know this kind of architecture really speaks to me.

"Help!"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Looks like a mid-transformation shot of a used window retail store turning into Voltron.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
All I see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnAye40cIDw&t=25s

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Well I think I might be ok.. After several hours with a industrial blower pointed right into the wall it appears to be drying well.

If I do have to tear it all out, not a huge deal. At most it's a 4x6 area of drywall that got affected.

The majority of the water went straight into the crawl space thankfully. Had that not been the case I would probably be tearing my entire kitchen and bathroom out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This looks like a display wall in the window section of one of those house designer stores. Like maybe this house is owned by a window manufacturer and he wanted to show off every style they make.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

It's like a house had a stroke.

What must it be like inside?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Clearly the owner had an abundance of mismatched windows.

I bet there's some really nice lighting on the inside.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/brenaclifton/status/967193292361355264

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

So that Girls with Slingshots plot is based on a true story.