Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

This show is really good.

When Second Howard found the box and First Howard was just sitting there, I may have gotten something in both my eyes at the same time.

Yeah, the way he sold both Howards processing the different contents of the same room and what they meant was just incredibly well done.

Like I don't think the show is going to ever definitely argue at one specific event changing the course of Howard's life, and certainly Anna being born didn't mean that Other Howard and Emily worked out long term, but loss of a child as a trigger for Meek Howard ending up with the life he did certainly has to be up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

About malignant hyperthermia, it is a specific and can often be life ending reaction to the paralytics used to intubate someone prior to an operation. The usual situation is, anesthesiologist administers the paralytic to relax all your muscles to put the intubation tube in, and shortly after all of your muscles start to get rigid and your temperature and blood pressure go through the roof, leading to profound acidosis and potentially death. This is immediately noticeable for what it is by doctors and is reversible with medications.

In Emily’s case, the majority of medications used to keep someone sedated after they are intubated for a trauma would not lead to this situation. So I am not sure how the show will use such information but in reality it shouldn’t come into play. It wouldn’t be realistic at all for the show to portray Emily in some sort of state of continued malignant hyperthermia while in a coma because she would be like posturing and rigid with a 103 temperature and severely acidotic and dead. So. Well, anyways. Just FYI about that.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Also, Baldwin holy gently caress. That fight finisher.
I really hope she's secretly one of the good guys (meaning she's working to prevent something horrible from happening. So horrible that her means are justified by the end).

Well, as much as you can say that about a petite killing machine.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Good show.
I'm guessing the secret plot will either be attempting to take over prime earth gate control, or perhaps to release a pandemic on prime earth to keep it from advancing too much and keep the universes more in sync.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I just about rolled my eyes for the first time at apparent Starz contractual nudity, but they actually made it a proper part of the story and yeah that and the fight wwas a great sequence.

Maybe just my dodge headphones but something funny about the sound/adr/foley? in that episode, like where the voices where coming from and the sound of a 5 pound ashtray hitting the table when he puts his wedding ring down.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

So is sleeping with your prime clone considered cheating? Because I’m pretty sure prime Howard was sleeping with original Emily and original Howard is about to sleep with Emily prime I imagine this like sexual clone cube they are about to create is fine.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

Blind Rasputin posted:

So is sleeping with your prime clone considered cheating? Because I’m pretty sure prime Howard was sleeping with original Emily and original Howard is about to sleep with Emily prime I imagine this like sexual clone cube they are about to create is fine.

The whole contradiction between one Emily having a miscarriage and the other having the baby was so sad.

Great episode and very well written.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Is the guy Marcel tries to pick up in the first episode explained? Because it seems like he was working with Baldwin (I dunno why he'd lock himself in if it wasn't part of a trap), but I thought it was stated that she came through alone.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

Is the guy Marcel tries to pick up in the first episode explained? Because it seems like he was working with Baldwin (I dunno why he'd lock himself in if it wasn't part of a trap), but I thought it was stated that she came through alone.

There's obviously a greater network of agents working on this side (ex. Baldwin's handler), so they would just have tapped a local resource to assist in the hit.

Whether that resource also crossed over in the past or is a native related to the leak in the Third Floor, no idea.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
It could just as easily be a prostitute she hired out that had no idea he was part of an assassination plot, just told to lead this guy to the back then go away

I do hope we get some answers on the breakout fan favorite character, man locked in a gay nighclub bathroom

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Poor Howard-A, his life being revealed to be even more tragic.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

You’re confusing your terms.

Prime = meek Howard universe

Other = black ops Howard universe

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Josh Lyman posted:

You’re confusing your terms.

Prime = black ops Howard universe

In the promos he's been referred to as such.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZkX95rp2hs

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Closed Captioning also refers to Cool Howard as Prime Howard.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What the gently caress that's intentionally confusing :mad:

That also changes things if the writers think that's the "original" universe

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Josh Lyman posted:

What the gently caress that's intentionally confusing :mad:

That also changes things if the writers think that's the "original" universe

IIRC there is no original universe anymore. The original universe split into 2 that both diverged from each other, like two branches coming off the same trunk.

"Prime" in mathematics is used to denote a variable that's related to an existing one, so if the variable x undergoes some kind of change then the result is named x-prime just like Howard Prime is a reflection of the first Howard we meet.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
It's kind of mean for mild mannered Howard to act like a nice dad to Anna when she's just going to get her lovely dad back in a week

Unless he secretly has a cunning plan to replace rear end in a top hat Howard in the world where he has a conscious wife and the daughter he always wanted :ninja:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Prime Berlin seems way too empty for losing 7 percent of the global population to the plague 20 years ago unless it was ground zero and that would mean it came from the crossing.
From the licence plate in the first scene where Baldwin kills the cops there is also no EU in Prime, maybe some world government was created from the efforts to stop the plague.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

CeeJee posted:

Prime Berlin seems way too empty for losing 7 percent of the global population to the plague 20 years ago

Could be an aversion to density

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

This guy cashing in on clone sex. Counterpart 2: prime time

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

But for serious, man what an emotional ending. From the hospital scene to that ending I was nearly in tears. This show is amazingly good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

But for serious, man what an emotional ending. From the hospital scene to that ending I was nearly in tears. This show is amazingly good.
I read your 2 posts and was so confused then realized I hadn't actually seen the episode yet. :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Croatoan posted:

Counterpart is fantastic and good. It's like if Fringe and The Americans had a baby and that baby was played by J. K. Simmons.
You son of a bitch that was my line :colbert:

Josh Lyman posted:

Just finished pilot of Counterpart. Good but not great, but that's mainly a script issue with pacing.

I would describe it as Fringe x The Americans. Which you can't say no to.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I love sad JK Simmons and also not-sad JK Simmons.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Is that sad that his counterpart has the family he never had but wasted it JK Simmons, or sad that his counterpart has been living in quiet bliss but it turns out that was all a lie too JK Simmons?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The dopest thing they did was have mirroring external shots of the appartment, but to show the transition to "our" world they just added in a bunch of noise of cars and people. It was super subtle and awesome. Show is great.

Accretionist posted:

I love sad JK Simmons and also not-sad JK Simmons.

This

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CeeJee posted:

losing 7 percent of the global population to the plague 20 years ago
I'm confused about that number. I thought Howard said "that's nearly a billion people", but world population twenty years ago was six billion and 7% of that is only 420,000,000. Did I mishear?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Tiggum posted:

I'm confused about that number. I thought Howard said "that's nearly a billion people", but world population twenty years ago was six billion and 7% of that is only 420,000,000. Did I mishear?

He said half a billion. That's still most of the EU if it was hardest hit.

It's still not yet clear what the hell is going on over there and how the desolation in their Berlin is also combined with the skyline of a giant pyramid (maybe a monument) and several of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_Tower

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

CeeJee posted:

He said half a billion. That's still most of the EU if it was hardest hit.

It's still not yet clear what the hell is going on over there and how the desolation in their Berlin is also combined with the skyline of a giant pyramid (maybe a monument) and several of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_Tower

I am thinking the desolation may not just be everyone is dead but that people are less likely to want to go out and there is a pretty ingrained fear of disease in general given the epidemic.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yo, technically, neither universe would be prime anymore.

THey are both forks of a past event.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

unlawfulsoup posted:

I am thinking the desolation may not just be everyone is dead but that people are less likely to want to go out and there is a pretty ingrained fear of disease in general given the epidemic.

Yeah something like that would leave deep scars on a population.

Case in point, only a couple thousands died on 9/11 but look how deep the scars are to this day

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah something like that would leave deep scars on a population.

Case in point, only a couple thousands died on 9/11 but look how deep the scars are to this day

Spanish flu killed 50 million people a hundred years ago, after the end of a war that killed 41 million people. Hardly anyone remembers it.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

CeeJee posted:

From the licence plate in the first scene where Baldwin kills the cops there is also no EU in Prime

The names of the restaurants in Prime also make me think that the Soviet Union didn't break up and that Germany is possibly part of it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xenix posted:

The names of the restaurants in Prime also make me think that the Soviet Union didn't break up and that Germany is possibly part of it.
That's gonna be the reveal at the end of the season, Howard will travel to headquarters which has a CCCP flag.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Howard has been forever stuck in prime and now has a new job. He walks in to his first day at work, manning a checkpoint booth.

“Next.”

A face appears in the window.

“Glory to Arstotzka...”

*credits roll*

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Laughed out loud at the sci fi polygraph scene

Interrogators: Tell us your secrets :mad:
dumbass nice guy Howard: I dunno :confused:
Interrogators: Oh my god he's more devious then ever :ohdear:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

“You have to love the lie.”

Man, truer words have never been said.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Well, I did not see that particular revelation coming, yet I feel like I should've.

joe football posted:

Laughed out loud at the sci fi polygraph scene

Interrogators: Tell us your secrets :mad:
dumbass nice guy Howard: I dunno :confused:
Interrogators: Oh my god he's more devious then ever :ohdear:

That was excellent.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

At first I thought that scene was meant to be testing if there was a switch - like, in other cases of that happening you'd want proper evidence. But lol nope.

Its a nice touch that you see all the scenes of ...older security guy actually going around doing his job competently, not just being a goon to get yelled at by Quayle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I keep getting an Adrian Veidt vibe from Dull Howard’s boss.

• Locked thread