Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I still think overly rendering colourists kill Travel Foreman's talents and style, but it's been so long since Animal Man that I can only guess that he prefers it (e: does he colour himself these days?)

I'll never forget you, 2011ish Foreman!

edit: These preview pages for the issue aren't like that Black Widow at all. Why does it switch?
https://www.comixology.com/Tales-of-Suspense-2017-102/digital-comic/609135

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dunno. Up until that point, which is the last page of the issue, the artwork was middling but tolerable and none of the faces looked that bad. I'm guessing someone ran out of time and slapped it together at the last second

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit: These preview pages for the issue aren't like that Black Widow at all. Why does it switch?
https://www.comixology.com/Tales-of-Suspense-2017-102/digital-comic/609135

They're painted over poser models too, they just got a little more time put into them.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In a world of Mikel Janin and Mike Deodato, accusing Foreman of relying on models is hilarious.

I'd love to see the one behind this

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 24, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There is absolutely that lifeless mannequin-like quality to his poses that makes it look traced. I'm not saying that it is necessarily, but I can see why someone would think it is.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The faces are so incredibly dead and the skin is colored like a bad blinn shader.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
More of a question/request than posting so I will take this post elsewhere if people want, but I was reading the latest Robin trade and I noticed it had artwork by Steve Lieber. I know Steve's work from more recent stuff and it kind of amazed me that he had work done in the mid-90's. It also amazed my how different his style was back then (probably hindered by Klaus' inkwork which really didn't gel well with the artwork) and it got me wondering about artists with early stuff versus later stuff. Was wondering if there were any great examples of how far artists have come or who have changed their styles radically over the years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

More of a question/request than posting so I will take this post elsewhere if people want, but I was reading the latest Robin trade and I noticed it had artwork by Steve Lieber. I know Steve's work from more recent stuff and it kind of amazed me that he had work done in the mid-90's. It also amazed my how different his style was back then (probably hindered by Klaus' inkwork which really didn't gel well with the artwork) and it got me wondering about artists with early stuff versus later stuff. Was wondering if there were any great examples of how far artists have come or who have changed their styles radically over the years.

Butch/Jackson Guice. Go back and look at his Action Comics work and compare it to his Captain America. The difference is unreal.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I love seeing an old creator's style evolving rather than staying stagnant. It's really heartening.

Greg Capullo is the prime example.
Liefield also-ran in the 90's (following him on X-Force, to be fair)

to completely holding his own in the modern era, in his mid-50's

I prefer modern Howard Porter to him on Morrison's JLA, but I understand his new style was born out of relearning how to draw following a hand injury.
old
new

Lee Weeks is better now than 20 years ago.
old
new

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 27, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Greg Land :suicide101:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Madkal posted:

Bill Sienkiewicz, Herb Trimpe and Frank Miller come to mind. Trimpe was never that good to begin with but got way worse, going from aping Jack Kirby to aping Rob Liefeld. Miller used to be quite good but, over time, even if he wasn't always the world's greatest draftsman, he seemed to degenerate into not even give a poo poo what he was drawing and just came off as loving lazy leading to some genuinely ugly poo poo.

Sienkiewicz's evolution is astonishing to witness. He went from a straight up Neal Adams clone to some one that transcended and revolutionized the medium. You can practically see him growing chronologically with every piece he does.

Come to think of it, John Byrne got worse over time too. How come so many of these dudes get worse? Boredom?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
In Byrne's case, it's definitely complacency. He flat out said some time in the '90s that he'd reached the pinnacle of his talent or some such nonsense, so he's actively not trying anymore because he thinks he doesn't have to. It's baffling.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Larroca

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Howard Chaykin going from stuff like American Flagg to stub arms Wolverine

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Jae Lee

From

to

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Paris Cullins, 1980s:

Paris Cullins, 1990s:

Although that was less an artistic evolution than a deliberate attempt to ape the Image style. He's since gone back to something more like his original work.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Lee Weeks is better now than 20 years ago.

I had never read an issue of Hulk before I saw Lee Weeks' run on Incredible Hulk back in 2005, so about 13 years ago. Excellent stuff.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lobok posted:

I had never read an issue of Hulk before I saw Lee Weeks' run on Incredible Hulk back in 2005, so about 13 years ago. Excellent stuff.

Looking at the Comixology sample pages for that, I think I'm seeing some pretty direct JRjr and Steve Dillon influences.
Not bad things to have, but his current Batman stuff is another level.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Looking at the Comixology sample pages for that, I think I'm seeing some pretty direct JRjr and Steve Dillon influences.
Not bad things to have, but his current Batman stuff is another level.

I don't see Dillon but yes to JRjr. At the time Weeks and Jim Cheung reminded me of one another.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

In Byrne's case, it's definitely complacency. He flat out said some time in the '90s that he'd reached the pinnacle of his talent or some such nonsense, so he's actively not trying anymore because he thinks he doesn't have to. It's baffling.

I had the chance to watch Byrne drawing at a convention around 1981. He was sitting at a table with a small easel and a pencil and he slowly began to sketch, and as I watched the figures emerged. From a blank sheet he produced a beautiful drawing of a mirror image Scarlet Witch, one in her original costume and the other in the eighties version. It seemed effortless.

He was my favorite artist, and from the late seventies through the early eighties I sought out anything he worked on, but as comic prices quickly rose and he moved on from the X-Men my interest in comics dissipated. Even if the quality of his work deteriorated what he did back in that time will always be my standard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At some point Byrne also decided that he was a brilliant graphic designer and stared putting poorly composed computer-drawn backgrounds into his work. This stuff showed up in his DC books when he was on Wonder Woman and the Fourth World books he ruined.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

Larroca

Nah, he hasn't changed much at all, he just lucked into an assignment where he can glue movie stills onto his art instead of tracing a face.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't know if Larroca was tracing back then or not, but what I've seen of his work on Xtreme X-Men isn't all that appealing either.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
JRjr is also a guy whose art has changed drastically over the years. He started out aping his dad's style, then started trying to mirror what was happening in the 90s, before he started getting his own blocky style later on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

I don't know if Larroca was tracing back then or not, but what I've seen of his work on Xtreme X-Men isn't all that appealing either.

Larocca was tracing Jim Lee's work way the hell back in the day. I think Wizard called him out for tracing Wildcats in a Wolverine issue he drew.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
A ton of those South American guys--Roger Cruz, Salvador Larocca, Luke Ross, et al--spent the 90s aping Joe Madureira and then re-emerged in the mid-2000s as "photorealistic" guys. Mike Deodato had a similar transformation, but he wasn't quite as explicitly manga flavored as the others to begin with.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Eh, even by the early 80s on X-Men JRJR's style was starting to materialize, and it was what it became before the 90s hit. He hasn't really changed substantially since then.

Here's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear from 1993:

Here's Superman #32 from 2011

Even the same inkers!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Benito Cereno posted:

A ton of those South American guys--Roger Cruz, Salvador Larocca, Luke Ross, et al--spent the 90s aping Joe Madureira and then re-emerged in the mid-2000s as "photorealistic" guys. Mike Deodato had a similar transformation, but he wasn't quite as explicitly manga flavored as the others to begin with.

I believe most of them were repped by Dave Campitti of Glass House Graphics. Roger Cruz, Renato Arlem and a third Image regular were pretty much trained to ape Joe Mad.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Push El Burrito posted:

JRjr is also a guy whose art has changed drastically over the years. He started out aping his dad's style, then started trying to mirror what was happening in the 90s, before he started getting his own blocky style later on.

I don't think he was ever really 90s in the way you mean and he started looking like himself in the 80s when he was doing Daredevil and X-Men

Endless Mike posted:

Eh, even by the early 80s on X-Men JRJR's style was starting to materialize, and it was what it became before the 90s hit. He hasn't really changed substantially since then.

Here's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear from 1993:

Here's Superman #32 from 2011

Even the same inkers!

What this guy said basically

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
He had some 90's stuff, but I guess looking at it I was just seeing it because of the costumes.

Good god the costumes. His 80s though

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Greg Land's art has improved right alongside that of his contemporaries.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jedit posted:

Greg Land's art has improved right alongside that of his contemporaries.

Whoa whoa I didn't say it *improved* I said it *changed*

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Push El Burrito posted:

He had some 90's stuff, but I guess looking at it I was just seeing it because of the costumes.

Good god the costumes. His 80s though

Yeah those are some 90s-rear end costumes, but stylistically that's not really any different from what he produces today. Maybe he drew people bulkier in the 90s, but that's about it.

The 80s one is definitely much closer to his father's work, but you can see some of his eventual style peaking through. I'd almost chalk it up to the inker since, for instance, the cover to Uncanny X-Men #176 is easily identifiable as JRJr.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

That is probably the coolest the 90s have ever looked.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Even in the hell of 90s costuming JrJr's people have a kind of weight to them that others guys from that era totally lacked. Probably because they don't have missing arms/legs conveniently tucked out of view.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
JR Jr studied fashion in his free time and it showed during his Spider-man run, his characters always wore pretty spiffy clothes.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

JR Jr studied fashion in his free time and it showed during his Spider-man run, his characters always wore pretty spiffy clothes.

For real?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I liked when spider-man made a web scarf and hat that one time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prefect posted:

For real?

Have you not read his 90's Spider-man? Mark Bagley talked about picking up on it at the time as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

Have you not read his 90's Spider-man? Mark Bagley talked about picking up on it at the time as well.

I fell out of reading comics for most of the '90s. (Lucky timing, I guess.) :shobon: