Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Parrotine posted:

I liked it when this plot made actual sense

Ah yes that half hour on Destiny Island at the start of 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

SO HERE'S THE THING

If you kill the Heartless and the Nobody of some one, they reunite and become that person again

So because Sora killed a billion Heartless, most of the Nobodies he killed came back as well

Ah ok, I guess that makes sense.

Why so many keyblade wielders now? I remember back in KH2 when Kairi out of all people got one and was thinking 'this is getting a little ridiculous' and now they're passing them out like party favors. It's all YOU GET A KEYBLADE, AND YOU GET A KEYBLADE, AND YOU GET ONE

I thought Sora's whole deal was that he was THE keyblade wielder, as in singular. Now we got a baker's dozen or so, and now I'm trying to figure out what was so special about Sora in the first place :confused:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Parrotine posted:

Why so many keyblade wielders now? I remember back in KH2 when Kairi out of all people got one and was thinking 'this is getting a little ridiculous' and now they're passing them out like party favors. It's all YOU GET A KEYBLADE, AND YOU GET A KEYBLADE, AND YOU GET ONE

I thought Sora's whole deal was that he was THE keyblade wielder, as in singular. Now we got a baker's dozen or so, and now I'm trying to figure out what was so special about Sora in the first place :confused:

Sora's way better at murder than the rest of them.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Parrotine posted:

Why so many keyblade wielders now?

now that disney owns star wars it's gonna turn out that keyblade wielders are like jedis and when there are too many a few of them grow up to be sith lords

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Parrotine posted:

It's not just one. In BBS, you come to a place called The Keyblade Graveyard. It's just miles of Keyblades stuck in the ground. A leftover from the Keyblade War.

Because of the war, the number of weilders decreased. Now, it's starting to go back up again. Think the Jedi from Star Wars.

Sora wasn't supposed to get the Keyblade in KH1; Riku was. But, as it turned out, he had Darkness in his heart, so the Keyblade chose Sora instead.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I need a copy of sparknotes with my future copy of KH3

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Parrotine posted:

I need a copy of sparknotes with my future copy of KH3

Or you could just play Dream Drop Distance which contains text summaries of the previous games that unlock as you move through the story.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

BBS managed to predict the ending of The Last Jedi.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Parrotine posted:

So the other two are right- there used to be a lot more Keyblade Masters but they all kind of killed each other off.

There was a huge Keyblade War ages ago and even now there are only a few people trained in the art and most of them effectively killed each other.

But there is another element to this.

It's been implied a few times that Sora *IS* still unique. It's implied that his keyblade is unique some how compared to other ones, that it's The Keyblade

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Burkion posted:

So the other two are right- there used to be a lot more Keyblade Masters but they all kind of killed each other off.

There was a huge Keyblade War ages ago and even now there are only a few people trained in the art and most of them effectively killed each other.

But there is another element to this.

It's been implied a few times that Sora *IS* still unique. It's implied that his keyblade is unique some how compared to other ones, that it's The Keyblade

Some say Chiblade but the meaning is the same.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

fallin1 posted:

Well, the Chiblade is something else’s but by two top predictions for KHIII wtf-ness are

1) the Kingdom Key and the Kingdom Key D are two halves of the Chiblade

And

2) Sora is the personification of Kingdom Hearts (the confusing metaphysical concept, that is)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

fallin1 posted:

Ah, Keyblade, or some say Chiblade, do your hear our hearts?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Does anyone else just pronounce it as "X-Blade"?

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

in japan it's called the O-Blade

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The ⳩blade

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Parrotine posted:

"That thing right there. It's called the Keyblade, isn't it? Yep, it seems like these days everybody's got one of those..." - A real thing a character says in a Kingdom Hearts game

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

bizarre deformity posted:

"That thing right there. It's called the Keyblade, isn't it? Yep, it seems like these days everybody's got one of those..." - A real thing a character says in a Kingdom Hearts game
I also got a kick out of Lea saying he was immortal in Birth by Sleep. Boy was he right...

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

bizarre deformity posted:

He even sells his body to get one.

Should’ve just bugged Yen Sid until he gave him one like Lea did. :colbert:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

xblade

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

cowards do this

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That kinda reminds me, I gave up on Unchained/Union Cross ages ago but I think they made it a point that the reason everybody got keyblades like candy back then was cause they were artificial in some way? Or at least not "earned".

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

HGH posted:

That kinda reminds me, I gave up on Unchained/Union Cross ages ago but I think they made it a point that the reason everybody got keyblades like candy back then was cause they were artificial in some way? Or at least not "earned".

Considering the Keyblade War altered the ontological structure of the world, it might be a moot point. Back Cover strongly implies all keyblades (beginning with the Union Leaders') originated from the Master of Masters.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Lol play the mobile game to get the BACKSTORY AND LORE

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/RavenousRuss/status/968254560815923201

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

If only, if only.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Shia or bust

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Finally, Sora takes on his greatest enemy- the prison industrial complex.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

I think I would die. I would actually set my PS4 controller to the side, lay down, and die.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

melodicwaffle posted:

in japan it's called the O-Blade

Well akshually in Japan it’s called Doki Doki Panicblade

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Hey everyone. Having formerly only played Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II (years ago), I decided with KHIII looming on the horizon to get back into this series and get the PS4 collection and boy has this been a ride.

I've played Kingdom Hearts, Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts II, and watched 358/2 Days. I remember thinking that Roxas and Namine's fates in KHII were hosed up, but was not expecting 358/2 Days to make it even more hosed up and introduce a character with an even worse fate.

I just started Birth by Sleep today and am anticipating this horror show continuing with more awful fates forced onto characters that absolutely do not deserve them.

Also today one of my roommates asked me to explain 358/2 Days to her and even though I understand it in my head it was really frustrating to try to sort out verbally.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least one person in bbs deserved everything

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPySarvcltE&t=2043s

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Sakurazuka posted:

At least one person in bbs deserved everything
I'd argue all three of the heroes deserve it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aqua did nothing wrong

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

She almost purposefully made it seem like Eraqus ordered her to do underhanded poo poo involving Terra, despite that never actually happening. Also her absolute refusal to just sit Ventus down and make him see why he has to go home helped ruin things for everyone. She, Terra, and Ventus are all pretty lovely and kind of deserve what they got.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
People act like Aqua isn't as stupid or dumb as the other two because everyone was so stoked a female protagonist got screen time and boss fights instead of getting stolen or being the boss fight, so people pretend she has a personality or, like, any redeemable traits.

BBS is trash, I hope Sora frags all 3 of them

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol stfu

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
BBS is trash but Aqua is the only tolerable part of it.

e: the entire plot hinges around everyone involved being a colossal moron and that sort of thing gets annoying in 15-minute cartoons, let alone a 30+ hour game

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

People act like Aqua isn't as stupid or dumb as the other two because everyone was so stoked a female protagonist got screen time and boss fights instead of getting stolen or being the boss fight, so people pretend she has a personality or, like, any redeemable traits.

BBS is trash, I hope Sora frags all 3 of them

Remember that time in Deep Space where, when captured by Gantu, instead of just sucking it up or running away like our other two heroes she calmly explains herself to the local authority figure, gets Gantu in trouble for being an idiot and helps everyone involved?

That's why people like her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Aqua spends most of her game cleaning up the messes Terra and Ven left behind in the other worlds and is generally the most competent member of the cast (though she's also bland as gently caress and has her own share of screw ups). On the other hand, Chain of Memories was technically all her fault.