Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NTRabbit posted:

Except she never actually died, and was actually pictured at the end of the episode walking through the sith temple rubble, and I really never got why people were so insistent that she'd died when actual onscreen evidence demonstrated she hadn't

She was walking down a couple of steps in to a doorway, which apparently symbolised a fall. Why descending some steps would be used as symbolism for a fall instead of just having her falling, or why they'd want to symbolise a fall in the first place when she didn't actually become lesser in dying I don't know; but that was the argument here at least.

I also recall some people saying it was a force ghost, which makes no sense since (a) the model wasn't transparent, (b) it had color variation and (c) there'd be no reason for a force ghost to walk anywhere or appear for it's own amusement with no audience.

That said, I do kind of think that was an appropriate end for her character and wish they hadn't immediately walked it back. Either have her die there, or don't tease her dying at all. I also don't like that they used time travel to bring her back, since it kind of ignores that scene of her walking in to a doorway and acts like she would have died otherwise and also cheapen both the scene and the setting in general in my opinion. I get not everyone feels that way, but I do. I would honestly have preferred she just show up with no explanation than it be down to time travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Moon Slayer posted:

Here's my prediction: Ahsoka knew she had been pulled into the future and that she was "dead" for for the intervening time, so she's been laying low but comes back for the final battle. Then her and Ezra fly off into the Unknown Regions to search for and protect other temples like Lothal's.

It read more like Ezra pulled her out of the fight into a place outside of the universe's timestream, and then she re-enters the timestream in the present with all the 'missing' time chalked up to force shenanigans.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

edit: Removed, because what I said is flat out wrong, based on that Rebels Recon video, so I'm dumb.

"For that boy, there is nothing I would not do." Was that Hondo's voice? Like, I don't know why he would say that, but that sounded like his voice and accent, only a bit deeper.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 27, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

That traditional animation on the temple was really loving gorgeous too.

thrawn527 posted:

"For that boy, there is nothing I would not do." Was that Hondo's voice? Like, I don't know why he would say that, but that sounded like his voice and accent, only a bit deeper.

Yeah the teaser on Rebels Recon shows Hondo's in the next episode.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 27, 2018

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Pops Mgee posted:

Did anyone else get similar vibes to the Twin Peaks finale when Ezra saved Ahsoka

That place with the portals was clearly a black/white lodge. The Mortis gods are going to throw Ezra into an alternate timeline/universe for the finale. Obviously this cartoon show for children would draw heavily from the works of Lynch.

The finale trailer explicitly uses the Twin Peaks title font/color, so you might be onto something here.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Doesn't really mean anything to us adults who haven't seen Twin Peaks either

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So could it have been that when we saw Ahsoka walking out of the temple at the end of season 2, that was actually her returning from the world between worlds? Or am I thinking about this wrong.

Nevermind, just watched the Rebels Recon for this episode Filoni explicitly states that's exactly what happens. Seeing her descending the staircase in the temple at the end of season 2 was just moments after she had returned from the portal. So cool.

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 27, 2018

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

That Owl wasn't what it seemed.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

teagone posted:

So could it have been that when we saw Ahsoka walking out of the temple at the end of season 2, that was actually her returning from the world between worlds? Or am I thinking about this wrong.

Nevermind, just watched the Rebels Recon for this episode Filoni explicitly states that's exactly what happens. Seeing her descending the staircase in the temple at the end of season 2 was just moments after she had returned from the portal. So cool.

So this again begs the question, where the gently caress has she been? Is she stuck on the planet, like Maul? Was she actually laying low to not have any time travel fuckery?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

thrawn527 posted:

So this again begs the question, where the gently caress has she been? Is she stuck on the planet, like Maul? Was she actually laying low to not have any time travel fuckery?

I imagine we'll find out, either next episode, or elsewhere

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

NTRabbit posted:

I imagine we'll find out, either next episode, or elsewhere

Well, sure, but we've gotta talk about something, right?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Star Wars Explained guy pointed out that Palpatines blue flame alter was last used when he was creating illusions in the Clone Wars, so its likely Kanaan's death was just that, trying to lure Ezra to jump right into Palpatines clutches. He also pointed out that that portal straight up had the Sith symbol above it, so its likely in the Sith Temple under the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, which is the Imperial Palace now.

So Palpatine knew about the Jedi Webway already.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

She hasn’t been anywhere. I think she jumped straight from the Vader fight to the World Between Worlds and then back to Malachor in the present. So when Ezra grabbed her, he essentially yanked her forward in time a couple of years. Maybe? That’s how I saw it, anyway.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

DancinBrud posted:

She hasn’t been anywhere. I think she jumped straight from the Vader fight to the World Between Worlds and then back to Malachor in the present. So when Ezra grabbed her, he essentially yanked her forward in time a couple of years. Maybe? That’s how I saw it, anyway.

But Rebels Recon pointed out that when we saw her descend at the end of the episode 2 seasons ago, after she fought Vader, we were seeing what we saw in this episode. So either that episode was showing one small section that took place way later, or she's been put back into her proper time.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

So either that episode was showing one small section that took place way later, or she's been put back into her proper time.

Yeah, why not? It’s a simple misdirect.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

twistedmentat posted:

The Star Wars Explained guy pointed out that Palpatines blue flame alter was last used when he was creating illusions in the Clone Wars, so its likely Kanaan's death was just that, trying to lure Ezra to jump right into Palpatines clutches. He also pointed out that that portal straight up had the Sith symbol above it, so its likely in the Sith Temple under the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, which is the Imperial Palace now.

So Palpatine knew about the Jedi Webway already.

Well yeah, I mean why else do you think he had that researcher there trying to open it up for him? He wasn't just fishing randomly.

It's not an illusion, Kanan is dead. Palpatine's illusion in TCW was experienced by just Yoda, there's too many other people entirely disconnected from Ezra experiencing it, the blue flames are just all sith magic.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 27, 2018

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

NTRabbit posted:

It's not an illusion, Kanan is dead.

The illusion isn’t that Kanan is dead, it’s that Ezra could ever save him. If he had tried, the Emperor would have grabbed him.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Reading some other forums, I'm surprised at how many people bring up the question "Was Ahsoka just lying low for a few years on Malachor, knowing that emerging sooner would alter events?"

I thought the sequence of events as they stand now is fairly obvious:

End of Season 2:
Vader and Ahsoka fight on Malachor
Vader falls through the floor
Ahsoka gets pulled out of her time
Vader limps away

Near the end of Season 4:
Ezra and Ahsoka narrowly escape Palpatine
Ahsoka emerges back on Malachor, returned to her space but not her time
Ahsoka enters the triangular opening, guided by the bird, possibly to find Ezra, who at this point has just escaped the temple on Lothal

In effect, Ahsoka jumps two years ahead in time. It's a much cleaner version than "she waits in a cave for two years".

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

NTRabbit posted:

They're also fine to survive, because neither of them really count as Jedi when Yoda is playing cute with his words to Luke, whereas Kanan/Caleb still was by the proper temple Jedi definition.

I doubt the Emperor is the kind of person who is going to let them live because of some technicalities. But they will survive anyway because they're probably too afraid to kill off any more characters.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

DurosKlav posted:

I doubt the Emperor is the kind of person who is going to let them live because of some technicalities. But they will survive anyway because they're probably too afraid to kill off any more characters.

I hope they go full Rogue One, minus Hera and Chopper :black101:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

DurosKlav posted:

Yeah I didn't mean the Emperor would split hairs, I meant Filoni would be able to split hairs with the story group

Rebels Recon has a special clip of Chopper inside the Jedi webway wishing other droids to explosive death through the portals :unsmigghh:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 27, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Well I hope Ahsoka survives because I'd love some books of her wrecking some poo poo in the background. But her absence from the Rebellion would be kind of weird.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Chopper in the wolf's mouth was the best part. I like to think the wolf was sad to see his new friend go.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

DurosKlav posted:

Chopper in the wolf's mouth was the best part.

I loved it. They kept showing shots of everyone climbing onto their wolves except Chopper, and as we know the show sometimes takes shortcuts (the faceless Imperial officers come to mind, or in the last episode the patrol craft that passed over Zeb's and Hera's heads that was only heard and not shown). So just as I was thinking "yeah, they're probably going to handwave it and just show him again once they arrive", voilà.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phylodox posted:

The illusion isn’t that Kanan is dead, it’s that Ezra could ever save him. If he had tried, the Emperor would have grabbed him.

Yea, Palpatine was creating an Illusion in his gate to try to lure Ezra though. I've noticed in some other places people missed that Palp was appearing in the same gate that Kanaan appeared though. I wonder if the finale will result in the destruction of the webway.

Because of this introducing time travel via the webway, I wonder if one of the places that Ashoka and Ezra can go is into the past. That doesn't kill them but it also removes them from the OT era if they jumped back into the old republic or something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
they'll go back...to the future

episodes owned, they could make a good kotor game out of somebody using the nexus improperly

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

I hope they go full Rogue One, minus Hera and Chopper :black101:

Just kill Ashoka and Ezra to keep Luke as the last hope of the Jedi. Otherwise the whole OT and ST plot is kind of undermined in a big way. Also Zeb and Sabine are cool.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, Palpatine was creating an Illusion in his gate to try to lure Ezra though. I've noticed in some other places people missed that Palp was appearing in the same gate that Kanaan appeared though. I wonder if the finale will result in the destruction of the webway.

Because of this introducing time travel via the webway, I wonder if one of the places that Ashoka and Ezra can go is into the past. That doesn't kill them but it also removes them from the OT era if they jumped back into the old republic or something.

The only choice for Ashoka is to stop Anakin from turning and saving the republic in that situation. Which is funny since you are in a room where you can manipulate time and space so you can finally save your master that you are so hearbroken over but you refuse to do so since time travel is dumb.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 28, 2018

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Calling it now they're going to use this webway thing to bring back Palpatine post Return of the Jedi. That explosion/blue flame poo poo that comes out of the pit is actually the door to the webway opening and closing. Get ready for Sheev in Episode: IX :suicide:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Pops Mgee posted:

Calling it now they're going to use this webway thing to bring back Palpatine post Return of the Jedi. That explosion/blue flame poo poo that comes out of the pit is actually the door to the webway opening and closing. Get ready for Sheev in Episode: IX :suicide:

MOTHERFUCKER.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
All of the voices in the webway had a connection to the Force, right? I don’t remember all of them but I think that’s the case. So then it’s kind of interesting that one of them was Maz Kanata.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pops Mgee posted:

I doubt it, simply because I can't see them using something in the movies that was introduced in one of the cartoons. They appear to be operating a one way street for that. Cartoons use stuff introduced in the movies, but not the other way around.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PantsOptional posted:

All of the voices in the webway had a connection to the Force, right? I don’t remember all of them but I think that’s the case. So then it’s kind of interesting that one of them was Maz Kanata.

Maz was always intended to be an unaffiliated Force User. The scenes of her actually using force powers didn't make in to the final cut of TFA though.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

PantsOptional posted:

Jyn Erso has a line too I think. She carries around that lightsaber crystal in her necklace I guess that's something.

tsob posted:

I doubt it, simply because I can't see them using something in the movies that was introduced in one of the cartoons. They appear to be operating a one way street for that. Cartoons use stuff introduced in the movies, but not the other way around.

While that's mostly true about the 1 way street thing, if someone comes along that wants to inexplicably bring back Sheev, that door is now open.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Much like TCW, I'm gonna miss this show when it's done

At least there's Resistance to look forward to...

Also really loved Vader's lightsaber ignition sound
May have to make that into a Jedi Outcast/Academy soundmod...

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Honestly wouldnt surprise me if the reason Disney is dragging rear end on OT blurays is because they want to CGI in some shots of Hera or Chopper somewhere during the attack briefing or insert the ghost flying around at endor.
Zeb can even get captured with Luke and go up to the deathstar to fist fight IG-88 or some poo poo.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They're replacing all of Leia's scenes with Elsa.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm excited to at least have The Clone Wars to binge through once Rebels finishes up. :)

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

tsob posted:

I doubt it, simply because I can't see them using something in the movies that was introduced in one of the cartoons.

e: so beaten.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

Honestly wouldnt surprise me if the reason Disney is dragging rear end on OT blurays is because they want to CGI in some shots of Hera or Chopper somewhere during the attack briefing or insert the ghost flying around at endor.
Zeb can even get captured with Luke and go up to the deathstar to fist fight IG-88 or some poo poo.

I think it's because the cost wouldn't be trivial to do the super old school OT in addition to the fact that the potential audience isn't that big or lucrative anymore since at least 3 generations only know about the special edtions and don't care about the originals in addition to the home video market shrinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Dreadnought heavy cruisers are canon again, thanks Rebels, for bringing things back, even in the final episode.

Bonus ghost sneaking through the blockade.

• Locked thread