Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

I just get them calling in going "yeah, competitor x has it for $25" when we have it for $70. They ask if I'll price match, to which I say sure, I just have to call to verify the price and make sure the warranties are the same. I call said competitor, find out that oh, its $75 there. Customer arrives, I tell them I called and it was $75 there and one of two things happen. Either they shrug and pay for it anyways or they throw an absolute bitch fit about me not price matching it, at which point I usually suggest they buy it there. Then they just buy it from me anyways because they're full of poo poo.

price match it at the higher price and pocket the difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well, it's not.

You see this all the time in hospitality too. They walk in with a room reserved for, say, $149 and say "I saw your rooms listed on Website X for $129." To which I would tell them "if that's true then go ahead and book a room through them, I'll honor that rate for you and call them to sort out the mistake. The rooms are $149." (This was a small, simple hotel where almost all the rooms were the same type.) They'd usually make a show of double checking before admitting they were full of poo poo with a halfhearted 'oh, I guess that special's gone now' or whatever.

How retarded do you think I am? I know what my rates are.

To be fair, the online sites will show different rates based on a ton of factors (including the IP you're looking from and client you're using). iPhone customers get higher rates quoted, for instance.

It's not impossible for the hotel wifi to result in higher prices being quoted.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Tunicate posted:

To be fair, the online sites will show different rates based on a ton of factors (including the IP you're looking from and client you're using). iPhone customers get higher rates quoted, for instance.

It's not impossible for the hotel wifi to result in higher prices being quoted.

This can happen but it wasn't the case at my hotel. Dozens of people tried that move in the years I was there and only once did they actually manage to show me a lower rate--and it was on account of a mistake I made myself when setting the pricing on Booking.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
One of my old neighbors that came through DT was a huge bitch to me because I didn't put enough cream in her coffee. And here I was thinking she was waving at me 'cause she recognized me! Nah. She knocked on the window after I stupidly waved back

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
14 loving hours again next week. Thank god I don't rely on this job to pay rent. (Meanwhile the lovely coworker who's a complete know-it-all and manages to sit on his rear end 95% of the time has nearly 30 hours.)

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

dovetaile posted:

14 loving hours again next week. Thank god I don't rely on this job to pay rent. (Meanwhile the lovely coworker who's a complete know-it-all and manages to sit on his rear end 95% of the time has nearly 30 hours.)

How is it that there are so many stories like this? I’ve read a ton of this thread and there’s always the lovely coworker that sits on their rear end that gets all the hours. If it’s just because they are playing the game, then why don’t you play too?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

areyoucontagious posted:

How is it that there are so many stories like this? I’ve read a ton of this thread and there’s always the lovely coworker that sits on their rear end that gets all the hours. If it’s just because they are playing the game, then why don’t you play too?

Because you're talking about different skills. You're better at doing your job than they are. They're better at politicking and currying favor with the boss than you are. Guess which skill gets you more hours, better shifts, and immunity to repercussions for doing no work.

I mean this is the way the world works, everywhere, all the time. It's the precise reason why (U.S. at least) government is hopelessly broken: that the people who rise to the top are the people who are supremely skilled at winning elections--so skilled at that one thing that they've never had time to learn how to do anything else, like run a country.

Big corporations, executives, exactly the same thing. The people who rise are the most skilled politicians, which has nothing to do with knowing how to run a big company--in fact, actually knowing how to do the job is selected against because that means less of your time is going to politicking and getting better at politicking, and you lose out to people who don't waste their time doing work.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 22, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

areyoucontagious posted:

Sometimes it is as simple as seniority. You might ask yourself, "How can a lovely employee last that long? Wouldn't they be fired?"

Well. If you show up most of the time, if you don't often call out, congratulations- you are so far ahead of the curve you will almost certainly never be fired.

Sometimes they're management. Then they're not sitting on their asses- they're "delegating".

Sometimes they get preferential treatment for whatever reason. Sometimes they're a brown-noser. Sometimes they're loving the married manager in his office when he gets a closing shift.

For what it's worth, the same qualities that can win "the game" with one manager might lose it with another.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
It's fatalistic thinking but that's just how the world works. Which never get fixed until everybody no longer has to choose between satisfying material desires over idealistic morals.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
It's tangentially related to the Peter Principle.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Six day vacation next week.

Just one shift.

Less than six hours.

Five days off in a row.

I don't have the money to go anywhere and that's fine because I'm not doing poo poo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I don't have the money to go anywhere and that's fine because I'm not doing poo poo.

Just vegetating at home for days is so incredibly refreshing sometimes.

MC Hawking posted:

It's tangentially related to the Peter Principle.

The Peter Principle ("everyone is promoted to their level of incompetence") is either outdated or was never true in the first place; I wasn't around 50 years ago so can't say. The Dilbert Principle ("the least effective workers are systematically moved to the place where they can do the least harm: management") is closer to the mark, IMO--it more or less correctly observes what happens, but doesn't really explain why. Why do people who do no work, or gently caress up on the rare occasions that they do attempt to do work, so often climb the ladder? It's because the skills that enable you to climb the ladder have nothing to do with the skills that make you effective at your job--any job. Including management. People who are terrible managers and leaders can, and very frequently do, climb steadily all the way into the C-suites, because these people are very, very good at hobnobbing, politicking, cloak-and-daggering, the whole nine yards. To the exclusion of being good at anything else.

That's half the answer to the question of why executive management so consistently fucks up. The other half--related but distinct--is the extreme (usually self inflicted) difficulty any manager has in obtaining accurate information about anything, because subordinates are more consistently rewarded for telling their superiors pleasant lies than for telling the truth. The rare boss who actually rewards subordinates for telling unvarnished truth and being critical still faces years of effort before anyone will trust them enough to do so. And that boss won't climb very far up the ladder. Anyone who tells the straight truth in any kind of corporate environment very quickly learns that it is the path to pain.

(e: this is commonly known as the SNAFU principle)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 23, 2018

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Six day vacation next week.

Just one shift.

Less than six hours.

Five days off in a row.

Vegetating is fun for like two days but make sure to take a walk or go out to lunch. Treat yourself with something.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Awful regulars who like you

I have collected a handful of Those People. They do not speak to my coworkers; they will wait for me. They do not trust anyone else. Everyone else is rude, or stupid, or both. They think I am The Most Competent Person In The Store to the point where I can actually tell most of them "No." without having to run for cover, because they trust my opinion. God forbid I am ever wrong (I try very hard not to say anything that might be wrong in their presence). They expect me to handle all their problems no matter what department actually owns said problems. I have nightmares about their horrific demands.

I hate most of them deeply. If my false retail kindness could kill they'd all be dead a hundred times over. Unfortunately some of them are regulars, or well-off customers who will gladly buy whatever I push, so I have learned to drown them in sickly-sweet customer service until they have satisfied their gluttonous appetites for attention and validation, and they always leave thanking me no matter how pissed off they were when they came in. I might be a masochist but I at least have my pride - I give loving amazing customer service.

Edit: I need to vegetate, I worked my Good Job M-F, worked Retail tonight and tomorrow and Sunday, and then do another M-F at the Good Job. I'm gonna be mush by Tuesday.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I was training a newbie on POS today and a man comes up and asks him "Where do I get my order?" I was a little frazzled so I was like "....what?" and then once I figured it out I laughed. The man says "why are you laughing at me" all angry like ??? I wasnt laughing at you

anyway he wanted his mobile order refunded because it wasnt ready when he got there and we can only refund it to your starbucks account and he got mad and then told my shift that I laughed at him and that he was going to call corporate

I guess when you're a hammer everything looks like a nail. I'm glad he found someome to take his impotent rage out on today

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Pro tip for the day.

If you buy a lovely second hand care make sure you insure it before driving it anywhere.

Yes, my day at work was great, thanks for asking. My car is fine

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Had some person fill up their vehicle again without having any way to pay for it. Generally I'm sympathetic to these sort of people, as the problem is the system. She went through the usual routine of empathy -> abuse, and then said she'd try and talk to the next person on shift (I was about to finish mine) and see if they would "be more reasonable".

For the record, do not gently caress with graveyard workers who are just starting their shift. If she thought I was the Bad Cop in this scenario she was very much mistaken.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zenithe posted:

Had some person fill up their vehicle again without having any way to pay for it. Generally I'm sympathetic to these sort of people, as the problem is the system. She went through the usual routine of empathy -> abuse, and then said she'd try and talk to the next person on shift (I was about to finish mine) and see if they would "be more reasonable".

For the record, do not gently caress with graveyard workers who are just starting their shift. If she thought I was the Bad Cop in this scenario she was very much mistaken.

How are you not requiring prepay?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Volmarias posted:

How are you not requiring prepay?

Because the money we make from selling people lovely things in store is more than the money we lose from fuel theft.

:capitalism:

I'm amazed the police haven't just told us to gently caress off and fix our poo poo.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Zenithe posted:

Because the money we make from selling people lovely things in store is more than the money we lose from fuel theft.

:capitalism:

I'm amazed the police haven't just told us to gently caress off and fix our poo poo.

My company has 11 gas stations and to be honest we have maybe $30 of drive offs per week. I guess most people aren't really going to doing a drive off around here.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

My roster has expanded from 35.5 hours per week (the maximum for part time before you start accruing overtime), to a regular rostered 38.5 hours (which is 1hr more than full time non-salaried workers can work before accruing overtime, meaning I am now officially working more hours than my more senior coworker in the same department), and now this week my coworker has called in sick for Wed/Thu so I am starting early on my two late-start days, which means I am working 42.5 hours this week.

Apparently overtime for my department has been approved, and I look forward to making absolutely sure that is true and it gets paid out because gently caress 40 hour weeks all I want to do when I get home is sleep.

Also today they didn't bother covering my shift while I covered my coworker, so I got to do her work and also do my regular work :confuoot:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HazCat posted:

My roster has expanded from 35.5 hours per week (the maximum for part time before you start accruing overtime), to a regular rostered 38.5 hours (which is 1hr more than full time non-salaried workers can work before accruing overtime, meaning I am now officially working more hours than my more senior coworker in the same department), and now this week my coworker has called in sick for Wed/Thu so I am starting early on my two late-start days, which means I am working 42.5 hours this week.

Apparently overtime for my department has been approved, and I look forward to making absolutely sure that is true and it gets paid out because gently caress 40 hour weeks all I want to do when I get home is sleep.

Also today they didn't bother covering my shift while I covered my coworker, so I got to do her work and also do my regular work :confuoot:

Are you in the US? Not to trivialize it, but 40 hours is pretty standard.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Nah I'm in Aus, and the average part time team member contract at my store is 15/wk, and about a third of the team are casuals getting 4-8 hours. There are only 3 non-managers in my store breaking 30, and only another 4 or 5 around 20.

40 won't be bad once I get used to it again tbh, it's more that I hate having my routine hosed around so much.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah and it loving sucks.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I was begging for those kind of hours when I did retail so I guess be thankful and treat yourself to something cool with the little bit of extra cash.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah, I'm lucky to get 35 anymore, which was my average. They're really trying to cut everyone to 24 a week.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Someone approved a bunch of simultaneous vacations in my department, so now first shift is left with 2 part timers opening every day next week without a real third person.
They're the two people capable of doing that, but they still shouldn't have to.
Plus I've closed with non-department people three times in the past 7 days. We give them the easy job, but even so...

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

poo poo, I start freaking if I have less than 30 per week. Company policy actually states I should be getting 40 a week and 5 hours of overtime for my position but my DM flips when anyone gets overtime so thats a no go. :v:

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
For those of you in this thread that are complaining about getting poo poo hours, take it as a sign to GTFO of retail, wish I did. :smith: Even if you're furthering your education, just get out.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
A coworker has a three hour shift because our SM needed a closer that night but she was already too close to overtime to work a full shift :)

Although tbh I wish I could work a shift like that, just once. Come in after its died down for the day and just do closing tasks? Hell yeah

Edit: my only day off this week was yesterday and I'm still scheduled at 36 hours

Pentaghastly fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 28, 2018

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Pentaghastly posted:

Although tbh I wish I could work a shift like that, just once. Come in after its died down for the day and just do closing tasks? Hell yeah

Hah, like that's all your colleagues would leave you with to do.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah short closing shifts sound great in theory but what actually happens is people who are leaving at 6 or whatever don't do jackshit because it's not going to be their problem later.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Oh, just like with long closing shifts.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Coworker leaves for her deployment (lasts a month) this week and all of her hours have been given to the coworker who does nothing but suck up to the manager. If my schedule next week has under 18 hours (I find out tomorrow when I come in) I'm putting in my two weeks and quitting.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So I've got a strain of the flu and an ear infection and my temperature last night was 102. I did go to a clinic and got some antibiotics thankfully. I think the fever broke about midnight because I woke up in cold sweats and chill and could not stop shaking for probably 20 minutes.

But at least my headache was gone after that. I of course called out today. And I'm going to call out tomorrow and Friday too because there's no sense in feeling partially better and going back to work with manual labor when I still need recovery time. At least my boss seems understand because I don't take sick time for no reason and when I do it's because I've been putting off going to the doctor thinking it's just allergies when last time it was bronchitis.

Edit: so I called out today and when I spoke to my boss he said I hoped I feel better but he also really hoped I could come into work on Friday because we had several people on vacation and was going to be really hard if I couldn't come in. It took everything in my power not to snap that I probably had the flu on Tuesday, came to work anyway because I figured I was just not feeling good but not too serious, and worked an entire 8 hour shift with a fever of over a hundred while driving a hundred and sixty miles.

I'm sorry but when one of our other drivers has been on and off for the past 3 months and refused to use FMLA when she had stomach and throat cancer but instead would call out sick for three times a week come back one day and call out for the next week, no room to bitch. It's the flu, it takes more than 2 days to get rid of, especially when I worked for a full 8 hours when I had the flu and a temperature of over a hundred!

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 1, 2018

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I've been trying to cut back on sugar lately because I've realized since working here that I actually do have a huge sweet tooth and that's not ideal. I was confused that my face has been breaking out and graciously accepting a day old doughnut from the pastry case every night doesn't help that at all. I dont even want to know how many calories that thing has. Work isn't that terrible that I have to self medicate with sugar.

Anyway I've been training myself on taking my coffee without any sugar and just a little 2% in the morning. Water is a given at work and iced teas are good unsweetened but sometimes I need a kick. I'm just going to start ordering a doppio with an ice cube and throwing it back before I clock in.

Really makes you hurt when you think about people that order fraps and white mochas with extra whip everyday (nonfat milk pls)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Everyone's wired differently and what works for one person won't work for another, but I had a very similar sweet tooth problem and what worked for me was when I stopped thinking in terms of "should I eat this sugary treat?" (the answer to that question was almost always yes) and started thinking in terms of "is this sugary treat worth the calories and the fact I'm going to feel like crap a half hour after I eat it?" (the answer to that question is much more frequently no).

Sugar in your coffee isn't really a big deal though IMO unless you're taking like 3+ teaspoons per cup or something crazy like that.

(I confess to enjoying white mochas though. Although without any extras.)

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm sorry but when one of our other drivers has been on and off for the past 3 months and refused to use FMLA when she had stomach and throat cancer but instead would call out sick for three times a week come back one day and call out for the next week, no room to bitch. It's the flu, it takes more than 2 days to get rid of, especially when I worked for a full 8 hours when I had the flu and a temperature of over a hundred!

Yeah gently caress that, no way in hell I'd go to work as sick as you are. That's a good way to stay sick for weeks when you could have kicked it in a few days.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 2, 2018

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Pentaghastly posted:

I've been trying to cut back on sugar lately because I've realized since working here that I actually do have a huge sweet tooth and that's not ideal. I was confused that my face has been breaking out and graciously accepting a day old doughnut from the pastry case every night doesn't help that at all. I dont even want to know how many calories that thing has. Work isn't that terrible that I have to self medicate with sugar.

Anyway I've been training myself on taking my coffee without any sugar and just a little 2% in the morning. Water is a given at work and iced teas are good unsweetened but sometimes I need a kick. I'm just going to start ordering a doppio with an ice cube and throwing it back before I clock in.

Really makes you hurt when you think about people that order fraps and white mochas with extra whip everyday (nonfat milk pls)

I stopped buying soda a year ago. Now I drink iced tea or Gatorade. Every now and then when I’m eating out for dinner I’ll have a coke and it shocks me how ridiculously sweet it is. I used to drink two liters of that liquid sugar bomb every day. I feel so much better now.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Preechr posted:

I stopped buying soda a year ago. Now I drink iced tea or Gatorade. Every now and then when I’m eating out for dinner I’ll have a coke and it shocks me how ridiculously sweet it is. I used to drink two liters of that liquid sugar bomb every day. I feel so much better now.

It's a good start, but I'd be cautious in assuming you're out of the woods. Gatorade is still pretty high in sugar contents. Depending on the variety, it's still about 50% of a can of coke. Iced tea, assuming its the sweetened variant, isn't any better.

I cut out soda out a few years back and began to exclusively drink water, tea, and coffee (unsweeted). It's difficult to break from at first, you get mad cravings, but I honestly don't miss it at all. Stay strong! If it helps, you'll probably lose some pounds too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The sad part is I actually do feel a bit better, but I don't think I can handle a full 8 hours of driving tomorrow. And it turns out the boss is actually out of town tomorrow, the assistant manager is on paternity leave, and no one knows who's in charge precisely tomorrow. At least two or three people have the day off for vacation, I'm off sick and there's probably one or two other people that also have the flu.

And I can't imagine the kind of poo poo i would be in if I did go to work tomorrow, and drive, and got into an accident and they did blood work on me to find out I was under the influence of medication and should not have been driving. Oh wait, no I can, I probably go to jail lose my license lose my loving job all because I felt like I had to go in!