Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Habibi posted:

In a room, Chiarelli and Benning sit quietly by the phones on their otherwise immaculate desks, waiting for Benning and Chiarelli to call.

Following the deadline a reporter asked Benning if this team (one that is about to finish bottom 4 for the 3rd straight year) needed some sort of shakeup. His answer was no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/PredsNHL/status/968547771094585344
Fisher is still getting his feet under him.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

This was deleted, what was it?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The 2019 Draft is being held in Vancouver. They get the 9/11 babies.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Duckman2008 posted:

This was deleted, what was it?

Hartnell and Hartman both responding to "Hartsy"

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

glynnenstein posted:

This is actually a good idea that has been floated for a long time. It's known as the Gold plan.

It's actually a bad idea because all that will happen is better teams will get better picks and that'll just create a bigger chasm between the haves and havenots and then we'll just have 8 Dallases and 8 Arizonas and 1/3 of the hockey games every season will be unwatchable

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Australian Football league (which runs a ~28 week season if you include finals) spoke about maybe doing a split season where the first 16-18 rounds would be for spots in the finals and the remainder would be the top 6 jockeying for the top 4 spots, the next 6 jockeying for the final two positions and the bottom 6 playing for the top draft picks. The AFL has a final-8 system where the top 4 can get either a 2nd week bye or a second chance, so the top 6 have something to play for.

It was super confusing and didn't go anywhere.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 27, 2018

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I still feel spited that Toronto wasn't given the draft for the centennial.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Schlesische posted:

The Australian Football league (which runs a ~28 week season if you include finals) spoke about maybe doing a split season where the first 16-18 rounds would be for spots in the finals and the remainder would be the top 6 jockeying for the top 4 spots, the next 6 jockeying for the final two positions and the bottom 6 playing for the top draft picks. The AFL has a final-8 system where the top 4 can get either a 2nd week bye or a second chance, so the top 6 have something to play for.

It was super confusing and didn't go anywhere.
Sounds horrible

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Following the deadline a reporter asked Benning if this team (one that is about to finish bottom 4 for the 3rd straight year) needed some sort of shakeup. His answer was no.

"What we need to do is is just suck for long enough and success will come. Look at Edmonton; they sucked for YEARS. And last year?... Made a stir in the playoffs."

"Edmonton sucks this year though."

"Oh I never look at the standings. It's too distracting"

-Benning during press conference, maybe

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

I'm still hopping mad...mostly at the Gudbranson contract, but the Vanek 'trade' was what made me boil over.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

a false posted:

it's about both, but having a draft lottery is definitely good considering the way that the nhl draft usually lines up (one or two world class, no doubt talents at the top and much more guesswork beyond that). it's good, for example, that while a team can guarantee themselves a high pick, they can't guarantee themselves connor mcdavid

Yeah, exactly. The Leafs look really good, mostly because they have gotten 3 excellent players in 3 consecutive drafts. Sure, they drafted high, and there is a greater likelihood that they will get those great players, but it's not a guarantee.

It's kind of hard to do, and it always appears easy in hindsight.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I never post anymore even though I lurk, but I gotta say: just got included by some guys at work into their Lightning season tickets for next year.

gently caress yeah.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Teemu Pokemon posted:

It's actually a bad idea because all that will happen is better teams will get better picks and that'll just create a bigger chasm between the haves and havenots and then we'll just have 8 Dallases and 8 Arizonas and 1/3 of the hockey games every season will be unwatchable

The idea is that the better bubble teams stay in contention so long by the time they're mathematically eliminated they don't have enough games to earn many points towards the draft.

In practice some evil team, like the Red Wings or Canadiens who in the mid 50s simultaneously and independently invented hockey cheating, would just tank even earlier and break it.

But tanking isn't an issue in the current system that needs to be solved anyway. Only 3 teams have ever tanked, and 2 of those times it didn't even work right. Sure the one success is the Penguins, which history will record as one of man's greatest mistakes, but I think I would trade that for Buffalo having success any time.

People are just mad Edmonton got picks a lot, but that has nothing to do with tanking. They legitimately thought they were building contenders there and are just tremendously bad at their jobs.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'm still hopping mad...mostly at the Gudbranson contract, but the Vanek 'trade' was what made me boil over.

Why would you be mad Clearly Trev "Towel Fluffer" Dog is happy with the direction the team is taking, and the Aqua Man isn't stressed at all. Just lay back and enjoy the ride. Don't forget, you're here forever.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

nature6pk posted:

Why would you be mad Clearly Trev "Towel Fluffer" Dog is happy with the direction the team is taking, and the Aqua Man isn't stressed at all. Just lay back and enjoy the ride. Don't forget, you're here forever.

Right now, I would bandwagon Seattle Microsofters without hesitation.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
They should just let all 32 teams be in the lottery and give less weighting to the bad teams. There is so much parity anyway and Edmonton has shown us all that getting a bunch of number 1’s is no guarantee for success.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

As much as we rag on the Oilers, no team will ever pull off the blunder that was the Bruins 2015 draft.

Hell let's link it because it's an all-time classic
https://twitter.com/thats_offside/status/614591193872084992

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I still want to know why that guy had Kylington ranked so highly.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Aphrodite posted:

I still want to know why that guy had Kylington ranked so highly.

I guess he fell a bunch? Seems like he was ranked high-ish, Central Scouting had him as the #6 Euro http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=142238

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

He was playing in the SHL as a 16 year old, so having two years of pro hockey experience in your draft year as a defenceman is seen as a good.

His ISS ranking dropped from best European though. http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=2&sort=finalRank&year=2015

e; Refresh before you post folks

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I remember being mad when the Leafs passed on Kylington over Dermott.

I know nothing about prospects.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Twin Cinema posted:

I know nothing about prospects.

We know, Mr. Benning

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I'm mildly annoyed with NYR for helping the two teams Toronto will definitely have to go through in the playoffs. Like it wasn't already going to be hard, it just got harder :argh:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

DuhSal posted:

I'm mildly annoyed with NYR for helping the two teams Toronto will definitely have to go through in the playoffs. Like it wasn't already going to be hard, it just got harder :argh:

Shooters shoot.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Slappy Pappy posted:

They should just let all 32 teams be in the lottery and give less weighting to the bad teams. There is so much parity anyway and Edmonton has shown us all that getting a bunch of number 1’s is no guarantee for success.

mods

e: you're not actually a pens fan, perhaps I'm the one on whom the mods should be called

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

quote:

BOS 1st: R. Nash (19) 11:41 R. Nash (11) 19:57

That's not going to be confusing. At least we can guess which is which.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Dear BAS, please hold Rick tight and cherish him.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/NHLBlinn/status/968649371280605184

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
What do they do for the jerseys? Ril Nash, Ric Nash I'm guessing..

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

R. Nash is the better one.

DuhSal posted:

What do they do for the jerseys? Ril Nash, Ric Nash I'm guessing..

They both just got to do "Nash". It's up to the team, there's no requirement.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Rick’s should say “Nashty”

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Devils are gonna make the playoffs and it's really hard to believe. Love u TayTay

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
guys

the devils rule

e: thank you for the avatar

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
look at those beauts

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Aphrodite posted:

R. Nash is the better one.

They both just got to do "Nash". It's up to the team, there's no requirement.

Yeah. When the Flyers had both Schenn brothers they didn't have a first initial.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Speaking of the Devils, Blake Coleman is vying for my favorite Devil as well, that guy is relentlessly hard-working, fast as poo poo, great at anticipating the puck. It's really fun to see the chemistry this team has and how well the young players have developed. Schneider comes back during this road trip and Maroon will play the next game. I'm all in on this being the most likeable Devils teams in a long time - I really liked the 11-12 Cup Final team but not as much as this one.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Devils are gonna make the playoffs and it's really hard to believe. Love u TayTay

Go Tay Tay

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Damnit Pens, damnit Leafs, good job Bruins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Tom Fitzgerald was interviewed before the game and was talking about Johansson as if they did not expect him to play the rest of the season, they're telling him not to rush, he hasn't even hit the ice yet, and I take it the Maroon acquisition was a result of it.

• Locked thread