Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pigbuster posted:

Into The Breach doesn’t have FTL’s endgame issues, if that’s giving you pause. No mandatory obstacles that certain builds can’t deal with.

:yeah:

I just netted myself a win on Normal with the starting squad and it was tough but absolutely doable. No surprise bullshit or random mechanics, just me punching kaiju in the face. I was afraid the FTL guys would manage to pull out a terrible finale just to make sure I couldn't love this game, but nope! It's good.

In fact I'm eager to go try the other squads now - looks like they shake things up a lot and I'm ready to relearn the game over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Was I playing a different game? because there were a bunch of different things you could do versus the boss in FTL

cloaking was always great, but that's just because you could use it at level 1 to have the best effect

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

socialsecurity posted:

Did you expect it to be some sort of infinite hole?

No but I expected it to maybe, like, shut off the poo pumps when they get poo-logged or give me a warning that it's about to overflow other than one of my citizens going "hey uh we need a pumping service" after my city is half buried in loving turd water

e: I know I sound angry but I'm mostly bringing this up because it's one of the actual funniest things that's ever happened to me in a game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Turd Herder posted:

Wow it looks like everyone is Chrono Triggered about this port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtKCt8Afk9s

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone have experience with Sanctus Reach? It popped up on my radar because of the Slitherine sale, and I must have put it on my wishlist at some point. Hope springs eternal that a 40K game will be good, and while this hope is often dashed, I did enjoy Slitherine's 40K: Armageddon game. Can anyone recommend Sanctus Reach?

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Gifts!

GUILTY GEAR XX ACCENT CO?E PLUS R: 3F4A?-LZ8PZ-DCDP7

Skull?irls: 33BP7-DE?60-7YNH?

Rivals o? Aether: 24J73-RB6?6-6V09M

edit: man those bundles are repeting themselves a lot these days.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Iznogood posted:

GUILTY GEAR XX ACCENT CO?E PLUS R: 3F4A?-LZ8PZ-DCDP7

I took this, thanks! I've been in the mood for a silly fighting game.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Alright, after building a couple more pumping truck stations, Cannburg is no longer poo-logged

e: also, grabbed Skullgirls from that list. Thanks!

e2: uh... the grass the poo-water went over looks really strange, will it ever go back to normal?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I hope people are trying out Skullgirls, it's probably my favourite fighting game and I think it's the only one where I can enjoy playing as any character

... Ms. Fortune/Filia/Squigly are the best though

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Knorth posted:

I hope people are trying out Skullgirls, it's probably my favourite fighting game and I think it's the only one where I can enjoy playing as any character

... Ms. Fortune/Filia/Squigly are the best though

I grabbed the key for this exact reason- it's always looked really fun but I've never had the opportunity to grab it. Peacock is pretty much my favorite design in it by a country mile so I'll probably try to learn her first.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I hope you enjoy it. :) I think it gets brought up every time Skullgirls gets mentioned anywhere but it has a terrific tutorial. The 2nd Encore upgrade adds a fair bit to the story modes and challenges and stuff too, and goes on sale pretty regularly

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

into the breach feels good as hell when you think of something clever, and then bad as hell when you realize you've gotten yourself into a completely unwinnable turn like three turns away from beating the final island due to your own bad decisions :smith:

How do you get more pilots, by the way? I got all three of mine killed through dumb mistakes (still figuring the game out) and never found any replacements. I do like how losing a pilot is kind of a mixed bag - you don't get their skills anymore, but you suddenly have a unit you can freely throw into suicide missions.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

resistentialism posted:

Was I playing a different game? because there were a bunch of different things you could do versus the boss in FTL

cloaking was always great, but that's just because you could use it at level 1 to have the best effect

I can manage that boss myself alright, but so many people dislike it that I wanted to mention it. My issue was that cloaking is so effective that I feel silly going for anything else. I went heavily into hacking just for a change one game, only to find that hacking the drone room doesn’t do jack against the drone surge which is duuuuuumb.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

Battletech is up for preorder and releases next month. Looks pretty slick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HereJw4XP4

Are there any other of these turn based mechwarrior games and if so what are they like? this looks cool but I've only really heard of battletech in the context of a mechwarrior game which has apparently been surrounded in a destiny 2-like whirlwind of controversy for as long as it's existed so I don't know what to make of it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Digirat posted:

Are there any other of these turn based mechwarrior games and if so what are they like? this looks cool but I've only really heard of battletech in the context of a mechwarrior game which has apparently been surrounded in a destiny 2-like whirlwind of controversy for as long as it's existed so I don't know what to make of it

MechWarrior Online is a pile of poo poo, and is a controversy magnet specifically because it's a massive outlier in the franchise for being complete poo poo (but also has a lot of ultra-grognards who love it simply because it's Battletech).

Basically, BattleTech started out as a tabletop game (which, from what I understand, this game is a loose adaptation of). To get a general sense of the tabletop game, you can either go look at one of the PBP games run on SA, or you can play MegaMek, which is a lower-rent version of it (sort of like FUMBBL for Blood Bowl).

From this tabletop game begat novels/comics/a cartoon/etc, none of which you need to worry about just yet; the in-depth lore doesn't tend to crop up too much in the video games beyond references, but if you get in a conversation with Battletech grognards they're probably gonna look at you a little funny if you don't know it.

More importantly to you, from this tabletop game begat a metric gently caress-ton of video games. There's the MechWarrior and MechAssault series; the MechWarrior series is a mech sim that pretty much straddles the exact line between arcadey and :spergin: (the easiest way to get into these is MW4: Mercenaries on the PC), whereas the MechAssault series (original Xbox-exclusive) is basically a third-person shooter with BattleMechs. Then you have the BattleTech RPGs from the late 80s, which are an interesting historical piece but not really fun nowadays (interestingly enough they're made by Infocom of all people), MechCommander, which is sort of like the Myth games or real-time Jagged Alliance but with BattleMechs, and MechWarrior 3050 on the Genesis, which is... well, if you've played Brigador it's kind of a proto-Brigador.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Digirat posted:

Well, there's MegaMek which is a free engine for Battletech Tabletop. There's MekHQ, which lets you run campaigns, there's Titans of Steel Warring Suns which is definitely not Battletech guys, and on the real time side there are MechCommander 1 and 2.

The best entries in the MechWarrior series are 2, 2 Mercs, 4 Mercs and MechWarrior Living Legends, a free fangame running through Crysis 1's standalone multiplayer, Crysis Wars.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'd forgotten about the MechCommanders and, wow, neither of them has aged well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

dmboogie posted:

into the breach feels good as hell when you think of something clever, and then bad as hell when you realize you've gotten yourself into a completely unwinnable turn like three turns away from beating the final island due to your own bad decisions :smith:

How do you get more pilots, by the way? I got all three of mine killed through dumb mistakes (still figuring the game out) and never found any replacements. I do like how losing a pilot is kind of a mixed bag - you don't get their skills anymore, but you suddenly have a unit you can freely throw into suicide missions.

Pilots are one of the reward choices for completing an island, I think. I've only just finished the first island so I don't know how random it is

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ghostlight posted:

I'd forgotten about the MechCommanders and, wow, neither of them has aged well.

Disagree, in that I think the first game's graphical style still looks good today and it was still pretty fun when I fired it up a little while ago.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
poo lagoon update: poo lagoons are completely loving unsustainable without constantly babying them and expanding them when they're about to fill up, and the water physics hate you and expanding your poo pit will cause a tidal wave of poo water to splash up over the edges and flood your city

also, the game seems to think this counts as a tsunami, which is loving hilarious

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

poo lagoon update: poo lagoons are completely loving unsustainable without constantly babying them and expanding them when they're about to fill up, and the water physics hate you and expanding your poo pit will cause a tidal wave of water to splash up over the edges and flood your city

I think this is true in real life as well...?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

poo lagoon update: poo lagoons are completely loving unsustainable without constantly babying them and expanding them when they're about to fill up, and the water physics hate you and expanding your poo pit will cause a tidal wave of poo water to splash up over the edges and flood your city

also, the game seems to think this counts as a tsunami, which is loving hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b-zJezKSsY&t=119s

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think this is true in real life as well...?

there's a sewage pond less than a loving block away from me and i'm fairly sure it's not in any danger of devouring the loving city of houston

e: like, this is definitely in bug territory but it's funny enough that i genuinely don't care. like, this is unironically the funniest loving thing that has ever happened to me in C:S.

e2: this has apparently literally never happened in real life before (because the way sewage behaves in C:S is not exactly realistic) and is a very common trick for C:S let's players (because it's beyond loving hilarious)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 28, 2018

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Artelier posted:

me, one hour into swap mode in puyo puyo tetris : wow i am bad at puyo puyo

I'm from the Nohoho school of "pile everything up on one side to the ceiling and let chaos take the wheel." The strategy starts to fall apart if you don't obliterate them early, so you still need some skill to mop up. Also I found this to be downright mesmerizing :okpos:

Orv
May 4, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

there's a sewage pond less than a loving block away from me and i'm fairly sure it's not in any danger of devouring the loving city of houston

How could you tell though?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Pilots are one of the reward choices for completing an island, I think. I've only just finished the first island so I don't know how random it is

sometimes a "Time Pod" will fall from the sky and there are new pilots to unlock if you collect it.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

uber_stoat posted:

sometimes a "Time Pod" will fall from the sky and there are new pilots to unlock if you collect it.

Cool, thanks. I've beaten two islands and collected several Time Pods, so I guess I just haven't been lucky yet. :v:

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

dmboogie posted:

Cool, thanks. I've beaten two islands and collected several Time Pods, so I guess I just haven't been lucky yet. :v:

Outside of getting lucky with time pods, you only get pilots as an option from getting a Perfect Island (succeed at all optional objectives, can still lose grid tho), as opposed to just completing the island.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Into the Breach is really good, but I have no idea how to play Blitzkrieg. Most of the time I just end up killing my own dudes. I also sorta wish there was more enemy variety, but I imagine that's sort of hard to balance without wrecking everything.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
the puyo tetris PC port is kind of glitchy and has a weirdly limited amount of resolution options. As in, none.

The game is playable, but you'll probably hit some weird audio bugs and it might crash out every so often.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I dig the tweet somebody sends in the middle of the poo-pocalypse which has claimed the lives of 100,000+ citizens to sincerely say,"You're doing a great job, mayor!"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Pigbuster posted:

I can manage that boss myself alright, but so many people dislike it that I wanted to mention it. My issue was that cloaking is so effective that I feel silly going for anything else. I went heavily into hacking just for a change one game, only to find that hacking the drone room doesn’t do jack against the drone surge which is duuuuuumb.

I once sent out a drone bomb only to find out that if it ends up in one of the weapon pods there's nothing to kill it so it won't expire so you can't shoot another one. But obviously it magically disappears between phases.

Edit: Skylines' water physics are infamously a bunch of busted nonsense. loving around with terraforming and water stuff literally always leads to disaster because of how unintuitive it all is.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 28, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also this is a better video of sewage craziness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqukrQD9DiY

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

John Murdoch posted:

Edit: Skylines' water physics are infamously a bunch of busted nonsense. loving around with terraforming and water stuff literally always leads to disaster because of how unintuitive it all is.

i would have a problem with this if it wasn't amazing

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its less water and more jelly. Also sentient.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

GrandpaPants posted:

Into the Breach is really good, but I have no idea how to play Blitzkrieg. Most of the time I just end up killing my own dudes. I also sorta wish there was more enemy variety, but I imagine that's sort of hard to balance without wrecking everything.

Blitzkreig is cool but really pretty frustrating at the same time since your grapplebot can often be locked in useless positions so your left with 2 2-dmg dealers and limited push options. Chain is loving great when it works but it sucks it damages your own buildings by default too and I found I did either really well or terrible with them getting locked into positioning where you're going to lose Grid Power badly and lose objectives. Especially noticeable once higher health poo poo rolls.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

No but I expected it to maybe, like, shut off the poo pumps when they get poo-logged or give me a warning that it's about to overflow other than one of my citizens going "hey uh we need a pumping service" after my city is half buried in loving turd water

e: I know I sound angry but I'm mostly bringing this up because it's one of the actual funniest things that's ever happened to me in a game

The poo pumps are your citizens' butts, just fyi.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Looks like 2018 will be a good year for mechs.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Waffle! posted:

I'm from the Nohoho school of "pile everything up on one side to the ceiling and let chaos take the wheel." The strategy starts to fall apart if you don't obliterate them early, so you still need some skill to mop up. Also I found this to be downright mesmerizing :okpos:

Thanks! The Nohoho strat seems to be JAM THE RIGHT SIDE FULL OF PUYOS and once past the halfway line start clearing and you'll probably combo? Looks pretty ridic and doable.

Also that video is mesmerizing.

No bugs on my end yet for Puyotris but there really isn't any graphics options. Fine for most desktops I'm sure, but haven't given it a go on my work laptop with Intel graphics yet.

Been going back and forth between this and Into the Breach, which continues to be amazing, but I haven't gotten lucky with pilots. Wish it had infinite resets for a turn though - I'm having difficulty imagining how it all turns out sometimes, at least now when I'm still new and not used to all the mechanics yet. So I click things then I'm like, oh, I see...and then live with it or reset once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jamfrost posted:

Looks like 2018 will be a good year for mechs.

Sure as hell off to a great start. Looking forward to how the new Battletech pans out, but I have high hopes, those devs know what they do.