Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the current shooting competition champions are bow wow and kevin hart tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/friar_faithful/status/968676015420551168

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
If Danny Green is right you will all remember what it is to fear again. :colbert:
Maybe now that the rockets have chris Paul they'll manage to finally choke their elimination game against the Kawhi Spurs instead of the Kawhi-less Spurs like last year
Does Kawhi need an entire season of play to dominate the warriors in the post season again or will looking at Zaza's face be enough

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

That was an Airball :colbert:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Metapod posted:

Talent was there but he was extremely passive at Texas

Yeah hed be obviously the only NBA athlete on the court and embarrass guys a few plays, then by the end of the game he’s have been solidly outplayed by dudes who would be lucky to be hustle players in China

It’s always a crapshoot though cause judging an 18 year old boy on anything is absurd so

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

Cavs.

They'd still have all their bad players

Unless you are talking pre Kyrie trade.

Cavs without LeBron with IT hurt, shump and co would be baaaaad.

I mean even then we've seen what the Cavs look like without LeBron but with Kyrie and it was "team that got the number one pick every year"

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
https://streamable.com/pv7fv

Wade should know from experience that the refs don't let you bitch out and throw the ball at the backboard when you're about to get your poo poo pushed back into your face. Good call imo.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Ghost Dog posted:

in the knights of lebron charter mvp is defined as "lebron james"

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Really? I liked him a lot. He was not refined but he was so intense. In a world of low effort no-care bigs I figured he at least had a shot.

There was also the fact that he was a texas big man who was underperforming relative to expectations, that's a good NBA pedigree

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Someone make the Knights of Lebron gang tag and give it to me

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Spo getting super salty for a missed call late in the first quarter of a 19-17 game. Probably just felt that Wade really needed that.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a mental thing going on with Lonzo because it's rare to see that big of a dropoff in shooting between playing for a major conference NCAA team and the NBA. He's a full 20% worse from the field, 10% from three, and 15% or so from the line.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It is not that weird that his goofy slow shot is harder to get off in the pros than in college, and even guys who wind up being really good usually suck as rookies. There are also gonna be sample size issues with one and done guys

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 28, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a mental thing going on with Lonzo because it's rare to see that big of a dropoff in shooting between playing for a major conference NCAA team and the NBA. He's a full 20% worse from the field, 10% from three, and 15% or so from the line.

He's been shooting 38.3% from 3pt since December 1st. Lots of rookies go through an adjustment getting used to the NBA schedule and defense, for some reason Lonzo has been expected to be way more NBA ready than anyone reasonably should have expected.

He's shooting better from 3pt land than Brandon Ingram was last year, despite both being 19 year old #2 picks.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
All Rookies Are Bad Except Donovan Mitchell

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

All Rookies Are Bad Except Donovan Mitchell

:emptyquote: forever

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

Someone make the Knights of Lebron gang tag and give it to me

Same

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

He's been shooting 38.3% from 3pt since December 1st. Lots of rookies go through an adjustment getting used to the NBA schedule and defense, for some reason Lonzo has been expected to be way more NBA ready than anyone reasonably should have expected.

He's shooting better from 3pt land than Brandon Ingram was last year, despite both being 19 year old #2 picks.

*insert screed about how bad his pick and roll offense is, and how he's a bust and can never get better*

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
decided to check in on buddy he's had a good february

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You cannot be a true Knight of LeBron unless you were riding for him right after The Decision

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Metapod posted:

decided to check in on buddy he's had a good february

We talking about the Skills Competition?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

We talking about the Skills Competition?

in shooting the ball

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Crazy Ted posted:

I didn't know you could spell "wack rear end shooting form against all good players" like "mental" but good to know

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dexo posted:

*insert screed about how bad his pick and roll offense is, and how he's a bust and can never get better*

Anyone can get better. But players who suck usually don’t

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

MourningView posted:

You cannot be a true Knight of LeBron unless you were riding for him right after The Decision

I dunno about that. Gonna have to write my theses if this is where the brotherhood is headed.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

MourningView posted:

reporting for duty

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
What if you thought the move to Miami was cool and good but that "The Decision" was retarded?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I didn't know you could spell "wack rear end shooting form against all good players" like "mental" but good to know
He's got a goofy-rear end shooting form, but still you don't frequently see guys drop off quite that much even as they're transitioning to NBA basketball.

He should be just fine in time, but it's an interesting half-season thing to look at. It's not like he's Michael Carter Williams or something.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Crazy Ted posted:

He's got a goofy-rear end shooting form, but still you don't frequently see guys drop off quite that much even as they're transitioning to NBA basketball.

He should be just fine in time, but it's an interesting half-season thing to look at. It's not like he's Michael Carter Williams or something.

Brandon Ingram went from a 41% college 3pt shooter to a 29% NBA rookie season.
Durant went from a 40+% shooter in college to 28% his rookie year
Ben Simmons shot a mediocre 33% from the college line, and has yet to hit an NBA 3
Tyus Jones was a 38% college shooter and shot 30% in the pros as a rookie, and then recovered.
Kris Dunn went from 37% to 28% and is very slowly recovering
Josh Jackson went from a 37% shooter to 26% this year, and he was selected 2 spots behind Lonzo

It's way more common than people think. Adjustment to the NBA is a real thing. For some guys its fast, but even HoF players have taken a year or two to get used to getting their shot off.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lockback posted:

Brandon Ingram went from a 41% college 3pt shooter to a 29% NBA rookie season.
Durant went from a 40+% shooter in college to 28% his rookie year
Ben Simmons shot a mediocre 33% from the college line, and has yet to hit an NBA 3
Tyus Jones was a 38% college shooter and shot 30% in the pros as a rookie, and then recovered.
Kris Dunn went from 37% to 28% and is very slowly recovering
Josh Jackson went from a 37% shooter to 26% this year, and he was selected 2 spots behind Lonzo

It's way more common than people think. Adjustment to the NBA is a real thing. For some guys its fast, but even HoF players have taken a year or two to get used to getting their shot off.

Btw, Brandon Ingram is shooting 38% from three this season, and 44% since the new year.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
According to David Griffin, Danny Ainge always has a 'typologist' ie a human personality test person/quack as part of the front office. If any other teams want to hire a guy to tell you what a person's personality is and how they'll interact with other personalities, I'm available for 6 figures.

Like Shabazz Napier throwing up stupid shots that make Ed Davis have to contort and slam his body to grab a rebound makes Ed Davis unhappy. It also made Zach Collins unhappy, although he responded more by withdrawing than by grimacing and playing a bit less hard on defense. Shabazz Napier's type is -Bigman Annoyance Guard

I was pro Lebron after the Decision, but it was because the backlash was the stupidest and most immature thing I'd ever seen in sports. I don't really enjoy watching him because his slow it down, use inhuman strength to throw a guy out of position and then either turn and score or kick the ball out-style, is not much fun. He's much better in highlights than in the flow of the game.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 28, 2018

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

According to David Griffin, Danny Ainge always has a 'typologist' ie a human personality test person/quack as part of the front office.
I thought this was a well-known quirk of Ainge?

quote:

I was pro Lebron after the Decision, but it was because the backlash was the stupidest and most immature thing I'd ever seen in sports.
I will always be of the opinion that The Decision wouldn't have been a tenth as poorly received if it wasn't hosted by Jim loving Gray.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 28, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Btw, Brandon Ingram is shooting 38% from three this season, and 44% since the new year.

Yeah, he's been pretty good. He's improved his ability to score pretty much everywhere and his shot selection is much better. If he keeps improving I could see him being a star-type scorer.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I don't really enjoy watching him because his slow it down, use inhuman strength to throw a guy out of position and then either turn and score or kick the ball out-style, is not much fun. He's much better in highlights than in the flow of the game.

I think this is pretty defensible with the caveat that in playoff basketball his game is to be enjoyed on another plane entirely.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Crazy Ted posted:

I will always be of the opinion that The Decision wouldn't have been a tenth as poorly received if it wasn't hosted by Jim loving Gray.

Not everybody knows everything, Crazy Ted

Lockback posted:

Yeah, he's been pretty good. He's improved his ability to score pretty much everywhere and his shot selection is much better. If he keeps improving I could see him being a star-type scorer.

I think this is pretty defensible with the caveat that in playoff basketball his game is to be enjoyed on another plane entirely.

I will agree wholeheartedly, he becomes a combination of Blake Griffin and James Harden, with some of the best passing in NBA history, and crushes 2-4 on defense, while suddenly making his teammates excited to play and happy to dive for loose balls because they see him going all out, after loafing and resting for 70% of the season. Insanely frustrating to watch as a fan of the team he's playing against. The Pistons had statistically the very best defender against Lebron, in Marcus Morris, and then several more same size strong wings to throw on him. Morris did a good job of containing Lebron with the ball, of following him around the screen, but aside from "will never ever ever be called" offensive fouls, it just didn't matter, because of his perfect passes to open shooters or a little whip pass to a big hopping at the rim.

The Celtics have a chance against the Cavs if Morris is healthy, Jaylen Brown can back him up, Tatum doesn't wilt, and all three of those guys hit shots. Lebron has historically slaughtered Al Horford in the playoffs, albeit with bad injury luck as a caveat.

The trades took away Toronto's one advantage over the cavs, malleability. The Cavs can play several lineups and if they sign a solid defensive C after buyout season, it gets worse. They have OG Anuboby and no one else who's big and strong to stick on Lebron. If Ibaka is helping from the weak side, maybe that's something, but they'd really have to rely on outscoring the cavs.

As for the specifics of their offenses against the new cavs defense, I'll need to watch the rest of the season to really get a feel.

Crazy Ted posted:

Jim Gray is universally despised and a fake journalist. You may be right. We can go back in time and announce that three friends have decided they want to play basketball and win a championship together, their agents could have dropped hints so that it wasn't seen as a betrayal, boom ESPN is saved from becoming Takes Takes Takes R Us and wouldn't be in such a psychic freefall. They'd be showing dirt track midget racing, sumo, boxing, jet boat river racing, live from thailand muay thai matches, and edge NFL matchup esque shows fo r all the sports. Sports fans would be wiser, more well rounded, and not jukeboxes of pro take havers soundbites. I think you should build this time machine.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 28, 2018

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I was out of town for The Decision but I remember listening to Le Batard show podcasts and thinking it was so loving badass that he joined up with Wade and Bosh and that they were going to win 5 rings while getting a fan to play PG.

It's been pretty easy to be pro Lebron over the years because taking the other side immediately makes you bedfellows with some of the worst people in media.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

BWV posted:

I was out of town for The Decision but I remember listening to Le Batard show podcasts and thinking it was so loving badass that he joined up with Wade and Bosh and that they were going to win 5 rings while getting a fan to play PG.

It's been pretty easy to be pro Lebron over the years because taking the other side immediately makes you bedfellows with some of the worst people in media.

It was pretty badass we were losing our franchise player to the city equivalent of a used car salesman on cocaine?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I was 14 when the Decision happened and I didn't really like basketball at the time so I was just out here parroting hot takes about how LeBron was a villain and such. I remember it was announced when I landed at JFK after an international trip and the whole plane was mad because LeBron didn't sign with the Knicks

in retrospect the Decision owns because it was one of the most misguided attempts at cashing in on free agency madness before the advent of Twitter as a major social media platform but it ended up not mattering much for LeBron's own narrative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I made peace with Bosh leaving much earlier that season and it was easier to stomach him going to win rings than leaving to a team on par with the Raps. I don't blame him for leaving and I was happy to see him succeed because he was always a good quirky dude.

There is only one dispicble free agent signing (not involving a blind guy ) in NBA history and we all know what it is.

• Locked thread