Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I'm helping!

Excited to see where this'll go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Promise me.
I’ll be waiting.
Waiting, believing that you’ll return.
I’ll be waiting...

BGM: Delphinas

You take care out there.
Don’t eat anything funny and get yourself sick, got it?
I’ll be fine. I’m a tough one.
The more overconfident you are, the more you’ll push yourself and risk getting hurt.
]Make sure you drink lots and lots of water, okay? Take care not to get heatstroke or sunstroke, okay?
You worry too much. Relax, I know how to take care of myself on a ship.
I know, but... you never know what might happen.
I want you to be in good health when I see you again...
...I will be.
Though I’ll probably keep you waiting for a long time again...
I’ll be waiting.
Don’t worry about me. I’ll be waiting, I promise. I managed to wait a year and a half already, so I can handle this.
Come back, okay?
... You have my word.
Thanks. Safe travels.

I have to find proof that somewhere out there, he’s still alive and well. I have to find him. I have to prove it...

BGM: Skia Oura

Though I dearly wish I could assist you in your search... I have things to attend to during our stay.
No, don’t worry yourself. I couldn’t possibly impose on you any further.
Madam... Pauline, you mustn’t put yourself in danger. Should anything happen to you, your mother would be devastated...

I wonder if Mom’s mad... No, she’s probably sad. Her sorrow as expansive as the Albufera wetlands, as deep as the ocean into which the sun sets. And it’s all my fault. But...

Don’t worry, I’ll be fine! As soon as I have certainty of his well-being, I’ll go straight home.
Me and him, together.
Pauline... your lover is —
I have faith in him. He would never break a promise to me.
He’s always come back to me, no matter how long it took. A man like that wouldn’t just suddenly disappear on me.
There’s been a mistake, and I have to prove it.

I have to be the one to do it, because he’ll remain gone unless I see it with my own eyes.

What?
Nothing... An acquaintance of mine lives in this village. I shall be staying with him.
I’ll let him know about you. He should gladly welcome you into his home.
Thank you, Orlando. You’ve been such a big help.
Pauline.
...?
One month. You search for one month, and if you haven’t found him... you come home with me.
Will you promise me that?
You are her only daughter.
...Okay.
Good.
To tell you the truth, I regret bringing you with me. What I should have done is dragged you back home.
But I couldn’t bear to see you like that, Pauline.
It was like I was looking at her, when she was younger.
Orlando...
Anyway, one month. Understood?
Yes. Don’t worry, a month will be plenty. I will find him before the month is up.

Now, though, it’s like there’s a fog hanging over everything. That’s not too surprising, I suppose. A few months ago, the village was part of a war for control of the country, and they’re now under a different rule than before. Stripped of their independence and battered by the raging tempest of war... the people’s spirits had been eroded. And spiritual damage is not so easily mended. Even if they were not physically harmed, there are deep wounds in their hearts.

It’s a lovely village, though.
The breeze feels different than it does back home.

Beneath it all, I’m sure the people are actually quite friendly and cheerful. A long, long time ago, I went on a trip to a land in the south. This country is quite a bit south of mine too. People blessed with lots of sunlight are bound to be warm at their core.

Say, Orlando.
Yes?
May I take a look around the village?
I don’t see why not. The sun’s still up.
I’ll need some time to catch up with my acquaintance, so I suppose this is as good an opportunity as any. Do you know where to find me, Madam?
Yes. You go down that way, turn at the second crossroad, follow it straight for a little, cross over to the other side, and it’s right there! Right?
...Are you sure you can find it?
Don’t worry!
A-All right, then. You’re planning to stay within the village today, right? I’ll see you in a little bit, then. If you get lost, give me a holler.
Hehe. As much as you may insist otherwise, you really do care, Orlando.
I feel bad enough as it is. Please don’t take advantage of me.
I think I might take full advantage of this. Thanks! See you in a bit!

What’s he doing out here all alone, I wonder?
(There’s no one else around... I wonder if something happened. Would it seem odd if I tried talking to him?)
(Wouldn’t want to get labeled as suspicious on my first day here... That’s asking for trouble. But...)

The boy stands all alone on the shore, looking somehow precarious. As though a breeze might whisk him away into a million grains of sand, and if I look away, he won’t be there when I turn back. That’s how the boy appears to me.

Hmmmm. You never know until you try!
(Besides, it’s important for me to communicate with the natives! I’ve got to build trust with the people of this village.)
Let’s go!
Good afternoon! What are you doing out here all alone, little man?

Ah...

By force of habit, I spoke in my native tongue. How dense can you be, Pauline? You may have just been talking to Orlando, but that’s no excuse! This isn’t your homeland! But everything’s all right. I studied the language, so I should be able to hold a simple conversation!

Um... you don’t need to be afraid of me.
My name is Pauline. I’ll be staying in your village for a while. Nice to meet you.
U-Um? Do you not understand me?
Um, uh, uhhh...
MY NAME IS PAULINE!
WHAT IS YOUR NAME, LITTLE MAN?

BGM: Comical

Wh — Whaaaaaaaat?!
(H-He! He just called me dreadful!)
That’s one hell of an accent you’ve got. Who are you? A bandit? What are you here for?
N-N-N-N-N-No! I-I’m not a danbit, I promise!
(I-I stammered!)
Atrocious.
Th-There’s no need to be so mean! I put in a pretty good effort, I thought! You could at least compliment me instead!
Godawful.
Th-That’s not nice!
What’s a foreigner doing in this remote corner of the world? Sightseeing our little village? Sure got a lot of time on your hands.
I-I do not! I’m very busy! You’re a little obnoxious, aren’t you?!
You’re supposed to treat your elders with RE-SPECT, y’know?!
Like I give a drat, lady. You’re older, but you’re acting way more like a kid than me.
My name isn’t “lady,” it’s Pauline! PAAAAUL-IIIINE!
...And? What are you here for?
(Completely ignored!)

There are rumors that he was last seen around here...
Have you, by chance, seen any other foreigners around?
Hell if I know.
(Nnnh. He just won’t let me in.)
(I-I’ve got to befriend him first. Of course he’s going to be guarded if I just start throwing questions at him!)
A-All right... so you haven’t seen him.
Then why don’t you tell me about yourself? What are you doing out here?
Is that any of your business, lady?
A boy’s out here on the beach all alone. Wouldn’t that make you curious?
Don’t you have any friends?
(Maybe he’s one of those kids who doesn’t have any?)
Say, if you don’t mind, could we be friends?
I’m not really familiar with the area, so it’d be nice to have someone with me!
What do you say?

H-How are you so jaded?!
You need to be more courteous! Kinder to others! Not so antagonistic!
I just thought it would be nice if we could talk a bit... That’s all I want, really.
How about you quit being so drat nosy, lady? It just so happens I like being alone.
Uggggh, I’ve got some strange woman ruining my alone time. I’m outta here.
H-Hey! W-Wait a second!
Ahhh... he’s gone...
This is... This is...

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 25, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

PetraCore posted:

No, I don't think he's a good guy when he's killed so many people for the pure enjoyment of it. But he's trying to be better, which matters.

As I said, going through some poo poo. The bloodlust appears to be the abnormal behaviour rather than his good side. He's simply been trapped in the mindset of kill or be killed, and after a while forgot the 'be killed' part is a factor.

E: Ok, this one knows comedy as well. :allears:

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 25, 2018

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

In the Perils of Pauline, our heroine discovers not all street urchins are winsome charmers needing a chance.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Still trying to figure out where this is, so I can get situated. Pauline mentions Albufera, which means Valencia, which means Spain, so it's safe to assume that both she and her merchant friend are from eastern Spain, and and that he got to the mansions location by boat. Well... since we've just seen the mansion in the forest and it's apparently way out there, that doesn't really narrow it down much: could be France, could be Italy...could even be farther, depending on how far the merchant sailed, but Ye Olde Uncouthe Milksoppe seems a bit pale and non swarthy to be Greek, middle eastern or African. This isn't really important, I just want to pin down if the mansion really moves. (Which it probably does,
given that I'm speaking of southern Europe whereas the last place was in London. To go all the way to Britain or beyond is technically possible but probably unlikely, unless when the Merchant said sailing, he meant sailing.)

Speaking of which, unfortunate as Pauline seems, she's still really lucky that the kid was just rude to her and didn't, you know, pull a knife on her and whistle his pals out of the trees. Which leads me to wonder why Orlando left a lady travelling all alone in a strange place with nothing on her... but I should probably stop expecting good common sense, as most literature is not really about following the rules, but deliberately breaking them, making honest mistakes, or just making the best out of a bad situation.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Mogera

Ahh, you’ve returned to me. You suddenly started staring off into the distance. I was quite startled. Now, let us continue our tale.

The mansion’s corridor was a horrifically repulsive mess. Splatters of fresh beast blood covered the walls, and there was a repugnant odor. Anyone would be compelled to avert their eyes at the sight.

What... happened here...?
I am grateful... that you cannot see...
because you would certainly think me a beast... if you were able to see this...
Because you cannot see... you do not know what I look like...
But I know...
Another beast, like me, broke into the mansion...
Was it —
I protected you! Did I not?! I protected you!
Say that I protected you! That I did this for you!

In his hysteria, Bestia tore down the curtains hanging on the hallway window. Bloodstained curtains that reeked of dead beast.

I — I — !

What did he have to be so afraid of, though? He had exterminated the other beast encroaching upon his territory. I would understand if he had puffed his chest in pride, but far from that, his terror merely intensified.

Calm down.

The White-Haired Girl extended her hand for Bestia, but even her gentle, lovingly outstretched fingers evoked fear in his eyes. Instinctively, he feared anything that entered his territory — and then attempted to remove it. And driven by those instincts, he shoved aside the White-Haired Girl — the one he had said he wanted to protect.

Ah...!

Being without sight, she had no way of reliably catching her balance, and she fell to the floor with a splash. For she had landed in the pool of blood left by the beast. Red seeped into her clothing, slowly spreading through the fabric. At first, it looked like she had fallen into a puddle of fresh, bright dye, but before long, the red darkened into a brownish-black.

It’s okay. I’m fine.
Mnh... nnnnnnnrh...

She embraced the panicking beast, softly whispering “shh, shh” as if trying to calm a crying baby. Though Bestia was taller and physically stronger, the White-Haired Girl was, emotionally, more stable than he.

What has you so frightened?
Please, tell me. I promise I will not look down on you, for any reason.
Mmnnnhhh...
All I want... is to free you from the depths of your suffering.
Sometimes, talking about things... can lighten the burden they place on you.
We have the ability to use words, both you and me.
With language, the gift God bestowed upon man... we can communicate our feelings with one another.
It’s all right. Don’t be afraid. Talk to me, please.

You act... as though I am a man. No, you treat me like one.
I cannot see you as anything else, as I have said before.
Only because you cannot see me!
You are the only one... who says I am a man.
You, who are without sight...
But I... I was content with that.
You treated me like a man, so I felt as though I had become one.
The time I spent with you, I had real peace.
I almost... I almost forgot that I was a wretched beast. I no longer sought after prey.
Prey... Oh, yes.
Before you arrived, I murdered dozens of humans. I didn’t want you to know that I was such a sinful creature, leaving a long trail of bodies in my wake.
But I thought...
I thought that if I didn’t show them my strength, if I didn’t force them into submission, then I would never find peace!
I was drunk with power. I took great pleasure in it...
In slaughtering people.
The fear was so overwhelming... that you turned the act of killing into one of gratification.
You did it to protect yourself.
Are you still not going to condemn me?
Taking another’s life is wrong.
Not only does it rob them of their time on this earth, it inflicts great wounds upon those who care about them.
However... I do not regard you as a mere beast, nor as a mere murderer.
Something made you the way you are. I am almost certain of it.
Something...?
Tell me about yourself. In your words, from your mouth, tell me.

I couldn’t think clearly, or even remember much of anything... I was thirsty, hungry, sore from head to toe.
A crowd of people surrounded me.
You...
This was a long time ago.
Well, not so long as to be described as “long ago,” but it is as far back as my past goes.
I sought help from the people around me.
But my words did not get through to them. The only thing that came from my mouth were feral howls.
They scowled at me, and then —

I have no interest in any more trouble.
Shall we kill it?
Never seen anyone like this before.
What is he, anyway?
Beats me. A bestia, by the looks of it.
Bestia!
Bestia!
Bestia!
Bestia!

All I could pick out was the word “bestia.”
The humans brought sticks and fishing poles, with which they poked and prodded me.
At first, they probably meant only to chase me out.
But before long... their actions began to escalate.

Bestia!
Filthy beast!
We ain’t got nothin’ for you!
Dirty, nasty thing!
Stay back!
Hit it! Pound it!
Dahahaha! He’s feelin’ it!
Beat it! Beat the thing!
Kill it! Kill it!
Kill it, kill it, kill it!

I was simply asking for help.
If they didn’t have food to spare, a glass of water would have been enough.
I asked for nothing of them but some relief from my thirst.
But the humans would not hear my pleas. My words reached no one’s ears.
When they brought weapons and started chasing me around, attempting to kill me, all I could do anymore was run.
And as I fled, I saw something —
a child pointing to a wild dog covered in mud and shouting “bestia!”
That was when I finally understood...
that I was a beast.
And that was why the humans wanted to exterminate me.

I was neither cattle, nor swine, nor fowl of the air, but a vicious beast — the kind of creature that ravaged their fields.
And so...
You sought... to prove your superiority to them...
so you would never have to be called a beast or chased out of somewhere again.
I was so close... to forgetting it all.
The time I spent with you was truly wonderful.
I could forget about people calling me a beast, chasing me around and trying to kill me...
I could forget about slaughtering them, painting the walls with their blood...
I could forget about everything... It felt like I had actually become a man.
But you...
But then it showed up.
Another beast, like me. It was... my kin.
A different individual, though, built differently than me. I am taller than it was.
But it was a beast...
And I too... must be a beast...
Regardless, I will continue to insist you are not, as many times as I must.
Should you be troubled by these painful memories and attempt to cause someone harm again, I will be there to remind you of your humanity.

I cannot see you, that is correct. But I can feel you, sense you, hear you, and I can learn what you bear within your heart.
You worry, you fear, and you think. And you also show concern for me.
These things all prove that you are human.
... Ahhh...
(This woman... She really is going to change me.)
(If I remain with her... I can become a man.)
(It might be no more than an illusion...)
(but with her near, it can become my reality.)
Have you calmed yourself down some?
... The hall... needs to be cleaned.
...So it does.
I’ll take care of it. You don’t need to worry. You should get changed, though.
Very well.
I believe I care so much for you —
...?
— because you resemble me.
We are not alike in the slightest. As I’ve said... you are a beautiful woman.
You may compliment my appearance...
but no one else ever did.

My eyes... they’re red.
A beautiful shade of red, indeed.
(A magnificent color, like blood.)
You’re the first person, hehe, to say that about them.
Even my mother said my eyes frightened her.
Because people called me a witch, I was rarely afforded the opportunity to interact with others, so I grew up mostly alone.
As the people outside this mansion called you a beast...
so too do the people outside call me a witch.
See? We are alike.
Do I look like a witch to you?
No... You...
You are a beautiful, compassionate human woman.
And you... are a human man, even if you don’t believe it yourself.

For, while he had just managed to put on a smile, tears were also rolling down his cheeks. Joy, bitterness, sorrow — a maelstrom of emotions flowed unbounded from within. But he cried in silence. Bestia shed his tears discreetly, so as to not allow the White-Haired Girl to notice.

He looked down upon the floor. A single corpse lay there. And no matter how hard he tried, he could not see it as anything other than a beast. A beast that looked just like him.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ProfessorProf posted:

Promise me.
I’ll be waiting.
Waiting, believing that you’ll return.
I’ll be waiting...

ProfessorProf posted:

...You said you were in need of sustenance?
Y-Yes... It doesn’t have to be much. Anything to quench this thirst...
I got lost, and it’s been several days...
Give me a few minutes, I will find —

---------------------------------------------------------------------

N-Noooo... Please, stop this! Don’t kill me! My beloved is waiting for me back home!
I can’t l-leave her behind!

Eyyy Pauline I hope you're not super banking on getting good news here :whitewater:

EDIT: Now that I look closer, the merchant being killed is wearing very different clothes than Pauline's boyfriend, so it doesn't seem to be the same guy. Why did he crop up in that one picture then? :confused:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 26, 2018

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

This track... I like it a lot. The entire soundtrack so far has been nicely atmospheric, but I have a fondness for the tone this sets, with the whispering that echo and that you almost think you can understand, combined with minor chords and other auditory stings, some of which sound almost human... Interesting that this track should be used during a scene that is apparently one of comfort, in which two outsiders who have slipped through the societal net find solidarity in each others unjust suffering, because it lends an undertone that seems to clash. A commentary on how this comfort is rendered hollow by Bestia's previous actions (White-Haired condones it here, but there's killing and there's killing- defending yourself from an assailant vs. literally tearing that assailant to pieces- and Bestia is far on this latter side and is right to be horrified by it), or a subtle indicator that the White Haired Girl isn't quite who she pretends? I mean, if you fall into a pool of viscera, even if you're blind, there's no way you can mistake it by touch or smell, and she seems a hell of a lot more okay with it than I would be, and this might be interpreted as the saintly forgiveness that Bestia sees... but that's not the only interpretation. She could be super empathetic, or not that empathetic at all, either through not understanding what happened (or caring to), or because there's a lot more red in her ledger than she pretends.

I guess we'll see, wont we?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

There was never any guarantee
that we would see each other again.
But I still believed
that no matter how great the ocean that divided us
we were bound by our love.
The only thing that needed stand between us
was physical distance.

I-I wonder if he’s here yet.
Um...
Hello, my little nijntje. What has you so out of breath?
Eeeek!

I never took you for someone so pretentious!
Haha... I’m sorry. You just looked so much like a rabbit there, the way you were tossing your head back and forth, looking around for me.
Oh, you...
“Nijntje” is something you call a child.
I’m not a little girl anymore.
I’m sorry, really. Don’t be so mad, Pauline.
...Hehe.
I’m not mad at all.
It’s... It’s been a year and a half! We finally get to see each other again!
That we do.
Did you have any trouble out at sea? Did you fall ill, or get caught in a storm, or run into any kind of danger at all?
No, there was no trouble. Everything went fine, without incident. The sea god was watching over us, I suppose.
Thank goodness. I was so worried.
But you kept your promise. You came back for me.
And you kept yours and waited for me.
Of course I did. I trust you, and... I don’t mind waiting.
Even so... eighteen months must have been a long time for you.
It was.
It felt long to me as well. Every day I would picture your face, recall the sound of your voice.
But over time, I began to lose surety. It absolutely terrified me.
Is that what you actually looked like? Is this truly the sound of your voice?
You mean you almost forgot?
Not at all, Pauline.

That perhaps my adoration had grown so strong it had turned you into a transcendent beauty like Cleopatra herself.
Y-You must have made some unseemly friends. You were never this much of a sweet-talker!
I bet you’re disappointed, though. Look at me, a homely woman you could find anywhere.
Haha. For some reason, I find myself in a teasing mood. Please have mercy, or I am liable to lose your affection.
What I’m trying to say...
is that being here with the real you, putting my hands in yours, listening to you speak, and seeing you be... well, you, Pauline...
is so much more wondrous than anything I imagined.
And right now, I am feeling that stronger than ever.
Ah... mnh, u-umm.
Y-You seem to have found yourself a way with words. I imagine you had plenty of time to practice on other women. Goodness, you fiend.
“Fiend”? That’s not terribly convincing with your cheeks the color of wine.
Th-They are not! God!
H-Hey now, don’t throw a fit...
You’re the only one... who can put me in such high spirits with a few simple words...
Huh? Did you say something?
Who, me? Noooo, not a thiiiing. Hehe. Say, since you’re finally back, how about we take a walk around town?
You’ve taken care of all your work for the time being, right? So you can... spare some time for me?
Absolutely, Pauline. As much as time allows, I will spend it with you.
As much... as time allows.

It’s been a week, and I’ve found nothing. Considering my time limit, that needs to change fast. But...

Sorry, never seen him.
Even the smallest piece of information helps. If you’ve heard about anyone who might have seen him —
I said I haven’t seen him, so I don’t know what to tell you. I’m a busy woman. Would you mind moving aside?
Ah... Sorry.

I was told that he — that my lover lost his life out on work. But I don’t believe it. They haven’t shown me a body, so their information has to be in error. I have to be the one to find him, to prove he’s still alive. I have to follow his tracks. I’ve heard word that remnants of his ship drifted ashore near this village. So if he survived, he must be somewhere nearby. I’m certain of it, but I haven’t been able to find any information of the sort.

The villagers aren’t being very cooperative; they’re all just as reserved as the day I arrived. Rather, I get the feeling they want to stay as far away from trouble as they can. No matter what I ask, I can’t get a straight answer from anyone.

Everyone’s still closed off... because of the war, I guess.
(I don’t have time for people to be glum, though...)

(It’s that boy. He’s at the shore again.)
(Always alone...)
God have mercy, you again? What are you doing here?
(And always so callous.)
I came to get sentimental and watch the sun set.
So original.
What does it matter if I visit the seashore? The ocean doesn’t belong to anyone.
If I’m such a bother, then you’re free to leave like last time.
You sure are cheeky for an outsider.
I know the rest of the village isn’t being all that cooperative.
Nope...
That’s what this place is like now — closed off. It is not kind to outsiders.
You really going to be able to keep up the search with the entire town stonewalling you?
Yes, I will. I won’t give up, for any reason. I have to find him, to bring him home with me.
Lady, your —
My name isn’t “lady,” it’s Pauline. Paul-ine.
Lady, is —
Pauline.
Tch.
Pauline, is this person you’re looking for still alive?
He is. He has to be.
Is that so? Well, have fun with that. I doubt you’re going to get any help, though.

(He really left.)
Don’t lose heart, Pauline.
If you lose faith this easily, you’ll never find him.
(He is alive... isn’t he?)
(He is alive...)
(I have faith.)
(I believe...)

Oh... I thought you left.
Take it. You’re ruining the scenery pacing around on the beach.
Is this... an orange? They grow pretty large here, huh?
Yeah, the oranges around these parts are pretty good. People used to come out here just to buy them, in fact.
And you went to get one just for me?
I just want to get rid of you. Once you’ve finished that, get lost, all right?
Hehe...
Thanks, I appreciate it! You’re not so bad after all!
Like I said... this isn’t me being nice or anything.
Oh, there you go again.
Yeah, yeah, I’ve got you aaaall figured out, little man. You’re actually a very sweet boy!
And you were really trying to cheer me up, weren’t you?
Javi.
What?
My name. It’s not “little man,” it’s Javi.
All right, then. Javier it is.
No, not Javier. Just Javi.
(I don’t see what the big deal is, but okay.)
Say, Javi, I really think we should be friends.
What?
C’mon, let’s be friends. Don’t say you don’t need any.
You can make me Friend Number One!
We’ll have lots of fun.
You just want to use me in your search, because you can’t get the villagers to talk on your own.
No, I mean it, really...

Trouble? What do you mean by that, Javi?
Nothin’ you need to know, lady. Bye. And stay away from the shore.
Ah, hold — Hold on a second!
... What?
Pauline.
Whaa?
My name isn’t “lady,” it’s Pauline.
Listen to me, Javi. I have no intention whatsoever of using you.
I enjoy talking to you, and I think it’d be fun if I could do it more.
That’s why I want to be friends.
I can find you here at the beach, right? I’ll be back, Javi!
You won’t change my mind! I will make you my friend, Javi!
Wh-What the hell, lady? Did you hear a word I said?! I don’t need any drat friends! And stay away from the beach!
Nnnnope, you will be my friend!
A-Ain’t happening!
Wait, Javi!
See you again! I’m not kidding, I will come back!

But that orange Javi gave me when I was sad and lonely and hurting... was so amazingly fresh and delicious. More than any orange I’ve ever had before. It was almost as though Javi’s kindness was seeping directly into my mouth. I’m sure we’ll be able to get along. I want to be his friend.

Time is the only thing moving forward in my search. Some days, I would ask my mom’s friend, Orlando, to accompany me on trips outside the village... but no matter where I go, I just hear the same thing. The view of the ocean always keeps me from getting too dejected. It’s an unimaginably huge chasm that keeps us apart, but at the same time, there’s something beautiful about the way the sea encompasses the entire world. The emerald expanse... It simultaneously robs me of him and soothes my heart with its stunning brilliance.

Perhaps I feel such awe and admiration for it... because I was born along the seaside.

Javi? Are you there?
That’s odd. I can always find him here.
Hey, Javi! Where did you go?
...?
A- Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

BGM: Comical

A-A pitfall? That’s not very nice, Javi...
Why would you do that to me?
Hmph. Because you won’t stop following me around. You have any idea how annoying that is?
That doesn’t mean... you have to do something so cruel...
Hmph. Maybe now you’ll learn your lesson and stay away from the beach.
Waaaah... nnh... Jerk...
Hmph.
Mnh... waaaah... aah...
H-Hey...
Nnh... W-Waaaah...
Wait — You seriously crying?
H-Hey, don’t cry...
Juuuust kidding.
I’m not crying!
Wha — C’mon! You were faking?! You tricked me?!
You played the first mean prank, Javi. You really scared me there!
I kept telling you to stay away. It’s your fault for constantly refusing to listen.
I’m surprised you haven’t gotten bored yet. You must have a lot of time on your hands.
I most certainly do not have a lot of time! My deadline for how long I can be here is quickly approaching.
But I’ll just get depressed if I spend all that time searching. If I can have some fun with you, Javi, I’ll have more energy!
Fun, eh?
So you still haven’t found him?
N-No.
You don’t even know if the guy’s alive or dead, just...

Ah, hold on a sec —
O-Ow!
...?
Owwww...
C’mon, you’re not going to fool me again.
No, I’m not joking around, I really...
Nngh...
I-It looks like I twisted my ankle...
A-Ahaha. But I’ll be just fine. Don’t worry about me.
...Wait there.
...Huh?

A-All right...
Tch. Ankle’s swollen. At least learn to land properly.
Whaaaat? You’re going to blame me, when you’re the one who dug the hole?
No one’s ever gotten hurt in a trap that basic. At least, none of my friends ever did.
Wait, I thought you didn’t have friends, Javi?
Oh, shut your drat mouth! I’m going to bandage your ankle.
Oh, I see... you went to get a bandage for me. Thank you.
It was... my fault anyway.
Hehe.
Swap it out for a real bandage when you can. I’m sure your acquaintance has some.
Really? It looks just fine to me.
This filthy thing isn’t suitable for someone like you, lady.
Pauline.
Quit that!
What do you mean “not suitable”?
Do I have to explain everything? You’re from a pretty well-off country, aren’t you, Pauline?
Well, compared to that, this is a poor village. We don’t even have clean bandages to spare. Just gross scraps of cloth like this.
It’s not something you should be wearing.
You think so...? But you gave it to me, Javi. I won’t be changing it anytime soon.
Tell me, Javi... do you not like this village?

The ocean?
It’s the one thing that doesn’t change, no matter what. It’s always beautiful.
I see... You like the ocean too, Javi.
I just don’t have anything else to like.
Oh, there you go again...
Oh, I’ve got an idea! Javi, Javi!
What now?
A rowboat! I want to take a ride in a rowboat! Would anyone get mad if we borrowed the one tied up over there for a little bit?
I doubt anyone would care if it’s just for a little... Can you row, though, lady?
You’ll do the rowing, Javi!
Huh? Why me?
What’s the big deal?! The water is mostly calm today. I think a little walk on the sea would be lovely.
Can you call that a “walk”...?
Sure you can. Come on, let’s go! Give me a hand, Javi.
God, you are one cheeky outsider.

You think so? All the same to me.
No, it’s definitely different! The smell of salt is stronger, and there’s more moisture in the air.
It’s kind of like someone gently caressing your cheek.
I’m not getting any of that. You are way too perceptive, lady.
Am I? Close your eyes, Javi, and feel the breeze. I bet you’ll get what I’m saying!
Go on, close your eyes!
No, I’m not going to.
Whaaaat? Why not?
I just... don’t want to do what you tell me.
Oh, no need to be petty.
The sea... is not always so kind.

The ocean is a scary thing. It’s nothing we humans have any chance of standing up against.
...You’re right.
And I know it very... very well.
The man I’m searching for... was in a shipwreck.
I was told it killed him, but I refuse to believe he would just leave me behind like that.
Sometimes, on a whim, the wrinkly witch might have mercy.
I’m not so sure about that.
I trust in the sea’s gentleness. I don’t think it’s all scary.
This soft breeze, these calm waves...
They saved him. I’m sure of it.
He loved the ocean too, you know. He was always looking far into the distance out across the water.
His head held high, a stern, unwavering look in his eyes.
I’m assuming he’s... your lover?
Yes. He’s very dear to me, and I love him deeply.
Oh, I see.
He was really fond of the sea by my hometown.
You live in a decent town, huh?
Yep, it’s wonderful! It’s so peaceful, and everyone’s so nice! There’s not a single bad person living there!

...Visit your home?
Yeah! The ocean there is really pretty too. The colors are a little deeper than they are here.
It’s like so many jewels sparkling in the light. I’m sure you’ll love it, Javi.
I’d love for you to come and visit! We can go see all sorts of things. There’s this shop that sells great ham sandwiches!
...I don’t have the money for a trip.
Maybe not now, but you could in the future.
Or... if you’re interested at all...
I could ask Orlando... to bring you back with us, Javi.
If you don’t want to stay here, that is.
Along with the guy you’re looking for?
Yep! I’m sure he’d be happy to have you along.
Give it some thought. You would enjoy it, I’m sure.
You sound like a child...
Huh?
...Nothing. I doubt I could even get permission to leave.
Permission? Oh, right. Are your parents pretty strict, Javi?
No...
They’re dead, both my mom and dad.
Wha...?

So I’m staying with an acquaintance. They try to work me like a horse, though, so I sneak out here when I get the chance.
...W-Was it... in the war?
The war? What are you talking about, lady?
Huh? Wasn’t this country involved in a war not too long ago?
There was a war, yes, but no soldiers ever reached this village.
Then... why would they... be killed...?

The... beast?
Yes, the beast. He showed up one day and destroyed everything.
The peace, my family, my friends.
Merchants and travelers visiting the village.
Everyone and everything. He slaughtered everything, and then he disappeared.
That man... that bestia destroyed everything!
He’s a murderous beast! The whole village is terrified of him!
They go through their days like lifeless dolls, enveloped in his stormcloud of terror!
Bestia...
A murderous beast...
(So the grim air hanging in the village... isn’t because of the war?)
(It’s because... a beast has been killing people?)
(A beast...? Why would... But...)
H-Hey, Javi... You said there were merchants and travelers visiting the village. Can you describe them for me?
There were all sorts. Like one who stopped by on the road to somewhere else...
and an international trader on his way to purchase goods...
...!

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Oh!! So they're Dutch, maybe. But vaguely Japanese, judging from the artwork? And I'm so curious about Javi... what could his ultimate role in all of this be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XtDjUpWw20

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 27, 2018

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Oh!! So they're Dutch, maybe.

That would certainly fit the description of a prosperous country to the north of Spain, with international merchants setting out from there. Although it would make Pauline's attitude rather strange, given that the Netherlands had a bit of a history with Spain that should have still been living memory by the beginning of the 18th century.

It's curious that the story refuses to ever actually name places (even at the cost of having the dialogue sound stilted at times), but keeps dropping hints. With the mansion apparently wandering around, and the overarching plot of visiting different times and locations by entering rooms of the mansion, it's possible that the spatial vagueness is supposed to make the themes of the story feel more universal.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Man, it's always so fun watching people try to predict what's going to happen in this game :allears:

Seriously, it starts out a bit slow but by the time you get to the third door or so it's full steam ahead. This is probably my favorite game of all time so I'm glad someone's LPing it.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

This is already interesting and I hope it gets even weirder because I love weird.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

We've lost all the brakes on the train to Crazy Town.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Mephitis

Hahh, hah... hah, haah...
(Will they attack me again? No, if I ask — Did they look like they were open to requests?)
(No, they tried to kill me. They almost killed me. They threw stones at me. They did more than that.)
(Hoes and knives and sticks and I don’t know, things I didn’t even recognize. They hit me with them.)
Hahh... hah, hahh... haah, nhaah, nnh... hahhh...
(They tried to kill me. They looked like they were going to kill me. I almost died.)
(I’m on the verge of death even now. My throat is sore. It hurts... No, I don’t feel pain anymore. It burns? Does it burn?)
(I don’t know... I don’t know... I don’t know... I don’t know... I don’t know anything...)
(I’m so thirsty... Water... I just need water... Will they not even give me any water?)
(Why? Why not? Because... I’m a “bestia”?)
Hah... hahh... nnh... nnnngh.
(Because I’m... a beast... Because I don’t need to live... Because I don’t deserve to live.)
(Are beasts meant to die? Am I meant to die?)
(I’m... thirsty. My stomach is probably empty too... I don’t know anymore, but I’m hungry. So very hungry...)
(I can’t take it, I can’t take it, I can’t take it, I can’t take it, I can’t take it, I can’t take it, I can’t take it.)
Aaaah... aaaaaaaah... nnnnnnnnnnnngh...
(Water... I just need water... Just some water...)
(What must I do... to get some water... from that village?)
(A well... A well. I can find a well. There has to be a well. I know what that is. I know what a well is.)
(What else do I know?)
(Nothing... Nothing, nothing. I have no memories. I have nothing. I am a beast. A newborn beast.)
Ngh, hnh, mmn... hah... hahhh...

Hahh... hah, hahh... haah...
...Ahh.
(Ahh... ahh, ahh, ahh! Ahh!)
(There was something! There is something! Something I know! I know this!)
(This is mine... It must be. It’s mine! I know this! It’s mine!)
(I know... how to use it, how to touch it, how to hold it, how to swing it!)
(I know... what this is, what to do with it, what it’s for!)
(I know... that with this, I can fight on equal footing with them!)
(A beast... beast, beast. I am a beast. Beasts are meant to be ridiculed, to be hated, to be resented, to die.)
(But I want to live. Which means... I have only one option. Only one way. Only one.)
(With this! I must overthrow! Those who tormented me! I can do that!)
(Water... and food... I can get that... I can get anything!)
Hah, hah, hahah, hahahahahahahahahah!

...Who’s there?
You shouldn’t answer it. It’s probably a beggar or something. These are dangerous times.
You’re right... How unpleasant a world we live in, that we should have to fear for our lives in this little village.
Unpleasant indeed. I hope things go back to how they used to be soon enough.
Gah, you just don’t give up. Who’s there?! You’re not coming in without identifying yourself!
This is rather strange...
What’s going on, Dad?
Oh, did the noise wake you? There’s nothing to worry about, son. Go back to bed, it’ll quiet down soon —
The door — ...Huh?

Ah... AAAAH!

Wha — Wha — What’s — ?!
××××××××××××××××××××
...Mom...?
Ahh... aaaaaah... aahhhh...
J-Javi! L-Look away! Wh-Why is... Why is the bestia — ?!
××××××××××××××××
Run, you hear me! Go out the back door... and let everyone know... Shout as loud as you —

Wh-What is this...? What’s going on?!
Why... There’s blood? Wh-Why...? It can’t be...
What the... How did this... Why...? Why?!
Mom! Dad!
××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××
B-Bestia... Bestia! The bestia... You... why would you — ?!
××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××
W-W-Waaaaaaaah!

Hah... hahh, hahh... nngh...!
Hahh!

W-Water...
D — Don’t touch me! Keep your hands off me!
...!

You... Where are you hiding?! Why did you disappear?! You were always around before!
...U-Um...
Show yourself! Show yourself immediately! Where are you?! Show yourself!

And if I did,
what would you do, then?
Kill me?
You thirst for blood,
to instill fear,
to live.
In the face of your desire,
others’ lives are meaningless.
That’s the kind of man you are.
Or...
do you intend to pretend
that you never did anything of the sort?

Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! I couldn’t help it! I wanted to live! I didn’t want to die!

Yes, yes indeed.
That’s the kind of man you are.
You’ll kill for your own sake.
Hehe...
You’ll kill a child’s mother and father
as he stands there watching.

Calm yourself... Who are you speaking to? Please, get a hold of yourself!
Silence! Stop talking! Keep... Keep your hands off me! I’ll... I’ll kill you too! I’m a beast... who will kill anyone!
Calm down... It’s all right... Everything’s all right. It’s all right.
I — I’m a... I’m a beast... Beasts kill... and so I kill... Hah... hah... hahh... aaaah...
Breathe slower... I will not harm you, and you will not harm me.
It’s all right. Put your arms around me. See for yourself that I am not afraid of you.
Hahh... haah... nnh... nnnh...

This is brilliant.
What are you clinging onto this woman for?
Is that the only way you can maintain your grip on yourself?
It would be so, so much easier
if you simply accepted the fact that you’re a beast.
You’ve always,
always been one,
haven’t you?
Can a beast
cultivate love like a human?
Weep in sorrow like a human?
No, they cannot. It’s utterly ridiculous.

Sh-Shut up... Shut up, shut up!
It’s all right... I’m right here. I’m right here...
Can I... Can I... trust you?
Of course.

This little façade will be over soon enough.
It will end... at that woman’s hands.
Because that’s
what she’s here for.
To crush your soul into tiny pieces.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Woah. Is that actually the Maid speaking at the end there, or just his guilt using her voice? Or is the house a separate entity who just decided to speak now? Let me guess: there's no actual voice acting in which we can tell... I don't suppose that question even matters considering Bestia's mental state at the moment.

There's a few ways I can see this story playing out, and none of them are good... because they either entail a bloody, vicious fallout, or they avoid it entirely which would leave me feeling cheated, frankly. These were crimes- however much he suffered, and however much society failed him and how justifiable his anger (and it is justifiable), he has committed atrocities for both material gain and his own pleasure, and he is right to feel guilty about it... and I'm not sure that's enough. No, I am sure: it is most definitely not enough. The victims of Bestia's crimes, represented by Pauline and Javi, deserve restitution for their losses, and the problem is that too often, especially in literature, this restitution is often given in the form of revenge- i.e. Bestia's painful death, and maybe the WHG as well, that Bestia might "share their pain"- and while that solution might be cathartic in the short term, it doesn't really solve anything. Javi's parents and Pauline's sweet Dutchman are still dead, after all, and that's a hardship, especially in this time period. A penalty that provides punishment for the guilty party and adequate restitution for the wronged is something civilization still struggles with; Germanic law, for example, tried to institute wergild (man-price, literally), which was a sum of money paid to the wronged party by the criminal, which is... something, but that tapered off due to the various problems of implementing it. Bestia does have that big house, after all, with gardens, and probably a lot of land...

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

OK, yes, I wasn't sure but now I am: Bestia is a man, and the villagers did him terribly wrong. Granted, it looks like he wasn't able to articulate himself beyond pants and grunts, but that's not behavior that merits having poo poo thrown at you. He knows what a glass of water is, what a well is, what a sword is. He's human. And it looks like the poor thing has amnesia. He needed a hospital, and he got a spooky magic mansion instead!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Spooky magic murder mansion. Perhaps even the maniac mansion.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hm. Did the house let slip that the white haired girl is basically manufactured to gently caress with people in some way? Was she really born to family of the first story or did the mansion invent her and her history with the family for maximum effect.

Basically what if the white haired girl being a half sister was the mansion pulling a retcon to gently caress over the siblings? And she only exists now, with a newly invented background, so Bestia can suffer too. When Bestia is done, does WHG go back into the mansions bag of tricks to wait for the next poor sod the mansion comes across, and is loaded with a new story for maximum effect?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

She's pretty clearly affected by the first story as it looks like her hair is regrowing from Nellie's attempt at Lannister Time.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

We've lost all the brakes on the train to Crazy Town.

Wanna bet? :unsmigghh:

Having said that: hearing voices out of nowhere? Not a good sign, especially in magic murder mansion, since there's a very real chance of it actually being a supernatural being talking.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

marshmallow creep posted:

Hm. Did the house let slip that the white haired girl is basically manufactured to gently caress with people in some way? Was she really born to family of the first story or did the mansion invent her and her history with the family for maximum effect.

Basically what if the white haired girl being a half sister was the mansion pulling a retcon to gently caress over the siblings? And she only exists now, with a newly invented background, so Bestia can suffer too. When Bestia is done, does WHG go back into the mansions bag of tricks to wait for the next poor sod the mansion comes across, and is loaded with a new story for maximum effect?
It might be notable that when she's around, the Maid usually isn't. I'm not going to say she's evil but I think she and the Maid are similar entities.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

PetraCore posted:

Oh snap, he has a fine sword with him the maid thought was stolen, right? And bodies wash up on the nearby beaches? And Bestia took the name from what someone said when he was eating sand? He washed up half-dead after being wounded in a battle... maybe?

Bringing this back along with the realization that the merchant Bestia attacked may have shared Pauline's merchant's sprite, but he certainly didn't mention being in a shipwreck, only getting lost. I'm sure plenty of merchants have sweethearts back home.

Bestia almost has to be Pauline's love, if only because that's the cruelest twist possible.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Alopex posted:

Bringing this back along with the realization that the merchant Bestia attacked may have shared Pauline's merchant's sprite, but he certainly didn't mention being in a shipwreck, only getting lost. I'm sure plenty of merchants have sweethearts back home.

Bestia almost has to be Pauline's love, if only because that's the cruelest twist possible.

Yup, he doesn't speak the language since he's a foreigner. That makes a great deal of sense.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

And so maybe the reason the merchant shared a sprite with the lost lover was so Bestia was symbolically killing his old self?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

marshmallow creep posted:

And so maybe the reason the merchant shared a sprite with the lost lover was so Bestia was symbolically killing his old self?

Tbh I thought that sprite was brought up when The Maid was mentioning that she had drawn out a humanity in Bestia that she didn't think was possible.
Further implying that Bestia is that merchant.

Also, but behind spoiler quotes cause I think it's another pretty spot on clue:
That kid mentioned that sometimes, terrible things came from the sea. Or ocean. Or whatever. This kinda also implies that Bestia washed ashore before being tormented and murdering some villagers.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
So glad you're back, Prof. Never heard of this one but I look forward to seeing where it goes - with the 'first door,' 'second door' stuff I initially suspected it would be something like Bluebeard's Castle. But then, who would be Bluebeard? Us? The maid? I look forward to being completely wrong. Thanks for doing this.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

I thought for sure I would get burnt sitting beneath the hellishly pounding sun on that sweltering summer day. It’s only ever on days such as those that we end up having lunch outside. Not just out of the house — literally outside.

The heat was searing. I could hear the cry of seagulls from the restaurant’s terrace. I remember that day clear as crystal.

Wouldn’t you say, son?
I-Indeed... Yes, it is.
By the look on your face, I’d say you’re already feeling it? You’re not going to make it in this line of work without a big ol’ stomach, son.
Heh... hahaha.
I’m a huge fan of this country’s food.
One taste and you never forget it. I’d like to bring the entire cuisine back with me if I could.
This is the first time we’ve seen you in how long, and you’re talking about food? The first thing you asked when you arrived was, “Is the restaurant by the seaside still open?” for goodness’ sake.
Is your heart made out of stone?
What, would you prefer we discuss the mundane? Why don’t we talk about market developments and our spices inventory?
That’s not what I meant!
Mmm...

It’s hot. My parents’ relationship is on thin ice, but the air feels like it’s on fire. It’s much too hot. My dad loves this seaside restaurant. It actually specializes in fish, but he always asks for meat. Though “always” isn’t very often. He’s out of the country most of the time, so we rarely eat together as a family. For that reason, I can usually put up with a little heat for a family gathering...

Go on, son, dig in! You can’t find food this good back home!
A-As you say...

Every course, the table is lined with meat, meat, meat. Even I’m starting to feel heavy in the gut. At this rate, I might turn into meat myself. Hmm. What kind of meat would I turn into, though? I guess beef, maybe, if the meal keeps on like this.

Just how much food are you planning to order? I can’t believe you. Why did I ever marry you?
Come, now. We’re out as a family. You could stand to be a little more pleasant!
And who do you think is making me unpleasant?!
N-Now, now, now, now.
Now, now, now, now!

From time to time, our eyes meet. But every time they do, we both avert our gaze. This goes on throughout the meal.

My father invited him to lunch. Dad introduced him as his right-hand, so I assume he’s also a trader. His eyes are somewhat narrow, his posture perfectly upright. He looks very no-nonsense and not especially affable... Frankly, he kind of scares me.

H-Hey, Dad? Are we going anywhere after lunch? I figured, since we’re all together, maybe we could take a walk or visit someplace out of town...
Mm? Ah, yes, hmm. Actually, I’ve got a letter to write after this.
A letter to one of the bigwigs back home. So I’m planning to head straight back to the trading post.
Oh, okay...
Can’t say I’m especially surprised...
What do you want me to do? It’s work, and it has to be done.
If I could get an audience with him in person, maybe this wouldn’t be necessary, but that’s not possible. So I have no choice but to write a long, long letter.

Wha —
Oh, no, I’m...
Hold on, now! Could you please leave Pauline out of this?! She has things she needs to do too!
What’s the big deal?
You want to know about an area, ask someone who lives there. That’s the best way to learn. Besides, you’ll stick out like a sore thumb wandering around on your own, son.
But... I couldn’t...
Um, I...
You don’t mind, do you, Pauline?
Uh... not at all...
God, you are the most inconsiderate man!

Mom says, then leans in and whispers to me,

Listen to me. Do not let your guard down around a foreign man.

My father is, as a matter of fact, a foreigner. And the man he brought to lunch is from the same country.

Indeed it is... It is a park.

My assignment to show this man around town is, to be honest, going quite horribly.

“This is a park.” No. Just... no. Couldn’t you come up with anything better, Pauline?! But I don’t know anything about the history of this park. In fact, I don’t know much of anything about this town’s history. I just sort of... walk around every day, not really paying it much mind. Wouldn’t someone more knowledgeable make a better guide? I can’t do it! Don’t ask this of me!

Also, he...

He doesn’t talk very much, and he’s got this perpetually stern look on his face. He really does scare me. Don’t worry, Mom. Your daughter won’t mistakenly fall for a foreigner.

At any rate. Regardless of how I feel, I am still technically his guide. I’ve got to try a little harder. Though I know it won’t be easy...

And then, uh, there’s a fountain!
...There is, indeed... a fountain.

Urgh... umm... uh...
I’m sorry... I’m not much of a guide... Maybe my dad could show you around instead...
N-No, don’t worry about it. I think you’re doing just fine... In fact...
I’m sorry you got roped into this.
I doubt you much enjoy having to walk around town beside, um, someone like me.
What? No, that’s not it at all...
Oh, is that so...? I’m glad to hear it.
Here’s an idea: rather than guide me, how about this?
Why don’t you show me what you usually do, the places you normally go?
Do you really want to see that?
I’d prefer to see the town through the eyes of a resident. To see it for what it is, instead of what makes good sightseeing.
A-All right then, um...
I often get ham sandwiches from the shops near here.
Having lunch on the wall by the fountain is the most wonderful thing. Look over there. See the butcher shop? And the bakery next to it?
I buy bread from the bakery, bring it to the butcher, get a few slices of ham, and put it on the bread. It’s absolutely to die for.
Haha... but you just had a huge lunch.
I-I’m not getting one right now! Also, please don’t think I’m as carnivorous as my dad.
Sorry, sorry, I didn’t mean to imply any such thing.
Jeez...

Wait. Hold on. Did he just... smile? He did. It was a small one, but he did. He can actually smile. Being human, that should be obvious, but it’s kind of strange seeing him do it. Maybe... just maybe we’ll be able to get along, even just a little bit?

Um... do you mind if I ask you a question?
Sure, go right ahead.

Ah...
C’mon, how about it? I’m really curious.
He... probably doesn’t know very much himself.
What? About his own homeland?
Some don’t...
...? What do you —
How about that fountain? I’d like to get a closer look at it.
At the spot you say you like to sit.
O-Okay...
(What was that just now? Did he dodge my question?)
(Is there something there he doesn’t want to get into...?)
From this angle, it looks like the fountain’s sitting atop the ocean.
Ah, yeah, it does... It does. If you want, we can go to the beach. It’s a straight walk from here.
No, I like this view. The sea’s a pretty color here. You can clearly see the white of the fountain upon it.
The sea’s a different color than the fountain?
It is. In fact, the sea is often changing colors itself, but out on the water, it can be easy to overlook.
It can be the color of emeralds, or deep blue like sapphire, or almost black, like obsidian. The sea has a face, and with it, many expressions.
Huh... I’d like to see that. Maybe I’ll ask Dad and get him to take me out on his ship.
You have quite the adventurous spirit. Not many women say they want to ride a ship.
You think? I want to go everywhere I haven’t been before. I want to see for myself that the world extends beyond this town.
Ahh... That’s a fine ambition. Hopefully, the time will come when anyone can have access to a ship with relative ease.

And we seem to be talking pretty comfortably too. He’s a lot more friendly than he looks... He appears almost noble, the way he looks out at the sea, his gaze steadfast and unwavering.

Oh dear, that was close. He almost deceived me. He’s a foreign man, and I’m simply his guide. You mustn’t think you’ve grown close to him just because you were able to hold a brief conversation.

By the way...
Hmm? ...Pardon me. Yes?
... That outfit you’re wearing...
What, this? Oh yes, it’s absolutely splendid! Hehe. My dad brought it back for me.
It’s of a peculiar design, with unusual accessories! The moment I saw it, I said “oh my!” “Oh my,” I said!
It’s so pretty, I want to show it off to everyone!
I... I see.
Oh, it’s just so magnificent. He actually has a decent eye for clothing. I guess he has more in that head of his than meat.
Actually... um...
Hmm?

Huh?
When... When I heard I was going to meet my boss’s daughter...
I thought it would be best if I brought some kind of gift. So I had a tailor imitate the style of my homeland.
I’m... delighted it’s to your liking.
Wh — Wh — Wha — H-Hold on a second!
Yes?
So you’re saying these clothes I’m fawning over... were given to me by you... and you had them made for me?
Indeed.
And completely oblivious, here I am wearing them now...
More precisely, you’ve been wearing them since lunch.
Wh-Wh-Why didn’t you say something before?! Th-This is humiliating! I want to bury my head in the sand!
B-But I thought you liked them?
I-I do. I do indeed, but — !
Having never met you, I wasn’t sure what colors you liked, but...
I’m, uh... I was relieved to see you wearing them.
They look nice on you.
...!

He says with a smile. He’s always standing up perfectly straight, always looking stern and no-nonsense — and he kind of scares me. But he’s a gentleman.

I — I’m going to go change!
Wha?!
I’m going to go change! I’ll be back in five seconds, so just wait there!
Ah...
Five seconds is infeasible...

I really, really need your help. Because my heart just skipped a beat. For a foreign man.

BGM: Skia Oura

Oh no, thank you for the information. I really appreciate it! And don’t worry about me; I’ll keep safe!
Goodbye.

It killed a number of villagers and then disappeared. Ever since then, the village hasn’t been itself. There’s a cloud of gloom hovering over it, fear visible in everyone’s eyes. At first, I thought their fear was of the beast returning. But that’s not quite right.

Their troubles with the beast are, in fact, still ongoing.

Hey. I hear you were asking around about the beast?
...Yeah.
Talking about the beast is taboo. People are going to push you away even harder now.
Though, I guess... you are leaving in a few days.
People going missing.
Your beast problem is still going on, isn’t it?
Huh.
After asking around, I’m beginning to piece things together.
When the beast first appeared, you chased it away. However, later...
the beast came back, killing villagers.
After that, the beast disappeared, but...
villagers began disappearing too.
Once a week, someone would just... be gone.
And even as the weeks passed, none of them ever returned.
The people of the village think the beast is responsible. They think it’s kidnapping villagers.
... That’s right. This village is under the beast’s curse.
So you’re better off... forgetting about this place, and the savage beast that dwells nearby.
You don’t belong in a place like this. Go back to your hometown, where it’s peaceful. That’s the kind of life you deserve.
Javi...
...What?
I want you to be honest with me about something.
Where does —

Why not?! They told me...
that you... that you would know where the beast is, Javi!
I heard from the other villagers... that you once chased the beast.
Sure you didn’t mishear ’em?
No, I’m positive! You know where the beast ran off to! Where its hideaway is!
You chased after it, found its den...
and then... you came back. That’s what I heard.
Didn’t you?
Why did you keep that from me?! When you told me about the beast...
I asked you to tell me everything you knew, Javi!
But you brushed me off, said you didn’t know anything...
Said that I should talk to someone else.
When in reality... you know more about it than anyone else!
Tell me, why? Why did you hide that from me?
What were you thinking...
as you watched me frantically asking around the village for more information?
Were you enjoying yourself?
Tell me, why are you always so mean to me?
Shut the hell up!
...!
Like I could tell you!
Like I could actually tell you that!

That he’s a drat coward?!
...!
I’m sure you heard that one plenty from everyone! And now you think...
that I’m a coward too!
I don’t —
Yeah, it’s true, I went after the beast! I chased it down the night it killed my parents!
Hiding around back, I saw it slip into the forest!
So I went after it, chasing it until I reached its den!
I despised that bestia with everything I had. It murdered my mom and dad...
It murdered my friends, the kindly priest, every decent person in town...
I wanted...
I needed to get revenge for what it had done! It was my duty to bring retribution upon the beast that stole everything from me!
So I... I tried to confront the bestia...
but...
I couldn’t do it! Not only could I not stand up to it...
as soon as it turned around and I saw its eyes —
its bloodshot eyes and black irises —
I couldn’t move...
Javi...

and even followed it home...
but I couldn’t do anything. Anything except run, flee, screaming in terror.
That was all I could do.
Javi, that doesn’t make you a coward! If the beast really was that terrifying —
But I was supposed to stand up to it!
That’s what the rest of the village would have wanted!
For someone to eradicate the bestia!
When I came back, having accomplished nothing...
everyone was so harsh. “You coward.” “What did you even go out there for?” Constant ridicule.
What right do they have to...? If they really want him gone, they could all go together and —
No one’s got that kind of courage left. They’re all waiting for someone else to speak up.
Someone to stand up and say “let’s go kill that beast.”
But no one has the guts to take that initiative!
It could have been me, but...
the moment I fled back to the village in fear, I lost that qualification.

Huh...?
That I didn’t tell you where the beast dwells. Do you think that was just me harassing you?
I’ve seen the beast. I know how scary it is. And I know how dangerous it is.
And you think I’d tell you where it is?!
I know good and well what you’re thinking! That the guy you’re looking for...
might have been taken by him!
And you want to go to its den to see if he’s there!
Knowing that! Do you really think I’d tell you?!
If you go, you’ll...
it’ll... kill you...
You don’t have any evidence, anyway!
Nothing that points to that guy being taken by the beast!
But — !
You don’t need to put your life on the line for something like that — something so uncertain!
Even if! Even if by some chance he was taken by the beast...
there’s no way he’d be alive!
That’s what the beast does! No one comes back alive!
But...
you came back alive, Javi.
...!

That’s just... because I ran away immediately, but...
even if he did manage to escape, that’s all the more reason not to check the beast’s den!
I...
I want to know for sure...
whether he’s alive or dead.
Somewhere... in a little corner of my heart...
part of me thinks that he might just actually be dead.
I have to have faith...
but I’m so close to cracking. To thinking he won’t ever come back to me...
Then... why don’t you just give up on him already?
Without knowing for sure, I can’t let go.
I’ll debate with myself forever, until I die an old lady, about whether or not he’s still alive...
That’s how my life will end.
You want... closure.
You want to know for sure whether he’s alive or dead, right?
And even if he is dead...
you’ll be satisfied just knowing it?
...Right.
Which is why I want to, at least, follow any possible leads.
There might not be anything saying he’s there...
but it is true that remains of the ship he was on washed up in this village.
If he wandered the area... and ended up at the beast’s den... where he was killed...
then I’ll let go.
So please, Javi, tell me where the beast dwells.

Huh?
Even if you find no trace of him at the beast’s den —
even if you don’t figure out whether he’s alive or dead —
you’ll give up your search for him.
You’ll assume he’s dead.
If you don’t reach some conclusion, you’ll just keep searching, keep going to dangerous places, keep putting yourself at risk.
I want you to stop that.
To stop, go back to your town, and live a normal life.
Settle on an answer.
If you can promise me that, I’ll tell you where the beast’s den is.
Okay. I promise.
This will be the last place I look.
Two more things.
...?
First, I’m going with you.
What? But I thought... Isn’t it dangerous?
Exactly! I can’t let you go alone!
Javi...
I have to go with you and make sure you don’t do anything stupid.
All right, fine. And the other one is?

You don’t understand just how dangerous the beast is.
It knows no mercy. It indiscriminately attacks any human it sees.
So you can’t let the beast find you.
You just examine the den from the outside. And when you’re done, back to the village.
Understood? You need to promise me this.
...Okay.
... Oh right, one more thing...
Huh? I thought it was just two things?
This is less of a promise... and more something that would be nice.
I decided... when we make it back to the village... I actually would like... if you could take me to your hometown.
Javi...
I’ll figure out some way to get permission. And I’ll do my best to not be a burden on you.
I’m still just a kid, and there’s not a whole lot I can do even in a better place...
but I’m surprisingly skilled with my hands. If you have work for me, I’ll do anything.
So... there’s that.
Yes! Yes! Of course I will. We’ll go back to my hometown together, and I’ll show you all around!
You can get some great ham sandwiches there! We’ll eat them together in the park.
You’ve told me that already.
Haha... are you ever not hungry, lady?
Ah, you laughed! You just laughed, Javi!
...?! Wh-Whoa, back off! I did not laugh!
Nope, you definitely laughed. You’re kind of cute when you laugh, Javi! C’mon, do it again. Go on, like this.
Sh-Shut up! Stay back! Nngh, stop it, don’t touch my cheeks!
Bah. I wanted to see it again.
I am not your plaything!
Hehehe...

Got it?
Promise. Thank you, Javi.
I don’t need your thanks...
Thank you.

...but because I can see... that Javi’s trying to save me. His care calms the turbulent waves that have been crashing inside me. I was always anxious. I always believed. I always thought I’d see him again. But I also recognized... that I was practically living a fantasy. I was just... too stubborn to admit it. I certainly won’t be able to change how I feel immediately. I’ll probably continue loving him.

Nevertheless, Javi’s words resonated comfortingly with me. I can see — if but vaguely — a new path, a new way of life appearing before me. That’s what he did for me. I will make this the last time. My final attempt to find him. No matter the outcome, I will stop stubbornly believing he’s still alive.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

oh godddd it's him aughhhh

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

witchcore ricepunk posted:

oh godddd it's him aughhhh

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

...so like, he's Japanese, right? Was part of him being viciously attacked because he 'looked weird'?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

We, possibly; all we really know about him is that he's from away and hesitant to say why he goes back. He used a Dutch term last update, but he could just have picked it up... and that does kinda look like a kimono. However, his hesitancy to talk about his homeland and why he left is interesting, considering the time-frame, not too long after the Eighty Years War... I wonder if he, along with Pauline's dad, might have been Dutch, and might have defected from the Seventeen Provinces to help Spain. If Bae was a traitor or the child of a traitor, that might explain why he can't go back. ... But him being Japanese is admittedly more parsimonious.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

resurgam40 posted:

We, possibly; all we really know about him is that he's from away and hesitant to say why he goes back. He used a Dutch term last update, but he could just have picked it up... and that does kinda look like a kimono. However, his hesitancy to talk about his homeland and why he left is interesting, considering the time-frame, not too long after the Eighty Years War... I wonder if he, along with Pauline's dad, might have been Dutch, and might have defected from the Seventeen Provinces to help Spain. If Bae was a traitor or the child of a traitor, that might explain why he can't go back. ... But him being Japanese is admittedly more parsimonious.

I think treason is rather unlikely, given that by 1707, the Eighty Years' War had been over for almost 60 years (and it would make it even weirder that the game hasn't mentioned the war at any point yet). But him being Japanese would fit extremely well, since the Dutch East India Company was at that time one of the few European entities permitted to trade with or even set foot on Japan. I don't know what the Shogunate's stance on Japanese people traveling abroad was, but the Merchant's remark that Pauline's father "probably doesn’t know very much himself" about their homeland might imply that they are exiles or something similar.

(Watch Bestia's permanently shiny sword turn out to be a katana)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If they were Japanese Christians, and dad was an early convert who left early, that could explain exile and why he doesn't know much about his old homeland.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I was also thinking Japanese and not somewhere in Europe because the first thing Pauline mentions about him are his narrow eyes... which would indeed seem strange to someone who'd only ever really seen one other East Asian person! His very dark hair and eyes (and Pauline's) could be from anywhere, but all the clues seem to be very very heavily implying he's Japanese. I really think that that, COMBINED with how bedraggled a person would look if they half-drowned and washed up on a beach, is why he was beaten so severely, since he'd not just be an outsider and a foreigner but someone who physically looked noticably different.

EDIT: Basically I could be wrong but I think people should brace themselves for some racism in upcoming updates.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 2, 2018

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Vulpe

Ahh... you have awakened. You gave me quite the startle.

Do you not remember? You suddenly started staring off into the distance, and you would not respond to anything I said. Hehe. I thought you were playing a prank on me.

Your hand? Oh, yes, I did not let go of it. For if I had, we would be in quite the predicament.

Someone approaching the mansion, you say? You saw them? Those images... were not shown to you by me. If you saw something, then it was by your own powers. But if you think about it, that is nothing unusual. You are, after all, the master of this house. You should, in all actuality, be able to do anything I can do by yourself, Master. So it is very possible you could have knowledge that I do not.

Now, let us return to the mansion’s tale. After the second beast paid a visit, Bestia began to destabilize again. The White-Haired Girl would soothe his heart, but the calm was only ephemeral. He was like a cracked glass ball. If you dropped him, that would be the end. If you put too much force into handling him, he would shatter. He was very difficult to care for. And cracks do not heal. The damage still remains, even if the two sides appear to be held together firmly in place. Furthermore, they slowly, gradually, and without intervention spread.

The beast appeared to be afraid of someone’s voice. He would on occasion stare into empty space and shout, cover his ears, and groan. One day, he shattered all the windows in the mansion, crushed the silverware I had just polished to a shine... and destroyed all the mirrors. I assume he did not want to see his beastly self.

Windows! Mirrors! Vases! Dishes! They all show my reflection!
Wh-What are you doing?
I have no need of anything that reflects me! You can understand that, can’t you?!
Why...?
You’re going to cut your hands like that...

Tracing the wall with her fingers, the White-Haired Girl approached Bestia. She stretched her spindly fingers out toward the beast’s rugged hands.

...!

His hands were wet with blood from his frenzied attempts to destroy anything reflective in the house.

Look at all these cuts...
Stop... you’re going to dirty your hands. Get back!
No, I will not.
It’s no use... No matter how many times you call me human... the mirrors tell another story.
Not just the mirrors. Everything reflective shouts “beast!” at me angrily.
Look at how precarious I am... It’s hideous... pitiful...
I thought it was all over when I protected you from the beast...
but that image keeps coming back to me — the sight of another beast clinging onto me.
I can hear its voice. It says I was only ever a beast!

So you don’t know... So you can’t hear it.
You are fighting against something beyond the limits of my perception.
Fighting... No, if only it were a fight... It speaks the undeniable truth...
As I have said before, you are not a beast. You look like me; I am certain of it.
Your eyes...
What?
Your... red eyes.
They show you nothing, but they show me what I am...
They show me the difference between us.
Are you afraid of my eyes?

Rip them from me, with your own hands. I have no need of them, after all...
Why... would you go so far for me? You...
The voice says that you’re laughing at me. That deep down, you ridicule me.
Do you believe that?
After all the time we’ve spent together...
I — I don’t know... I’m starting to lose confidence.
I believe you... I think I believe you... but I find myself wavering...
I’m losing sight of myself... and of you... of everything.
In all my memories, I am a beast... The voice says I was always this way.
Which, I suppose, means I am a beast. I can’t be anything but...
Do not trust the voice. Trust me instead. I...
I do not want to make another mistake.
To do something like run away... because I am so weak-willed...
(I do not understand this woman. She’s so pure-hearted, so beautiful. Like hope personified.)
(I want to understand — to believe her. I was sure I could do it, but I keep failing.)
(Why... am I losing my grip on everything?)
Are words not enough to convince you?
What...?
Are words not enough to convince you that you are not a beast?
Then see for yourself... feel for yourself...
that there is but one difference between us.
Wha — What are you doing...?
I assume our skin, and our hair, and our eyes are different colors. But those do not count as a difference.
The only thing that differs between us... is our sex.
H-Hold on...

In his utter shock, Bestia was frozen in place. And he was right to be surprised. The sound of rustling fabric shook the air in the forlorn mansion. She had placed her hand on the sleeve of her garments and begun to disrobe.

Before long —

— she was standing there completely undressed.

Her body was incomparably beautiful. Slender, not an ounce of excess fat on her. The sight of her was impressive — almost divine. Even I let out a gasp when I saw her.

See for yourself.

This was the first time Bestia had seen the White-Haired Girl unclothed. Though they slept in the same bed, as I said before, they did not have a physical relationship.

She grasped his unmoving hand and guided it toward her. She moved his hand across her flesh, along the curve of her shoulder, down her arm, and pressed it against her chest firmly enough for him to feel her beating heart. Do you think this caused a stirring within him? Hehehe... Is there any man for whom the touch of a woman’s skin would not? Especially one so beautiful as her.

However... he was not aroused. Why do you think that was? Because a beast cannot lust after a human? I believe you know the answer.

...Nnh...
Are you crying?

What?
I want to see your smile...
Like this?
I’m not sure... I’m doing a good job...
No... you’re doing fine... Your smile... is so pretty.
It calms me... warms my heart...
I think I know someone, somewhere, who has that same smile.

Thank you for seeing me off.
Don’t mention it...
I learned so much about this town thanks to you. You made my stay here quite enjoyable.
What’s the matter? You’re looking rather glum.
I wonder...
Huh?
I wonder... why the sea exists.
I was born in a port town, so it’s always been there for me.
This huuuuge, neverending, expansive, magnificent ocean.
Far too big for a single, measly little human like me to cross.
It’s so pretty...
It is.
I feel like I understand why you like the sea.
But right now, I can’t help wondering... why God created such an enormous sea.
Why He didn’t make the world... smaller.
Um... I’m sorry. I’m talking nonsense.
Not at all.

And will you have lunch at the seaside restaurant again?
Haha... quite likely. And I bet it’ll be mostly meat too.
Was your stomach able to handle it?
I’ll train up for next time.
Hehe...
Your ship... is going to embark soon.
...Yeah.
Will people get mad you’re not helping them prepare?
Most likely.
Then you should hurry off.
...Yeah.
...Pauline.
Hmm?
I just... wanted to thank you again.
Uh... I appreciate you taking so much time to show me around.
... Is that all?
Um... no.
I don’t know why... but I was considering leaving without telling you this.
...I’d like you to tell me.
I’d feel better... if you turned me down.
What...?
My homeland is only getting more isolated. Unlike your country, mine is not eager to associate with the rest of the world.
I probably don’t even have their patronage anymore...
What I’m saying... is that I have absolutely no stability...
I can’t even say for sure whether I’ll be back...
So...
You’re right. There’s nothing but obstacles. I’m sure my mom would be opposed as well.
But I’ve fallen for you.
The way you look staring out at the sea. The shape of your lips when you smile at me. The kindness in your voice... The more time I spend with you, the deeper I fall in love with you.
The whole world could separate us...
and these feelings would not change.
W-Well, drat. You beat me to it...
Hehe. If I’d waited, I don’t think you would have ever gotten to it!

I fell for you the moment I first saw you.
I promise... we will meet again.
...Mhm.
I promise... I’ll be waiting.
...Thank you.
It’s visible in both of our eyes.

This love, strong enough to wash away all our tribulations. It’s all right there, plain as day, in each of our eyes. Mine, and his...

BGM: Crowd and River

...Huh?
It sounded like someone’s voice.
I didn’t hear anything. Must’ve been your imagination.
Oh...
...You want to turn back, lady?
Huh...?
You’re looking nervous.
I-I’m just fine!
Let’s keep moving!
Ah! But there is one thing!
What?
My name isn’t “lady,” it’s Pauline.
This again?
“Lady” is so... distant. I don’t like being called that.
So, call me Pauline.

How’s that? Can I call you Polly?
Oh, come oooon. I’d really rather you called me Pauline.
I’m an only child, so I’ve always wanted a younger brother or sister, but “Polly” makes it sound like I’m the younger one.
I am not your brother, and I am not a child.
You called yourself a kid yesterday, though.
That’s not what I meant...
Mmm. Oh, fine! You can call me Polly.
It’s not my full name, but I’m glad you’re calling me something other than “lady,” Javi!
...Hahah. Then that’s what I’ll do.
Ah, you laughed!
...Be quiet.
...You’re no fun.
...There’s a mansion up ahead, standing atop the cliff.

What do you mean?
It feels... out of place in this area. And something... seems off about it.
Like, it’s somehow... ethereal...
and could disappear at any moment.
No, I’m probably just overthinking things. Sorry, that was stupid of me to say.
It’s okay.

We still can’t see the mansion Javi’s talking about from here — just dense, overgrown forest. But for some reason, I can sense that we’re approaching it. It’s a strange sensation. Anxiety is bubbling up from deep inside me, and at the same time, I feel like I could burst into tears. Not out of fear, but... familiarity.

Familiarity? I’ve never been to this country before. Everything I’m seeing is new to me. There’s nothing at all for me to find familiar. Why, then...

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Oh god, this upcoming scene is going to be rough no matter how it plays out. I'm definitely more invested in this than I was in the Chapter One scenario, for some reason?

...also he's definitely Japanese, since iirc this is the time period where Japan was trying to cut off all foreign influence. Someone else mentioned the Dutch being the only people allowed to trade with Japan? And I think even that got cut off eventually. As someone who had traveled to foreign lands and been influenced by them, I don't know if the Merchant WOULD be accepted back to the mainland. I don't know a lot of details about this time period, though.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
The main actors in this one are a lot more likeable than in the first one is part of it for me, I think. They're trying to do the right thing within the scope available to them but you know from the thread title it's going to end in tears regardless.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Oh this is going to be horrible, even if Pauline and Javi escape death Javi's going to hate Pauline and it's going to be horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

So, kind of knowing what I do now about who the beast probably is, I reread some previous updates. The other “beast” looked like him, but is smaller. It knocked on the door. It chased after him. It reached out for him, even after he cut it down with his sword.

It... She...

:ohdear:

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 3, 2018