Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

drjuggalo posted:

casca is gonna leave guts cause he kissed slan

Everyone forgets about that apostle he killed while having sex with in the first chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Radish posted:

Everyone forgets about that apostle he killed while having sex with in the first chapter.

the first page

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Radish posted:

that's the non-canon one-shot

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's been a long road.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Guts has been practicing that excuse for this exact moment.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

One of the most fascinating things about Berserk, if you ask me, is the sheer care and patience put into its characters. Nobody would deny the raw appeal of monster slaying action and metal covers as panels, but the comic could easily be so much dumber, and it just isn't. That kinda makes me confident Miura has it all planned out, and is very careful about how to get there. I believe in Berserk

On the topic of So much dumber, Bastard!! is pretty good.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

I want Casca to wear the freaking berserker armor!!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If Guts ever takes off that armor again he is probably going to splatter out of it like 200 pounds of ground beef.

Casca better get some kind of guest gift from the elfking though, everyone else is rocking some sick magical artifact.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hi, just caught up.
Holy gently caress did I choose the perfect time to marathon this :aaaaa:

skasion posted:

Guts strangled her and tried to rape her right after they first set out for Elfhelm

he also did this halfway through their first time. and then she insisted that they keep going. she knew guts was a broken, damaged person with deep-seeded trauma and felt empathy towards him.

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 1, 2018

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i love berserk

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

RatHat posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

It's literally true but also funny.

e: actually poo poo maybe not it's been years since i read Berserk from chapter 1

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 1, 2018

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's literally true but also funny.

e: actually poo poo maybe not it's been years since i read Berserk from chapter 1

Chapter 1 opens with him loving the Apostle lady that killed Corkus and then killing her when she tries to eat him. I think you and the other poster was mixing it together with the actual non-canon one-shot Bersek: The Prototype, where Guts has an eye patch and kills Vlad Tepes.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
chapter 1 doesnt count

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Seriously, chapter 1 features Guts, in peak physical condition, getting confronted by a group of weenie soldiers who essentially work for an Apostle, and he immediately surrenders

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

skasion posted:

If Guts ever takes off that armor again he is probably going to splatter out of it like 200 pounds of ground beef.

Casca better get some kind of guest gift from the elfking though, everyone else is rocking some sick magical artifact.

You remember those thorns around her heart? Girl's gonna have some wicked sick hell powers. Like Guts she's gonna use her own struggle against their curse as a strength.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
She's gonna become Cacxas.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I assume that chapter 1 was made before Miura decided that Guts is extremely uncomfortable with physical intimacy, and just wanted to show guts doing something "cool" like having sex or killing a demon, or both of those things, right off the bat.

That being said, I'm sure that even fleshed-out Guts would have no real problem getting down and dirty if it would put him in perfect position to blow her head off before she could make a move.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The very start of Berserk is wonky by the standards of the rest of the manga and I'm 1000% sure he'd do it differently now if it were possible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, nowadays he'd have it focus on pee drinking instead

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

An unusual artistic direction to be sure but one that is surely for the best

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011

yeah, nowadays he'd have it focus on pee drinking instead

Please don't remind me of Miura's pee fetish filled Attack On Titan rip-off.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The very start of Berserk is wonky by the standards of the rest of the manga and I'm 1000% sure he'd do it differently now if it were possible.

The 97 series did well by having it begin when he makes his way into town to gently caress poo poo up at the tavern and send the message to the snake baron

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Bisse posted:

Super ultra spoiler: That heart, which 'a hex dwells within', looks alarmingly similar to the heart from the lost chapter. Not sure about it, but reacted to the way darkness flows in and out through its veins specifically. If there's something to it, then that is bad, bad news.

I kind of hope this is true as it would be a super cool way to reintroduce a concept that the author now states isn't cannon.

Also I don't post in this thread hardly at all if ever, but holy poo poo, we made it guys!

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

threeagainstfour posted:

Also I don't post in this thread hardly at all if ever, but holy poo poo, we made it guys!

We’ll see.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Yeah she may go into cardiac arrest, and the series is called Berserk, so having her go ape, smack the carp outta Guts, then stealing his armor when he takes it off to show he's willing to "put down his sword"... is not impossible.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Casca's gonna challenge Guts to a fist fight on a cliff and when she beats him, she's gotta cradle his giant, scar covered chin and go "You belong to me now".

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Crabtree posted:

You remember those thorns around her heart? Girl's gonna have some wicked sick hell powers. Like Guts she's gonna use her own struggle against their curse as a strength.

I was thinking the same thing. Casca's badass and all but she's 2 years out of practice and doesn't have much experience fighting the inhuman. She needs a buff, and barring hyperbolic timechamber shenanigans this is probably how she gets that buff

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Laputanmachine posted:

I avoided Berserk for several years because I assumed it was some edgy Heavy Metal-esque crap with above average art as its main selling point. Berserk is much better than that and I have confidence in Miura’s abilities.

tbf it's also absolutely that

e: i mean that in the best possible way though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 3, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think the thorns represent the emotional scars more than anything. Getting her "heart" back could also cause her even more pain as she now has to live and cope with the knowledge of what happened to her..

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Naw, they straight-up said it was a hex this chapter.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah on a second reading you're right that it was explicitly called a hex, but considering the nature of magic in Berserk that...probably isn't actually all that different.
It like has the same nature as the Beast of Darkness, but will act very differently in its effects. Casca didn't react to the eclipse with pure rage and hate like Guts did.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Crabtree posted:

Casca's gonna challenge Guts to a fist fight on a cliff and when she beats him, she's gotta cradle his giant, scar covered chin and go "You belong to me now".

:stonklol:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!
I'm thinking that what Casca wants that differs from what Guts does might involve the fact that Griffith's physical form incarnated using the flesh of their child.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Augus posted:

Yeah on a second reading you're right that it was explicitly called a hex, but considering the nature of magic in Berserk that...probably isn't actually all that different.
It like has the same nature as the Beast of Darkness, but will act very differently in its effects. Casca didn't react to the eclipse with pure rage and hate like Guts did.

The dragonslayer is just iron that's killed enough apostle poo poo and people in general that its been infused with a powerful curse. If Casca willed herself enough a hex could be bent into something of a weapon or power she could learn to utilize considering how weird and magical the world's gotten since she's been sort of gone.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Crabtree posted:

The dragonslayer is just iron that's killed enough apostle poo poo and people in general that its been infused with a powerful curse. If Casca willed herself enough a hex could be bent into something of a weapon or power she could learn to utilize considering how weird and magical the world's gotten since she's been sort of gone.

perhaps as a baby stand

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Crabtree posted:

So you're saying guts will pick her up and smash apostles to death with her?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nuebot posted:

So you're saying guts will pick her up and smash apostles to death with her?

No, Casca is gonna kill apostles and evil spirits with her bare hands.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Begemot posted:

No, Casca is gonna kill apostles and evil spirits with her bare hands.

That’s hardly incompatible with her being swung around by Guts while she’s doing that.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Darth Walrus posted:

That’s hardly incompatible with her being swung around by Guts while she’s doing that.

They'll flip around and use each other as it turns out we have another set of Berserker armor! Or I guess she gets something made by elves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

casca does this while being swung around:

if Griffith gets killed its his own fault