Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Any input on my Animar morph themed deck: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-12-17-animar-morph/?cb=1519882817

Hadrana's climb and immortal sun are probably on the chopping block, but I just got them in some packs, so want to try them out at least. I also do want to keep a certain amount of morph creatures in it to keep it on theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

checkplease posted:

Any input on my Animar morph themed deck: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-12-17-animar-morph/?cb=1519882817

Hadrana's climb and immortal sun are probably on the chopping block, but I just got them in some packs, so want to try them out at least. I also do want to keep a certain amount of morph creatures in it to keep it on theme.

You are using the wrong morph creatures. You have basically no mana and everything in your deck is hungry for it. Like, you have Lifecrafter's Bestiary, but when would you ever have the G to spare for it? You should be dumping a bunch of fat morph dudes in play and then using some sort of mass flicker to flip them for free or going real hard on the pickles combo to lock people out. Either way, you need some shuffles and tutors to really capitalize on Vizier, and could probably use a storm card or two to combo off with Ancestral statue.

Just to give you an idea, :f5: this a bit and tell me if you ever see a hand that does anything: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-12-17-animar-morph/draw/

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 1, 2018

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
The filter lands coming back are great, but also remember that you need colored mana in order to power them. Sometimes they make your manabase a little iffy (as noted in my Beckett Brass deck).

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Toshimo posted:

You are using the wrong morph creatures. You have basically no mana and everything in your deck is hungry for it. Like, you have Lifecrafter's Bestiary, but when would you ever have the G to spare for it? You should be dumping a bunch of fat morph dudes in play and then using some sort of mass flicker to flip them for free or going real hard on the pickles combo to lock people out. Either way, you need some shuffles and tutors to really capitalize on Vizier, and could probably use a storm card or two to combo off with Ancestral statue.

Just to give you an idea, :f5: this a bit and tell me if you ever see a hand that does anything: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-12-17-animar-morph/draw/

Wow, didnt even know tapped out had that draw hand feature. You are right, the deck does need more mana sources. If I can get animar out, the morphs become free quickly and its easier to flip them, but yeah without him, they do slow a lot.
The flicker/fat morph is probably more effective, but I find the gotcha morph cards more fun. Still I think I will cut some for some ramp.

What are the storm finishers, grapeshot?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Is non-Aetherflux Storm even reasonable in EDH?

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Matsuri posted:

Storm decks play mind's desire but it's technically not a win outlet, it just pretty much guarantees you get to something else with a sufficiently high storm count

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I tried Mind's Desire for a while in my Kess deck until I realized it's quite possibly one of the most tedious things ever. Build up a storm count and... reveal. Shuffle. Reveal. Shuffle. Reveal. Shuffle. Reveal. Shuffle. Reveal. Shuffle. Repeat until you find something useful.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

superstepa posted:

Storm decks play mind's desire but it's technically not a win outlet, it just pretty much guarantees you get to something else with a sufficiently high storm count

If you can get to a point where storm is 8*remaining opponents, Desire with only a Beacon of Destruction in your library is a win condition but that's an edge case for most decks.

Matsuri posted:

I tried Mind's Desire for a while in my Kess deck until I realized it's quite possibly one of the most tedious things ever. Build up a storm count and... reveal. Shuffle. Reveal. Shuffle. Reveal. Shuffle. Reveal. Shuffle. Reveal. Shuffle. Repeat until you find something useful.

Playing Desire in extended PTQs a decade ago, I never had an opponent turn me down when I asked if they were ok with me not shuffling between copies unless I played a Brainstorm or something else that affected library order.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I have a friend who built a deck that could do something like 300 damage off of a resolved dragonstorm for 5 or 6. I forget the exact package because he took the deck apart awhile ago, but it was something like Scourge of the Throne, Scourge of Valkas, Utvara Hellkite, Dragonlord Kolaghan, and I think something else.

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Playing Desire in extended PTQs a decade ago, I never had an opponent turn me down when I asked if they were ok with me not shuffling between copies unless I played a Brainstorm or something else that affected library order.

Yeah, this is how you actually play with Mind's Desire.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's a little different when you've played with people who consider storm to be degenerate and tell you to play it out properly in hopes that you fizzle and merely out of spite.

(in fairness, I've done that too, because we played with a guy who forgot the win condition to the Gitrog deck he was borrowing and literally took 45 minutes goldfishing his deck for a wincon one turn, failing, passing the turn, and taking another hour the next turn, only to become clearly stuck but still be all "you all can just concede". The other 3 of us said "demonstrate your wincon, rear end in a top hat" and he ended up losing to his own durdling by decking himself out.)

Framboise fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 1, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Matsuri posted:

You could do it with like Animar or something that goes infinite, and I want to believe that you could do some dumb turning mans sideways with Empty or Hunting Pack, but those aren't good, no.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Matsuri posted:

It's a little different when you've played with people who consider storm to be degenerate and tell you to play it out properly in hopes that you fizzle and merely out of spite.

Get a better play group.

Alternatively, show them something truly degenerate.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Get a better play group.

Alternatively, show them something truly degenerate.

I've actually kind of skipped out on playing EDH as of late because I don't currently have a play group I enjoy playing with.

And what kind of degenerate are we talking? MLD? Zur?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Matsuri posted:

I've actually kind of skipped out on playing EDH as of late because I don't currently have a play group I enjoy playing with.

And what kind of degenerate are we talking? MLD? Zur?

Teferi/Gitrog/Zur all good. Thrasios/Tymna.

Or, basically anything that wins off Flash Hulk, Lab Maniac, Doomsday.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Toshimo posted:

I've been meaning to thank you for that Krenko list you posted a while back. It's surprisingly stable at being hated on in 3 player games. Thank god for that Imperial Recruiter reprint!

What do you believe is the most competitive EDH that doesn't run blue?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

midge posted:

I've been meaning to thank you for that Krenko list you posted a while back. It's surprisingly stable at being hated on in 3 player games. Thank god for that Imperial Recruiter reprint!

What do you believe is the most competitive EDH that doesn't run blue?

Gitrog, Tana/Tymna, Kess, maybe Sisay and Grenzo.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

I may build Zur someday. I already have like, 90% of everything I'd need.

Like, the only cards I don't have that I see a lot of high-tier decks running are Flusterstorm/Mana Drain, LED, and ABUR duals/some of the more expensive fetches. If I REALLY wanted to, I could liquidate some of my trade binder for an LED so doomsday actually works well, Flusterstorm ain't bad anymore, I can manage without Mana Drain, and I can manage with more pain lands instead of the pricey lands.

EDIT: I guess I don't have Mox Opal or Diamond either...

Toshimo posted:

Gitrog, Tana/Tymna, Kess, maybe Sisay and Grenzo.

Kess is blue.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 1, 2018

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I don't understand. Why wouldn't you run blue?

I'm down to four decks now and only one doesn't have blue (Chain Veil Teferi, Shimmer Zur, Tasigur, and Yisan).

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Aranan posted:

Personal preference/style, mixed with the overwhelming need to have the best land base for the deck (and not wanting to pay the Blue tax).

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Aranan posted:

I'm down to four decks now and only one doesn't have blue (Chain Veil Teferi, Shimmer Zur, Tasigur, and Yisan).

I once built a deck without blue. It was a mistake.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Even if it's not the most competitive deck, I still firmly stand by the fact that my Queen Marchesa deck is the most fun I've ever had playing this stupid expensive wizard poker game. Since then I've been quite fond of Mardu colors.

On the other hand, the majority of what makes the deck fun is black and black is my favorite magic color so it's like being able to play with the few fun Boros and Rakdos cards in existence while still being a good deck

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Gitrog is a really solid deck and pretty much all the expensive stuff will slot into most other commander decks running black if you decide you want a change later on.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Matsuri posted:

Even if it's not the most competitive deck, I still firmly stand by the fact that my Queen Marchesa deck is the most fun I've ever had playing this stupid expensive wizard poker game. Since then I've been quite fond of Mardu colors.

On the other hand, the majority of what makes the deck fun is black and black is my favorite magic color so it's like being able to play with the few fun Boros and Rakdos cards in existence while still being a good deck

Black is a lot like blue but everything costs 2 life.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

hoobajoo posted:

Greatness, at any cost.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Wurzag posted:

Gitrog is a really solid deck and pretty much all the expensive stuff will slot into most other commander decks running black if you decide you want a change later on.

Gitrog really wants a Bazaar, though,which even a beat to hell one with set you back $800.

And by wants, I mean it's probably one of the biggest winrate cards in your deck, not wants like Teferi wants Timetwister.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

Gitrog really wants a Bazaar, though,which even a beat to hell one with set you back $800.

And by wants, I mean it's probably one of the biggest winrate cards in your deck, not wants like Teferi wants Timetwister.

Toshimo posted:

Greatness, at any cost.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Toshimo posted:

The deck is fine without bazaar. There is no reason to exclude it other than budget but it's not essential to the combo, it's just a really good value card. There aren't many examples of super expensive cards being crucial to the core list outside of things like candelabra in high tide storm and timetwister in decks that win with twister loops

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Toshimo posted:

[Lots of great suggestions]
Basically, cut your curve so that Time Walks are at the top, get rid of CipT lands, cut cute stuff for better tutors/draw, and add some stax stuff like Tangle Wire and Stasis that you can make asymmetrical.

Thanks, I like what you put here, and it shouldn't be too expensive to make a big upgrade right away, even without committing to the >~$20 stuff I don't have already. Cursed Totem looks especially spicy and not something I had considered previously.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

hoobajoo posted:

Black is basically every color with a sacrifice drawback

That's why it's the best color

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Toshimo posted:

Greatness, at any cost.

Is dark confidant playable in any decks? I have had one in a binder for a long time.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

checkplease posted:

Is dark confidant playable in any decks? I have had one in a binder for a long time.

I use one in my Mardu Stax deck. (Of course the average CMC is about 1.2.) It combos great with Chains of Mephistopheles. :v:

https://deckbox.org/sets/1858696

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

checkplease posted:

He is incredible but you do need a fairly slim deck (~2 avg cmc) so he tends to only be played in the more competitive decks

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
What is the current default Gitrog list? I like my big old frog, and while it isn't built for the T3 win it's still a lot of fun.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PJOmega posted:

What is the current default Gitrog list? I like my big old frog, and while it isn't built for the T3 win it's still a lot of fun.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gitrog-land-combo/

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I enjoy that Gitrog can win off of recurring the cleanup step a whole bunch of times to mill your deck and then start stacking Eldrazi triggers.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Proxy all reserve list cards. If wizards doesn't want to sell you a bazaar of bagdad, then gently caress em.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Proxy all reserve list cards. If wizards doesn't want to sell you a bazaar of bagdad, then gently caress em.

You wouldn't download a Moat.

(actually for maximum foiling reasons I'm going to go with Magus)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

As someone who has sold a lot of reserve list cards I support this. The game is dumb to have pieces that will never be made again for a living game.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I'm ok with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The only EDH legal reserve list cards I don’t own are Bazaar and Timetwister. I’m dumb and have bought some expensive poo poo, but I’m nowhere close to going $800+ expensive.