Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

GrandpaPants posted:

It got a lot of good initial buzz since the circles thing let you organize your friends in various ways. But then Facebook integrated all those features within itself, so RIP Google+.

I’m assuming there are actual Google People in here who would know, but I’ve always imagined the real point of Google+ was getting people to make explicit declarations about themselves and then eating that data. And then convincing every site in the world to put a “Add is on Google+” widget so they could eat even more data. That it was a social network seemed completely incidental to what they were getting out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Trevor Hale posted:

I’m assuming there are actual Google People in here who would know, but I’ve always imagined the real point of Google+ was getting people to make explicit declarations about themselves and then eating that data. And then convincing every site in the world to put a “Add is on Google+” widget so they could eat even more data. That it was a social network seemed completely incidental to what they were getting out of it.

Getting data is the end goal of everything google does but I think the more direct and obvious reason for google+ was google owning like 20 different services that all had the exact same duplicated functionality. So at some point someone asked why they had separate code bases for the comments under a blogger post and under a youtube video and under a shared image gallery, so they took the extremely reasonable step to unify all that stuff into one system. Their mistake was making their internal change to one code base into also a public facing social network that didn't matter. All the public facing integration to google plus is gone now but you can still tell that all the internal change to have all the services share the same look and feel and behavior has stuck around.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/27/17054740/palantir-predictive-policing-tool-new-orleans-nopd

quote:

The company provided software to a secretive NOPD program that traced people’s ties to other gang members, outlined criminal histories, analyzed social media, and predicted the likelihood that individuals would commit violence or become a victim. As part of the discovery process in Lewis’ trial, the government turned over more than 60,000 pages of documents detailing evidence gathered against him from confidential informants, ballistics, and other sources — but they made no mention of the NOPD’s partnership with Palantir, according to a source familiar with the 39ers trial.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Trevor Hale posted:

I wasn't at Google back when they launched but apparently around that time getting an offer from Facebook was a surefire way to get a very generous counteroffer from Google. I think Google just viewed Facebook as a massive threat and wanted to try to beat them at their own game.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

MiddleOne posted:

On the Swedish stock market this was the norm decades before it was cool. Best current example is H&M which is being ran into the ground by its incompetent crown prince as the market watches on in horror. :sweden:

I wish to know more about this, please

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Not a Children posted:

I wish to know more about this, please

I don't know much about H&M in particular, but the Swedish rules for publicly traded corporations have allowed multi-class stock since essentially forever. Since 1944 there is a restriction though that a second class share (typically called a "B-share") cannot be worth less than 1/10th of the votes of a first class share ("A-share") at the annual shareholder's meeting. Some companies also have even weaker C-shares which usually only have 1/1000th of a vote - probably grandfathered in, I don't think you can do that for a new company today. Each share at least on paper represents an equal share of the capital, but the A-shares sometimes have a lower market value because they're far less traded. A pretty large majority of the public large cap Swedish companies have their stock set up in this way - other than H&M, companies like Electrolux, Ericsson, Assa Abloy, Atlas Copco, Volvo, Husqvarna, SKF, Saab, Skanska etc etc all do it. Some of those were founded in the 19th century and have AFAIK always been like that for as long as they have been public. In most cases both the A- and B-shares are publicly traded, but sometimes (like in the case of H&M) the A-share is effectively not publicly traded at all.

I think it's something of a corporativist heritage (the 20th century social democrats were totally fine with wealthy capitalist magnates as long as they treated their workers decently) and it of course benefits capitalist dynasties. The EU doesn't like it though and there has been talk about regulating it away for decades now.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 1, 2018

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Uber launches Uber Health, a B2B ride-hailing platform for healthcare

quote:

Uber’s launching a new business line called Uber Health on Thursday that will provide a ride-hailing platform available specifically to healthcare providers, letting clinics, hospitals, rehab centers and more easily assign rides for their patients and clients from a centralized dashboard – without requiring that the rider even have the Uber app, or a smartphone.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

who is supposed to think the rapid spinoff of so many tangential and unrelated business lines from uber is a positive sign and not a desperate one? i thought uber freight was a stupid idea but drat

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

who is supposed to think the rapid spinoff of so many tangential and unrelated business lines from uber is a positive sign and not a desperate one? i thought uber freight was a stupid idea but drat

It's not really a spinoff or anything new. Doctors offices already will call you a taxi if grandma has a checkup but can't drive, it's just a way to do that without making grandma download apps. It's not some new public facing service or anything, you won't be signing into uber health to get an ambulance or something, it's just the regular old stuff every taxi company does to get people to medical appointments that uber couldn't do because there is no non kludgy way to order rides for someone else and keep a professional record on doing that.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Cicero posted:

I wasn't at Google back when they launched but apparently around that time getting an offer from Facebook was a surefire way to get a very generous counteroffer from Google. I think Google just viewed Facebook as a massive threat and wanted to try to beat them at their own game.

I believe that too, and given where Facebook is with advertising revenue, that fear was justified.

At the time Google+ was launched I was an exec (CCO) of a mobile game publisher. There were several issues that mystified me.

1. Zynga had an exclusive with Facebook on some of their games, but Google had ZERO interest in working with publishers to publish alternatives on Google+. I had meetings at Casual Connect with "Ian" and others and it felt like they didn't care about games.

2. There was NO API (at launch and for some time afterward) to access the Social Graph for games and other apps.

... and the biggie.

3. No Google+ mobile app (for years). It's as if Android didn't even exist in the minds of the Google+ team. Not to mention that Google was also a leading publisher on iOS.

My guess is that the company was serious "stove-piped" at the time. Examples include the lack of coordination between the Chromebook and the Android teams.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

VideoGameVet posted:

I believe that too, and given where Facebook is with advertising revenue, that fear was justified.

At the time Google+ was launched I was an exec (CCO) of a mobile game publisher. There were several issues that mystified me.

1. Zynga had an exclusive with Facebook on some of their games, but Google had ZERO interest in working with publishers to publish alternatives on Google+. I had meetings at Casual Connect with "Ian" and others and it felt like they didn't care about games.

2. There was NO API (at launch and for some time afterward) to access the Social Graph for games and other apps.

... and the biggie.

3. No Google+ mobile app (for years). It's as if Android didn't even exist in the minds of the Google+ team. Not to mention that Google was also a leading publisher on iOS.

My guess is that the company was serious "stove-piped" at the time. Examples include the lack of coordination between the Chromebook and the Android teams.

all three of these seem like pretty major oversights to me, a dumb user.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

suck my woke dick posted:

all three of these seem like pretty major oversights to me, a dumb user.

We can't grasp the genius of the executives who made these decisions. We're not worthy to question their superior wisdom.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VideoGameVet posted:

Examples include the lack of coordination between the Chromebook and the Android teams.

There is still no reason for Chrome OS to exist, since it turned out Android did get popular on smartphones and there was no need for the browser-only backup platform.

Google needs to just admit Chrome OS is a failed idea, update the Android Chrome version to have full extension/etc parity with the desktop version, and just ship the same devices running Android. They're already half-rear end doing that by making Chrome OS devices run Android apps anyway.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's not really a spinoff or anything new. Doctors offices already will call you a taxi if grandma has a checkup but can't drive, it's just a way to do that without making grandma download apps. It's not some new public facing service or anything, you won't be signing into uber health to get an ambulance or something, it's just the regular old stuff every taxi company does to get people to medical appointments that uber couldn't do because there is no non kludgy way to order rides for someone else and keep a professional record on doing that.

except with even less background checks on who's driving grandma

i wonder how many seeing eye dogs will enjoy the spacious trunk accomodations of uber health vehicles...

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

fishmech posted:

There is still no reason for Chrome OS to exist, since it turned out Android did get popular on smartphones and there was no need for the browser-only backup platform.

Google needs to just admit Chrome OS is a failed idea, update the Android Chrome version to have full extension/etc parity with the desktop version, and just ship the same devices running Android. They're already half-rear end doing that by making Chrome OS devices run Android apps anyway.

This is one area where I think Google got it right.

Chromebooks won in the educational markets. They are ubiquitous in classrooms.

In 2010 I was hawking a plan to launch an educational software company to launch apps on iPads with a evolution to management stuff for the classroom. Instead, I closed a poker license deal and ended up selling a social game company and taking a position as a CCO of the NewCo.

I thought Apple would own the K-12 market, but Chromebooks won. Easy to admin. Companies like Powerschool and Age Of Learning have done quite well here.

I bought a decent 15" Chromebook for a daughter in grad school and with Google Docs (which I love) it's totally adequate.

The problem is more, in my opinion, that Android didn't support the Chrome web apps properly. They should have been encapsulated and offered on Play.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

VideoGameVet posted:

We can't grasp the genius of the executives who made these decisions. We're not worthy to question their superior wisdom.
This superior wisdom firmly believes in being name dropped to attract talent.

Recruiter posted:

Hope you are doing well.

I head up a recruiting firm here in the Bay Area and have been asked by Mountain View based AliveCor to help them land a site reliability engineer.

Heart disease is the #1 killer in the Western world; this is a meaningful company looking to provide simple, innovative ways to diagnose afib and provide data to the medical community to ultimately solve this concern. The Mayo Clinic invested $30M into the company last year.

Alivecor creates mobile products and Watch accessories that allow you to take an instant EKG through an FDA approved device. They have tremendous value in all the data they have--one of the more interesting aspects of the company.

In late 2015, Vic Gundotra, who headed up social at Google, believed in the mission so much, he came out of retirement to run the company. Vic brought two other executives from Google with him. Alivecor’s founder is an MD—this is an amazing team in the intersection of consumer products, big data, AI and health.

In this role, we're looking for someone with
...Script-Fu (Python, Go or bash preferred)
...Experience administering Linux systems
...Knowledge of various SQL and NoSQL datastores (Postgres, AWS Aurora, preferred)
...Experience in cloud infrastructure (AWS preferred)

Any interest? I'd love to tell you more!
Yeah, I'll pass.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VideoGameVet posted:

This is one area where I think Google got it right.

Chromebooks won in the educational markets. They are ubiquitous in classrooms.

That's quite a bit of an exaggeration, there's tons of classrooms that use Windows or whatever. But Chrome OS itself contributes none of the appeal - if Google simply stopped gimping the Android version of Chrome, running Android instead of their other custom Linux distribution behind Chrome OS would work just as well. It really seems like the ongoing existence of Chrome OS is tied into some executive not wanting to give up a fiefdom, as I said before it should have been folded into the Android umbrella long ago - this was obvious even at the point when the Cr-48s were starting to be issued long ago before there were commercial Chromebooks.

As to this:

VideoGameVet posted:

I thought Apple would own the K-12 market, but Chromebooks won.

Apple simply refused to offer products at low enough prices to matter, even with the educational discounts. Sure, a lot of places got grants of donated iPads and Macbooks in the day directly, and some still do, but for a typical school that is just spending money it's not competitive pricewise.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/GuardianUS/status/969394792244416512

so yeah, turns out uber's business model is not good for workers :monocle:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

fishmech posted:

It really seems like the ongoing existence of Chrome OS is tied into some executive not wanting to give up a fiefdom, as I said before it should have been folded into the Android umbrella long ago.

The Chrome OS and Android teams are run by the same exec, So that seems pretty unlikely. As the other poster said, they do huge education business - more than any other platform - with with chrome OS platform too:

quote:

In 2016, mobile devices running Alphabet Inc's Google’s Chrome operating system accounted for 58 percent of the U.S. market for primary and secondary schools, according to Futuresource Consulting.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-microsoft-education-competition-idUKKBN17Z01R

With regards to folding it into the Android platform, the opposite is happening - android tablets (which if we're honest have always been largely poo poo from anyone other than Google or Samsung) are all getting replaced with Chromebooks and Chrome tablets that run android apps just fine but have a decent web browser and battery life.

Then you've got all the people using Chromeboxes for POS systems and kiosks, plus the Hardware version of Google Hangouts that Google sells into businesses is ChromeOS based.

It's fair enough to personally not like a platform but pretty much everything you asserted is incorrect.

blunt fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 2, 2018

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Speaking of G+ excess whitespace, I hated the Google News redesign, but alas I am a lowly stonecutter and not a design expert so my and other similar feedback was ignored.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You should have joined the No Homers.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Paolomania posted:

Speaking of G+ excess whitespace, I hated the Google News redesign, but alas I am a lowly stonecutter and not a design expert so my and other similar feedback was ignored.

Yeah you need to make 200k+ and have way to much free time to get erect at the design choices made by similarly well paid people and/or unpaid interns.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

That's quite a bit of an exaggeration, there's tons of classrooms that use Windows or whatever. But Chrome OS itself contributes none of the appeal - if Google simply stopped gimping the Android version of Chrome, running Android instead of their other custom Linux distribution behind Chrome OS would work just as well. It really seems like the ongoing existence of Chrome OS is tied into some executive not wanting to give up a fiefdom, as I said before it should have been folded into the Android umbrella long ago - this was obvious even at the point when the Cr-48s were starting to be issued long ago before there were commercial Chromebooks.

As someone who manages 1000+ of chromebooks in schools I can say you are absolutely wrong and chromeOS unique cloud based design is extremely appealing to schools and blows anything else out of the water for most tasks. Nothing else compares to the dumb terminal style of a chrome book where each kid simply has an account and all their programs and settings and desktop simply instantly appear on whatever computer they are using that second. Both from the perspective of the kid where they can use 4 different computers and have a consistent experience and from the perspective of the school where when some new standardized test comes out they can just one click add it to every computer without the complexity or overhead of doing some MDM package install on a mac or some group policy on windows.

Moving to android where all the data is stored locally and all the installs are actual installs would be a massive step backwards. The chromeOS where everything is purely account based and totally ephemeral is extremely useful in a school situation where the location, user and role of each computer is constantly shifting at the same time that the computer assigned to the student is always changing (a 2nd grade might not have 1:1 yet, a 8th grader might spill glitter water in their keyboard, a 6th grader graduates to be a 7th grader every year, a 1:1 shelf of computers might just be 'grab whichever" and not assigned to a student specifically, a computer in special ed might be used by each student that comes in and leaves, a class of computers might be replaced entirely with newer computers, etc etc etc). having literally everything on the cloud is a huge huge advantage over android and moving to android would be garbage. Currently at any of the schools only the oldest grades ever have local storage computers (macs) on some idea they needed 'real' computers and that as a decision is making less and less sense and right now holds on solely on "macs are better at video editing and we have a good video editing curriculum for the older kids"

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Everyone I know who has/has used a Chromebook is really happy with it. They're really good at what they do and as long as you know what you're getting they are nice

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A big problem with unicorns is that tech people seem to be really bad at judging things by use cases and accepting something can be really good at one thing but not at everything.

A bit tricky I suppose given kinda the reason smartphones took off so hard is because they do a little bit of everything; not well, but enough that they can substitute for pretty much anything as long as you're not getting too in-depth.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Another Theranos-but-for-education
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/world/australia/school-tech-lumineer-academy-susan-wu.html

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Futures markets for crime looking awful dystopian.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I would bet a lot of money that that NOPD-Planatir relationship started with a just-maybe-technically-legal kickback or two.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pangstrom posted:

I would bet a lot of money that that NOPD-Planatir relationship started with a just-maybe-technically-legal kickback or two.

It involves Louisiana so that probability is somewhere north of 100%.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Paolomania posted:

Can I just piggyback on this to express my loathing for the Google Calendar redesign, which I am no longer able to defer?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

blunt posted:

The Chrome OS and Android teams are run by the same exec, So that seems pretty unlikely. As the other poster said, they do huge education business - more than any other platform - with with chrome OS platform too:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-microsoft-education-competition-idUKKBN17Z01R

With regards to folding it into the Android platform, the opposite is happening - android tablets (which if we're honest have always been largely poo poo from anyone other than Google or Samsung) are all getting replaced with Chromebooks and Chrome tablets that run android apps just fine but have a decent web browser and battery life.

Then you've got all the people using Chromeboxes for POS systems and kiosks, plus the Hardware version of Google Hangouts that Google sells into businesses is ChromeOS based.

It's fair enough to personally not like a platform but pretty much everything you asserted is incorrect.

You're not understanding. Literally everything Chrome OS does could be done on Android so long as Google deigned to allow full-on Chrome to run on Android, which they still don't allow. There's no special thing about Android itself that prevents that, there's nothing special about the random bare-bones Linux distro underlying the Chrome Browser which makes Chrome OS uniquely able to do it.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Moving to android where all the data is stored locally and all the installs are actual installs would be a massive step backwards.

Just hcopping out the rest of your bullshit, but there is absolutely no reason that using Android would require all data to be stored locally. Your complaints are bizarre. It's in fact very easy to use Android devices with everything in your applications stored remotely for the primary storage and your local storage just used to cache things.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

hobbesmaster posted:

It involves Louisiana so that probability is somewhere north of 100%.
Yeah, I mean it could happen anywhere but NOPD needs 20 rounds of reform to work it's way up to average.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

fishmech posted:

It's far easier and cheaper to admin a bunch of Chromebooks than say. tablets running Android.

Chromebook priced laptops running Android would have the same admin workload as say, Macbooks.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

As someone who manages 1000+ of chromebooks in schools I can say you are absolutely wrong and chromeOS unique cloud based design is extremely appealing to schools and blows anything else out of the water for most tasks. Nothing else compares to the dumb terminal style of a chrome book where each kid simply has an account and all their programs and settings and desktop simply instantly appear on whatever computer they are using that second. Both from the perspective of the kid where they can use 4 different computers and have a consistent experience and from the perspective of the school where when some new standardized test comes out they can just one click add it to every computer without the complexity or overhead of doing some MDM package install on a mac or some group policy on windows.

Moving to android where all the data is stored locally and all the installs are actual installs would be a massive step backwards. The chromeOS where everything is purely account based and totally ephemeral is extremely useful in a school situation where the location, user and role of each computer is constantly shifting at the same time that the computer assigned to the student is always changing (a 2nd grade might not have 1:1 yet, a 8th grader might spill glitter water in their keyboard, a 6th grader graduates to be a 7th grader every year, a 1:1 shelf of computers might just be 'grab whichever" and not assigned to a student specifically, a computer in special ed might be used by each student that comes in and leaves, a class of computers might be replaced entirely with newer computers, etc etc etc). having literally everything on the cloud is a huge huge advantage over android and moving to android would be garbage. Currently at any of the schools only the oldest grades ever have local storage computers (macs) on some idea they needed 'real' computers and that as a decision is making less and less sense and right now holds on solely on "macs are better at video editing and we have a good video editing curriculum for the older kids"

Better said than I. Thank you.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

You're not understanding. Literally everything Chrome OS does could be done on Android so long as Google deigned to allow full-on Chrome to run on Android, which they still don't allow. There's no special thing about Android itself that prevents that, there's nothing special about the random bare-bones Linux distro underlying the Chrome Browser which makes Chrome OS uniquely able to do it.

The same gentoo linux kernel runs both chromeOS and android, but they are different shells over the same kernel that have different philosophies for different uses. A phone or tablet uses android and is touch centric and local storage centric with low power requirements and cell phone style network connections, and chrome is a desktop OS made for cheap laptops that use cloud services.

Like, you seem to be imagining some system where google only has one OS that is customized for phones and for laptops and that literally is what google does with linux on it's two platforms right this second. They just have different UIs/design philosophy/use cases/etc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VideoGameVet posted:

It's far easier and cheaper to admin a bunch of Chromebooks than say. tablets running Android.

Because Google has been splitting effort for no good reason. There is, again, absolutely no reason that Google couldn't have spent the past 7 years setting up all the features Chrome OS now has in Android instead, especially since the vast majority just happen through Chrome itself, which they refuse to have in full on Android for no good reason.

VideoGameVet posted:

Chromebook priced laptops running Android would have the same admin workload as say, Macbooks.

There is no reason to think this would be the case.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The same gentoo linux kernel runs both chromeOS and android,

You have no idea what you're talking about. ChromeOS does not run Gentoo derivations of the Linux kernel for over 5 years now, and Android definitely doesn't run Gentoo derivations of the Linux kernel.

This is why it's safe to ignore all your drivel.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So terminals are actually are thing that's not utter poo poo now. Boy that took a while.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

As someone who manages 1000+ of chromebooks in schools I can say you are absolutely wrong and chromeOS unique cloud based design is extremely appealing to schools and blows anything else out of the water for most tasks.
My school used to run a dedicated server (the long rackmount looking one, not a G2 aluminum tower or whatever) just to handle student accounts and whatever monitor minder Apple sold in 2008.

Most of that's been replaced with Chromebooks, because fuuuuuuuuuuck the gnashing of teeth when the Apple server was down or needed maintenance or could only give kids 100 megs of storage or the internet was spotty and no one could log on. Plus the cost of having to update the laptop collection every 4+ years was staggering.
It does get a little spotty when the kids need to do sound/video editing. For that, iMovie is just way easier for them to get a handle on.

The School District went all-in on iPads, and Apple was all too happy to sell them but not actually keen on using the experience to beta any kind of education account setup or software. So kids literally disabled the weaksauce limits on the machines within the day they were issued by, like, deleting a setting or something dumb.

I really can't stress the absolute stupidity of Apple here, because their inability to treat these as anything other than off-the-shelf personal tablets pretty much cost them an enormous captive market.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

My school used to run a dedicated server (the long rackmount looking one, not a G2 aluminum tower or whatever) just to handle student accounts and whatever monitor minder Apple sold in 2008.

Most of that's been replaced with Chromebooks, because fuuuuuuuuuuck the gnashing of teeth when the Apple server was down or needed maintenance or could only give kids 100 megs of storage or the internet was spotty and no one could log on. Plus the cost of having to update the laptop collection every 4+ years was staggering.
It does get a little spotty when the kids need to do sound/video editing. For that, iMovie is just way easier for them to get a handle on.

The School District went all-in on iPads, and Apple was all too happy to sell them but not actually keen on using the experience to beta any kind of education account setup or software. So kids literally disabled the weaksauce limits on the machines within the day they were issued by, like, deleting a setting or something dumb.

I really can't stress the absolute stupidity of Apple here, because their inability to treat these as anything other than off-the-shelf personal tablets pretty much cost them an enormous captive market.

This is been a recurring theme with Apple for decades. In the 1990's I was at quite possibly the largest educational software (for schools) in history. We started with Apple settop boxes (British Telecom was the cable co. using them) and MPEG equipped Mac's (this was 1994 so software MPEG wasn't ready). In 1995 Apple says (mind you, we had spent $60m on curriculum by then):

"Apple is not in the business to build machines for Lightspan".

So we just switched to the Playstation. IPO in 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Paolomania posted:

Can't filter by date, making the search function worthless. Absolute garbage.

I just know there was some QA person at Google with that exact ticket and he had to listen to people smarm at him for hours about how, no, actually people don't want to look for news articles that came out longer than a week ago.