Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Staltran posted:

That's not coincidental: Gateway construction requires mega-engineering. Do you have citadels? Mega-engineering needs that now (in addition to battleships and zero point power). If you have the pre-reqs, make sure you've got a voidcraft guy, maniac, or curator researching engineering. Both voidborn and master builders also double the weight, but you probably don't want to use an ascension perk on them if you weren't already planning to. And of course, if you can get your hands on a ruined megastructure that would multiply the weight by 20, but you probably don't have one of those nearby. e: Also once you do get mega engineering, gateway construction has a 0.1 weight multiplier if the engineering scientist isn't a particle expert, a genius, a curator, or a maniac.

I finally got mega-engineering to pop up. And yeah, I had all the pre-req techs and a curator on engineer research for well over a century before getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
In my most recent game, autosurvey showed up in the 5th tech for physics. So easy to grab it then.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

hlep

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Goodie.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So does psionics work if you have a true multicultural empire? As in if I chose the accession perk will it only activate for my original species or will it count for every species that resides in my empire?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

IAmTheRad posted:

In my most recent game, autosurvey showed up in the 5th tech for physics. So easy to grab it then.
I come from the 2.0 technology files to say:

Autosurvey has no prerequisites and the second highest possible weighting. You can't roll it below year 5, normal roll from 5 to 9, and it gets a stacking 2x modifer at year 10, 15, and 20. Also, someone was very smart and put a 1.25 multiplier in if you've unlocked the Discovery tree. So yeah, it shows up way earlier now. I think I got it third roll last time

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there a way to make a Spectre gently caress off before I have the technology or money to throw tens of thousands of fleet power at it (unless they're weaker than I'm assuming based on my other Leviathan experiences)? I really want to go to war but he's just flying around the border between me and my chosen enemy so I can't actually move in.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hunt11 posted:

So does psionics work if you have a true multicultural empire? As in if I chose the accession perk will it only activate for my original species or will it count for every species that resides in my empire?

Just for your original species, and you can set the other species rights to assimilation to make them psionic, but they will not produce anything and be unhappy until the process is complete, and the process completes at a rate of about 4 pops a year, I think.

So, not great. On the bright side I've discovered in my current game as a psionic materialist empire that the ethics attraction from psionic technologies and powers isn't actually particularly strong and you totally can have a society that thinks that astral projection is just another branch of mundane science. I always assumed it'd start pulling you super strongly towards spiritualism, but not so. I guess I'm the Athar of this galaxy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Reveilled posted:

Just for your original species, and you can set the other species rights to assimilation to make them psionic, but they will not produce anything and be unhappy until the process is complete, and the process completes at a rate of about 4 pops a year, I think.

So, not great. On the bright side I've discovered in my current game as a psionic materialist empire that the ethics attraction from psionic technologies and powers isn't actually particularly strong and you totally can have a society that thinks that astral projection is just another branch of mundane science. I always assumed it'd start pulling you super strongly towards spiritualism, but not so. I guess I'm the Athar of this galaxy.
Every so often some guy goes "I wonder if this is like... more magic than science, y'know?" and everyone else just rolls their eyes and throws stuff at him.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
What's the point defense of choice now? Flak Cannons?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Does this happen because of the AI behavior where they give the colossus an order and then immediately cancel it over and over?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Reveilled posted:

Yeah for the first time ever my materialist empire got a psionic expert scientist from a random skill boost while surveying and it let me get a couple low level psionic techs, got +10% unity out of it so that's nice. Id still love to be able to interact with the shroud in some limited way as a materialist, maybe gain some little passive boost from it.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Spiritualists experience the shroud like King of the Dragon Pass Hero Quests, Materialists like they're God-Learners

(Paradox do this please)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gay Horney posted:

All the AI Empires I start next to seem to have very pretty filled in borders with only a handful of stations but I can't seem to get my poo poo to fill in. Is there a trick other than just spamming stations in the gaps to increase border growth?

Also I don't really have a good handle on what slavery does for me. Why would I want em?
You can build as many stations as you like, but they'll only show up on the map if they're upgraded or if they're in a location such as a system with a colonised planet or an enclave. What the AI is doing is slowly building new stations adjacent to their existing planets, and upgrading some of them. So you're looking at the map and seeing stations around planets or upgraded stations and not seeing all the little stations in between.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TalonDemonKing posted:

Endless Space 2 does this and it's pretty neat. Each planet has a set of anomolies that you can see, but can't probe until you have the correct 'curiosity' level, which is gained by researching techs. Hiding the amount of anomolies on a planet and allowing for re-scanning would be pretty good for discovery tradition, since you can get locked out of a ton of planets once you start meeting people.
I had originally said that it would be neat if we could do that in this game and Wiz actually posted and said that doing so was part of the initial design, but got dropped for time in Stellaris. I would really really like to see it added to Stellaris.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

Does this happen because of the AI behavior where they give the colossus an order and then immediately cancel it over and over?

i tag switched over to the fanatical purifer empire and it doesn't even have a colossus (which i kind of expected, given that it's only 2272)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah for the first time ever my materialist empire got a psionic expert scientist from a random skill boost while surveying and it let me get a couple low level psionic techs, got +10% unity out of it so that's nice. Id still love to be able to interact with the shroud in some limited way as a materialist, maybe gain some little passive boost from it.

If you get those techs, you can take the Psychic Ascension Path even as a materialist. I did it in my current playthrough.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

i tag switched over to the fanatical purifer empire and it doesn't even have a colossus (which i kind of expected, given that it's only 2272)

Yeah it definitely seems to be a bug.

Edit: Speaking of bugs, browsing the paradox forums it appears that all +range modifiers are broken and have been broken since before 2.0? That's... kinda bad. Going to influence what combat computers I use and what admirals I recruit anyway, if those things do literally nothing, and the +50% ranged uplink for defense stations is also useless.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 2, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Man, build fleet manager is really fucky on the beta. All my fleets think they are fully reinforced, but do infact miss a fair few ships that are lost in constant build ques that i cannot cancel. Hope they iron out the kinks soon.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dongattack posted:

Man, build fleet manager is really fucky on the beta. All my fleets think they are fully reinforced, but do infact miss a fair few ships that are lost in constant build ques that i cannot cancel. Hope they iron out the kinks soon.

Autoupgraded ships do not play nicely with the Fleet Manager. You will do better hand-designing if you want the Fleet Manager.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

ulmont posted:

Autoupgraded ships do not play nicely with the Fleet Manager. You will do better hand-designing if you want the Fleet Manager.

Ugh, that's too much micromanagement for me. Is there a way to delete the "fleet" status from a fleet without disbanding the ships and then make them into a new fleet? P sure i could reset the build que if that can be done.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

So with a Colossus you can no longer force vassalize people? That's dumb.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Ugh, that's too much micromanagement for me. Is there a way to delete the "fleet" status from a fleet without disbanding the ships and then make them into a new fleet? P sure i could reset the build que if that can be done.

You can take one fleet and separate out all ships of a type, etc., which will create a new fleet. Or you can just click on the fleet manager to reduce a type.

There are some definite bugs in the fleet manager to be worked out. What I have done is to take autogenerated designs and make an insignificant change before using those ships to build my fleets. Every so often, I create a new design based off the current state of autogenerated, delete the old one and upgrade. I find it easier than building fleets without the fleet manager.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Can someone please recommend a more or less up to date resource which lists possible AI personalities and the %-s and conditions for them to spawn? I am trying to create a bunch of custom races for my game and I dont want to accidentally lock the entire galaxy into permanent peace or war just because I made the races too similar or something.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

ulmont posted:

You can take one fleet and separate out all ships of a type, etc., which will create a new fleet. Or you can just click on the fleet manager to reduce a type.

There are some definite bugs in the fleet manager to be worked out. What I have done is to take autogenerated designs and make an insignificant change before using those ships to build my fleets. Every so often, I create a new design based off the current state of autogenerated, delete the old one and upgrade. I find it easier than building fleets without the fleet manager.

Hmm, okay, i'll try to fiddle with it. I'm not using autogenerated ships tho, i use my own templates. BUT i have the "auto-upgrade" checkbox ticked, i guess that's enough to confuse it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dongattack posted:

If you remove all but one ship from a template and click reinforce it should shunt all the other ships into a new fleet.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Hmm, okay, i'll try to fiddle with it. I'm not using autogenerated ships tho, i use my own templates. BUT i have the "auto-upgrade" checkbox ticked, i guess that's enough to confuse it.

Yeah, the auto-upgrade is where it all goes to hell.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

SirTagz posted:

Can someone please recommend a more or less up to date resource which lists possible AI personalities and the %-s and conditions for them to spawn? I am trying to create a bunch of custom races for my game and I dont want to accidentally lock the entire galaxy into permanent peace or war just because I made the races too similar or something.

The Wiki claims to be up to date on that front, although they may have ignored the weights leading to all the Slaving Despots until the bug was fixed:
https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/AI_personalities

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

ulmont posted:

Yeah, the auto-upgrade is where it all goes to hell.

Ok, it wasn't that bad to fix actually. I moved all the ships out into new separate fleets until i was left with the corvettes only in the original "fleet", if i tried to disband that from the fleet manager the game crashed, but just disbanding the ships the old way removed the fleet and i was able to fully reinforce the new one. Could probably just have left 1 corvette in there instead of scuttling 40 of them, but eeehhhhhh, lasy.

Thank you everyone!

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

So, I am finding that having battleships and corvettes is working well for me. I load the corvettes in 2 designs. The first is picket corvette with flak/autocannon x2. the 2nd is swarmer missile/autocannon. the battleships are set to artillery, with an all energy load out. The corvette swarm rips shields apart, allowing the big beams of the battleships to work as soon as possible on armor, the battleships are X bow, Large stern, carrier core, with auto cannons in the small slots, and flak point defenses.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Baronjutter posted:

You can actually fully interact with the shroud if you take the ascension perks, they're not connected to the ethics any more. I got my psionicist early enough that I took them on my empire, and now my psientists brave the shroud FOR SCIENCE.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

raverrn posted:

So with a Colossus you can no longer force vassalize people? That's dumb.

You could in 2.0.1 at least? Maybe the Total War cb overrides everything else if you have it? Try un-rivalling them maybe.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Drone_Fragger posted:

Really Wish that non-assimilating non-exterminating robot empires had a way to deal with non-robot populations that doesn't involve turning them into batteries or making them space refugees. I guess I need to unlock vassalisation and then turn my xeno inhabity planets into a vassal state?

Machines and Hiveminds Coexist

Gives machine empires access to meatbag-related policies so you can make them into slaves or citizens, not just energy. There's also a civic that starts you out with a small organic population to do with as you please (AI Integration) - note that this population currently starts out enslaved, so you need to change their rights ASAP.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

I have this exact problem except every empire around me has the cb against me and its only 2233 in my game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey so from what I've seen new patch is good, are there still any UI/balance issues that need to get patched? Also is the expansion worth getting full price?

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Also is the expansion worth getting full price?

Hmmm ... not really as such. But think for yourself in the long run what is better for you as a game player? Do you want to send a signal to Paradox that free expansions should no longer be the case? Because that is certainly a business decision they can still make.

Xmas Pterodactyl
Oct 22, 2007
I really don't get the new war score/war exhaustion system. The other changes to fleets and starbases are great, but the war scoring system seems to undermine that.

Is war score smaller the fewer claims you make? If so, I guess this prevents the player overreaching in response to a small war declared against them. I just had a rather strange war though

Enemy declares war and claims one system off me. I respond by setting 6 systems as my war goals.

But then:
  • I went head to head with the enemy fleet. I have two fleets of about 16k and 9k and enemy has one 23k fleet. I win the battle with the enemy retreating, yet it somehow gets counted as a defeat for me with a 1% war exhaustion penalty. Maybe I lost more ships? Maybe having 2 smaller fleets counted against me? I don't know
  • I take and occupy a few systems. The enemy retakes these through either inattention of myself or nipping back to repair my fleet. The enemy retaking these seems to count for about 10% war exhaustion against me each time, piling the war exhaustion high early on
  • I end up at 98% war exhaustion pretty quickly. Can the enemy force their claims on me if I hit 100% exhaustion? I ended up settling for a status quo 1 system claim off the enemy just in case.
I won almost every battle, but it doesnt feel like I won the war!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

War exhaustion is based on your losses as a percentage of fleet cap. The winner / loser is irrelevant and in fact removed in the latest beta patch.

If you hit 100 WE the other side can force you into a status quo peace.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Lake Effect posted:

Hmmm ... not really as such. But think for yourself in the long run what is better for you as a game player? Do you want to send a signal to Paradox that free expansions should no longer be the case? Because that is certainly a business decision they can still make.

Source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Should I be using this beta patch? Are there any killer bugs in it?