Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
A 24 hour clock is just better/easier to use

"caveat" "piggy back off of" and "free chicken" are Army terms I refuse to use though. I've actually only heard a CSM use behoove once, and that's the only time I've ever heard it in the Army.

caveat is particularly annoying because people in the Army never use it correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Yeah.

"Say again" is probably my worst thing that not only makes it very obvious, but also routinely confuses civilians who've never heard that term before and are wondering why two words they know got smashed together in a confusing way.

I never say this in passing or at work ever, but my wife does enjoy, though does not use, the phrase "soup sandwich." She just likes the visual picture of some dumbass trying to force a soup sandwich to work.

I don't use them often, but goatrope and clusterfuck work pretty well.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Caveat is retarded as gently caress in the army

"uh actually sir I just wanted to caveat off of that"

Orientated, stay in your lane, lean forward in the foxhole, pop smoke, get rodded off the range

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Oscar Mike Charley Mike repeat say again last station you this is me lick it before you stick it ma duece dress right dress parallel to the marching surface

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah.

"Say again" is probably my worst thing that not only makes it very obvious, but also routinely confuses civilians who've never heard that term before and are wondering why two words they know got smashed together in a confusing way.

I never say this in passing or at work ever, but my wife does enjoy, though does not use, the phrase "soup sandwich." She just likes the visual picture of some dumbass trying to force a soup sandwich to work.

I don't use them often, but goatrope and clusterfuck work pretty well.

My wife found "soup sandwich" extremely funny.

She uses it all the time now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also I'm glad the phrase "what had happened was" is so thoroughly ensconced in the army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX7rliyPF48

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i stopped using 24 hour time for the same reason i stopped getting haircuts during my last year in. i wanted nothing to do with the army or anything the army made me do.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I've been out for awhile.
The other day in class the teacher asked a question of the class, and I accidentally dropped the H Bomb. Just tired, and brain farted. Another GiPer sits in front of me, and I'll never live it down.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

The other day in class the teacher asked a question of the class, and I accidentally dropped the H Bomb. Just tired, and brain farted. Another GiPer sits in front of me, and I'll never live it down.

you HOOAH'd?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ban this sick filth

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Only acceptable if you Al Pacino Scent of a Woman it.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

DoktorLoken posted:

6 year E-5 with no NCOES. :smug:

BASD 08/06, DOR 12/10, so, 7 and change with no NCOES?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I can't loving stand "how copy?" over the radio, bitch you just gave me like 6 grids, go gently caress yourself

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

I can't loving stand "how copy?" over the radio, bitch you just gave me like 6 grids, go gently caress yourself

thirty seconds of dead air followed by a sheepish "...solid copy"

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Tango mike

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Oscar mike

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

bulletsponge13 posted:

:ughh:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

It would be-hooah you.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bulletsponge13 posted:

Jesus fuckin Christ, man

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm definitely someone who's tracking it until I can get eyes on.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I will alpha papa the mike foxtrot

*faaaaaaaaart*

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I haven’t even said hooah and I’m in the Army. Battle buddy I’ve let out too many times and I can’t seem to shake it off even with trying. Ugh.

Other than that, I don’t really use any lingo but I’ve always written times as ”1835”.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

Battle b***y

Thought this phrase was banned in GiP :stare:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Assault Associate.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Combat Comrade

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
this thread triggers me

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Taistelijapari. Not even the best are immune.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Mustang posted:

"caveat" "piggy back off of" and "free chicken" are Army terms I refuse to use though. I've actually only heard a CSM use behoove once, and that's the only time I've ever heard it in the Army.

caveat is particularly annoying because people in the Army never use it correctly

"Free chicken" is the douchiest of phrases. I associate it with rear end in a top hat OCs which is probably why I hate it

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
"too easy" usually said in response to being told to fix something hosed up. Sometimes pointed out for the 8th time or so. Apparently it is not too easy, rear end in a top hat.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i say "that's too easy" and "say again" a lot.

i've also been known to tell people to worry about their 50m target :(

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Stand by

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The worst is "hey battle". I use say again all the time out of habit, seems to work just fine on most people?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

DoktorLoken posted:

I use say again all the time out of habit, seems to work just fine on most people?

Most people seem to get it. But when they don't, they really don't. Once had a fast food worker stare at me like I was crazy and then she said "Again?"

Oh, is it bad if I get up before public transit stops, shuffle to the door, and yell at the top of my lungs "OOOOOOOONE MINUUUUUUTE!!!!"

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I've noticed some phrases have slipped into my routine use, but I don't mind most of them. They're dumb but they work so whatever. "Say again" and "stand by" are the two biggest. Sometimes I'll say "roger tracking copy" to annoy my wife.

I can't remember the exact situation, but I was really tired doing something for work, and a very muffled and defeated sounding "hooah" did crawl its way up my throat without me realizing. I hated myself.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DoktorLoken posted:

The worst is "hey battle". I use say again all the time out of habit, seems to work just fine on most people?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Clear

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
LUNCH – MRE both days to support mission time requirements. Heater is provided in each MRE to accommodate request for hot meal.

This was in my drill letter today

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
ROCK OR SOMETHING

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

whats for breakfast and dinner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008