Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Ratzap posted:

Unfortunately not in this case. You can mark tiles with the deconstruction tool but around buildings/pipes etc it's too fiddly. It's easier to do it by hand and even then takes a fair while.

Relaying the new stuff would have been quicker with more but this save is in the middle of a base rebuild so I'm stuck with what there is for now.

You can set a filter on the deconstruction planner so that it'll only pick up a certain item. Not sure if it'll work for concrete on the ground, but if it does that will solve the fiddliness problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Ratzap posted:

Unfortunately not in this case. You can mark tiles with the deconstruction tool but around buildings/pipes etc it's too fiddly. It's easier to do it by hand and even then takes a fair while.

Relaying the new stuff would have been quicker with more but this save is in the middle of a base rebuild so I'm stuck with what there is for now.

Can’t you just set the deconstruction blueprint to only deconstruct ground tiles? The same way you do for trees and rocks only?

Efb - so ashamed

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Just build over the old concrete with the new, the bots will replace it and bring the old tiles back to storage or wherever

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Am I the only one whose construction bots cap out around 600 when it comes to laying ground tiles? If I order a big patch of concrete I'll have thousands of idle bots and only roughly 600 of them are actively laying concrete.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

NatasDog posted:

Am I the only one whose construction bots cap out around 600 when it comes to laying ground tiles? If I order a big patch of concrete I'll have thousands of idle bots and only roughly 600 of them are actively laying concrete.

There's a cap on how many jobs can be assigned per tick (1 tick = 1/60th of a second) which is around that 600 mark you mentioned. But each concrete laying job takes far longer than one tick (even if your concrete buffer chest is right on top of the area you're concreting, it'd still take at least half a second for the animations+movement) so I'd be very surprised if you actually only have 600 bots laying concrete.

That "600" mark is also the limit for the number of 'construction waiting for items' alerts - is that what you're seeing?

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Thel posted:

There's a cap on how many jobs can be assigned per tick (1 tick = 1/60th of a second) which is around that 600 mark you mentioned. But each concrete laying job takes far longer than one tick (even if your concrete buffer chest is right on top of the area you're concreting, it'd still take at least half a second for the animations+movement) so I'd be very surprised if you actually only have 600 bots laying concrete.

That "600" mark is also the limit for the number of 'construction waiting for items' alerts - is that what you're seeing?

I'd love for that to be the case, but when I mouse over the Roboport there are a ton of construction bots idle, like 4000/5000 with other construction jobs running. This is with a full chest of concrete too so who knows. All I know is I've gotten in the habit of laying concrete is small chunks because otherwise the whole system chokes and other jobs like laying out rails and outposts suffer.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It would be nice if carrying capacity increases let construction bots place bigger sections of concrete at once like the player can.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

VostokProgram posted:

You can set a filter on the deconstruction planner so that it'll only pick up a certain item. Not sure if it'll work for concrete on the ground, but if it does that will solve the fiddliness problem.

I did my Youki base last night but I've plenty more saves to go through so I hope this is the case. It's a 2 to 1 convertion though so it's going to take a while to make enough to fill in.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

There should be an option to deploy concrete from a flamethrower

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Foehammer posted:

There should be an option to deploy concrete from a flamethrower artillery.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm looking to read the contents of a train as it's being filled, and emit a signal when it's completely full. The issue is that the train can be filled with anything, so reading absolute number of items is out. I'm thinking what if I read the contents of the train, shove that into memory cell A, then some number of ticks later, read the contents again, move the stored contents to memory cell B, set the new contents reading to memory cell A, and then compare them. When A and B are equal, it means the train is full and then go ahead and emit the signal. Anyone got a better/easier/different idea?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

How would that behave differently than the "X seconds inactivity" train condition?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
e: Never mind. I misunderstood the question.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 2, 2018

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Inglonias posted:

In other news, someone found a bug after playing the same game for THREE THOUSAND, TWO HUNDRED HOURS. (The express belt animations stopped because some 32 bit integer hit a max value)
Meanwhile, the game still makes it way too easy to accidentally erase your save.

CLOSED: NOT A BUG

Thanks moderator.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Foehammer posted:

There should be an option to deploy concrete from a flamethrower

There should be a suit mod that generates and lays concrete everywhere you run

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

There's a mod for everything.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

I'm reminded of that FARL mode where it would place track in front of you and tear up track behind you as you drive so you could basically just drive your locomotive around to get wherever you want at train speeds.

This looks like an amazing mod. I really do wish they'd fix the core construction bot functionality and let them carry a whole bunch of concrete at once though.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
To answer everyone's questions about CementShoes: they're dirt cheap, Green Tech (just past 'modules'), and 2x2 :yayclod:

e: but no 'Refined Concrete' option :smith:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Related idea that probably also exists: a building that takes concrete and places it in an expanding radius from itself.

Actually that kind of reminds me of that zerg stuff (creep, I think?) in StarCraft. Taking that idea further, is there a way to make the health of one object dependent on the presence of another (type of) object? So, could you have concrete that "grows" from a concrete spawner and breaks down if the building is removed or destroyed? Does (can) concrete even have HP?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Toast Museum posted:

Related idea that probably also exists: a building that takes concrete and places it in an expanding radius from itself.

The previously mentioned Concreep mod sort of does that. It just places concrete anywhere within construction bot range. I do wish that mod was a bit configureable though, such as setting some kind of limit on how many bots are working concrete. If I plop down a few roboports to expand my base area, there can be a few ten thousand tiles of concrete to place and while that's done any other bot-based construction is horribly slow since all bots are busy. Alternatively, enable/disable the concreep per roboport so I can have it go a little bit slower (by doing a roboport at a time) or just build my poo poo and then enable the concreting when I'm done. Now the only way I know how to rate-limit it is limiting the amount of concrete kept in storage and/or the rate at which it is produced, but seriously if you don't have a dozen chests full of concrete what kind of Factorio player do you think you are really?

Completely different set of problems: How do I feed water to my nuclear powerplants? I mostly do 4-reactor ones (48 heat exchangers, 80-something turbines, reasonably sized and easy to place) and there everything works nice and tidy, but whenever I do larger ones I seem to struggle with water supply. Obviously, as the larger the powerplant the harder it will be to put it right next to a body of water, and the distance from one end (where the water is) to the other grows, so pipe lengths increase. It just seems that the suggested ratios in terms of number of offshore pumps is just never quite enough, and I have to just toss more pumps and parallel runs of piping on it until it starts working properly, but I really have no idea what's going on. I have tried sections of between 12 and 20 heat exchangers (depending on size of plant), and feed them water from both directions.

How do I figure this out? Like, how far do I need to go before pipes will limit my water supply? How many extra pipes and/or pumps do I add? Are inline pumps ever appropriate, and if so, where and how many? Also, I see the water bar on the heat exchangers, and obviously low is bad and high is good, but how high does it need to be for the thing to work at full power?
I'm honestly fine doing the 4-reactor ones as the "neighbour bonus" gains from going past that aren't that great, but I would like to just have this figured out and at least be able to build a massive chernobylplex if I feel like it.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Was having a conversation with someone about how biters keep making their homes next to factories and getting mad at pollution. He then said there should be a mod that makes the biters hold picket signs when they gather before an attack.

So, does such a mod exist?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Roflex posted:

How would that behave differently than the "X seconds inactivity" train condition?

Due to the nature of the system I'm making, I can't use the inactivity condition in my train scheduling. I'm making all the stops the same name by necessity, and the wait condition fucks with the circuitry at a couple other types of stops. The entire setup will have stations of the same name, and the trains will be set up so that they go to each stop and wait for a green signal to tell them to go. If I change the names of the stops to allow the inactivity condition, then it makes scheduling impossibly difficult to get right, and if I just add the inactivity condition anyway, then I'll end up adding a ton of extra circuitry to an already circuit-heavy stop that took me literal weeks to nail down as well as I did.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

ionn posted:

How do I figure this out? Like, how far do I need to go before pipes will limit my water supply? How many extra pipes and/or pumps do I add? Are inline pumps ever appropriate, and if so, where and how many? Also, I see the water bar on the heat exchangers, and obviously low is bad and high is good, but how high does it need to be for the thing to work at full power?
I'm honestly fine doing the 4-reactor ones as the "neighbour bonus" gains from going past that aren't that great, but I would like to just have this figured out and at least be able to build a massive chernobylplex if I feel like it.

I can't tell you how to figure it out, but realize that throughput is finite and if you're feeding everything into one side of your power plant then half of the plant will be starved while the first half of heat exchangers sucks up all the water. Ideally you want each of your reactors to branch off as if it were by itself, and each one has multiple dedicated feedwater lines.

For a rough estimate, the 4 reactor design from Chernobyl Diaries I used had six feedwater lines, three on each side. It would run with only three at full capacity, but there was lag with half the plant as it drew down the storage tanks until water could get to the other half.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ionn posted:

If you don't want to use someone else's blueprints and figure it out yourself, there are charts in these links:

https://dddgamer.github.io/factorio-cheat-sheet/
https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Nuclear_power
https://wiki.factorio.com/Fluid_system (flow in units per second versus number of pipes chart)

The tl;dr on pipe length is that that bar needs to be full or nearly so at all times on all exchangers and tanks. If you have a tank set up near your reactor that your long pipe is feeding into, and it's not full or nearly so, you need to add pumps on your line until it stays full under load or you have too many heat exchangers.

The maximum number one pipe can support is around 12. If you want to actually consult charts, and count, offshore pumps make 1200 units of water and exchangers consume 103/sec, so you can look at the chart in fluid system to see what your minimum flow rate needs to be. If it's not enough, just add a pump to reduce the number of pipe segments.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Has anyone played with Logistics Train Network? I've been looking for something to automate train schedules for a while now, but have no idea what kind of impact on performance something like this will have.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

BabelFish posted:

Has anyone played with Logistics Train Network? I've been looking for something to automate train schedules for a while now, but have no idea what kind of impact on performance something like this will have.

It's so good.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

DarkHorse posted:

I can't tell you how to figure it out, but realize that throughput is finite and if you're feeding everything into one side of your power plant then half of the plant will be starved while the first half of heat exchangers sucks up all the water. Ideally you want each of your reactors to branch off as if it were by itself, and each one has multiple dedicated feedwater lines.

For a rough estimate, the 4 reactor design from Chernobyl Diaries I used had six feedwater lines, three on each side. It would run with only three at full capacity, but there was lag with half the plant as it drew down the storage tanks until water could get to the other half.

That's sounds pretty much like what I'm mostly building. Started out with a 4-reactor setup, with 4 branches of 12 heat exchangers each (two rows each along a run of heatpipe out from the reactors). Then, two turbines outside each of those heat exchangers (except a few that instead had steam storage tanks). Not from a blueprint but just roughly cloned from some picture I saw. There I have 8 places to feed water in, but I tie two rows of exchangers together at one end to save some room, giving me 6 runs of pipe to feed each with an offshore pump (slightly more than the "optimal" 5, but who cares). And that works beautifully well, it even runs fine on less pipes than that.

Problems started when I went for larger setups (stacking more reactors in the middle, adding more "arms" of heat exchangers and turbines, and making those arms slightly longer to account for the now increased per-reactor output). It seemed to run fine when new, but if I ever hit peak load and it drained the steam tanks, it would then flatline at a much lower output as a lot of the heat exchangers got starved for water. I added lots of parallel runs of water pipe, more offshore pumps (where I just overkilled and had about 2-3 pumps per pipe), and pumping stations along the way until it seemed to be running again, only to have the same thing happen again later anyway. So while just "add more water supply" seemed to help, I couldn't seem to have quite enough. By my understanding of Factorio math, it should have been fine, but wasn't.

Bhodi posted:

The maximum number one pipe can support is around 12. If you want to actually consult charts, and count, offshore pumps make 1200 units of water and exchangers consume 103/sec, so you can look at the chart in fluid system to see what your minimum flow rate needs to be. If it's not enough, just add a pump to reduce the number of pipe segments.

Yeah, full throughput of one offshore pump is about 11 heat exchangers (almost 12). But isn't one pipe supposed to be able to flow more than that, given enough pumpage (if I read the numbers right)? I guess that is what limits how long an unbroken chain of heat exchangers can be, how much water you can push in at either side. But then again it's easy enough to leave a 1-tile gap for a water side-feed, until you run out of heatpipe capacity instead.
I guess I just keep underestimating how much a run of underground pipe limits flow, or count its length wrong or something. Meh.

I would like to gather up some of my 4-reactor plants into a 12-or-so setup for shits and giggles, but I'm a bit reluctant to do so unless I can be reasonably sure of getting it working. Might just need to find the proper spot for it somewhere, maybe landfill a perfectly sized square island in a big lake so I can easily surround it with plenty of very short water feeds. Would also give me the added logistical joy of shipping nuclear fuel by train!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ionn posted:

Yeah, full throughput of one offshore pump is about 11 heat exchangers (almost 12). But isn't one pipe supposed to be able to flow more than that, given enough pumpage (if I read the numbers right)? I guess that is what limits how long an unbroken chain of heat exchangers can be, how much water you can push in at either side. But then again it's easy enough to leave a 1-tile gap for a water side-feed, until you run out of heatpipe capacity instead.
I guess I just keep underestimating how much a run of underground pipe limits flow, or count its length wrong or something. Meh.
Not to any appreciable length. Underground pipes count as 2 segments; everything underground is "free". As such, the minimum of 2 segments can flow 2200u/sec which isn't even two pumps worth. The only use for this is to share say 2 offshore pumps and 2 incoming pipes with 3 rows of exchangers. But it's wonky and as you say, running 5 parallel pipes isn't any more trouble than running 4. When I did my 4 reactor (before the nice designs came out) I just made a windmill shape, one heat pipe to an arm of heat exchangers, one steam tank for each, and two turbines hanging off the tank. Then ran a offshore to each and connected all the arms up. Later I added an additional pump and connected it to an arm, which worked fine. It was probably below optimal but I ended up replacing it with another, better design.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 4, 2018

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

It would be real funny if they started using equivalent lengths for pipe pressure losses. Suddenly, those underground pipes with 4 elbows are about 80 tiles longer, so all the old blueprints are right hosed.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pipe mechanics are already among the more unintuitive parts of the game, it doesn't need to be more complex than it already is.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

BabelFish posted:

It's very good, we can't play without it now. It takes a bit of getting used to.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Collateral Damage posted:

Pipe mechanics are already among the more unintuitive parts of the game, it doesn't need to be more complex than it already is.

I didn't say good, I said funny. :v:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

For people who do bot train stops, how many roboports/bots do you use? I'm up to 5 roboports and 400 logistics bots and its not getting the job done for even a single 4 car train of copper plate. I'm reluctant to add more bots without more roboports because I'm already seeing 50+ bot queues for charging.

As an experiment in switching to bot setups from having always used belts I'm not very impressed so far.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

LLSix posted:

For people who do bot train stops, how many roboports/bots do you use? I'm up to 5 roboports and 400 logistics bots and its not getting the job done for even a single 4 car train of copper plate. I'm reluctant to add more bots without more roboports because I'm already seeing 50+ bot queues for charging.

As an experiment in switching to bot setups from having always used belts I'm not very impressed so far.

This is a beginning installation for getting your feet under you. The one I run for my silo materials has a few thousand bots and many ports.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LLSix posted:

36 roboports per train

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm a belt-purist so I tend to have just enough ports to get full coverage of my factory, plus a dozen or so at the Mall for deliveries.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

On my last map, I didn't use roboports at all. Not because I was angling for an achievement or anything; I just didn't feel like I needed 'em.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I just loaded that game and at some point I decided to create a factory that feeds logistic bots directly into a roboport. Almost all of my ports are 100% full of logistic bots.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

LLSix posted:

400 logistics bots is possibly enough if all they are doing is filling up your personal logistics slots, but it is a tiny amount if you are doing "factory stuff" with them. How many you need depends mostly on your rate of goods passing through, and how far that stuff needs to move. Any calculations regarding how many you really need get complicated by trying to determine their exact travel distance and speed and how much of their time is spent recharging, so best approach is basically "add more until there's enough". But at least aim for "thousands".

As for roboports, if you have a train unloading area with shitloads of bots flying around, the answer is "as many as you can fit". Seriously, you need lots of recharging capacity to keep the bot network going. In my current "nothing but bots" map I'm playing (and frankly getting a bit tired of because it's just stupid and too easy), I'm using the Robocharger mod which adds a thing that doesn't store robots or expand network size, but just provides a recharge point. It has a smaller footprint (2x2 rather than 4x4), is a bit cheaper to build, and is much easier to retrofit into your factory. The train unload area is laid out to have lots of charging stations, there's about a dozen of them surrounding the area including some squeezed in between the train tracks.
In the rest of the factory, I typically put roboports in a grid spaced out as far as they'll go, and a charger in between each pair in that grid (so an equal amount of each). Whenever there is an area where lots of bots are queued up for charging (which depends on the rate of stuff going in and out of that area), I add more chargers. The same thing can be accomplished with regular vanilla roboports, it just requires a bit more planning. I'd say a good starting point is double the amount of roboports that you'd normally need just to cover the grid. That is, for any areas that are bot-heavy.

This BotWorld is starting to bore me a bit, as there doesn't seem to be any real breaking points to it or challenges left but just the same things that need to be iterated on again and again. Some numbers just to give you an idea of how silly it gets: The main base has 100 roboports, 140 chargers 2400 construction bots and 16000 logistics bots. In the global power grid there are a bit more with all the mining outposts (about 50 more each of chargers and roboports), and in power consumption ranking robochargers are #1, furnaces #2 and roboports #3. Chargers+roboports in total make up almost half of all power consumed, 700MW out of 1.5GW average. And this isn't even a very big base in terms of production. It's just one somewhat sped-up rocket silo running constantly (1-2 minutes between lauches, haven't counted) and a couple dozen research labs, going through 25K-ish copper and iron ore per minute.
I don't see any real limits how far this can go. I had to reshuffle a few things to keep high-throughput producers and consumers closer to each other and keep bot travel distances down (iron ore unloads next to iron and steel smelters, same thing with copper, and green circuits go somewhere in between copper and iron smelters, that kind of thing). At some point I'd have to build separate bases for those items and send plates and green circuits by train, but overall it's just same old factorio but on easy mode and graphically very very messy. Walk past the ore unload area when a couple trains come in, a couple thousand bots cover the screen, and you can't see where you're going and get killed. Plenty of available inventory space though as I don't have to carry any belts or splitters around with me, and expanding the factory is just stupidly simple copypasting as there are no belts or buses to worry about.

boo_radley posted:

I just loaded that game and at some point I decided to create a factory that feeds logistic bots directly into a roboport. Almost all of my ports are 100% full of logistic bots.

I do just that, but the inserter is wired to the roboport which provides signals for number of total and available logistics and construction bots. So I feed bots into the network whenever the number of available go below some threshold, to keep the total number of each bot type roughly in line with actual demand (this goes for normal belt-driven factories as well, not just robotic madness).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Welp, have played 180 hours of this game and just found out that you can click on splitters to make them filter poo poo.

:arghfist::downs: