Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I love just how lovely the R-Type world is for just being the background noise of an arcade shooter franchise.

The ship descriptions in Final are pretty great for how bleak they are, since pretty much all of them are like "yeah this will hurt the Bydo pretty good we think, anyways this will also be great for killing humans in whatever future wars we have."

There's a whole line that induces horrifying nightmares in the pilot and then weaponizes them in the form of screen-clearing jumpscares.

I need to play R-Type Final again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Slime posted:

They should write a story where it works like the mops in Fantasia. The more you chop, the more smaller copies you get.

If I recall right Lobo (the Wolverine piss-take) did that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Despite a couple of misgivings, Metal Gear Survive is hitting the sweet spot for survival games. Yeah hunger and thirst drain too quickly, and water sources giving you paralysis inducing vomiting for the first few hours of the game is an incredibly dumb decision, but the sheer relief at finding some untainted wood and a cloth rag is amazing.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

R-type final was ps2 only though? I played a bit of delta, but was never able to play final. So many ships.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SkeletonHero posted:

I love just how lovely the R-Type world is for just being the background noise of an arcade shooter franchise.

The ship descriptions in Final are pretty great for how bleak they are, since pretty much all of them are like "yeah this will hurt the Bydo pretty good we think, anyways this will also be great for killing humans in whatever future wars we have."

There's a whole line that induces horrifying nightmares in the pilot and then weaponizes them in the form of screen-clearing jumpscares.

I need to play R-Type Final again.

It's amazingly bleak and fatalistic. I just found out recently there was a PSP turn-based strategy game that uses a bunch of the ships from Final as well. So I might check that out when I finally finish unlocking ships. But I've still got like three hours of play time left at least. Probably more.

ilmucche posted:

R-type final was ps2 only though? I played a bit of delta, but was never able to play final. So many ships.

Delta was cool and the Cerberus' storyline (well, ending) is referenced in Final. Thanks to the magic of emulation you can play it on PC! It's very fun!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

poptart_fairy posted:

Despite a couple of misgivings, Metal Gear Survive is hitting the sweet spot for survival games. Yeah hunger and thirst drain too quickly, and water sources giving you paralysis inducing vomiting for the first few hours of the game is an incredibly dumb decision, but the sheer relief at finding some untainted wood and a cloth rag is amazing.

I'm the same way, but I've always been a massive sucker for survival games. I can't tell you how many hours I spent gathering leaves in Stranded 2. I think the food/water items being so lovely in the early game is supposed to give you a sense that you really are in a shitpit world without any help, but honestly it just ends up being annoying. Sure you get way better food items later, but it shouldn't take hours to figure out boiling water.

The Dust absolutely gets that feeling across though. It's so isolating, and the dropping oxygen isn't a HUGE threat since you can spend kuban energy to get oxygen back, but it's spooky and oppressive as hell. The sense of relief when you stumble onto a clearing without dust feels so drat good.

Also finding a jeep and using it to mow down zombies like you're one of the convicts from Dead Rising 1 is just a wonderful feeling

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Tell you what I loved in Shadow of War...

You do a late game quest line (or maybe it scales and I left it late) revolving around a character named Zog who is a necromancer and in the last fight against him he resurrects all the Orcs you've had to most run-ins with. It was really great seeing all those bastards who gave me so much trouble back and drooling over themselves. And also Bruz... who I shamed to level 1 and planned to keep alive until he randomly set himself on fire this one time and died. I didn't even know he was there! I was doing something in a camp and then the camera did that slow motion, zoom in thing and there was Bruz,
in flames and dying.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Danaru posted:

I'm the same way, but I've always been a massive sucker for survival games. I can't tell you how many hours I spent gathering leaves in Stranded 2. I think the food/water items being so lovely in the early game is supposed to give you a sense that you really are in a shitpit world without any help, but honestly it just ends up being annoying. Sure you get way better food items later, but it shouldn't take hours to figure out boiling water.

The Dust absolutely gets that feeling across though. It's so isolating, and the dropping oxygen isn't a HUGE threat since you can spend kuban energy to get oxygen back, but it's spooky and oppressive as hell. The sense of relief when you stumble onto a clearing without dust feels so drat good.

Also finding a jeep and using it to mow down zombies like you're one of the convicts from Dead Rising 1 is just a wonderful feeling

Yup yup, definitely. I'm at the point where I can now do decent trips into the dust and it's incredible - you're still reminded there's a long way to go, but you're now capable of basic Recon.

If the tainted water was terrible and made you sick it would be good, but the paralysis thing is what took it too far IMO.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Ok, you really weren't joking about how the grinding gets in post game Disgaea 5 - where dudes jump from level 200, to 500, to 1000 between stages. Which sucks because it looks like there's actually more of the story after the game but you have to be around 2000(?) to see all of it? Which I might take a break from.

Content: Disgaea 5 made me be okay with how anime Xenoblade 2 is - and outside of a really horrible UI and character design (somehow feeling grosser than Disgaea 5?), I'm enjoying it. I really like bumping into all the old monsters from the first Xenoblade because it has to have been years since I last saw them. Music is also at top notch here - though I do miss "Uncontrollable" dearly.

I also really can't stop laughing about how everyone never stops talking during fights. And Rex's war cry that sounds like a deflating race car.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Drunken Baker posted:

I was doing something in a camp and then the camera did that slow motion, zoom in thing and there was Bruz,
in flames and dying.

lol i wanna play shadow of war now

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There are still orcs who can roll fear of the Grave walker. They'll march in slow motion, tribe chanting their name, give a powerful speech... Then promptly turn tail and leg it.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

scarycave posted:

Ok, you really weren't joking about how the grinding gets in post game Disgaea 5 - where dudes jump from level 200, to 500, to 1000 between stages. Which sucks because it looks like there's actually more of the story after the game but you have to be around 2000(?) to see all of it? Which I might take a break from.

Content: Disgaea 5 made me be okay with how anime Xenoblade 2 is - and outside of a really horrible UI and character design (somehow feeling grosser than Disgaea 5?), I'm enjoying it. I really like bumping into all the old monsters from the first Xenoblade because it has to have been years since I last saw them. Music is also at top notch here - though I do miss "Uncontrollable" dearly.

I also really can't stop laughing about how everyone never stops talking during fights. And Rex's war cry that sounds like a deflating race car.

If it's anything like disgaea 1,2 and 4 (I skipped 3) then there's a bigger amount of effort between lv20 and lv40 than there is between lv 1000 and lv 1500.
You just need to figure out what the good levelling up spots are. Post story enemies can potentially level you up hundreds of levels in a single kill if you're doing it right.
It's still a hell of a grind to kill the super bosses though. I did all of them in D1 but 2's big super boss required not only getting to lv9999 but then resurrecting to get higher stats at the next time you hit lv9999 and do that with several characters :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Moss is about helping a mouse go on an adventure. Since it's virtual reality, it's tracking your hand movements, so you can reach into the world and directly touch puzzle pieces- move platforms, pin down enemies, light fires, etc.

You can also use this ability to pet the mouse.

Sometimes, after you solve a puzzle, the mouse will strike a certain pose with one hand raised. If you pet her at this moment you high-five.

This is the most :kimchi: game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm using this to try and keep myself on track since I've never stuck with a Disgaea game for this long since I only got to play the first two on my underpowered laptop.
http://www.gamerguides.com/disgaea-5-alliance-of-vengeance/the-basics/introduction/foreword

Best I've got at this point is to use Martial Training along with a full stack of statisticians while I try to make another full 900 for other people. And on top of that EXP is turnt up to like 300% too.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Disgaea grinding is all about building a grinding engine, rather than just regular grinding.

Of course eventually regular grinding is what you do, but the goal is by creating this complex system of powerful weapons, party members, classroom buffs (I assume 5 has these?) etc etc that you can take a level 1 fighter and one shot a 3x3 grid of level 9500 enemies (that always appears in the late game somewhere) and instantly launch yourself from level 1 to level 9999 in a single battle (then repeat this 42 times to store up reincarrnation levels or some poo poo because we gotta go deeper).

Getting from say 100 to 3000 can sometimes be challenging but normally there is a map where you can get a bunch of level 99 enemies (who, because of the way the exp formula changes from 1-99 and 100+, give the same exp as a level 350 enemy. This can launch you up to level 400 or so pretty easliy and at that point you can start building a grind engine by accumulating +exp item residents and stuff.

I'm not going to say the game isn't grindy because it SUUUPER is, but I will say the form of grinding isn't just 'repeat this thing 1000 times' as much as it's about making slow steady progress towards a checklist of things that you'll need in order to launch yourself into the stratosphere of levels. Then at some point you hit a wall and have to do 50 runs through the character world for aptitude points or something and it will literally take 15 hours and there's no avoiding it. But that's like, post-post game stuff.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm using this to try and keep myself on track since I've never stuck with a Disgaea game for this long since I only got to play the first two on my underpowered laptop.
http://www.gamerguides.com/disgaea-5-alliance-of-vengeance/the-basics/introduction/foreword

Best I've got at this point is to use Martial Training along with a full stack of statisticians while I try to make another full 900 for other people. And on top of that EXP is turnt up to like 300% too.

Basically this. I haven't played 5 but I did beat uber baal within the past year or so. I find the 'build your engine' portion far more satisfying than the 'use your engine' portion, but by the time the engine was built I kinda wanted tos ee if I could go get a legendary rank 44 item or w/e and do all the other late game stuff.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

nael posted:

The Hulk has a secret super power that makes him magically able to destroy things without any collateral damage. This is actually Marvel canon.

He also breaks worlds when angry, this is also canon. These two things do not add up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone on that world had gone home for the evening.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ratchet and Clank trying to convince the player an entire planet was evacuated in the few seconds it took to destroy will never not be funny.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I think the Hulk thing was like one writer but he was one of the prolific guys so he got to write it into a couple of things. It is so dumb that the avatar of rage makes sure to smash only empty busses and buildings while thrashing wildly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Agent355 posted:

Disgaea grinding is all about building a grinding engine, rather than just regular grinding.

Of course eventually regular grinding is what you do, but the goal is by creating this complex system of powerful weapons, party members, classroom buffs (I assume 5 has these?) etc etc that you can take a level 1 fighter and one shot a 3x3 grid of level 9500 enemies (that always appears in the late game somewhere) and instantly launch yourself from level 1 to level 9999 in a single battle (then repeat this 42 times to store up reincarrnation levels or some poo poo because we gotta go deeper).

Getting from say 100 to 3000 can sometimes be challenging but normally there is a map where you can get a bunch of level 99 enemies (who, because of the way the exp formula changes from 1-99 and 100+, give the same exp as a level 350 enemy. This can launch you up to level 400 or so pretty easliy and at that point you can start building a grind engine by accumulating +exp item residents and stuff.

I'm not going to say the game isn't grindy because it SUUUPER is, but I will say the form of grinding isn't just 'repeat this thing 1000 times' as much as it's about making slow steady progress towards a checklist of things that you'll need in order to launch yourself into the stratosphere of levels. Then at some point you hit a wall and have to do 50 runs through the character world for aptitude points or something and it will literally take 15 hours and there's no avoiding it. But that's like, post-post game stuff.

Basically this. I haven't played 5 but I did beat uber baal within the past year or so. I find the 'build your engine' portion far more satisfying than the 'use your engine' portion, but by the time the engine was built I kinda wanted tos ee if I could go get a legendary rank 44 item or w/e and do all the other late game stuff.

Yeah, I'm not smart enough for that stuff so I just fight a bunch of level 1000+ monsters a few times and move the EXP boosting thing onto someone else and repeat the process.

codenameFANGIO posted:

I think the Hulk thing was like one writer but he was one of the prolific guys so he got to write it into a couple of things. It is so dumb that the avatar of rage makes sure to smash only empty busses and buildings while thrashing wildly.

I'm already believing that the man has a Jekyll and Hyde situation going on where he becomes an ogre, stretching that a bit more to believe that A) people start running once they see 10' of green muscle running and screaming at everything and B) Banner's actually doing something to keep him from smushing everyone like flies as he's grabbing cars to use as baseballl bats.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So one more thing about R-Type Final. It was meant to be the last R-Type game ever. And aside from two strategy spinoffs, one of which never left Japan, it was. There hasn't been a proper R-Type game since.

The last three ships you unlock, R-99, R-100 and R-101 and titled "Last Dancer", "Curtain Call" and "Grand Finale" respectively. And their descriptions detail how they were the last fighters made by the development team - the culmination of everything and perfected weapons meant to preserve their technology for the future with the R-101 being their final masterpiece. Then they disbanded. Which is kind of what happened, really. R-Type Final is an amazing R-Type game that tries to pack so much into it, throwbacks to obscure Irem shooters, bosses and enemies from across the whole series while still introducing new things. And now it's just done.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Agent355 posted:

So it's like an even more optimisable Path of Exile.

gently caress dude you're actually selling me on this...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Nuebot posted:

So one more thing about R-Type Final. It was meant to be the last R-Type game ever. And aside from two strategy spinoffs, one of which never left Japan, it was. There hasn't been a proper R-Type game since.

The last three ships you unlock, R-99, R-100 and R-101 and titled "Last Dancer", "Curtain Call" and "Grand Finale" respectively. And their descriptions detail how they were the last fighters made by the development team - the culmination of everything and perfected weapons meant to preserve their technology for the future with the R-101 being their final masterpiece. Then they disbanded. Which is kind of what happened, really. R-Type Final is an amazing R-Type game that tries to pack so much into it, throwbacks to obscure Irem shooters, bosses and enemies from across the whole series while still introducing new things. And now it's just done.

It's amazing how poignant you're making this shmup sound, I actually want to try it one day now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Somfin posted:

So it's like an even more optimisable Path of Exile.

gently caress dude you're actually selling me on this...

You should really take a look at a trailer at the very least before dropping money on it. Because the series is pretty drat anime and also over the top as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAhpowH3j7k

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Disgaea 5 is great in regards to the grind machine. I started with D2 on steam and read a bit on D5 and saw the changes they made and promptly abandoned D2 for it. In earlier Disgaea games you could permanently screw up an item as the item worlds were finite, they're infinite in D5. You could in fact lose progress on reincarnations if you weren't doing them right (namely, if you reincarnated before 9999) because your bonus stats were a percentage of whatever stats the character had at time of reincarnation. They actually bothered to show you your character's AOE range and warn you if you were going to hit an enemy. Also actually letting you see the expected damage on an enemy instead of hoping you'll get the finishing hit on a character you want to earn the xp on.

Whenever people cry about "streamlining" I want to point out Disgaea 5, but then I realize Disgaea is an extremely niche genre.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Samuringa posted:

It's amazing how poignant you're making this shmup sound, I actually want to try it one day now.

Do it, it's a really fun shmup. There's a ton of variety in the ships you can play so you can find one that's just perfect for you. The difficulty levels don't just modify enemy health but also what you continue with after you die; on the easiest difficulty you retain every upgrade you had through game overs even. But on the hardest every time you die you lose everything. There's even a little enemy bio section for you to fill in as you kill everything so you can find out information about the enemies you're fighting.

Also in keeping with the general outlook and view of the series as a whole; the reason you die in one hit is because the enemy you fight is incredibly dangerous and and near infinite in number so they specifically design your ships to maximize offense and mobility rather than defense. Most R-Type missions are basically suicide runs to try and destroy the core bydo life forms.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am on an R Type trip at the moment, playing Super R Type on SNES and Generations on PS3, I love them so much but goddamn they are hard

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The biggest tricks to the series as a whole, I find at least, are learning the right spots to launch your force and getting good at dodging while your force just sits there damaging the hell out of bosses.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I impulse bought My Time At Portia (kinda like Stardew Valley, but less of a focus on crop-farming and more on being a town's construction dude), and one of the things I like is that crafting things seems to take just long enough (say, something will take 6 hours of time to craft, but every real-life second is a minute in-game) that it really lets you do a decent amount of exploring and villager-talking-to that I never seemed to be able to do well at in Stardew.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The entire survival game genre is build on meter management but I really wish more of them did the tiny thing Metal Gear Survive did: In Survive when you max out you Food or Water Bar it disappears for the UI until it reaches ~88% and I think it drains to that point slower as well. It makes it so that you feel prepared when you set out and feel drained as you go on expeditions instead of every other game where you start panicking because you bars are draining 5 steps from your base.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Hel posted:

The entire survival game genre is build on meter management but I really wish more of them did the tiny thing Metal Gear Survive did: In Survive when you max out you Food or Water Bar it disappears for the UI until it reaches ~88% and I think it drains to that point slower as well. It makes it so that you feel prepared when you set out and feel drained as you go on expeditions instead of every other game where you start panicking because you bars are draining 5 steps from your base.

Kinda the opposite of this thread, but there was once an article that praised when games do that sort of thing, because the alternative is precisely what happens when you don't. I even noticed the developers of Subnautica putting it on their public-viewable development planner thing as a "we need to look into this and adapt it to our game" thing. Made me hopeful.

Never got added to the game, in the end. :(

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Kinda the opposite of this thread, but there was once an article that praised when games do that sort of thing, because the alternative is precisely what happens when you don't. I even noticed the developers of Subnautica putting it on their public-viewable development planner thing as a "we need to look into this and adapt it to our game" thing. Made me hopeful.

Never got added to the game, in the end. :(

I noticed that it almost does that - you can eat food as long as your meter is under 100, and you'll get the full amount from the food, even taking you over 100. As long as you're over 100, the meter will visually appear to be full, so you'll have a period where your meter looks like it's just sitting at 100% before it starts dropping.

Water doesn't work that way for some reason, though.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Leal posted:

Disgaea 5 is great in regards to the grind machine. I started with D2 on steam and read a bit on D5 and saw the changes they made and promptly abandoned D2 for it. In earlier Disgaea games you could permanently screw up an item as the item worlds were finite, they're infinite in D5. You could in fact lose progress on reincarnations if you weren't doing them right (namely, if you reincarnated before 9999) because your bonus stats were a percentage of whatever stats the character had at time of reincarnation. They actually bothered to show you your character's AOE range and warn you if you were going to hit an enemy. Also actually letting you see the expected damage on an enemy instead of hoping you'll get the finishing hit on a character you want to earn the xp on.

Whenever people cry about "streamlining" I want to point out Disgaea 5, but then I realize Disgaea is an extremely niche genre.

The disgaea series has REALLLY REALLLY improved with each iteration. People may whine and cry about whatever favorite system that got lost along the way but overall the developers do a great job of making the satisfying parts of the game better with each entry. I'm eagerly awaiting to play 5 on PC somehow. The PC ports lag way behind but Playstation Now has 4 available which, afaik, is the only legal way to play it on PC (PSnow is also really cool and good if you don't own a playstation and want to play playstation games, plz put bloodborne on it sony).

PFY little things about Into The Breach time.

So I love FTL but FTL has, to me, one really big flaw that after a long time of playing makes me completely unable to enjoy it anymore and it's broadly described as overall balance. See, when I played there was basically 1 superior method for winning and then everything else on a tier below that. Creating a strong boarding party wasn't just super effective at all levels of play but it was also the most reliable since killing with a boarding party gave you more scrap for each victory so you just overall would be ahead of the power curve and able to afford more fuel and better upgrades than other builds.

Basically this meant no matter what ship I was flying I would snap up as many mantis/rockman crew members and a crew teleporter on every single run. Different ships mostly felt like, to me, various handicaps on how difficult it was to reach boarding parties.

So now we have Into The Breach and they have the same sort of thing. Roguelike game with different starting loadouts of mechs (ships) that you upgrade and try to beat the game with, but the devs made a beautiful decision that I just love. You will never find enough resources to replace your starting load out. You might add to it, an dmaybe in the very late game you might replace a single weapon on one of your three mechs, but overall you're going to be trying to enhance the efficacy of the loadout you have, because thats the only one you get. Now it doesn't matter if whatever build is the best, like boarding parties in FTL, you can't get it with each loadout. If you're playing the fire mechs you're generally going to be using the fire gimmick to thrash your way through the entire game.

It really fixed the whole issue I had with FTL where every run felt rather same-y and I never had much motivation to try different ships. Lovin ITB.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I like in a lot of games, but mostly collectathons, is the concept of exponential progress. Doing well early in the game meaning having an easier time later. For example, some later levels in a lot of collectathons are really difficult just to navigate, However the games are beatable without needing to worry too much about the annoying ones. If you 100% three levels in Yooka Laylee and the hub world, then two of the worlds become largely optional as you only need 5 remaining pagies from them. Even more ludicrously in Mario 64, you only need 70/120 stars to beat the game so 4 or 5 levels can be skipped if the player so chooses.

It also means that if something is annoying you you have the option of going to do something else, progressing elsewhere. A lot of linear games have a problem where you get to a hard boss or encounter and then have to beat your head against it until you figure out what you are doing wrong or give in entirely, and can become frustrating as a result. It's nice to see the swamp in Yooka Laylee for example, and just go "You know what, the casino and space levels are much more fun to navigate so no thankyou." Or alternatively if the minecarts are annoying you in the same game you can just go "You know what there are literally 70 other things I could be doing right now in this game. Wheres Rextro?"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There's a hospital scene in Life is Strange: Before the Storm and the room numbers have accurate braille beneath the numbers rather than just some dots. Really really cool.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

EmmyOk posted:

There's a hospital scene in Life is Strange: Before the Storm and the room numbers have accurate braille beneath the numbers rather than just some dots. Really really cool.

Something something insert joke about how a blind player is supposed to feel that with a controller.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

A lot of games over the last years have tried to make bows their "iconic" weapon and it always put me of using them since a lot of the times it felt artificial or fetishistic. Metal Gear Survive has me using the bow a lot of the time because they understand it's garbage: it has massive drop, takes far too long to nock a new arrow etc. but it's ammo is dirt cheap so I'm using it whenever I can just to save ammo for my real guns. It also makes all the area defences feel different because that's when you load up on real weapons and ammo instead of travelling light w/ your cheap gear so you can carry as much resources as possible back to base.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I'm making my way through Celeste after seeing someone post about it here and I definitely have to recommend it. It's pretty much the perfect platformer. Every new stage introduces some additional mechanics that work fluidly with what you've already learned, and even though the game is brutally hard, it's not trying to deliberately gently caress with you. Most of the most challenging parts of the game are totally optional things you can do to collect items that have no impact outside of bragging rights and checkpoints are extremely generous, usually letting you respawn right before whatever short segment killed you. It gives you more leeway than the pixel-perfect plarforming of games like, say, I Wanna Be The Guy, but it's still challenging enough that I've already racked up over 1000 deaths and I'm about half-way through the penultimate level. There's also an assist mode you can activate to make the game easier if you're finding it too difficult.

Gameplay and storyline spoilers ahead:
Given the often metaphysical nature of the journey, I appreciate that the game just doesn't bother trying to make anything make physical sense. It's both about a literal climb up a mountain and about Madeline dealing with her own anxiety and depression. This manifests literally when that part of Madeline takes on a separate physical form partway through the journey and actively sabotages you until Madeline eventually realizes that she can't just cut away that part of herself and musters the courage to keep climbing despite her fear. This leads to some dope as hell platforming segments where the two work together to vault each other in tandem through the sky to loving fly up the mountain. It's great and the game has a drat lot of heart

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hel posted:

A lot of games over the last years have tried to make bows their "iconic" weapon and it always put me of using them since a lot of the times it felt artificial or fetishistic. Metal Gear Survive has me using the bow a lot of the time because they understand it's garbage: it has massive drop, takes far too long to nock a new arrow etc. but it's ammo is dirt cheap so I'm using it whenever I can just to save ammo for my real guns. It also makes all the area defences feel different because that's when you load up on real weapons and ammo instead of travelling light w/ your cheap gear so you can carry as much resources as possible back to base.

The spear owns and more games need them. Stabbing someone through the spine is rivalled only by Nioh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don't really know anything about Metal Gear Survive other than that Kojima isn't at the helm, and I kind of assumed it would be 90% microtransaction cash grab. All the stories in this thread (and, ironically, the sister thread) sound super cool, though. It's more survivalist/exploration based?

Dark Souls 3 continues to be awesome, and I think it's breaking me of some bad gaming habits I've gotten through the years - namely obsessively wiki'ing everything in games with permanently missable quests/items. A lot of DS3 NPC interactions are really, really weird, and it's usually recommended that you wiki them before playing so you know what you can do keep everyone alive or whatever. I did that early on (honestly, mostly to check if the old fire keeper merchant lady ever does anything weird - someone had written "be wary of betrayal" at her feet) and realized that I would never remember most of it. I've been playing pretty much blind, taking consequences as they come, and it's rad and really fits with the game's tone.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 16:14 on Mar 3, 2018