Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Quick Q's on the Children of Time ep of DS9

1) So did Worf end up not killing his own descendants because they all decided they would support/complete the loop that starts the colony?

2) Wouldn't the Starfleet time cops who just visited them in Trials and Tribulations be wanting to investigate this too? And wouldn't they have tools to keep the colony from never existing? Or is that not kosher for time-stuff?

Nobody killed anybody in this episode. I consider this one in particularly egregious failure to understand their own premise. See, it's not that their Descendants on the planet died, and it's not even that their descendants cease to exist. by escaping the planet they are going to have a bunch of future descendants who have much better lives than the people stuck in subsistence farming that we see in the episode. Furthermore, they'll save everybody from the Dominion. This is one of the biggest false choices I think ever presented on Star Trek.

it's like if some people came to now from way back in the past and concluded that stopping Genghis Khan from killing millions of people would be wrong, because a possible future exists where that happened and there are some nice people there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A bunch of Prophets looking like Vorta asking Jem'Hadar "what is life?" over and over again because the Jem'Hadar only say "Victory is life" when they're asked "what is victory."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yeah i know but worf was specifically asked to stab his own descendants in the heart to give them a semblance of an honorable death before the wipe out and he was gonna do it but i guess he didnt since they were trying to preserve their little timeline

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah they all become idiots and decide to leave the galaxy to burn because they met their inbred bad timeline grandkids.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

RC Cola posted:

So what happened to the thousands of Dominion ships in the wormhole? Just lost in space and time forever?
I assume they were extremely killed, and as an armada of oppression and occupation I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Unfortunate, yes; sad, certainly; but so it goes.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I think it was discussed here not too long ago, but I just rewatched TNG Reunification (I and II) for the first time in ages and I was pretty underwhelmed. The episodes are full of decisions and events that just don’t make any sense. Just off the top of my head:

-The Romulans were going to take over Vulcan with 3,000 soldiers in completely defenseless transport vessels. Right, they were going to entrench themselves or whatever to make it a fact of life but give me a loving break, you couldn’t even occupy one small city with that number of soldiers, let alone a planet.

-If successful, the Romulan sneak attack would have obviously been considered a deliberate act of war against the Federation, but nobody seemed to think the obvious repercussions would have included a major war. Vulcan is a founding member of the Federation, this isn’t some border colony!

-Their plan hinged on nobody inspecting or even scanning mysterious transport vessels at all as they travel through Federation and Vulcan space.

-Evil Romulan Yar left Picard, Data, and Spock alone in an office with full computer access and no guards- a computer apparently capable of blasting livestream transmissions to a foreign power (and generate holographic projection too)

-Spock’s interstellar transmission of warning to Vulcan was not intercepted

- the pro-Vulcan Romulan underground was completely compromised and each of their identities clearly known by the evil senator and consequently the secret police etc. yet they don’t seem concerned to remain on Romulus. The same goes for Spock- all their tunnels and hiding places are known.

-apparently you can just easily send cloaked ships wherever, like loving Romulus, so earth must be 15% Romulan and Klingon agents

-why was irreplaceable, priceless Data on this mission?

-Riker violently assaults an unarmed Ferengi much smaller than him to get information

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 3, 2018

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Delthalaz posted:

-apparently you can just easily send cloaked ships wherever, like loving Romulus, so earth must be 15% Romulan and Klingon agents

From how often disguised agents are found in various episodes (the heroes even do it on several occasions) it's probably both true, and much higher than 15%.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Don't forget all the people that are taken over by ghosts, replaced by clones, have worms controlling them, evil gods taking their place, changlings infiltrating...

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

RC Cola posted:

So what happened to the thousands of Dominion ships in the wormhole? Just lost in space and time forever?

I think the scene implies that they just cease to exist. Removed from reality, if you will. But it isn't clearly stated what happens.

Of course, STO simply has them thrown forward in time about 40 years, so the player can fight them.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Delthalaz posted:

-The Romulans were going to take over Vulcan with 3,000 soldiers in completely defenseless transport vessels. Right, they were going to entrench themselves or whatever to make it a fact of life but give me a loving break, you couldn’t even occupy one small city with that number of soldiers, let alone a planet.

For comparison, Jubal Early showed up outside Washington DC with 10,000 troops, threw his hands up and went WELP!, then turned around.

- or-

Hitler and his SA Pals numbering more than 2000 but less than 3000 couldn't successfully take control of Munich.

At least Early knew there was prepared opposition milling around DC. Hitler's crew was a bolt of lighting sucker punch against a soft target, so a bit closer to what the Romulans were up to. Hell, the German surprise attack plans on Switzerland called for about 400,000 men. If you need half a million dudes to take over a country the size of a peanut, the hell do you think you're going to do with 3000?

Numbers aside, what were their overall plans? I mean, if a few thousand Russian or North Korean or whatever soldiers suddenly materialized in the Capitol, White House, and Pentagon and declared themselves in charge, virtually everyone is going to go "....ok" and wait for them to all get shot.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 3, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Like if you were going to infiltrate Vulcan and plant an antimatter bomb in every major city then hold the planet hostage... probably still wouldn't work but you'd at least give the Federation pause with billions of lives on the line.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That's a nice Planet Vulcan you have there. Shame if something happened to... what? It already did? poo poo

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sela's Master Plan! (original content, don't steal!!)

1. Convert respected Vulcanian ambassador Spock
2. Infiltrate Vulcan with fleet of very frowny men in upholstery jackets
3. ????
4. Obtain vengeance against the Federation for mom's abandonment in the past!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Like if you were going to infiltrate Vulcan and plant an antimatter bomb in every major city then hold the planet hostage... probably still wouldn't work but you'd at least give the Federation pause with billions of lives on the line.

This almost exact plan did not work in the Clive Cussler Dad Airport Novel "Dragon," wherein Japanese built cars were secret nuclear weapon carriers hidden throughout the world.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sash! posted:

This almost exact plan did not work in the Clive Cussler Dad Airport Novel "Dragon," wherein Japanese built cars were secret nuclear weapon carriers hidden throughout the world.

And the award for most 80s novel goes to

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sash! posted:

Haha. Those sneaky nuke loving Japs :argh:

Sela is a dumb character, Unification is a dumb episode and a shameful waste of Nimoy. There are some good Romulan episodes to be found in the age of the power shoulder forehead latex Romulans, but this is not one of them. Better not to have brought the character back at all.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Counterpoint: Klingon Opera.

(My mother has that song as the ringtone for when I call. :3:)

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Sash! posted:

Wait this is real

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sash! posted:

Was this before or after they Raised the Titanic

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Insane Totoro posted:

Wait this is real

Don't worry, their plan was foiled by DIRK PITT.

Publication date is 1990, so that's around when Americans were worried Japan was about to economically take over the world instead of fall into a decade-long funk.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Remember the time Tom Clancy wrote about a Japanese guy seeking revenge who then piloted an airliner into Congress?

Oh those innocent days before 9/11

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Insane Totoro posted:

Remember the time Tom Clancy wrote about a Japanese guy seeking revenge who then piloted an airliner into Congress?

poo poo, I remember Clancy being interviewed about it the morning of.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The idea of "giant piece of metal with jet engines on could be dangerous" is so obvious and boring in comparison to some of the crazier poo poo rightwing nuts could write up. Not to mention slightly more realistic. Aside from poo poo like " Iranian manages to infiltrate the Republican Guard of Iraq, murder Saddam and then Iraq just folds like wet tissue paper to Iran who could totally occupy them without issue" that appears later in that book or series, as I recall.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Insane Totoro posted:

To be fair, he was suicidal over some of his family dying during the second US-Japan war in the 90s instead of just kamikaze dude.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Also, for bonus points, Cussler's Valhalla Rising involves an LPG tanker almost being rammed into Lower Manhattan.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
David Ogden Stiers died :(

I’ve always thought Half a Life was an underrated episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVB6bIchRjI

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

evilmiera posted:

The idea of "giant piece of metal with jet engines on could be dangerous" is so obvious and boring in comparison to some of the crazier poo poo rightwing nuts could write up. Not to mention slightly more realistic. Aside from poo poo like " Iranian manages to infiltrate the Republican Guard of Iraq, murder Saddam and then Iraq just folds like wet tissue paper to Iran who could totally occupy them without issue" that appears later in that book or series, as I recall.

This is actually a good point when you get down to it.

Pre 9/11 Tom Clancy seems quite sane given the context.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Insane Totoro posted:

This is actually a good point when you get down to it.

Pre 9/11 Tom Clancy seems quite sane given the context.

Tom Clancy's brain kinda broke with the end of the Soviet Union, I think. He had a good handle on the Soviet Union as antagonists and sometimes reluctant allies. After the Soviet Union dissolved, I think he kept looking for a replacement and never quite found one.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Insane Totoro posted:

The Running Man novel ends with the main character ramming his plane into a massive skyscraper.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

David Ogden Stiers died :(

I’ve always thought Half a Life was an underrated episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVB6bIchRjI

:(

And yes, that was a great episode. Maybe the best Lwaxana ep

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Bloop posted:

:(

And yes, that was a great episode. Maybe the best Lwaxana ep

In TNG yeah but not if you're counting DS9. Odo/Lwaxana forever ship.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

DrNutt posted:

:yeah:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

I can't argue with that.

And for the record, all Lwaxana episodes are good so I'm not damning with faint praise.

The one that sucks is because of Alexander, not her. She's still great. THE HIGHER, THE FEWER

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Rip Bilby
Poor O'Brien

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Cythereal posted:

Tom Clancy's brain kinda broke with the end of the Soviet Union, I think. He had a good handle on the Soviet Union as antagonists and sometimes reluctant allies. After the Soviet Union dissolved, I think he kept looking for a replacement and never quite found one.

This. He also stopped writing technothrillers and moved to sci-fi, action and video game scripts.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

This. He also stopped writing technothrillers and moved to sci-fi, action and video game scripts.

Yeah. Rainbow Six was the only decent post-Soviet one he did and even then the villains were, lol.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TheCenturion posted:

I may be misremembering but I believe Teeth of the Tiger climaxes with the heroes and villains having a shootout and/or a chase between those little electric not-quite-golf-carts at a nuclear waste facility.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why would a shape-shifter stop at one partner?

Man shapeshifter Risa would get really freaky really fast.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Why would a shape-shifter stop at one partner?

Man shapeshifter Risa would get really freaky really fast.

The Great Kink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yay another Brannon Braga doesn't understand evolution episode.

The Xindi homeworlds have 5 species that evolved intelligence, sounds good. If you get genetic samples from those species you'll find they're all from the same world because they're more closely related to each other than to other races that evolved on different planets, sounds good.

They're also more closely related to each other than humans are to chimpanzees, more like the relationship between homo sapiens and homo neanderthalensis. Except...this Xindi is a primate with warm blood and skin, and this other one is a reptile with cold blood and scales...whaaaat :confused: