Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

I was at a panel once with him and he mentioned he tried this and the result was awful and he will never show anyone

I can’t even imagine what that would be like with an author who is out of touch with drinking let alone fighting and loving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

mewse posted:

I can’t even imagine what that would be like with an author who is out of touch with drinking let alone fighting and loving

Lets be real what fantasy author is "in touch" with fighting or even loving all that much?

mewse
May 2, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Lets be real what fantasy author is "in touch" with fighting or even loving all that much?

GRRM is basically a virtuoso at writing sex and violence

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mewse posted:

GRRM is basically a virtuoso at writing sex and violence

At including sex and violence, for sure...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

At including sex and violence, for sure...

I'm sure to his fans it looks masterful.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I would say GRRM is legitimately good at writing violence. Better not to speak of his sex scenes.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The Bad Thread came up with better sex scenes than the GURM. And this gets us back on the topic of what the gently caress is all the fantasy writer's obsession with rape.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Who could do justice to GRRMs "vision" of overly detailed fantasy rape perversions? Hopefully they tap Terry Goodkind.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
As long as Tyrion goes on some kind of John Galt 100 page speech at the end. :lol:

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
In WoK when Shallan goes to shadesmar how does that work as she doesn't have access to transportation?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Strumpy posted:

In WoK when Shallan goes to shadesmar how does that work as she doesn't have access to transportation?

You need either access to transportation or transformation (soulcasting) to get there. Which explains why Elsecallers are the best at it, since they have access to both.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Strumpy posted:

I think her body actually stays behind, she's doing the equivalent of astrally projecting her mind.

It's interesting how Jasnah sends her back. Jasnah grabs her in Shadesmar and shoves her into a small flame (which seem to represent souls in Shadesmar) after which Shallan falls to the floor back in the normal world. I think Jasnah was basically shoving Shallans projected mind back into her soul&body.

Jasnah at this point also doesn't realize Shallan is from a different order, so she might be misunderstanding the "danger" of what Shallan is doing, that Shallan can't actually physically move herself into Shadesmar. Perhaps when glimpsing into Shadesmar to soulcast, its a one and done thing. Once you change something, its auto exit back to the normal world.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

26 chapters into Fires of Heaven.

Holy gently caress this is boring as hell, ughhhhhh.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

26 chapters into Fires of Heaven.

Holy gently caress this is boring as hell, ughhhhhh.

Really? I liked that book.

You get a big confrontation with the Shaido later on, and the next "action scene" starts in about 5 chapters.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
If that one bores you, read something else. It only gets worse.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

BananaNutkins posted:

If that one bores you, read something else. It only gets worse.

Yeah, for real.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Really? I liked that book.

You get a big confrontation with the Shaido later on, and the next "action scene" starts in about 5 chapters.

I assumed they’d catch up with the Shaido sooner or later. I guess the trolloc attack while there in the pass was cool but it lasted like 43 seconds.

I think I’m more annoyed that they just spend a stupid amount of time on the Aes Sedai stuff, which takes forever to go anywhere.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Aes Sedai plot hook at the end of Book 4 was basically the only thing that made me reluctant about giving up the series after I finished that book :v:

I just finished Kingkiller Chronicle and was debating if I wanted to pick up WoT again but this discussion was me conflicted even further about if I want to. I suppose it just peters about for hundreds of pages rather than actually going somewhere?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Just finished Edgedancer, I can get why some people disliked it. It was anime as hell at times, but I found that over-the-top-ness fun and charming.

Like Lift crashing into the trees that fall over, that’s a scene I can imagine happening in a cartoon.

It was a fun little romp, and I enjoyed reading through Lift deliberately hiding her understanding to try and preserve her innocence even as she helps everyone around her. Or picking fights with demigods

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sab669 posted:

The Aes Sedai plot hook at the end of Book 4 was basically the only thing that made me reluctant about giving up the series after I finished that book :v:

I just finished Kingkiller Chronicle and was debating if I wanted to pick up WoT again but this discussion was me conflicted even further about if I want to. I suppose it just peters about for hundreds of pages rather than actually going somewhere?

Books 9 and 10 are huge slogs. I don't think I've ever heard anyone but the most hardcore argue against that.

The only question is if you think books 7 and 8 are slow, too. That's sort of the tipping point. A couple of slow books in the back half of a 14-book series is unfortunate. Four lovely books in a row is unforgivable for most.

I'm of the opinion that the entire series is worth reading once. Skim a synopsis of those crappy books if you must (although i really recommend reading the final few Rand chapters of Book 9).

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 12, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DarkHorse posted:

Just finished Edgedancer, I can get why some people disliked it. It was anime as hell at times, but I found that over-the-top-ness fun and charming.

Like Lift crashing into the trees that fall over, that’s a scene I can imagine happening in a cartoon.

It was a fun little romp, and I enjoyed reading through Lift deliberately hiding her understanding to try and preserve her innocence even as she helps everyone around her. Or picking fights with demigods

Lift is great.

Like you, I can understand why some people dislike her, but I don't agree with them at all.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wayne and Lift need to meet.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Potato Salad posted:

Wayne and Lift need to meet.

Wayne and Lopen need to meet.

I'd read the poo poo out of Wayne and Lopen's Excellent Adventure.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ConfusedUs posted:

Wayne and Lopen need to meet.

I'd read the poo poo out of Wayne and Lopen's Excellent Adventure.

I want the male Audible narrator to give us a Wayne / Lopen accent "Righteous"

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Wayne and Lopen can't meet because that would just invalidate all of Hoid's stupid schemes and plans and poo poo in one burst of searing awesomeness. Plus I'm quite sure Wayne would rapidly end up bonded to every one of the great spren on Roshar leaving not a loving one for anyone else. All of the spren would be certain that they'd bonded a different person.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Wayne would hit the 5th level of Cryptic bond in record time. He'd pretty probably find lightweaving too dull and easy compared to normal disguises and method acting and never use it though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Odium's last word before he fades will be, "Wait... what?"

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Ha, it appears I spoke too soon. Just got a couple good chapters finally! And Rand finally got to get it on with Aviendha!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Proteus Jones posted:

Odium's last word before he fades will be, "Wait... what?"

No, it'll be "...you? No!" and then we won't find out what happened for another decade.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ha, it appears I spoke too soon. Just got a couple good chapters finally! And Rand finally got to get it on with Aviendha!

That happens first in Winter's Heart, doesn't it? I thought that one was pretty good in parts. I liked all the build up to the black tower and arming everyone with crossbows on the battlefield.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BananaNutkins posted:

That happens first in Winter's Heart, doesn't it? I thought that one was pretty good in parts. I liked all the build up to the black tower and arming everyone with crossbows on the battlefield.

She took her portal to some mystery winter Seanchan land and they boned after he saved her life. All because she's dumb and ran away after he saw her naked.

Must have not gotten to whatever that black tower thing is yet... Them and the Aiel were about to head to Cairhein to stop the Shaido from attacking the city.

On a side note, it's annoying that I have to keep googling how to spell everything because I'm listening to the audiobook. I didn't even know how to start spelling what the dream world was called. Telirunriod. Tel'aran'rhiod. Close enough.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

NecroMonster posted:

Wayne and Lopen can't meet because that would just invalidate all of Hoid's stupid schemes and plans and poo poo in one burst of searing awesomeness.

You say all this like it's a bad thing. As mysterious and intriguing as Hoid is, I would LOVE to see him taken down a peg or two.

Wayne is probably my favorite Sanderson character. As of the end of Bands of Mourning, I'm pretty sure that it's Wayne, not Wax, who will be best-remembered and celebrated by future generations. His philanthropic efforts in pushing scientific progress will revolutionize Scadriel. Wax will be remembered as a Wyatt Earp type, a folk hero, but Wayne is going to be their Edison.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

You say all this like it's a bad thing. As mysterious and intriguing as Hoid is, I would LOVE to see him taken down a peg or two.

Wayne is probably my favorite Sanderson character. As of the end of Bands of Mourning, I'm pretty sure that it's Wayne, not Wax, who will be best-remembered and celebrated by future generations. His philanthropic efforts in pushing scientific progress will revolutionize Scadriel. Wax will be remembered as a Wyatt Earp type, a folk hero, but Wayne is going to be their Edison.

edison was a fucker who sucked

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

scary ghost dog posted:

edison was a fucker who sucked

Yes he was a dick but he was the face of a technological revolution.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Don't forget that Wayne appears to be the first person to start a real relationship with a member of a dying race.

Unless Sazed actually intends the Kandra to die off, I expect this will lead somewhere.

mewse
May 2, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

Don't forget that Wayne appears to be the first person to start a real relationship with a member of a dying race.

Unless Sazed actually intends the Kandra to die off, I expect this will lead somewhere.

Lol Wayne starting a new race of half kandras would be so silly

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

mewse posted:

Lol Wayne starting a new race of half kandras would be so silly

Imagine what anyone raised by Wayne and MeLaan would be like.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

Imagine what anyone raised by Wayne and MeLaan would be like.

aggressively, boringly, normal

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Tunicate posted:

aggressively, boringly, normal

a normal so honed and sharp that everyone who interacts with them ends up committed to the nearest asylum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

NecroMonster posted:

I really hope he doesn’t want to kill them off, because Kandra are awesome. I just reread Hero of Ages and OreSeur and TenSoon are just cool peeps. To say nothing of what’s in the Wax and Wayne books.

Like, depending on the implications, I can totally imagine people about to die anyway being willing to be the source of a hemalurgic spike for a new Kandra.