Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean you don’t like actually lift your thumb off the pad, just slide it around to each direction when nothing is pressed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If the d-pad is being used like buttons ala Dark Souls, I'd lift my thumb to hit each direction like it was it's own button.

If it's being used for controlling the character ala Shovel Knight or whatever retro indie game you're playing, I'd keep my thumb on the pad and slide/rotate my thumb according to which direction I want to go, almost like a thumbstick.

I can't for the life of me imagine anyone trying to use the four directions like buttons when controlling a character. That would be weird and uncomfortable and probably really janky.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

If the d-pad is being used like buttons ala Dark Souls, I'd lift my thumb to hit each direction like it was it's own button.

If it's being used for controlling the character ala Shovel Knight or whatever retro indie game you're playing, I'd keep my thumb on the pad and slide/rotate my thumb according to which direction I want to go, almost like a thumbstick.

I can't for the life of me imagine anyone trying to use the four directions like buttons when controlling a character. That would be weird and uncomfortable and probably really janky.

Uh yeah this.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah i dont rock so everything is fine guys

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 4, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Celeste becomes an utterly miserable experience with the Pro Controller D-pad due to how precise your inputs have to be overall. The Pro Controller D-pad is just way too sensitive.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've heard all kinds of discussions that reveal that some people use game controllers really differently than others, and sometimes in ways I can't even picture the physical reality of in my head, but this is a first for me.

I remember a kid who'd play his 3DS with it on the table and his two index fingers. I'd try to get him to use his thumbs but he didn't like holding it. Beat Return to DKC like this though I think he used Easy mode a lot.

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
It's actually astonishing how bad the kirby demo is

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Felt like playing my Switch for the first time in like a month and oh hey my right joycon won't connect, at all, even on the physical rail.

If you hold the sync button it'll try and sync for a good 2-3 minutes then shut off. Sliding it onto the rail shows the animation on the right of the screen, but it never actually 'sees' it. Left one works just dandy.

I can't even force it to de-pair, because that screen requires you to push the X button.

To top it off, Nintendo AU doesn't have a 1800 number for support.

gently caress.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

saltyslug posted:

It's actually astonishing how bad the kirby demo is

What were you expecting? It's more than fine for a Kirby game.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Felt like playing my Switch for the first time in like a month and oh hey my right joycon won't connect, at all, even on the physical rail.

If you hold the sync button it'll try and sync for a good 2-3 minutes then shut off. Sliding it onto the rail shows the animation on the right of the screen, but it never actually 'sees' it. Left one works just dandy.

I can't even force it to de-pair, because that screen requires you to push the X button.

To top it off, Nintendo AU doesn't have a 1800 number for support.

gently caress.

You can use the touch screen to depair it i think.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DoctorWhat posted:

You can use the touch screen to depair it i think.

You would think so, with the big X in the middle of the screen, but it doesn't do anything if you tap or hold it.

e: Either that or it has to recognise both being attached to write to them and delete the pairing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow once you get over 2000 on MK8 online you start to get in games with majority 4000-6000 score players and poo poo is BRUTAL

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I kinda agree on how bad the demo is. It's a tutorial level and then like, 4 random levels randomly spliced together with 0 rhyme or reason. It's gameplay is fun but I dislike how it was handled.

Unless dudes just poo poo-talking the gameplay in which case sorry about sadbrains

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I remember a kid who'd play his 3DS with it on the table and his two index fingers. I'd try to get him to use his thumbs but he didn't like holding it. Beat Return to DKC like this though I think he used Easy mode a lot.

I did that with a few games.

Next question: do y'all use the top of your thumb or the part where the crease is?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I find it easier to lift my toe while using the D-Pad since it’s not as easy to slide your big toe across it, plus I have to hold my feet at an odd angle to hit the L buttons. As a bonus I get less toe sweat and dirt on my D-Pad by not sliding my toe all over it, something that’s already ruined my touch screen’s matte finish. Luckily none of my friends and family have noticed my toe sweat so far when playing with my Switch and controllers.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

When you have to push a button really fast do you press it or do you slide your finger across it back and forth?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I use my tongue, which gets unpleasant when I can taste the toe sweat residue.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Add me to the tally of people who push the edges of the dpad instead of rolling, and have had relatively little issue with the Pro Controller dpad (besides it being a little small)

This may be due to the fact that my first controller was an Xbox 360 wireless for PC.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Strawberry Panda posted:

I did that with a few games.

Next question: do y'all use the top of your thumb or the part where the crease is?

.......I’m starting to think some of you just have broken thumbs

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Strawberry Panda posted:

We’re just making stuff up now right? Right???

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mario Rabbids (and Just Dance 2018, I guess) are $30 this week at Best Buy, $24 for GCU members. The Pro controller D-pad is a piece of poo poo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Everyone, take a deep breath.

Now take another.

It does not matter to you how other people use their controllers.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hell yeah

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
gently caress anyone who doesn't do THE CLAW honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnW-ganA2cM

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Manky posted:

Hell yeah

Obviously they're playing Mario Kart and the guy in the middle seat got the item that reverses his controls.

[Edit: seriously though I'm kinda surprised that Kojima never had a MGS boss that required you to hold the controller backwards.]

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I'm glad for detached joy cons because I can hold the right one in my hand and place the left one under my balls for movement

Sucks that only Nintendo consoles cater to my playstyle

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Everytime I watch a movie where a character is playing video games I silently judge their controller form.

Naomi Watts really sucks at Gears of War.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

why are so many people complaining about the d-pad when there's a perfectly good and precise analog stick right above it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please come to the sim racing megathread if you would like to have serious footgaming chat. We discuss the pros and cons of barefoot vs socks vs slippers, heels, toes, etc.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Takoluka posted:

why are so many people complaining about the d-pad when there's a perfectly good and precise analog stick right above it

Yeah I don’t use the D-pad for any 2D games so this whole thing doesn’t make any sense to me to begin with

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah I don’t use the D-pad for any 2D games so this whole thing doesn’t make any sense to me to begin with

Please.....stop trolling!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha I’m honestly just stating things that are second nature to me and 90% of the people I know :shrug:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The ones who shove JoyCons up their butts were right all along.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mega64 posted:

The ones who shove JoyCons up their butts were right all along.
Anal-log controls are the best.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Wow once you get over 2000 on MK8 online you start to get in games with majority 4000-6000 score players and poo poo is BRUTAL

Wait until you get over 3000 that's when the real poo poo starts. No one tell them why.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m guessing that’s when you start getting 200cc matches?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m guessing that’s when you start getting 200cc matches?

.. Yeah... Ruin my fun why don't you.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

uh ok

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haha yeah I love the terrible art in that game. The puzzles to get the terrible art are great though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Switch's main problem is only having two Picross games one year in.

• Locked thread