Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Do namelists disable achievements? I can't find a definitive answer for this version. All the posts I can find about it are from a year ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Eiba posted:

After I put my butterfly people's brains in robot bodies, a bunch of repugnant porcupine refugees flooded into a planet I just settled. They were being hosed up but a great khan, but they were fanatic purifiers so while I'm typically sympathetic to refugees, I wasn't so happy to get these bloodthirsty xenophobic ones. And what's more the plannet the flooded was supposed to be a mineral base as my butterflies could only live on their gaia home world and habitats. Well, I guess as robots they could live anywhere, but out of habit (and a science specialization) I kept them mainly in habitats, and filled my mining worlds with synths.

But now the world was filled with porcupines. Kind of frustrated until I find the "assimilate" citizenship option. That's... kind of creepy, but I'm egalitarian and it's still allowed so surely it's not as hosed up as I'm imagining, right?

Well, after a few years they're all my primary species. That is kind of hosed up. I assumed they'd become robot versions of their own species, but nope. They were assimilated.

Feeling kind of bad, and still needing minerals on that planet, I mod all the memebers of my species living on that planet, who all used to be porcupines, into their own form of (mining specialized) robots. Surely this will make everyone happy.

Unfortunately now my leader and half my scientists, who have been around since I started the game, are porcupine-style mining bots.

The leader modification system might need another look taken at it.

Man I can't stop laughing at that drat ugly porcupines just overrunning your empire.

Magil Zeal posted:

This is the thing I'm talking about when I say the worst part of Stellaris is sitting around waiting. Now I can't demand vassalization/tribute from the two nearby nations I want to target because they're at war. So I have to sit on my thumbs like a good Slaving Despot and wait for them to finish their other wars before I can get the subjugate casus belli. Woo.

Yeah I don't know why they've got it like that. Seems like if you vassal them while they're at war they could just insta-status quo or something like that.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

GorfZaplen posted:

Do namelists disable achievements? I can't find a definitive answer for this version. All the posts I can find about it are from a year ago

They still disable achievements.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

They still disable achievements.

Thank you.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Wolpertinger posted:

So I was thinking - why is armageddon bombing so horrible that only a purifier can do it, meanwhile even a pacifist empire can whip up a planet cracker or neutron beams? Plus, in a game where expansion is punished, xeno pops are a liability and you invade more to limit the enemy than take new territory, all but the most friendly of empires are pretty much encouraged to crack (or shield) enemy planets to deny them from your enemy instead of increase your unity/research costs, it's suddenly the most effective for everyone to behave in a purifier-ish manner, and using armies in general just seems like a really awful idea and a waste of time over just erasing planets/pops.

I feel like apocalypse diluted fanatic purifiers a bit, Armageddon bombing being exclusively theirs doesn't really fit as far as things go. I almost wonder if it would have fit better if planet cracker colossi required a point in xenophobe or if there was more incentive to take planets instead of destroy/shield them.

Well Colossi do come with a universal Total War casus belli, so part of the Perk benefit is that your society has finally reached the point where you can drop all the space nukes on Space Japan without anyone protesting. For what it's worth, pacifists actually cannot build the Planet Cracker, though they probably do get the Neutron Sweep if they're materialists.

Plus I dunno what the deal with this "expansion is punished" nonsense is. You stack some small modifiers, but being bigger is basically always better, especially if you've already unlocked four perks.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Threat dissipates over time, yeah? I'd have thought that the presence of a genocidal race's massive empire would always be a constant threat to empires, encouraging them to ally up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Basically tech/unity don't scale linearly with territory, but minerals and energy do and those are what you need to fight wars, so if you're an expansionist empire, your expansion plays to your strength.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
There is something seeeeriously messed up with army leader experience. I've taken half a dozen planets with my general and they're still sitting at 53/200 experience to go up to level 2.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

toasterwarrior posted:

Threat dissipates over time, yeah? I'd have thought that the presence of a genocidal race's massive empire would always be a constant threat to empires, encouraging them to ally up.

Threat does dissipate if I'm remembering right, but being a space rear end in a top hat will cause plenty of other anger (Border friction, opinion penalties for being xenophobic/slavery policy/etc., additional reducing-over-time penalties from genocides or the like) and most of these things take decades to go away, plus mutual rival diplo bonuses can help people ally up. It's not perfect and diplo needs work for sure, but that particular issue is not a major one.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Strudel Man posted:

There is something seeeeriously messed up with army leader experience. I've taken half a dozen planets with my general and they're still sitting at 53/200 experience to go up to level 2.

it's pretty brutal considering generals have the highest casualty rates of any leader p much

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

What are your strategies for the Stellarite Devourer? I just went at it with 30k+ fleet set up with lasers since it has no shields, and it absolutely wrecked me, kiting around the system. Did it get buffed in 2.0? Pondering just making a massive plasma vette fleet.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well Colossi do come with a universal Total War casus belli, so part of the Perk benefit is that your society has finally reached the point where you can drop all the space nukes on Space Japan without anyone protesting. For what it's worth, pacifists actually cannot build the Planet Cracker, though they probably do get the Neutron Sweep if they're materialists.

Plus I dunno what the deal with this "expansion is punished" nonsense is. You stack some small modifiers, but being bigger is basically always better, especially if you've already unlocked four perks.

Yeah once the Colossi CB isn't bugged it'll be a lot better. Because right now you can't use it unless you rival someone i believe? But you can't rival if they don't border you or if they're too strong/weak. Like ended up having to dump ~300 influence on a claim just so I could grab the colossus cheevo.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Eltoasto posted:

What are your strategies for the Stellarite Devourer? I just went at it with 30k+ fleet set up with lasers since it has no shields, and it absolutely wrecked me, kiting around the system. Did it get buffed in 2.0? Pondering just making a massive plasma vette fleet.

Corvette swarms seem really good right now, especially because they can carry point defense in the new patch. Also, Autocannons are pretty boss in small slots.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
aaaaaaaaa, this still has the annoying assimilation behavior where any time a pop is assimilated, the species it's assimilated to is granted full citizenship. That works more or less with the Dreaded Assimilators, since all drones are equal, but it's utter nonsense with cybernetics and with psionics, the latter of which now uses the assimilation citizenship type as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

Your best bet is either plasma, or mining drone lasers. Missiles will also do extra hull damage. Normal lasers don't do any extra damage to hull but they will help with armour some. Plasma is much better though.

I almost knocked it out with a 14k fleet of torpedo corvettes plus the dreadnought.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

30k just doesn't have the alpha strike capability to comfortably kill the devourer. 40k can just barely manage it, but you'll lose nearly the whole fleet even with plasma and the curator buff. even a corvette fleet is going to take pretty enormous attrition because its XL laser can insta-kill anything and i don't think i've ever seen it miss.

PD helps, as one of its weapons seems to technically be a missile.

OwlFancier posted:

Your best bet is either plasma, or mining drone lasers. Missiles will also do extra hull damage. Normal lasers don't do any extra damage to hull but they will help with armour some. Plasma is much better though.

I almost knocked it out with a 14k fleet of torpedo corvettes plus the dreadnought.

torpedos probably are actually the best option, then! 14k of plasma corvettes would not be able to do that.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 4, 2018

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Also, are jump drives...working? I just equipped my fleet with them, and they still seem to be using hyperdrives. Not only in the visual sense, it actually still says "entering hyperlane to [blank]" when passing between systems.

PRAISE THE SUN
Feb 1, 2018
Ugh the autobuild mod broke and it's button isn't showing up.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Also, are jump drives...working? I just equipped my fleet with them, and they still seem to be using hyperdrives. Not only in the visual sense, it actually still says "entering hyperlane to [blank]" when passing between systems.

Jumpdrives are different now. There's a button up in the top row when you select a fleet with jumpdrives, you click that, then a system within range, and they'll jump to it. But there's a 120 day cooldown between jumps (and you suffer a sizable debuff while they're recharging). Psi jump drives are much better if you can get them.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Pylons posted:

Jumpdrives are different now. There's a button up in the top row when you select a fleet with jumpdrives, you click that, then a system within range, and they'll jump to it. But there's a 120 day cooldown between jumps (and you suffer a sizable debuff while they're recharging). Psi jump drives are much better if you can get them.
Wow, is that ever non-obvious.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

it's pretty brutal considering generals have the highest casualty rates of any leader p much

I agree. Until I got a psionic avatar army and attached my general specifically to it they would have a pretty good chance of dying in any given invasion.

Pylons posted:

Psi Jump is awesome. I got it super early in my Fanatic Authoritarian/Spiritualist slaver run, like my very first visit to the shroud was like "hey here have psi jump drive" and I got it before Hyperdrive III as a result. It rules, you can skip so much space, and my science ships got to explore those narrow corridors blocked off by other empires with a little micro.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 4, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Jump drive cooldown display when? :argh:

Is it just me or are combat computer behaviours not really doing anything? I tried going carriers*, putting strike craft on my cruisers and battleships and setting them to "artillery" mode, but they just kept charging in to battle anyway.

* Man is it ever disappointing how much strike craft suck. My 35k fleet jumped up to 55k when I replaced the strike craft with large weapons, and my fleet stopped getting its poo poo pushed in by like 30k worth of space mongol stations and ships and I could finally wipe them off the face of the galaxy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jazerus posted:

30k just doesn't have the alpha strike capability to comfortably kill the devourer. 40k can just barely manage it, but you'll lose nearly the whole fleet even with plasma and the curator buff. even a corvette fleet is going to take pretty enormous attrition because its XL laser can insta-kill anything and i don't think i've ever seen it miss.

PD helps, as one of its weapons seems to technically be a missile.

torpedos probably are actually the best option, then! 14k of plasma corvettes would not be able to do that.

Eh, no plasma would probably work better, torpedoes are good against armour but they can't alpha strike it either. You just want maximum damage to hull because the thing is mostly hull, and plasma is very good against both armour and hull. Torpedoes are mostly good at bypassing shields which it doesn't have.

I had like 120 corvettes total and while it will basically one shot everything it shoots at, it can only shot one thing at a time so the more ships you bring the better.

E: Though that said, torpedoes are a high damage weapon in general, while S mount plasma is more tracking focused. You might actually do better with M/L destroyers wielding plasma because the bigger the mount you use, the more DPS efficient you get, but you lose tracking in the process, so if the thing can't dodge then you might find M/L destroyers quite effective, they might also be tough enough to take a hit from some of its weapons too, maybe retreat, so it might prove less costly.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 4, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

GotLag posted:

Is it just me or are combat computer behaviours not really doing anything? I tried going carriers*, putting strike craft on my cruisers and battleships and setting them to "artillery" mode, but they just kept charging in to battle anyway.

There seems to be a difference in behavior between say swarm and artillery, artillery will sort of sit still and fire while swam will circle the enemy. However the artillery computer's range bonus doesn't work so it's bad, and it probably hurts the behavior there.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Soonmot posted:

Is there a bug where you can't hyperlane into systems? Twice, in two different wars, I couldn't enter the enemy system. Lanes were blue, but my fleet wouldn't do it. This recent time, I had jump drives and was able to jump in, but it totally detailed my earlier war.

What's probably happened is you've taken the station in the system but left the planets. The planets have FTL inhibitors if they have strongholds on them.
It can make war a slog when you have to bomb down and invade places so you can move freely!

And still no answer for if you can see which systems are the targets of a federation war. Man the new war thing really is a bit of an arse, I like it being totally clear what war has been declared for. In a perfect world your allies would actually go for the things they've declared war to grab but they don't so it's up to me to just randomly grab stuff until I find out what's meant to be grabbed!

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 4, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Eh, no plasma would probably work better, torpedoes are good against armour but they can't alpha strike it either. You just want maximum damage to hull because the thing is mostly hull, and plasma is very good against both armour and hull. Torpedoes are mostly good at bypassing shields which it doesn't have.

I had like 120 corvettes total and while it will basically one shot everything it shoots at, it can only shot one thing at a time so the more ships you bring the better.

E: Though that said, torpedoes are a high damage weapon in general, while S mount plasma is more tracking focused. You might actually do better with M/L destroyers wielding plasma because the bigger the mount you use, the more DPS efficient you get, but you lose tracking in the process, so if the thing can't dodge then you might find M/L destroyers quite effective, they might also be tough enough to take a hit from some of its weapons too, maybe retreat, so it might prove less costly.

yes, i think torpedoes are probably the way to go because they are effectively corvette-mounted L slot weapons, which means you can maintain a dual advantage over the devourer

GotLag posted:

Jump drive cooldown display when? :argh:

* Man is it ever disappointing how much strike craft suck. My 35k fleet jumped up to 55k when I replaced the strike craft with large weapons, and my fleet stopped getting its poo poo pushed in by like 30k worth of space mongol stations and ships and I could finally wipe them off the face of the galaxy.

weapon range is also important for how the ship interprets its combat behavior; if you want a ship to hang way back, it can't be using medium or small weapons. this means, unintuitively, that the best carrier set up doesn't actually hang back at all; carrier cruisers with M and S weapons and a picket behavior will hang out close to the battle, but between the swarm and the line most of the time. artillery-type ships with large weapons are going to be the biggest threat to a cruiser no matter where it is on the field while small weapons are not such a concern, so this seems to be a good position to maximize strike craft uptime and let your PD intercept missiles headed for the line and artillery. strike craft do kinda suck unfortunately, but you also get PD in the bargain, which actually seems quite effective now.

in general, the computers seem to nudge the AI into grouping into 4 different positions in the battle, swarm -> picket -> line -> artillery, but their weapon ranges must be suited for the role the computer is intended to play or they will charge in close.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've been warned away from using cruisers due to them not being particularly cost-effective; will Destroyers with small weapons hovering around the "line" engagement range still contribute to the fight? Or should I just spec them as "artillery" destroyers + 1 medium weapon and leave the point defense to the corvettes?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Magil Zeal posted:

There seems to be a difference in behavior between say swarm and artillery, artillery will sort of sit still and fire while swam will circle the enemy. However the artillery computer's range bonus doesn't work so it's bad, and it probably hurts the behavior there.

Yeah, you still want Artillery on anything with X- or T-size guns, since those can only fire on ships they're facing directly, so you want to keep as far from the field as possible. Swarm does its best to gently caress up large guns, while Line will set up at medium range and focus on anything trying to make a move for your Artillery backline. Picket also gets all up in the enemies face, but tries to screen the Line, as well.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
I find it extremely weird that destroyers don't have any missile slots at all.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

I've been warned away from using cruisers due to them not being particularly cost-effective; will Destroyers with small weapons hovering around the "line" engagement range still contribute to the fight? Or should I just spec them as "artillery" destroyers + 1 medium weapon and leave the point defense to the corvettes?

I've had mediocre results with line destroyers. I tried it for a while but I found that in large engagements they tended to evaporate very quickly without contributing much. I was fighting the Contingency so I ended up swapping out for line cruisers instead and they were meaty enough that my reinforcement costs went way down. A full corvette swarm would probably have been even better but I just didn't feel like designing new models and fiddling with the fleet manager to add them all.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
So. Weird game.

One side of my galaxy, literally split down the middle, is full of peaceful Federation Builders and Erudite Explorers and so on, who have blobbed up into a Federation since pretty early.

The other side of the galaxy is filled with Hegemonic Imperialists, Fanatic Purifiers and Slaving Despots and other mean types.

It's... kind of odd?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, you still want Artillery on anything with X- or T-size guns, since those can only fire on ships they're facing directly, so you want to keep as far from the field as possible. Swarm does its best to gently caress up large guns, while Line will set up at medium range and focus on anything trying to make a move for your Artillery backline. Picket also gets all up in the enemies face, but tries to screen the Line, as well.

Picket also comes with a hefty tracking bonus which makes it very good for larger ships being used to take out smaller craft.

You may also consider that if you have the No Retreat doctrine available, larger craft will likely be better for you, because No Retreat will lead to abhorrent losses with corvettes, but on big ships you will probably benefit more from the fire rate improvement.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Fleet manager seems to work on ship names, so if you overwrite a corvette with a destroyer design you can go massively over the fleet limit and if you try to reduce the number of ships you end up at -10/20 or something.

Is this due to the fix that means retrofitting ships are considered the same in fleets?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wolpertinger posted:

So I was thinking - why is armageddon bombing so horrible that only a purifier can do it, meanwhile even a pacifist empire can whip up a planet cracker or neutron beams? Plus, in a game where expansion is punished, xeno pops are a liability and you invade more to limit the enemy than take new territory, all but the most friendly of empires are pretty much encouraged to crack (or shield) enemy planets to deny them from your enemy instead of increase your unity/research costs, it's suddenly the most effective for everyone to behave in a purifier-ish manner, and using armies in general just seems like a really awful idea and a waste of time over just erasing planets/pops.

I feel like apocalypse diluted fanatic purifiers a bit, Armageddon bombing being exclusively theirs doesn't really fit as far as things go. I almost wonder if it would have fit better if planet cracker colossi required a point in xenophobe or if there was more incentive to take planets instead of destroy/shield them.
Expansion isn't punished, it's mitigated. If you have one planet, then pick up a second planet, your potential unity output is doubled. The game increases your unity costs by 20% for the planet, plus say another 10% for the system's needed to get that planet, meaning your potential unity generation has only effectively increased by ~50%. Three planets, 87% increase over 1 or ~25% over 2 etc. It's slightly messier due to unique or limited buildings, and you're going to see a drop after 5 or 6 planets due to a lack of art pieces, but there is no point when a fully developed planet is not a net unity boost, and that's ignoring that unity increases with each perk purchased too. Research is an even bigger no brainer.

What the game does do is punish rapid expansion without development but there is no mechanical downside and a lot of mechanical upsides to slow, steady expansion. Stealing already developed planets combines the upsides of slow steady expansion with the speed of rapid expansion at the cost of rebellious pops and ship death.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
So I was looking over the AI Personalities, and noticed that Determined Exterminators no longer have border friction, but do have a whopping +200 opinion towards other Exterminators. I've now set up a game where I'm all buddy-buddy with my fellow Exterminators in the Synthetic Defense League in our half of the galaxy. The other half of the galaxy is filled with filthy organics and biophiles, some wishy-washy Machine Intelligences, and a single noble Exterminator too far away to join our federation. It's kinda fun, really.

edit: The last Exterminator asked to join up, sending the following message: "Allow us to federate with you, NEX, and together we shall exterminate the biomass that pollutes this galaxy" :allears: Sure thing buddies, welcome aboard.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 4, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think my next run will by Gaia dudes pushing for Habitats, Ringworlds, and Colossi. All other planets suck, blow them up for parts.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Maybe I'm just really dumb on the ethics and expectations of bug reporting but I find the 100 character limit for bug reports really infuriating. So much so I'm expecting to be banned for posting it as a normal thread:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...mplate.1075385/

That error message made me far more angrier than I'd like.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, generals get about 10 XP per conquered planet, which is crazy given how many troops seem to die in Somme-like meatgrinders whenever I invade anywhere.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've got a Xenophobe fallen empire that's awakened but they're not attacking anyone. They pushed out to their "natural borders" and now are just sat there.
They border some inferior slaving turkeys and a fallen empire that's just had their heads kicked in by some spiritual pigs (fallen empires now only have 100k of troops, not too hard).

I don't understand why they aren't attacking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I think there should be an 'invasion' war policy thst lets you mod how your armies attack a planet. Right now there still isn't much point in having more than one army since even with combat width slowing down invasions it still takes only amonth or two to conquer most planets. I'd like an option to 'siege' planets: land my guys and leave them there for half a year or more. Armies would deal less much less damage and have a higher chance of disengaging, so you probably wouldn't lose any armies in each invasion but they would each take upwards of a year or more. This would encourage multiple armies with multiple generals. Right now you only need 1 army with (combat width + expected casulaties) troops.