Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tomn posted:

The key is that you don't HAVE to build every fleet up to its full command limit - doing so is likely overkill and reduces flexibility since you only have the one roving hammer while your enemies stream past you with weaker fleets to gently caress up your rear areas.

This advice falls apart when fighting an FE though, because you will absolutely need every ship you can muster and your admirals will emergency FTL if their individual fleets get reduced too much, while the FE fleet refocuses on the remaining ships.

I had three capped fleets with a deliberate armor+pd choice against a kinetic FE (they're usually kinetic or energy focused) and it was close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Well it was a good run, but I'm going to have to throw in the towel on my first game. It started out pretty well; I claimed a good homeland by putting down bases in key chokepoints, and my fleet was strong enough to make any of my fleshy neighbors think twice about messing with me. I even managed to get over half the races to like me, despite my desire to (eventually) assimilate everyone.

It all fell apart shortly before the Contingency showed up. One of the FEs awakened into conquerors, then the FE caretakers went berserk (though thankfully they were next to the conquerors, so they got smacked down). Then the Contingency rolled in with 130k fleets, and while I held them out of my space for a little while, eventually they started shooting out the star fortresses from under me.

I did finally find a ship design that could punch up enough to take a bite out of their roaming fleets, but by then it was too late. Even if I had the income to support the number of fleets I needed, by that point they had spread through over half the galaxy and there was no one left who was even a speedbump to them.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

TalonDemonKing posted:

Is it just me or is there no real purpose to having more than 1 governor, 1 general, and 1 admiral? One governor takes care of all your core systems, 1 general for your attacking army, and 1 admiral for your 1 fleet (I never seem to any more capacity than my fleet size that wouldn't be a smidge of corvets or something useless.)

Invest in Anchorages. Having two fleets near max capacity is really good.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is a fallen empire waking up considered a endgame crisis?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Devourer trip report: Pickets don't do anything against it's missiles so don't bother with them. 60 corvetters with torp/plasma got it to half health or so, but refitting them to be all plasma seemed to do nothing. Guess I need to, uh, get 100 of them or so.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Dongattack posted:

I'd consider it a late mid-game crisis since it shakes up the balance of power in the galaxy but isn't a galaxy ending threat.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

GorfZaplen posted:

I'd consider it a late mid-game crisis since it shakes up the balance of power in the galaxy but isn't a galaxy ending threat.

Ah okay, mine is running late and i'm excited to see what it is.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dongattack posted:

Midgame-ish. They'll have 100-150k in fleet power, and it will be in special FE-only ships that outperform normal vessels. They typically awaken when your fleets are big enough to fight them, though, and they replace ships slowly.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

GunnerJ posted:

Nothing particularly optimal.

Didn't write out the fluff, but the idea is that these little hobbit looking guys went ahead and built fully automated luxury gay space communism and then the part of the automation responsible for defending them became self aware due to space paranoia.

I don't actually know why I chose the bio-trophy traits I did but they're really bad from a minmax perspective. Since your bio-trophies are for pumping unity, only Communal is any good (happiness affects their yield). You also need to move them around a lot and would probably like them to grow into empty tiles too so, bad calls there on Sedentary and Slow Breeders. Traditional is an obvious good pick here.

Sedentary is pretty much a freebie for your biotrophies, though, because you really don't need to move them around much. I usually phase out the robots on my home planet over time and let the biotrophies take over while my robots are working the highest slot planet I can find because they have infinite habitability. Slow breeders is vaguely an issue, but I haven't noticed a problem with it, really. Once you get higher tiers of terraforming you can pick another high slot planet and turn it into paradise for your beta males to run around awkwardly on, so hitting 40% is rarely an issue.

Sedentary on your biotrophies is much less of a deal than bulky on your robutts.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Deleter posted:

So I'm working on a thing. It's essentially Rogue Servitors but as xenophiles and you can be the Collector dude from Marvel. Put Howard the Duck in a glass case and have your people stare at him. I have other ideas around this civic but I want it to essentially be a way to do something cool with being a Xenophile. Still some kinks to work out as I've only got a core concept and an icon in the game that does nothing.

I made you an icon:

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Does anyone else feel combat speed is way too fast?
I don't think artillery ships or long range starbases are possible right now. The enemy fleet just has to tank one shot before they're in engagement range with their superior shorter range weapons.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Reveilled posted:

I made you an icon:

That's incredible. :allears: Mind if I use it? I was thinking of a cage or something but stamps is way more appropriate.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Reveilled posted:

I made you an icon:

:golfclap:

VVVV :vince:

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 4, 2018

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Hahaha, if you use the Planet Cracker on Earth (even if it generated as a tomb world), there's a chance of a "Hyperspace Bypass" wormhole spawning with one opening in Sol :allears:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Oh poo poo, yeah, I see it now. I have no way of taking additional systems. Lame.

You can make new claims during a war, but they cost x2 or x3 influence depending on whether you are the defender our attacker. Expensive, but sometimes worth it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Cheers, this helped a lot.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Dongattack posted:

Ah okay, mine is running late and i'm excited to see what it is.

Remember that crises can only spawn once it's been 50 years since the start of the endgame (so 2450 with default slider). FEs can start waking up the moment the endgame starts (and I think the spiritualists can now wake up before that if someone destroys a holy world).

Autism Sneaks posted:

Hahaha, if you use the Planet Cracker on Earth (even if it generated as a tomb world), there's a chance of a "Hyperspace Bypass" wormhole spawning with one opening in Sol :allears:

That is incredible :allears:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Guilliman posted:

I don't think artillery ships or long range starbases are possible right now. The enemy fleet just has to tank one shot before they're in engagement range with their superior shorter range weapons.
Pop a communications inhibitor on your starbase and it will take the enemy longer to reach you.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do I build dyson spheres and sentry arrays? an icon doesn't show up on the star.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gyshall posted:

Sanity check: In 2.0, a multi planet system still counts as a single colonized system, even if you settle all three planets, correct?

Got the In Limbo robots to settle on one of my planets in a system with 2 other planets, and I want to also settle another robot on the other side of the galaxy. Playing Ironman so I can't save and verify before hand.
I discovered I could cheese myself extra In Limbo bots through colonising. Sweet, sweet science.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baron Porkface posted:

How do I build dyson spheres and sentry arrays? an icon doesn't show up on the star.
Demolish the mining/research station you have around the star.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fellblade posted:

This sounds totally great, basically you get to be the fallen empire that collects pops.

I want this so bad right now.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Baron Porkface posted:

Are you already building or restoring a galactic wonder elsewhere?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
In my current game as psychic space plants, I got a shroud event where the entity just said "LEAVE." Naturally I didn't, and my dice roll failed so it sent a corrupt avatar into one of my back systems. A problem because my fleet and freebie avatar were on the other side of the galaxy, having just killed the Stellarite Devourer. Then I realized it didn't just spawn in a backsystem, it spawned in the system with the Artisan Troupe station. And my starbase was a defenseless art installation / anchorage. Oh poo poo.

The avatar steamrolls my station and then heads for the artisan enclave. Turns out the artisan station is packing an X-class arc emitter with 100% shield and armor penetration. They completely loving annihilated it.

poo poo, they probably enjoyed the fireworks.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Deleter posted:

That's incredible. :allears: Mind if I use it? I was thinking of a cage or something but stamps is way more appropriate.

Absolutely! Just make sure you finish the mod so I can play it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

The Deleter posted:

So I'm working on a thing. It's essentially Rogue Servitors but as xenophiles and you can be the Collector dude from Marvel. Put Howard the Duck in a glass case and have your people stare at him. I have other ideas around this civic but I want it to essentially be a way to do something cool with being a Xenophile. Still some kinks to work out as I've only got a core concept and an icon in the game that does nothing.

xenophile/authoritarian, maybe?

it should definitely conflict with egalitarian

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Question: What happens to an empire's systems if you take all of their planets?

Why yes, yes you are welcome. Please settle in and take as much time as you need to acclimate.

From the Sol System, right? these guys were the all stars of the very first game of Stellaris I ever played.

I was messing about with an ultra friendly super sciencey race and I found the Sol tomb world on the other side of the galaxy and those guys were on it, so I built an outpost and uplifted them. And then some fanatic purifiers blindsided me and conquered basically every one of my original planets, leaving me with a tomb world full of uplifted bugs.

As emergent stories go, it was pretty awesome. A bunch of only just raised to sentience bugs left alone after their uplifters just vanish one day. They had the prole trait, so they were awful at science, but awesome at building, so they build a fleet and go flying back towards where their buddies are. There's a slaver empire in the way though, so they have to smash through them by flying fleet after fleet after fleet of crappy ships, till the slavers are just overwhelmed. Maybe the slavers are the reason the uplifters vanished? the slavers get purged, just in case. So does a despotic empire and a one planet sized purifier civilisation who picked the worst time to make the trip to the stars.

Finally the Roachoids make it back to the uplifters home system, obliterating the original fanatic purifiers fleet in a battle where the purifiers are outnumbered five to one and the planet is liberated! The Roachoids finally get to meet their uplifters face to face, all two of the pops that hadn't been purged yet. The Roachoids mass migrate to their new homeworld to guard their uplifters.

Of course, by this point the threat they've built up means that all the neighbouring races are starting to build up, so it was time or the Roachoids to rally their own fleets again...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I wish this game had weapons that were terrible at space combat, but really amazing at orbital bombardment.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Guilliman posted:

Yes it's way too fast. If you watch combat at normal game speed everything is zipping around like crazy. Ships turn, accelerate and move far too fast in combat (and weirdly, seem to have proper acceleration curves and turning speeds outside of combat).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Anyone have any tips for maximizing the fleet power of your Citadels? I'm looking at the last achievement I could pull off in this current game - Citadel over 40K fleet power. I'm stuck at around 36K with endgame technology levels, though, so I'm really not sure how this is going to work unless I spend a truly inordinate amount of time researching repeatable technologies.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

Yes it's way too fast. If you watch combat at normal game speed everything is zipping around like crazy. Ships turn, accelerate and move far too fast in combat (and weirdly, seem to have proper acceleration curves and turning speeds outside of combat).

I was wondering if they sped up combat in 2.0 or if I was imagining it. Turning the speed down to slowest looks more like how it should be.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Space Skeleton posted:

I was wondering if they sped up combat in 2.0 or if I was imagining it. Turning the speed down to slowest looks more like how it should be.

Likewise.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Did they fix the thing from pre 2.0 where if you get Star Charts in a trade, the anomalies and researchies were unavailable?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The ships flying around is cool but also makes it hard to see what my fleet strength is

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Xenaero posted:

Did they fix the thing from pre 2.0 where if you get Star Charts in a trade, the anomalies and researchies were unavailable?

Star charts are gone entirely, instead you trade for communications with other empires

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

GorfZaplen posted:

Star charts are gone entirely, instead you trade for communications with other empires

Oh my goodness. I haven't yet found another empire for my Radishes to even talk to yet since I'm still super early game but the anomalies brought that to mind. Kinda missed getting intel from all over the galaxy if I threw in some sweeteners.

I may have miscalculated by trying out Lifeseeded on top of all these other changes 2.0 brought in. We'll see how it works out. I kinda love the outposts and PARALLEL BUILDING SHIPYARDS (gone are the days of 8 hotkeys for starbases). So far I'm very cool with hyperlanes being forced, I can (so far) easily plot choke points and setups if I get stormed.

Noticed that Strongholds provide defensive armies, so I assume you can't recruit and stack a million defensive armies anymore?

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Despite having some ISSUES I went ahead and updated Awful Apocalypse: Friends Like These with a bonkers FIFTEEN new empires. Lords and Ladies currently will not load for reasons I cannot figure out so really its only 14 species but it's not like I'm charging you money here, c'mon.

As usual, if you have a custom species and want it thrown into a giant pack with no attribution, give me a screenshot and a pastebin of the info from your user_empire_designs.txt. If you're stuck on which Ethics to choose, consider a combo that hasn't been taken yet: Goon Species Ethics

The mod is fixed thanks to my idiocy and Reveilled's help. There was a duplicate listing within the text file that I didn't notice.

If you're still taking submissions, here's one:

code:
"Lumocom Interstellar Telecommunications"
={
	key="Lumocom Interstellar Telecommunications"
	ship_prefix="ITCV"
	species={
		class="REP"
		portrait="rep16"
		name="Zimmi"
		plural="Zimmis"
		adjective="Zimmi"
		species_bio="Zimmi are a sociable, freethinking people who evolved on the warm grasslands of Ctek. The many nations of Ctek were united fairly recently, not by war, diplomacy or shared culture but by being collectively bought out by the Lumocom corporation in the culmination of a centuries long scheme. Lumocom now owns the first Zimmi starbase and therefore leads the Zimmis in the race for the stars. Zimmis are now freer than ever to do what they want... provided they can pay for it."
		name_list="REP4"
		trait="trait_adaptive"
		trait="trait_charismatic"
		trait="trait_quick_learners"
		trait="trait_deviants"
		trait="trait_wasteful"
	}
	name="Lumocom Interstellar Telecommunications"
	adjective="Corporate"
	authority="auth_oligarchic"
	government="gov_megacorporation"
	advisor_voice_type="l_xenophile"
	planet_name="Ctek"
	planet_class="pc_savannah"
	system_name="Tiqtactok"
	initializer=""
	graphical_culture="humanoid_01"
	city_graphical_culture="arthropoid_01"
	empire_flag={
		icon={
			category="spherical"
			file="flag_spherical_4.dds"
		}
		background={
			category="backgrounds"
			file="circle.dds"
		}
		colors={
			"yellow"
			"black"
			"null"
			"null"
		}
	}
	ruler={
		gender=male
		name="Tik-tik Nip"
		portrait="rep16_m"
		texture=2
		hair=0
		clothes=0
	}
	spawn_as_fallen=no
	ignore_portrait_duplication=no
	room="personality_federation_builders_room"
	spawn_enabled=yes
	ethic="ethic_authoritarian"
	ethic="ethic_xenophile"
	ethic="ethic_militarist"
	civics={
		"civic_corporate_dominion"
		"civic_slaver_guilds"
	}
}

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ulmont posted:

Anyone have any tips for maximizing the fleet power of your Citadels? I'm looking at the last achievement I could pull off in this current game - Citadel over 40K fleet power. I'm stuck at around 36K with endgame technology levels, though, so I'm really not sure how this is going to work unless I spend a truly inordinate amount of time researching repeatable technologies.

What kind of gear is it running? I think guided weapons give the most fleet power per slot, and that 8 defense platforms contribute more than one ion cannon.

Outside of that, there's an ascendancy perk that lets you build more defense platforms, and if you're not a pacifist, adopting pacifism will change one of the Supremacy traditions to buff them.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Or just keep repeating techs that upgrade weapons/armor/defense platforms/etc

I am continuing progress towards figuring out how to purge my homeworld after moving to a ring so I can crack EVERY inhabitable planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Is there a hotkey to upgrade all on a defense platform? Better, add a hotkey to upgrade all on all starbases