Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
adding to the bread derail

https://twitter.com/munchies/status/970335591626936320

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/970400530068537344

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

I've read enough NYC centered white people journalism to have serious doubts whether it's a troll or not. The writer is even dumb in a very specific way,thinking that because people copied the bullshit interior design in most brooklyn joints it also means that they're copying the BBQ style

As someone on twitter put it in a better way, this article is basically NYC reporters

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/819968028909637632

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, I live quite near the center of Houston, and the bakeries I know of are just sweet shops. If there are any regular bread bakeries, I'd probably have to drive past at least a Fiesta, Target, and Kroger to get to them.

Also, I'd like to amend my previous statement, it's not just gay manga set in bakeries. There's so many comics about a person of either gender leaving their old life behind to go work in a bakery and then falling in love with and loving the head baker. I wouldn't have thought that was a stock romance plot, but I see the appeal.
I worked in a bakery for 7 or 8 years. I don't see the appeal.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Spend 15 minutes, using 25 cents of raw materials, and make the dough the night before. Let rise all night. Next morning, spend 15 minutes folding the dough 3 times. Place in dutch oven. Cover with lid, and bake in oven for 30 minutes at 450F. Remove lid. Bake additional 15 minutes for thick crust. Done. Looks like this:

God you guys...

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

:pusheen:

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

bloom posted:

You've got to appreciate the classics

It's from/by someone in the cspam trump thread but that moves too fast to find the original

That was me! :smug:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I'd eat that
/
:randstare:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Your loss.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
This is why immigration is a good thing. I'm originally from the San Joaquin Valley in California and I know of at least 5 bakeries within driving distance of my childhood home, none of which are bougie, all of which are Mexican. They're good, cheap, and there's one about a block and a half from my parents house that bought the neighboring shops in the strip mall so they could branch out and now in addition to the bakery they've also got a butcher shop and a taqueria.

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

I walk into a bakery, ask for a loaf of whole wheat, sliced. They say they only have cookies, cakes, cupcakes, etc.

And that's when I have to get violent

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
100 + post derail on bread?

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

God you guys...

Or learn to make beer bread, it's like this but with a bowl of flour

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That's the worst BBQ I've ever seen.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

pull up thread ... pull up :smith:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The General posted:

I worked in a bakery for 7 or 8 years. I don't see the appeal.

Was it one of those bakeries where all the employees are hot guys? That seems to be an important part of the bakery romance story

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

null_pointer posted:

pull up thread ... pull up :smith:

Usually it's pretty obvious what they were going for, in this case I have no idea.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I think the goal was 'Let's have our sign be able to be vandalized by bored 13 year olds'.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

om nom nom posted:

Usually it's pretty obvious what they were going for, in this case I have no idea.

I think they wanted ten bucks.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Sexy, sexy wonderbread.

I love how these all use three slices, to encourage you to use as much bread as possible. It's almost as bad as a toothpaste commercial.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Seedge posted:

I think they wanted ten bucks.

No way, that price is just to lure in the customers. They know that nobody will be satisfied with just 2 anal dong pokes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Is bread even a thing in America? Wonderbread is basically the world's shittiest sponge cake, and I don't even want to know what goes into discount bread.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Spend 15 minutes, using 25 cents of raw materials, and make the dough the night before. Let rise all night. Next morning, spend 15 minutes folding the dough 3 times. Place in dutch oven. Cover with lid, and bake in oven for 30 minutes at 450F. Remove lid. Bake additional 15 minutes for thick crust. Done. Looks like this:

Why would you put your dough under your bedcovers and fart on it?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Why would you put your dough under your bedcovers and fart on it?

That’s how bread rises, smart guy

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

My dumb cousin once vandalized a sign that said "Bolton Tennis Open" to "One Bolton Penis", then stood next to it, waving. It was funny when I was 12.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

nerdz posted:

I've read enough NYC centered white people journalism to have serious doubts whether it's a troll or not. The writer is even dumb in a very specific way,thinking that because people copied the bullshit interior design in most brooklyn joints it also means that they're copying the BBQ style
The article is fine, they just used a dumb clickbait photo for the tweet.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Is bread even a thing in America? Wonderbread is basically the world's shittiest sponge cake, and I don't even want to know what goes into discount bread.

People bake bread and use/consume bread as well as bread like products if that’s what you’re asking. I hope this has answered your question

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's not. A "sandwich" in the U.S. is two tortillas with a pita in between. America is 100 percent about unleavened bread. I'm eating imitation crab salad on matzo right now. However, almost nobody bakes their own bread, and there are only a handful of bakeries in Maine and California. Most Americans have a pathological fear of baking, because the ovens remind us of the darkest moment in our history: Boston's great molasses flood.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Bread is not necessarily important when making a sandwich.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not. A "sandwich" in the U.S. is two tortillas with a pita in between. America is 100 percent about unleavened bread. I'm eating imitation crab salad on matzo right now. However, almost nobody bakes their own bread, and there are only a handful of bakeries in Maine and California. Most Americans have a pathological fear of baking, because the ovens remind us of the darkest moment in our history: Boston's great molasses flood.

It's kinda hosed up that like 20 people died and hundreds lost their homes because of a big corporation's carelessness, but because the way it happened was so strange it's only brought up nowadays as a joke.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrbZK8th5RU&t=10s

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyT4eC_BWak

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's kinda hosed up that like 20 people died and hundreds lost their homes because of a big corporation's carelessness, but because the way it happened was so strange it's only brought up nowadays as a joke.

I remind you about the London beer flood. poo poo happens in pursuit of greatness. Price you pay.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Tony Snark posted:

Or learn to make beer bread

Beer is technically alcoholic liquid bread. If we can reverse-engineer it - we can make alcoholic normal bread

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Android Apocalypse posted:

Bread is not necessarily important when making a sandwich.

It is pronounced, "hotdog sandwich."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

For quite some time beer was the only alcohol that could legally be sold outside special liquor stores in Russia because it was classified not as an alcoholic beverage but as food.

They changed it in 2011 because people were drinking too much beer

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FreudianSlippers posted:

For quite some time beer was the only alcohol that could legally be sold outside special liquor stores in Russia because it was classified not as an alcoholic beverage but as food.

They changed it in 2011 because people were drinking too much beer

[citation needed]

No really, I want to be able to share this info with people who won't believe my word

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
"Twice the loaf for half the dough"
"Lots of bread for not much bread"

Yeah, I'm a few pages behind but I'm going to guess we're all still talking about cheap bread stores?

E: oh holy gently caress, I posted this before I knew you dumb bastards were gonna argue about it for two pages, forget it, forget I said anything, jesus.

BallerBallerDillz has a new favorite as of 06:39 on Mar 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

96 Port Hub posted:

"Twice the loaf for half the dough"
"Lots of bread for not much bread"

Yeah, I'm a few pages behind but I'm going to guess we're all still talking about cheap bread stores?

Yeah, but it's funny because he's the breadsident. :v: