Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Is there any way to have fun online without spending 1000 hrs getting good at fighting games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Carmant posted:

Is there any way to have fun online without spending 1000 hrs getting good at fighting games

If winning = fun you already lost

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Carmant posted:

yes

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

If winning = fun you already lost

Having fun means feeling like I’m in control instead of getting 50 hit combod to death by ppl who are way better than me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Carmant posted:

Having fun means feeling like I’m in control instead of getting 50 hit combod to death by ppl who are way better than me

Thats when you look at the replay to see how you hosed up and how they did good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If you want to play the game without ever improving at all then play with your irl casual friends

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Carmant posted:

The fun part is learning how to stay in control. The fun part after that is being condescending to scrubs online you scrub rear end bitch

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Carmant posted:

Hit L a bunch with occasionally hitting down L, forward M, or dragon rush to get through people's blocking. Press down heavy to punish dude's super dash. Get good at blocking.

Also play against your friends and not randoms via matchmaking.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

What is the fighting game discord so I can get clowned by goons over and over until I get good? I can't find anything explicity for fighters on the discord goons site.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

What is the fighting game discord so I can get clowned by goons over and over until I get good? I can't find anything explicity for fighters on the discord goons site.

Goonsgarden

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Carmant posted:

Play to learn, not to win.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

It's in the OP of the fighting game thread, along with a bunch of other useful links: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772278

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Thanks, I missed the general thread because I'm a scrub who doesn't look past the first page.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I've probably gotten too far in this game with Black on my team without ever using the Zamasu super. I always 100% forget it exists until it's used against me. And then I proceed to forget again before I have the opportunity to practice it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I've probably gotten too far in this game with Black on my team without ever using the Zamasu super. I always 100% forget it exists until it's used against me. And then I proceed to forget again before I have the opportunity to practice it.

Its important if you want to dhc to 16 or who ever and need to send opponent down quick

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Real hurthling! posted:

Its important if you want to dhc to 16 or who ever and need to send opponent down quick

I have Trunks also so yeah. The only other way for me to dhc into Trunks' level three is fancy Spirit Ball shenanigans with Yamcha and who has time to learn that?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Carmant posted:

you have direct control over how good you are

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Zand posted:

you have direct control over how good you are

Improving in things usually involves practicing against ppl of your skill level and it seems like the matchmaking just throws you to the wolves though. I guess the cross section of people who have minimal fighting game experience and people who currently play fighterZ is probably close to 0

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
fg matchmaking for your skill level is probably much easier outside of the in-game tools where the only people left are people trying to increase rank since the weaklings have already filtered themselves out. try a discord or something

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Carmant posted:

Improving in things usually involves practicing against ppl of your skill level and it seems like the matchmaking just throws you to the wolves though. I guess the cross section of people who have minimal fighting game experience and people who currently play fighterZ is probably close to 0

The reality is that most of the people you're fighting might feel like they're a lot better than you, but I bet the gap between you and your opponent is way smaller than it seems. Pushing buttons is really strong in this game, especially when you're still learning to defend yourself.

The unfortunate thing is the only way to learn defense is to take a whole lot of losses while you focus on it. But if you integrate some vanishes and assist calls I bet you'll end up winning a fair amount of games against other people with equally bad defense.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Carmant posted:

An important part of improving is playing people who are better than you are, who know how to identify and punish your mistakes. Then when you stop making those mistakes, which are consistently being punished, you yourself become a bit better as well.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I started diving deep into Ranked a week and a half or so ago and there were still some new players for me to play against, I think there's plenty of Saibamen and Earthlings left in the pool if you play at peak hours. You can cut your teeth on Casual too, I feel like there were still people around my level there.

I was pretty bad at fighting games when I started this game (my only other fighting game I've played is SFV and I never got out of Bronze) and I just ranked up to Super Saiyan today!! You can do it!!!!

Here are my Beginner Tips, as someone who's just now diving into the deep intricacies and jargon that you see everyone else use. All of this stuff was brand new to me, even if long-time genre fans knew them already:

• Learn how the combo system works and what your resources are. Per combo, you get one launcher, one wall bounce, one air action (double jump or air dash), and one hard knockdown. Learn what moves your character has that cause any of those things. Mix in a vanish every once in a while if you don't mind spending meter.

• Learn the right way to approach. Sure, you can Super Dash in but this will get punished pretty quickly when the other person catches on. Practice air dashing to the point where you can air dash immediately after leaving the ground, learn your characters' overhead attacks (6M is one for everyone, but some characters have more), and figure out which of your normals has the right balance of range and speed to close distance.

• You can jump cancel your medium attacks. Since you only get one launcher and one super dash per combo, why waste it them near the ground when you can get your opponent airborne and use it then? You can squeeze in some extra hits at the beginning of the combo that way. Try 2M->5M->jump->j5L->j5M-> double jump-> j2H -> super dash -> some sort of finisher. The combo system in this game is pretty flexible and there are a lot of ways to start and extend combos. Once you get that general structure down then you can start peppering in more moves in the middle.

• Learn how to pressure instead of getting in and having your whole combo be blocked and then getting your 2H punished. If the other person is blocking, extend it for as long as you can without doing any dangerous high-risk moves and find a way to disengage from your combo before finishing it. For most characters you can use assists to cover yourself while you back off, but some characters have their own ways. Once you're able to play defensively you can mix up your offense and be less predictable a lot easier.

• Most important rule: You're gonna get flustered while you play, especially if you're on a losing streak. Easier said than done but don't let it get to you. I'm not really the Mad At Video Games type but for whatever reason this game gets me yelling, sometimes at my TV and sometimes at myself. Identifying your mistakes and continuing to try even when you're way way behind is how you get better for the next time.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 4, 2018

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Also set the game to autosave your replays and rewatch losses and times where you get stomped by someone playing one of your characters. It's really useful for learning new combos and techniques from other players as well as what your own weaknesses are.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Carmant posted:

I agree with the other poster that said that the people in ranked you are fighting right now are probably not as experienced as you imagine. There is a steep learning curve up front since you will encounter a bunch of poo poo you don't understand yet, all at once. As you start to recognize everything it will become cooler and cooler, but it's an investment.

This learning process probably goes x1000 times faster if you had someone sitting next to you explaining things, though.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Spuckuk posted:

https://rockthedrag.in/#/?p1chars=no21

This should help, and is a fantastic resource for finding character matches in general. Necroundine and TheJRivera are the two players that stand out the most to me (I'm playing 21 as well)

Late but thanks!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Oh yeah, if you are PC and west coast or near enough and want to learn with me holler at me in the goonsgarden discord. I am bad but getting better

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Most important rule: You're gonna get flustered while you play, especially if you're on a losing streak. Easier said than done but don't let it get to you. I'm not really the Mad At Video Games type but for whatever reason this game gets me yelling, sometimes at my TV and sometimes at myself. Identifying your mistakes and continuing to try even when you're way way behind is how you get better for the next time.

Related to this, if you feel like it IS getting to you, it's time to take a break. Trying to play when you're getting mad isn't going to help anything.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I started diving deep into Ranked a week and a half or so ago and there were still some new players for me to play against, I think there's plenty of Saibamen and Earthlings left in the pool if you play at peak hours. You can cut your teeth on Casual too, I feel like there were still people around my level there.

I was pretty bad at fighting games when I started this game (my only other fighting game I've played is SFV and I never got out of Bronze) and I just ranked up to Super Saiyan today!! You can do it!!!!

Here are my Beginner Tips, as someone who's just now diving into the deep intricacies and jargon that you see everyone else use. All of this stuff was brand new to me, even if long-time genre fans knew them already:

• Learn how the combo system works and what your resources are. Per combo, you get one launcher, one wall bounce, one air action (double jump or air dash), and one hard knockdown. Learn what moves your character has that cause any of those things. Mix in a vanish every once in a while if you don't mind spending meter.

• Learn the right way to approach. Sure, you can Super Dash in but this will get punished pretty quickly when the other person catches on. Practice air dashing to the point where you can air dash immediately after leaving the ground, learn your characters' overhead attacks (6M is one for everyone, but some characters have more), and figure out which of your normals has the right balance of range and speed to close distance.

• You can jump cancel your medium attacks. Since you only get one launcher and one super dash per combo, why waste it them near the ground when you can get your opponent airborne and use it then? You can squeeze in some extra hits at the beginning of the combo that way. Try 2M->5M->jump->j5L->j5M-> double jump-> j2H -> super dash -> some sort of finisher. The combo system in this game is pretty flexible and there are a lot of ways to start and extend combos. Once you get that general structure down then you can start peppering in more moves in the middle.

• Learn how to pressure instead of getting in and having your whole combo be blocked and then getting your 2H punished. If the other person is blocking, extend it for as long as you can without doing any dangerous high-risk moves and find a way to disengage from your combo before finishing it. For most characters you can use assists to cover yourself while you back off, but some characters have their own ways. Once you're able to play defensively you can mix up your offense and be less predictable a lot easier.

• Most important rule: You're gonna get flustered while you play, especially if you're on a losing streak. Easier said than done but don't let it get to you. I'm not really the Mad At Video Games type but for whatever reason this game gets me yelling, sometimes at my TV and sometimes at myself. Identifying your mistakes and continuing to try even when you're way way behind is how you get better for the next time.

this is a really good post and the OP should probably start to collect those at some point HENAKI

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i wanna learn majin buu more

eat all the cookies

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Yinlock posted:

all anyone remembers is his triangle laser but yeah tien has lot of Weird poo poo he can do

dunno why the 4 arms thing never came up again, it doesn't have an obvious weakness like the multiform

He busts it out in Super in order to fight a mind-controlled Roshi

Roshi zaps him with lightning, ending the fight in roughly three seconds

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

He busts it out in Super in order to fight a mind-controlled Roshi

Roshi zaps him with lightning, ending the fight in roughly three seconds

Yeah they go to great lengths to show just how useless Tien is in that episode.

And yet he still goes to the tournament.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Count Bleck posted:

Doesn't Dodon Ray knock your opponent up instead of hold them in place like the other beam assists do?

No other beam assist holds them in place, they all knock them all the way across the screen. Tien is the only beam assist that will keep the enemy right beside you after popping up. Goku beam assists for the most part you can homing dash after, but thats more hits being used up and ruining your combo. Tien keeps them right there infront of you, in which you can jump and recombo on the spot.

For the most part think of it like this, after most given combos, you get goku beam assist, homing after it, do like LMH LM special or whatever you are done. Tien for the same damage lets you get jump LLdown+H, double jump, then finish up, for more overall damage since he only used up one of your hits. This isn't every character every scenario mind you but just to give an idea.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah they go to great lengths to show just how useless Tien is in that episode.

And yet he still goes to the tournament.

The show does wrong by Tien.

And I have come to the realization its because they fear him, and what he represents.

That's how I rationalize it anyways.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I'm still doing okay in ranked. I've hit Android. Most people fold to either my 18 getting a hit in and removing a character or my Black just having better buttons than them. Where I do lose is usually because a) I flub my 18 combos and setups b) they're just much much better at neutral than me.

I need to learn what my options actually are after super dashing someone. I've basically avoided using the move entirely in a bid to avoid bad habits, but now I think I need to actually incorporate it into my game a bunch more. The thing is, after I get a hit with one, I'm not really sure of what to do. I find that often enough my L,M,j.L,M,H combo will just flub and I've got no real idea why. Probably need to lab that a bunch.

I'm struggling most with pressure at the moment. Specifically once something does get blocked my brain autopilots L, L, 2M, M, 6M. This is a problem because it's really predictable and I'm at a point now where I really need to start varying things. The first part is to learn to cover with assists, which isn't too bad, but on 18 disadvantages her because it makes her setup play weaker. The second is actually figuring out different combo chains and how to confirm off of them. I'm most unsure on how to start dealing with this. I have some theory like running L,L,2M,M,214M and having 17 cover my recovery, but I don't know how I'd even begin to get damage off it and it obviously isn't character universal.

Still, better than I was yesterday I think.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
By far the #1 thing holding me back right now is accidentally quick-changing when I mean to just assist and it is actually infuriating.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

By far the #1 thing holding me back right now is accidentally quick-changing when I mean to just assist and it is actually infuriating.

If you're dashing, hold 3 (down forward) and you won't change when calling the assist

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Chaotic Flame posted:

If you're dashing, hold 3 (down forward) and you won't change when calling the assist

aces!

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Weird I have the exact opposite problem.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm hoping some DLC character feels this void in my team. I like Trunks and Vegeta, and can't find a third that I enjoy. I've been trying Goku, Cell, Nappa, Gohan. How is Teen Gohan? Cell's corner loops look pretty hard to do.
And drat there is a lot of people who drop on PC.. just had 4 in a row

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

dr.acula posted:

Weird I have the exact opposite problem.

I have both the problems!

Assist/switch inputs in this game are rear end.

e; game still owns.