Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Saw Women in Love at the national gallery. It was alright, the direction was good as was the cinematography but idk if id see it again also watching two naked guys wrestle for 5 minutes in a theater filled with old people was a unique experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Good to finally have some more gay movies in the collection.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
ACADEMY AWARD WINNER GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Unmature posted:

ACADEMY AWARD WINNER GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Makes up for Pan's Labyrinth losing out to goddamn Crash.

How does The Devil's Backbone compare to Cronos and Pan's Labyrinth? I've been meaning to pick up the Trilogia set, but haven't yet.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

How does The Devil's Backbone compare to Cronos and Pan's Labyrinth? I've been meaning to pick up the Trilogia set, but haven't yet.

Every single thing about that year was a total clusterfuck

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Devil's Backbone is absolutely fantastic. I think you could make an argument for each of the three films in the Trilogia set being the best. Cronos is goofy-creepy GDT, Backbone is scary-creepy GDT, and Pan's is fairy tale-creepy GDT.

And then all of those combine into the actual best film Hellboy 2.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve seen all of GDT’s films except Mimic and Blade II and Backbone is near the top of the list for sure. I still like Cronos best out of that set but they’re all great for different reasons.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Pan's Labyrinth 2006? So it lost to... uh... gently caress what won that year EDIT: Oh right The Departed. Not great but okay.

(Specifically it lost Best Foreign Film to The Lives of Others but I've heard that film's really good so *shrug*)

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 5, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

drat, The Lives of Others vs. Pan's Labyrinth is a tough call. Both are easily better than The Departed though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wasn't Pan's Labyrinth 2006? So it lost to... uh... gently caress what won that year EDIT: Oh right The Departed. Not great but okay.

(Specifically it lost Best Foreign Film to The Lives of Others but I've heard that film's really good so *shrug*)

That’s at least better. For some reason I thought Crash was 2006.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Cronos is my least favorite of the set. It's good, but it's like a really great episode from a TV show like The Twilight Zone. Ron Perlman was great in it, and there decision to have him speak English worked amazingly. It's rough around the edges, but not in a bad way. He just hadn't developed yet.

The Devil's Backbone was really good. I've yet to rewatch out, but I remember it being very strong and all of the story is laid out very intelligently.

I absolutely adore Pan's Labyrinth. It honestly is one of my favorite films, and I think it's beautiful. I like how the two parts of the story don't obviously fit together, but they totally do. For example, when the doctor says "some men can just follow order" comments on Ofelia's choice towards the climax of the film.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Unmature posted:

And then all of those combine into the actual best film Hellboy 2.

No one talks about Hellboy 2 anymore and it's so loving good. It's a shame we'll never get a third in that series, even though I think David Harbour will be cool as Hellboy.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

RichterIX posted:

No one talks about Hellboy 2 anymore and it's so loving good. It's a shame we'll never get a third in that series, even though I think David Harbour will be cool as Hellboy.

Hellboy 2 is a top 5 superhero movie. Maybe Top 1. It's auteur as gently caress and so good.

I'm mildly excited for the new one, but I'll always be thinking about what could have been.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hellboy is underrated as well, obviously Del Toro was holding back a bit compared to Hellboy 2, but it's still a big budget movie about Nazis, led by Rasputin, opening a space portal to release Cthulhu. It's pretty unique.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

Hellboy is underrated as well, obviously Del Toro was holding back a bit compared to Hellboy 2, but it's still a big budget movie about Nazis, led by Rasputin, opening a space portal to release Cthulhu. It's pretty unique.

I think I actually prefer it to the sequel, if only because it's so very Wolfenstein.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kroenen was also a cool sub-villain that was much better in the movie than as the almost nameless mook in the comic. Golden Army was also really great and I hope del Toro does some sort of adventure type movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like Hellboy 2, but it feels overstuffed and underbaked. It has some great moments, but I still prefer the first movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When I saw Hellboy 2 on opening night and I thought "Wow, it would be amazing if GDT got to make a Star Wars movie someday." Not so much anymore under Disney's reign.

The movie also opened with Brenden Frasier brushing his teeth because they accidentally put in the reel for Journey to the Center of the Earth. The audience groaned but I'd find him to be a welcome sight in 2018.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I still wish we could have gotten a single, Guillermo Del Toro-directed The Hobbit movie.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Blast Fantasto posted:

I still wish we could have gotten a single, Guillermo Del Toro-directed The Hobbit movie.

I would be ok with an immediate reboot for that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

June releases:

Female Trouble
El Sur
Manila in the Claws of Light
Bowling for Columbine
The Virgin Spring

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Egbert Souse posted:

Female Trouble

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Egbert Souse posted:

Female Trouble

Yesssss. Was just looking for a HD copy of this a few weeks ago.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Strange that El Sur gets a release while Spirit of the Beehive still hasn't been upgraded.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
gonna see Tarkovskys The Sacrifice on the big screen today, i remember not caring for it but hopefully the 2nd times the charm

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has Being There for :20bux:

Also, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Night of the Living Dead, and Brazil are all 50% off or lower.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Bought. Usually I'm reluctant on purchasing blus of Criterions I already own on dvd, but for Joan of Arc I'll make an exception. I'm still on the fence about Brazil though.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Female Trouble

warez posted:

Yesssss. Was just looking for a HD copy of this a few weeks ago.

Having never watched a John Waters film before, would this be a good place to start?

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

friendo55 posted:

Having never watched a John Waters film before, would this be a good place to start?

Definitely.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I showed it to my friends at a Christmas party last year. It went over very well. It’s the perfect Christmas movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Macrame_God posted:

Bought. Usually I'm reluctant on purchasing blus of Criterions I already own on dvd, but for Joan of Arc I'll make an exception. I'm still on the fence about Brazil though.

I'd buy a UHD if it were available - Joan of Arc is that great of a film to me. Though, regular Blu is about as good as will be needed for the film. There's not 4K worth of information in a 1928 35mm print.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I want to be able to accurately measure the circumference of each grain.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finally got around to watching Master of the House via the Criterion Blu. Wonderful film. I never thought I'd laugh during a Carl Dreyer film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm kinda discovering Robert Altman for the first time because I love westerns and so I blind bought McCabe & Mrs. Miller. Well I've watched it three times now and it just gets better and better every time. So then I watched Gosford Park and that was amazing as well.

What would be a good place to go next? I'm thinking maybe The Player or to go outside the Criterion collection maybe The Long Goodbye. Do Short Cuts and Nashville live up to the hype?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I'm kinda discovering Robert Altman for the first time because I love westerns and so I blind bought McCabe & Mrs. Miller. Well I've watched it three times now and it just gets better and better every time. So then I watched Gosford Park and that was amazing as well.

What would be a good place to go next? I'm thinking maybe The Player or to go outside the Criterion collection maybe The Long Goodbye. Do Short Cuts and Nashville live up to the hype?

The Long Goodbye is my favorite Altman and Kino's Blu-ray is really good

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I have been listening to the Devil's Backbone commentary, and Del Toro really does some of the best commentaries. He's full of knowledge about film and history and really likes to describe his metaphors with his characters and scenes.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Basebf555 posted:

Nashville! Nashville! Nashville!

I'd suggest going with 3 Women after.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Basebf555 posted:

I'd rank those four:

1) Nashville - One of the greatest unconventional musicals of all time, but there's like so much more beyond that.
2) Short Cuts - Something of a spiritual successor to Nashville, this time set in Los Angeles.
3) The Long Goodbye - Sunbaked neo-noir with Elliot Gould playing the most lackadaisical Marlowe possible.
4) The Player - It's fun, but a bit shallow for my taste.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Basebf555 posted:

Im a big fan of MASH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Basebf555 posted:

If you have Filmstruck you should watch Secret Honor. It's a low-budget one-man-show about Richard Nixon and it's fascinating to watch.