Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I always thought the ladies going after him was kinda funny, given that Harry's so down on himself. He's tall, but described as being kinda gangly, hawk-faced, etc. I wish the female side of the supporting cast was a little better, and that's probably why I enjoy Verus a little more. I love Caldera.
. . .
F/SF/UF tends to be toxic as hell to the point of me putting any given book under a microscope before I think about reading it. Most of Jim's flaws I'm willing to assign to him being an awkward white guy that grew up on a diet of fantasy, as opposed to him being an actively hateful piece of poo poo.

For what it's worth, I'm not saying that power fantasy is bad in itself, or that Dresden is high-lit. I'm just trying to say that a lot of them tend to be really simple, stupid, hateful, boring books that don't even deliver some interesting lines like Jim can.

I think UF now is kinda where, say, Detective Fiction was in the 1890's when Doyle first started writing Sherlock Holmes. There were a few precursors (Poe / Glen Cook), but Butcher came along and like Doyle was the first person to put together 90% of the formula for the genre. It being the 21st century instead of the 19th, things develop a little faster, and so some other authors like Aaronovitch and Jacka are already putting the remaining 10% together before Butcher has even had a chance to finish, but I feel he still deserves a fair bit of credit for at least taking UF out of the romance-novel-with-sexy-vampires ghetto.

Also this post was an advertisement for this month's Book of the Month:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848449

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Bhodi posted:

Remember the short story that was in a different point of view and dresden is described as mild mannered nerdy and gangly most of the time but in the blink of an eye turns into this incredibly intimidating person wielding immense terrifying power?

Yeah, I think that's the Murphy one. She thinks he's a nerdy, chill dude until he starts using his wizard voice and then he's terrifying.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There is nothing wrong with the psychological/literary device of 'power fantasy', hth, you can stop trying to out-proclaim each other how above enjoying it you are.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Blasphemeral posted:

Yeah, I think that's the Murphy one. She thinks he's a nerdy, chill dude until he starts using his wizard voice and then he's terrifying.

She literally describes him as being autistic until it's time to start throwing power around.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I like Seanan McGuire, but I just read a paragraph where she compares being fat to being Mexican-American.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Beachcomber posted:

I like Seanan McGuire, but I just read a paragraph where she compares being fat to being Mexican-American.

Wasn't she the one that flipped out a few years ago over a comedian being named as the guest speaker at some convention she was attending because, for no particular reason at all, she was scared he'd pick on her?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Megazver posted:

There is nothing wrong with the psychological/literary device of 'power fantasy', hth, you can stop trying to out-proclaim each other how above enjoying it you are.

Oh, no, I think it's great.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

Wasn't she the one that flipped out a few years ago over a comedian being named as the guest speaker at some convention she was attending because, for no particular reason at all, she was scared he'd pick on her?

Yep. That happened. Jonathan Ross, who's a big UK TV personality and a big genre fan, was supposed to present Hugo awards.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/01/when-jonathan-ross-was-presenting-the-hugo-awards-until-he-wasnt/

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Megazver posted:

Yep. That happened. Jonathan Ross, who's a big UK TV personality and a big genre fan, was supposed to present Hugo awards.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/01/when-jonathan-ross-was-presenting-the-hugo-awards-until-he-wasnt/

That makes me sad when I read that. The Hugos do a good job of seeming.. cliquey? Or just something that I don't have a lot of respect for anymore.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Megazver posted:

My dude, I have read the Doom novelization seven times, and read the series 3 times. I own all the books. I know no shame.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think UF now is kinda where, say, Detective Fiction was in the 1890's when Doyle first started writing Sherlock Holmes. There were a few precursors (Poe / Glen Cook), but Butcher came along and like Doyle was the first person to put together 90% of the formula for the genre. It being the 21st century instead of the 19th, things develop a little faster, and so some other authors like Aaronovitch and Jacka are already putting the remaining 10% together before Butcher has even had a chance to finish, but I feel he still deserves a fair bit of credit for at least taking UF out of the romance-novel-with-sexy-vampires ghetto.

Also this post was an advertisement for this month's Book of the Month:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848449

My biggest gripe with UF is that right now, all the big titles I can think of are always wizards. That, and there isn't enough "good" stuff to read. Once you check all the familiar big names off your list, you're usually left waiting a while for another release in a series you know instead of checking out someone new. Probably a good thing I can't keep reading one genre forever, but I enjoy it.

Thanks for the reminder about the BotM. I've never regretted checking into those recommendations, and I appreciate the effort you put into it.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My biggest gripe with UF is that right now, all the big titles I can think of are always wizards. That, and there isn't enough "good" stuff to read. Once you check all the familiar big names off your list, you're usually left waiting a while for another release in a series you know instead of checking out someone new. Probably a good thing I can't keep reading one genre forever, but I enjoy it.

Thanks for the reminder about the BotM. I've never regretted checking into those recommendations, and I appreciate the effort you put into it.

Wizards/Sorcerers/Mages are more flexible as a trope than Shifter/Undead are for the genre.

There have been attempts to do not-vampire vampires, they tend to end in sexytimes because there is a lot of market for sexytime vampire and authors have to eat.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Captain_Person posted:

I think Four Roads Cross Last First Snow is the best in the series - it's a prequel that tells a compelling story about how the characters got to the point they're at later in the series. Plus it has Kopil riding a zombie dragon he uses as a personal battleship :black101:

The new book, The Ruin of Angels, is also really good and the city of Agdel Lex is a kickin' rad setting.

Four roads cross really landed for me because it paid off so many characters story lines that had been on the back burner. And the deeper dive into the mechanics of the legal system.

Still can’t wait to see where the series visits next.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
I didn't see anyone post it here, yet, but the new Libriomancer-series novelette "Imprinted" is out. https://www.amazon.com/Imprinted-Magic-Libris-Jim-Hines/dp/1982090154/

I haven't gotten around to reading it (I'm mid-MoonOverSoho, at the moment,) but it's next on my list.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
The only thing I hate about the Craft Sequence books is that for some reason Tor hasn't made audiobooks out of anything past the second, so I'm currently stuck there. Up to that point though, I consider them up there with Rivers of London and The Rook as the best UF I've read.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
If you count the Craft series as UF, you should really check out the Broken Earth Trilogy because holy poo poo it blows pretty much all of the other books we talk about out of the loving water.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

biracial bear for uncut posted:

If you count the Craft series as UF, you should really check out the Broken Earth Trilogy because holy poo poo it blows pretty much all of the other books we talk about out of the loving water.

FINE! I will then!

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

I wouldn't say Broken Earth is UF by any means, but it is a loving incredible trilogy.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Dramatika posted:

I wouldn't say Broken Earth is UF by any means, but it is a loving incredible trilogy.

As someone who just read through it from the beginning this week: Ehhhhhhh

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Slanderer posted:

Ban this sick filth.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Broken Earth is fine but don't read it if you look for happy from your fiction because they are not happy books.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Slanderer posted:

It's just "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" as a trilogy

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I read Dresden 1-4 a few years ago. I thought they were pretty good, but I got a little burned out and tired of all the underworld politics, which I've almost completely forgotten. I'm thinking about picking up Death Masks; is there anything from the previous books I need to remember so I'm not lost?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lester Shy posted:

I read Dresden 1-4 a few years ago. I thought they were pretty good, but I got a little burned out and tired of all the underworld politics, which I've almost completely forgotten. I'm thinking about picking up Death Masks; is there anything from the previous books I need to remember so I'm not lost?

Y..you didnt enjoy Summer Knight?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Y..you didnt enjoy Summer Knight?

I meant to continue the series, but I got distracted reading something else and forgot about it until recently.

To be honest, I'm looking at the Wikipedia page for Summer Knight and I remember maybe 15% of the plot summary. I remember finding a lot of the Winter Court drama really tedious.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Lester Shy posted:

No, not really. Everything is explained if you need to remember.

If you want those kind of, brief aside glances wink wink, I would re-read Bianca's ball again. Also remember that Harry owe's Mab now.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Why does Cassie start speaking twice, like "YesYes" in the middle of Nightmare Stacks?

I assume it has something to do with her face model dying. But that speech tic seems to come out nowhere and I don't remember it being explained or discussed.

Also, I finished Delirium Brief and it made me upset. Cliffhanger was almost Changes level.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
There's nothing wrong with power fantasy and why pretend there is?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Beachcomber posted:

Why does Cassie start speaking twice, like "YesYes" in the middle of Nightmare Stacks?

I assume it has something to do with her face model dying. But that speech tic seems to come out nowhere and I don't remember it being explained or discussed.

Also, I finished Delirium Brief and it made me upset. Cliffhanger was almost Changes level.

To be fair, experiencing death in that way and waking up knowing that someone just died horribly after days of being tortured would gently caress with your head right good, even if you are an inhuman spy.

And yeah, nothing good is going to come from Mo surviving the confrontation between The Mandate and The Sleeper.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The director of John Wick is doing a Sandman Slim movie.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Fuckin' A!

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

When I picture the action from sandman slim, I can totally see it in the john wick style.

that's a great choice.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Diane Duane probably wrote the first Urban Fantasy that many of us read - So You Want To Be A Wizard. It's YA fiction from before it ever acquired that label, but incredibly well done! It's also the start of a 9-book series that ends up being quite mature and introspective for kidlit. I've gone back to re-read it several times over the years.

Unfortunately, she's going through some real financial issues right now, and is asking for some assistance in the form of ebook sales to help her and her husband out.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Of all the UF I am familiar with, Sandman Slim really does seem like the series that would shine the most on the big screen by a fair margin.

Really hope this ends up happening and does well.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

these were pretty good. great characters and interesting conflict. In some ways i felt it suffered for being fantasy/scifi - the magic bits almost distracted from the interesting bits, the conflict within and between groups and the effects of oppression and dehumanisation. but I've guess you've gotta have a plot to hang your story on. Worth reading fo sho. Absolutely not UF in any way but who gives a poo poo.

General Emergency posted:

There's nothing wrong with power fantasy and why pretend there is?
its boring. the stories only go one way.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

cultureulterior posted:

I recommend 'The Hum and The Shiver', about redneck elves.

Yeah the Tufa books are cool!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
For what it's worth, the current Audible sale has book 1 of basically every recommended series on sale for 5-6 bucks- and Iron Druid. Dresden, Sandman Slim, Rook, Atrocity Archives, etc.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
A little update for Dresden folks:

6 weeks to finish, then what, 4-6 months for final publishing?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
LOL if standing up for two hours causes you leg problems the next day, you need to see a doctor.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Vicissitude posted:

Jim has made similar claims about how much time was left to finish a book in the past and they've almost universally been gross underestimates. I wouldn't start anticipating a release until he confirms that the manuscript has been sent to his editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vicissitude posted:

Who is that awful woman and why is Jim letting her anywhere near his fans?

There's enough entitlement in that post to run the local DMV