Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the smart centrist boys did it agaijn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This election is important, because it's going to be reflected in a lot other countries in the EU, I think.

Both France and Germany also have slowly self-destructing centrist parties, so what has happened to day in Italy could easily happen both there.

The migrant panic has reached critical mass, it seems, and it + the slow suffocation caused by austerity is the new reality of the EU

It'll probably work for a time, too - the abuse of austerity and capitalism run amok, will successfully get sublimated into attacking out-groups. in the interim period, it should be expected that state power will be directly targeted against leftist groups as well, as these guys get into positions of power. so expect fascist murders to rise.

but they'll ultimately be incapable of solving the slew of problems that are gonna come up soon, including the collapse of the housing bubble + debt economy, because the far-right is totally incompetent when it comes to policy that actually works, and they'll never reign in capitalism.

stay safe, filthy euros

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I hate to say it, but China may be the literal last hope in the world right now

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

rudatron posted:

*Laughs Xishly*

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

The Lion Corbyn strikes again

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

rudatron posted:

By god that's Lin Biao's theme song

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The CCP are saving cinema with a Mike Tyson vs Steven Seagal movie about neocolonialism and saved gaming by banning microtransactions and chinese players from interacting with the outside world

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the votes have been cast and the winner is... nyc guido voice!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Someone shot an African in Florence

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Lawman 0 posted:

quote:

Police said they had found a suicide note in the suspect’s apartment and that checks on social media had shown he had a passion for guns. They did not identify the victim or suggest a motive.

:thunk:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Karl Barks posted:

The Lion Corbyn strikes again

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Visidan posted:

never heard of an italian not being able to talk about immigrants, they usually don't call them by that term tho

Oh no they do, the various euphemisms are a pretty recent thing. It's that "immigrant" always carried negative connotations, hence the positive rebranding to "migrant", in turn negatively rebranded with "economic migrant"

Just another crazy guy, nothing to see

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
hah, probably cribbed that from the Australian government we've been using different terms for over 2 decades. asylum seekers and refugees become economic refugees and illegal maritime arrivals depending on who is talking.

the asylum seekers in our offshore concentration camps are called detainees if it's a conservative talking

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
The "best" totally not racist term, though, is "extracomunitary", i.e. an immigrant from outside the EU, i.e. someone who looks different enough. I wonder if Romanians have been removed from that category, now that they've been in the EU for a decade (but to many people they're interchangeable with the Roma and you know how Italians feel about them). Oh and of course it will only be applied to, say, the Swiss in jest. It's one of those terms that tries really hard to put a name on the intangible quality of "people who feel like Our people"

hackbunny has issued a correction as of 16:58 on Mar 5, 2018

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Did 5 star give numbers for their gmi plan?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

hackbunny posted:

The "best" totally not racist term, though, is "extracomunitary", i.e. an immigrant from outside the EU, i.e. someone who looks different enough.

drat that's some amazing racist tech, i think my country being an island has stunted our growth in that area. they just stopped at island prisons

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Feels pretty great to have the chance to re-live the 1930's but with computers

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

Feels pretty great to have the chance to re-live the 1930's but with computers

we're living in an uncreative black mirror ep

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

rudatron posted:

the Italian government doesn't have the best track record for inspiring global hope, it's like always a poo poo show

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looking forward to Ixit

or Italout

or Arrivedexit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Frijolero posted:

Looking forward to Ixit

or Italout

or Arrivedexit

exIT

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Leave the EU, take the cannoli.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

rudatron posted:

This election is important, because it's going to be reflected in a lot other countries in the EU, I think.
europe's been trending this way for a couple of years. at least france might have a left movement in its next elections, but in numerous countries there isn't one. hungary is too far gone, poland's reaching that point, austria's neo-nazi-ish party is pretty close to power, and there's no way the german grand coalition will work well enough to hold off the AfD

the world is going to be hosed in a few years and we may need another world war to get this poo poo out of our systems

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
This was not the worst result imo.

Seems Italians first voted for anti-establishment reform. The weaknesses of the traditional parties allowed the 3rd place winning fascists, but not because they have mass appeal.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

get that OUT of my face posted:

europe's been trending this way for a couple of years. at least france might have a left movement in its next elections, but in numerous countries there isn't one. hungary is too far gone, poland's reaching that point, austria's neo-nazi-ish party is pretty close to power, and there's no way the german grand coalition will work well enough to hold off the AfD

the world is going to be hosed in a few years and we may need another world war to get this poo poo out of our systems

weird how every country where the centre-left are unrepentant lovely neoliberals are paving the way for a populist right wing revival

weird

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
now it's time for the Italian Left to mount a comeback, first order of the day: kill the bad dem party or take it over

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

now it's time for the Italian Left to mount a comeback, first order of the day: kill the bad dem party or take it over

I have exactly zero hope of this. Negative hope even. You can't blame apathy or "liberalism fatigue" like with Trump: turnout was high (although in steady decline) and the defeat of leftist ideals very clear

Lawman 0 posted:

The culprit explained that he lost the nerve to kill himself, and decided to get jailed instead (???), so that he wouldn't be a burden on his family anymore (???). Out he walked, resolving to kill the first person that crossed his path (???). Since the first people he came across were a couple with kids, he settled for the second: a random peddler. You be the judge

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

He had a carry permit. They're, supposedly, extremely hard to get unless you're police or military, but people who obsess over "the right to self-defense" (as this guy apparently did on his Facebook profile) somehow always get them

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Frijolero posted:

Looking forward to Ixit

or Italout
Va' fa'n cEuro

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

weird how every country where the centre-left are unrepentant lovely neoliberals are paving the way for a populist right wing revival

weird
every country being "pretty much every country in the developed world"

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
what's the italian left's excuse for sucking so much

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seems like the country that invented fascism really likes it

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

LinYutang posted:

Look up operation gladio and propaganda deux. The literal answer is US interference in the cold war creating a shadow government tasked with systematically destroying the concept of leftist politics.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

LinYutang posted:

There are no leftists in Italy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

mama mia!

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

LinYutang posted:

literally, unironically, it's all america's and britain's fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Byolante posted:

Look up operation gladio and propaganda deux. The literal answer is US interference in the cold war creating a shadow government tasked with systematically destroying the concept of leftist politics.

sure but you can't just blame america tho i know that is extremely en vogue

• Locked thread