Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ijii posted:

I've been aware of Star Citizen since the initial kickstarter days, and haven't been paying close attention to their development, just snippets here and there. I just started to look into it more since the new year, and its S42 is shaping up pretty good. I'm thinking a 2021 release date which is plenty fine.

Also how can anybody here poo poo on an unreleased game with Sir Davos in it?

ps. I haven't spent a single dime on the crowd funding.

thatsbait.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Breakfast Feud posted:

It's definitely a scam, but it's not the same kind of scam a ponzi is. It's more like MLM where everyone knows it's shady but according the law, it's fine.

It basically is a Ponzi though. At some point, probably 3+ years and 80 million plus dollars ago, Crobberts realized that he needed A LOT more money just to deliver the absolute basics of all the poo poo he had already sold. Having to continue taking in more money to deliver to the previous “investors” is basically the definition of a Ponzi.

He didn’t set out to do this from the start but he absolutely realized it at some point during development. The honest thing to do would have been to explain the situation and throw yourself on the mercy of the backers (wallets) and hope they’d continue to fund you. And they would have. Maybe they woulda lost some income but there’s plenty of true believers and those wallowing in the depths of sunk cost fallacy.

But they didn’t do that, they doubled down on sleazy marketing 101 tactics and continued on business as usual.

I think it’s pointless to call it a scam because then you devolve into meaningless discussions of what exactly a scam is, but I also don’t think calling it a scam is incorrect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think people feel calling it a scam is assuming Roberts actually knows what he's doing.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think people feel calling it a scam is assuming Roberts actually knows what he's doing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

While this is true I wouldn’t assume for a second that he’s he one running the scam. He’s the puppet and probably has some say but there are definitely people working behind him that are up to no good.

Ps buy more ships.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I still don’t really understand this thing. Some people say it doesn’t exist, and others say it’s a game that exists and you can play it now. But there is a beta right? How many of the things you can do in Elite and No Mans Sky can you do in the beta? Trading? Combat? Exploration?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Alpha.

No trading. No exploration.

It’s one system with a few quests? Combat is working?

Doors mostly don’t work.

It crashes a lot.

It’s an ALPHA screams the citizen!!!!

6 years into development.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So all you can do in the alpha is dogfighting in one single system? What about the famous ships, how many of them can you use in the alpha?

I’m still confused as to why the fans haven’t turned on this game. People were sending death threats to the No Mans Sky guy and that’s a game that’s far closer to what was promised than this seems to be.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

marktheando posted:

So all you can do in the alpha is dogfighting in one single system? What about the famous ships, how many of them can you use in the alpha?

I’m still confused as to why the fans haven’t turned on this game. People were sending death threats to the No Mans Sky guy and that’s a game that’s far closer to what was promised than this seems to be.

Nobody gave Hello Games 50 thousand dollars.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

marktheando posted:

Uh I think maybe 30% of the ships that they have sold are actually flyable in game? Someone can correct me but it might not even be that many.

The poo poo they are selling most of it doesn’t even have anything besides a fancy .jpg and some bullshit specs.

Hell they are selling ground vehicles that have no place in the game. Buy a Tonk.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

I still don’t really understand this thing. Some people say it doesn’t exist, and others say it’s a game that exists and you can play it now. But there is a beta right? How many of the things you can do in Elite and No Mans Sky can you do in the beta? Trading? Combat? Exploration?

if you want a game thats actually a game, and delivers on the promises of Star Citizen you should check out Empyrion: Galactic Survival. it basically does all the poo poo star citizen promises, but it actually works and is playable. the graphics are a bit blocky and low res, but thets the trade off for having fast transitions between planets and space sections. it has Newtonian physics on the ships and you can walk around in them when they are flying and do ship stuff at the same time as a space battle is going on. If someone blows the side off your ship you lose atmosphere and get exposed to space, or hit your warp engine then you cant warp, that sort of thing! you can even have a big capital ships crewed by a team of people or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61c1_iA2Ce0

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Rutibex posted:

if you want a game thats actually a game, and delivers on the promises of Star Citizen you should check out Empyrion: Galactic Survival.
I've looked and looked but I don't see anywhere that I can buy a $1500 space ship.

Pass

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know ED gets poo poo on a lot but it’s a real game that works that you can play right now. It’s going to do everything that SC is trying to do.

quote:

In Elite, right this second, I am 1.5 light seconds from a planetoid that just did a slingshot around a neutron star. Its orbit is elliptical, about one hour or so. I intend to land on it while it is relatively distant from the star, but outside its destructive particle jet cones. I am flying a stripped down Diamondback Explorer, and to get here I repeatedly boosted my max jump range in other neutron stars... after departing a small but growing community of remote colonies that did not exist two years ago.

I like ED and I’ll freely admit it’s definitely not for everyone. SC really has nothing on ED and really never will.
It’s pretty amazing if you compare the games side by side.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

marktheando posted:

That's an interesting question. I think it's sunk cost fallacy, marketing and the illusion that it's all still coming, just delayed a bit (coming up on four years of delays now...). Firstly, a lot of the true believers have spent a lot more than a normal preorder's worth of money on this, and I think rather than making them madder it just makes them believe harder. Secondly, CIG succesfully brands themselves as the good guys, unlike all those big publishers with their DLCs and microtransactions, just a genuine little dev, and the fans really get behind that - even while they're milking all they can through a cash shop for ships and premium weapons and ammo for a game that doesn't quite exist yet. And since development runs forever, there hasn't come a point where they have to admit the features they promised just aren't there. For as long as they have money, they don't ever need to say "this is done, this is the release", they can just keep up the hope that one day, all those promises will be delivered.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

InternetJunky posted:

I've looked and looked but I don't see anywhere that I can buy a $1500 space ship.

Pass

Make checks payable to Literally A. Person. I will personally MSPaint you a fancy spaceship.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Re: Marketing

They really are loving great(evil) at this. If the lay person takes a quick look at all of their promotional videos and poo poo you can easily think this is the greatest space game ever.

That’s one thing that seriously pisses me off the game looks like it should be loving amazing and something I’d love to play except none of it is actually playable or even started in the pipeline.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
Can we at least expect to see some assets that can be used by actually competent people once this house of cards inevitably collapses?

I mean, must have something to show for all this, right?

Svensken fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 5, 2018

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I think it's okay to call the game a scam and assume that Croberts is an inept dumdum.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I hope Clifford~aka~miku is ok

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Svensken posted:

Can we at least expect to see some assets that can be used by actually competent people once this house out cards inevitably collapses?

I mean, must have something to show for all this, right?

Sure I’m sure someone will use generic halomarine001.jpg or the warthog rip off.

Also a lot of their stupid ship models have poly counts that no PC will be able to push in a game setting for literally years.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Playing off the naivety of basement dwellers and forever aloners to sell thousand dollar jpegs is objectively a scam.

Then again, a bunch of weird sex creeps also got scammed, so maybe it's fine.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I can't wait to see what the Google Play asset ripoffs of Star Citizen look like.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I really liked both Elite and No Mans Sky, though for me they both got to a point where the grind to get the next ship is ridiculous. But yeah they definitely have the huge advantage over Star Citizen of being complete released games.

Rutibex posted:

if you want a game thats actually a game, and delivers on the promises of Star Citizen you should check out Empyrion: Galactic Survival. it basically does all the poo poo star citizen promises, but it actually works and is playable. the graphics are a bit blocky and low res, but thets the trade off for having fast transitions between planets and space sections. it has Newtonian physics on the ships and you can walk around in them when they are flying and do ship stuff at the same time as a space battle is going on. If someone blows the side off your ship you lose atmosphere and get exposed to space, or hit your warp engine then you cant warp, that sort of thing! you can even have a big capital ships crewed by a team of people or whatever

This looks incredible.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Rutibex posted:

but do the ships have TOILETS???

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Hemingway To Go! posted:

A related question; How many frames of animation does it take to open my helmet. If it's less than 60, I'm out.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hemingway To Go! posted:

yes, they do. and toilets cure the "food poisoning" condition when you click on them

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Captain's log:

Today is the third anniversary of me ordering and paying for my ship. It's still not finished. But this is fine. Can't wait for all the adventures.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
The worst thing that could happen to a citizen is the game being released.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

Looks amazing but I'm assuming its a no go while its in alpha right?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Over There posted:

Looks amazing but I'm assuming its a no go while its in alpha right?

there are a few annoying bugs and stuff, but its playable and fun. there really is not an "end game" component yet, once you build a big capital ship the only thing left to do is fly around and blow up other peoples big capital ships. but before you reach that stage there is a good 10-15 hours worth of gameplay surviving on exotic planets, trying to fly to the moon, getting eaten by dinosaurs, ect.

basically, its growing but i would say its worth the $20 it costs now. there is enough game to chew on. it even has the beginnings of a scenario editor, and a few dozen people have put up custom scenario on the steam workshop

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

there are a few annoying bugs and stuff, but its playable and fun. there really is not an "end game" component yet, once you build a big capital ship the only thing left to do is fly around and blow up other peoples big capital ships. but before you reach that stage there is a good 10-15 hours worth of gameplay surviving on exotic planets, trying to fly to the moon, getting eaten by dinosaurs, ect.

basically, its growing but i would say its worth the $20 it costs now. there is enough game there right now. it even has the beginnings of a scenario editor, and a few dozen people have put up custom scenario on the steam workshop

Oh cool. Have you played No Man's Sky? Is it anything like that?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Over There posted:

Oh cool. Have you played No Man's Sky? Is it anything like that?

sort of. I didn't really play no mans sky, I just watched a few lets plays. it seemed like a big scam.

from what i understand they added capital ships and base building to no mans sky? the big difference between this and no mans sky is the fact that can be multiplayer, also the scenarios are more focused. there are not 1000 billion trillion gillion proceduraly generated planets, each scenario has 10-50 planetary systems and its a combination of procedural generation and hand crafted. also the ships in Empryion are made of blocks, which means they are 100% custom and they have perfect location damage. so if someone hits your right engines it will blow up and you can't turn left any more, that sort of thing (I dont know if no mans sky can do that)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/947391707703889920
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/948134898241589248
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/949371087699283968
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/970701464032210945
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/970759664978800640

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Who is that?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Who is human evil

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

a new study bible! posted:

I think it's okay to call the game a scam and assume that Croberts is an inept dumdum.

Same and also I love your av

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Beet Wagon posted:

Same and also I love your av

I miss the one when it was the hot football player

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

happyhippy posted:

Not sure about coding or game making, but I work in Customer Support
And we do cs support 24/7, where our US guys take over from us, and we take over from them.

And accessing the US databases are a loving pain, and this is just limited customer data.
I would assume trying to access gigabits of textures and game data 10k miles away would be a nightmare

From a few pages back, but the way software development works is that you use a source management system that allows people to check out code, modify it, and commit the changes back to the central code repository. The initial download of the repository could potentially be quite large if they've included all of the assets in that single repository, but from then on the system is smart enough to only move changes back and forth (i.e. this file had this line changed from DoFart() to DoPoo()) rather than sending entire files. So even if those assets did change it would send the entire files back and forth.

There's really nothing wrong with distributing a team geographically, plenty of companies do it. But it certainly doesn't lead to more man-hours as has been pointed out, that's a bizarre line of thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I jist realized something, Ben Lesnick looks just like a human version of Junior Gorg from Fraggle Rock. Now that is all I can see, its uncanny.