Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
What's the difference between the regular version and the digital deluxe, Steam doesn't say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BattleTech posted:

What's the difference between the regular version and the digital deluxe, Steam doesn't say.

It actually does. Expand the Pre Purchase Offer section.

You get an art book, wallpaper, forum avatar, and the soundtrack.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The soundtrack is gonna be soooo good. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OqJc5ysiIk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yloBqsZonE

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dragonfalls was superb

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

As a habitual game-silencer, i'm here to tell you: play it with headphones and the music on. Seriously.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
HBS have an extremely strong track record with music in their games, this looks to follow the trend.

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
In his image God made me ugly.

Phrosphor posted:

Who is good at Mech silhouettes? Can anyone identify the robit to the left of the Awesome here? Is that an Assassin??

I'm thinking Cyclops.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Orchestral music is overused af and does not get me pumped to punch another machine in the face with my punch machine.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A take almost as hot as a Nova alpha striking.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Orchestral music is overused af and does not get me pumped to punch another machine in the face with my punch machine.

lol?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Freakazoid only gets pumped to the beats of that Casio keyboard your friend had in the 80s

I would've been genuinely questioning HBS had they not gotten Jon Everist to do BT, so ...I'm good with this.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Sadistic posted:

I'm thinking Cyclops.

It's an Orion if you D/L the background in the KS update and zoom in.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Freakazoid_ posted:

I feel pumped to sorrowfully put metal fist to metal face as violins wail though.

edit: Seriously listen to that first link all through and imagine an atlas on the drums as a single coolant tear rolls down his cheek.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 2, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

vorebane posted:

I feel pumped to sorrowfully put metal fist to metal face as violins wail though.

edit: Seriously listen to that first link all through and imagine an atlas on the drums as a single coolant tear rolls down his cheek.

it's a cello, so if we're lucky, we can re-enact this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QZuOQZ1HC4

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I'd go for industrial metal, but thats mostly a desire to bring back the RA95 glory days.

Will try to force in a bunch of Klepackis music to override the soundtrack once this is out, anyway. I modded XCOM2 the same way as soon as someone added TibDawn and RA to the Workshop

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Psion posted:

it's a cello, so if we're lucky, we can re-enact this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QZuOQZ1HC4

I was thinking of the second link with the orchestra, including sad violins, but I see how I was confusing there.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Sadistic posted:

I'm thinking Cyclops.

It's an Orion.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

E: Wrong thread.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
new leaked screenshot

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

rt4 posted:

new leaked screenshot

Just in time for another warcrimes tangent in the files editing based LP thread :allears:

quote:

Some are better at war crimes than others.

Sounds like something straight out of the SNC informational pamphlet.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 3, 2018

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

rt4 posted:

new leaked screenshot

Well it's no Cyberstorm.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Or Sekai, if you go to the sequel.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Freakazoid_ posted:

*Sigh*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DWyuWh7gPA

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

For a second I thought that was Theme 1 with the rocking guitars and I was gonna be like "Way to prove him right". Then I listened to it, and I'd totally punch robots to that.

Hell,I'd punch robots to this.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 5, 2018

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

This twitter thread has led to some interesting discussion on the Discord, so I thought I would post it here as well. Isilidur/Kiva talking about design goals regarding Ironman style play and accepting losses rather than reloading your game. The top link is the start of the thread and the bottom one is my favourite part of it.

https://twitter.com/HBS_Kiva/status/970727136016326656

https://twitter.com/HBS_Kiva/status/970727143998046211

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That is a very good design philosophy. Let's hope it comes out in game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Good loving luck with that.

No fault on Isildur part, though. I always treat my squadies in TBS games like my tiny pixilated children. I will move heaven and earth, and also save scum my wizened little heart out to protect them. I can't even conceive of a design where losses might feel like a natural part of the progression.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
My biggest issue with ironman in any game isn't that I can't accept losses but that crashes, bugs and misclicks happen and I am not OK with those causing poo poo to go wrong.

E:

I think that a big problem with games that tout ironman modes as a big deal is that they generally also have a high degree of lethiality for units; that is, your units might die in only 1 or 2 attacks so it is very possible to suffer the loss of a unit from a handful of unlucky die rolls. If your losses feel like they were the result of poor decisionmaking rather than bad luck then you don't feel the urge to reload so hard.

Related, just how (un)likely is it to get instantly headshot and killed in Battletech? Are there systems in place so that this can't really happen?

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 5, 2018

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Freakazoid_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2jS4ZaVOWA

TA had tons of robots! I don't recall any necessarily being punch machines, but still!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

My biggest issue with ironman in any game isn't that I can't accept losses but that crashes, bugs and misclicks happen and I am not OK with those causing poo poo to go wrong.

It's also super frustrating on most first-plays of a game; when I want to test something out that the game's rules don't explicitly spell out. "Does throwing a grenade here in XCOM make the ceiling collapse? Do two tons of falling concrete hurt a muton?" If you have ironman on, there's no way you're going to risk throwing that grenade, because if you do, one of your mans will probably die for no reason if you don't do the boring thing and set up your squad to pin & overwatch. With ironman off, you're free to, you know, play around. You can experiment with weird things that might or might not work in the game and see what comes of it.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

That is a very good design philosophy. Let's hope it comes out in game.

Hmn. Thats a tough balance to strike!

The only way you can really make people accept a loss like that is if you build up to it through emotional engagement, or make their death heroic enough to live with the fallout. Or to put forth a threat overwhelming enough to warrant a sacrifice AND have the player not think it was bullshit unfair, but instead had to choose who wasn't going to make it so everyone else had to succeed. And I don't mean in the 'xcom ending' way where you have to pick one automatic hero to die after you've already beat the game.

Unfortunately, its a lot harder to write story that resonates than it is to disable the quickload button.

Worse, all these things are harder when you're writing less scripted/fluid tabletop game.

I look forward to seeing how you've managed on release!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

aniviron posted:

It's also super frustrating on most first-plays of a game; when I want to test something out that the game's rules don't explicitly spell out. "Does throwing a grenade here in XCOM make the ceiling collapse? Do two tons of falling concrete hurt a muton?" If you have ironman on, there's no way you're going to risk throwing that grenade, because if you do, one of your mans will probably die for no reason if you don't do the boring thing and set up your squad to pin & overwatch. With ironman off, you're free to, you know, play around. You can experiment with weird things that might or might not work in the game and see what comes of it.

Don't play your first game with Ironman on maybe? :shrug:

I dunno, this feels like a problem with a really easy solution.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

aniviron posted:

You can just say you won't reload unless there's a bug or a crash.

I played the original xcom through like that when it came out and it was amazing, though as that was probably locked on easy because of the bug it maybe proves kivas point...

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

RabidWeasel posted:

E:

I think that a big problem with games that tout ironman modes as a big deal is that they generally also have a high degree of lethiality for units; that is, your units might die in only 1 or 2 attacks so it is very possible to suffer the loss of a unit from a handful of unlucky die rolls. If your losses feel like they were the result of poor decisionmaking rather than bad luck then you don't feel the urge to reload so hard.

Related, just how (un)likely is it to get instantly headshot and killed in Battletech? Are there systems in place so that this can't really happen?

As of Beta 2, you cannot be killed in a single headshot by anything less than an AC20. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

In Beta 1, stuff like this would happen occasionally:

However, I know for a fact that the AC10 isn't a headcapper anymore. One thing to bear in mind though, a single shot headcap is the most :battletech: thing that can happen, so there is some pull from the community for things like this to still be in the game..

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
I should mention that we are not shipping with ironman, because ironman + launch bugs that eat your game = ragequits.

It's actually easier to deal with the loss of a MW because the really absurdly expensive and powerful thing is the 'Mech. You can stick a rookie in the cockpit of a Catapult and it will still be a Catapult. The specifics of how BT works are in my favor on this issue.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

under standard tabletop 3025-era rules, anything that hits the HD has a chance, very small though it might be, to kill your pilot, and the ac20 is the only weapon with enough damage output to outright destroy the HD in a single hit.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

isildur posted:

I should mention that we are not shipping with ironman, because ironman + launch bugs that eat your game = ragequits.

It's actually easier to deal with the loss of a MW because the really absurdly expensive and powerful thing is the 'Mech. You can stick a rookie in the cockpit of a Catapult and it will still be a Catapult. The specifics of how BT works are in my favor on this issue.

Will you be able to buy/hire more veteran mechwarriors as the campaign progresses to replace losses? You know, mercs jumping ship from other units, dispossessed, that kind of thing?

or will you always be training a new hire up from basic rookie?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RabidWeasel posted:

In classic Tabletop any weapon that gets shot at the front of a Mech has a 2.7% chance of hitting the head. (And even then the AC20 is the only one that is guaranteed to actually result in a kill from that head hit).
I think this game is using similar probability tables, although it's totally possible that they changed it up. (And they can be modded anyhow if you wanted to, easily).

So it's not very common at all, but if you are doing things like vomiting a huge pile of missiles or machineguns on burst fire or something at a Mech, you'll get some head hits.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

TheParadigm posted:

Will you be able to buy/hire more veteran mechwarriors as the campaign progresses to replace losses? You know, mercs jumping ship from other units, dispossessed, that kind of thing?

or will you always be training a new hire up from basic rookie?

This has come up before. You can hire veteran mercs, but they are a lot more expensive. I think the initial design goal was they might end up really cocky as well and mess up unit morale, but that system was sadly cut.

Mitch has said that you can upgrade the argo to have simulator pods, so you can have rookies in training to level them up before they hit the field.

As I have found from my LP, low skill pilots are pretty crap. A 2/2/2/2 pilot dies easy, can't hit a barn, falls over a lot and doesn't have any idea what is attacking him until he can see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Phrosphor posted:

This has come up before. You can hire veteran mercs, but they are a lot more expensive. I think the initial design goal was they might end up really cocky as well and mess up unit morale, but that system was sadly cut.

Mitch has said that you can upgrade the argo to have simulator pods, so you can have rookies in training to level them up before they hit the field.

As I have found from my LP, low skill pilots are pretty crap. A 2/2/2/2 pilot dies easy, can't hit a barn, falls over a lot and doesn't have any idea what is attacking him until he can see it.

Sounds good to me. I do agree a major part of the universe is 'those mechs cost a fortune, bring those back safe...eh we can find some new pilots though' so as long as I can toss my stupid newbies into a Learning Bed to make them not suck total poo poo I'm fine with them being expendables.