Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Grem posted:

I'm sure my Cookie has that covered. https://petnet.io/

I'm sure your cookie would also be a sociopath who wouldn't see you as a real person and would orchestrate your demise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cojawfee posted:

I'm sure your cookie would also be a sociopath who wouldn't see you as a real person and would orchestrate your demise.

I honest to god thought that part was going to go murderhouse but nope.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Cojawfee posted:

Couple thousand years in the hole will fix that problem.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

DoctorWhat posted:

Your refusal to concede and acknowledge the humanity of Cookies speaks to a profoundly broken sense of empathy and I would not trust you to feed a starving dog.

Pretty much. It’s either really humorless trolling or media illiteracy to claim Jon Hamm’s character is in the right. Like, what do you think the point of the episode is? A World’s Fair look at a glorious domestic future?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

If this is just a roundabout way to poo poo on people on the autism spectrum, save it.

Not in the slightest?

If you're watching a show from the perspective of a character, are invited to identify with the character, are encouraged to feel fear and concern when bad things happen to the character, but then cite sci-fi canon technicalities to conclude "the character doesn't matter and their suffering is fine", I don't know what to tell you. Such a person would have to be so disengaged with the show they're watching that I can't even guess what inspired them to watch it at all.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If there weren't people who go "Well they deserved it since they're not a 'real' person" Black Mirror wouldn't work as a show.

It's just weird they watch it at all when the shows premise is basically "Hey gently caress these people"

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I like to think of them as little brain breaks.

"Hey, that dude that caught his wife cheating was pretty rough, huh? Let's watch some robots get poo poo on"

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So do you particularly give a poo poo if people in your actual life other than yourself are suffering?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Send in the bees

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

So do you particularly give a poo poo if people in your actual life other than yourself are suffering?

Yup.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

Not in the slightest?

If you're watching a show from the perspective of a character, are invited to identify with the character, are encouraged to feel fear and concern when bad things happen to the character, but then cite sci-fi canon technicalities to conclude "the character doesn't matter and their suffering is fine", I don't know what to tell you. Such a person would have to be so disengaged with the show they're watching that I can't even guess what inspired them to watch it at all.

Don't you remember the ending to Blade Runner were Decker finds out he is a Skyrim character?

Seriously, the plot point at the end of Act 1 is that these beings are real people and not just some mindless simulation. That is what makes us, the audience, care for these characters in this story. A couple of posters ignored this plot point and can't understand why Daly is the blatant villain of the story.

The writers could make a fantasy story about a sentient rock and some people will still argue "But rocks aren't sentient! I don't feel bad about crushing rocks!"

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Grem posted:

"Hey, that dude that caught his wife cheating was pretty rough, huh? Let's watch some robots get poo poo on"

While I think you aren't arguing in good faith at all, if you are does it not worry you how easy it is for you to label something 'not human', even if there are more similarities than you care to admit? Does it not worry you the philosophical implications don't even enter your mind at all?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I honest to god thought that part was going to go murderhouse but nope.

Yeah those last couple minutes just yelled "murder" and I kind of thought she'd kill the real her but be stuck with nothing to do for eternity. Or until the power gets shut down and some random burglar finds the cookie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Black Mirror is getting a fifth season.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Black Mirror is getting a fifth season.

:hellyeah:

Just finished catching up on Season 4 last night, which I felt wrapped up pretty nicely. Looking forward to this.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Grem posted:

If someone were to pop into existence in front of you, begin torturing you and when you protest they say "Hey sorry you're a simulation, none of this is real, otherwise how did I just appear here" would your reaction be to think "Ah drat I guess I gotta deal with this forever then, I'm not real so none of this matters!"?

Or would you probably still try to stop them/end your life because being tortured generally doesn't feel great and you're a sentient person even if you're not real in their eyes?

Just curious.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I'd super kill them. I'm not saying John Hamm and all them are role models doing God's work or anything, I'm just saying AI aren't people.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Grem posted:

I'd super kill them. I'm not saying John Hamm and all them are role models doing God's work or anything, I'm just saying AI aren't people.

What's the line? If it's an AI in a meat body, can you torture it? If a human brain was in VR, would that be ok? If you were part of a political class that just really didn't see Kurds as fully human, would torturing them be acceptable?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I gave my line earlier but I'll restate it. If next season has an episode where they take the cookie of a baby and it learns new emotions then I'll concede the ai are sentient. For now they're just mimicking the emotions they're programmed with.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Monkey does not love you

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

It seems like this discussion just devolves into a debate about p-zombies. I would argue that the show does as much as it can without getting bogged down in the details to demonstrate that fully sentient (sapient, really) AI with qualia is possible.

I don't understand the distinction of learning emotions vs. them being mimicked. It doesn't change whether or not their are experiencing sentience. For that matter, there's little evidence to support that their emotions are mimicked rather than emergent.

It seems that all of the evidence from the show tells us that they made programs that essentially replicate our brain activities and the emotions emerge from that. The difference is that most of the AIs are based on grown adults, so something like anger is not new or unfamiliar. It doesn't mean that the specific emotions were programmed in. The anger just emerges from all of the knowledge and experiences the cookie was imbued with. And if the emotions were programmed in to be mimicked, then why would a baby cookie learning emotions convince you? You could just argue that the AI is programmed to develop in a way that resembles learning.

The 'programming' is the capability of software to run a virtual human brain. We're not given any indication that the AI mind is any less sophisticated than an actual brain, which leads me to believe that there is no actual programming of their behavior. It's entirely emergent from their sapience and subsequent thoughts/behavior, just like real people.

Again, the weirdest part to wrestle with is that the AI allows you to make a copy of a mind that is already fully developed, which I suppose is easier to explain away as a mindless clone because nothing they've learned or experienced was actually real for the copy. But it doesn't make them into a not-real person moving forward as a sentient being or somehow make their current experiences any less real because they can only be contextualized by 'fake' experiences and memories.

Also, is it OK to torture a human who is an autistic sociopath if they don't fully understand all emotions and rely on mimicry?

Ror fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 6, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know how people can argue that these cookies aren't sentient when the show itself says they are. You don't get to talk about a show and then make up your own argument that contradicts what the show itself says.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Ror posted:

It seems like this discussion just devolves into a debate about p-zombies. I would argue that the show does as much as it can without getting bogged down in the details to demonstrate that fully sentient (sapient, really) AI with qualia is possible.
Grem's denial goes much deeper than wondering if p-zombies exist. His stance is that if X is created by Y with the ability to experience Z, then X experiencing Z is not a bad thing even when it is obviously suffering from experiencing Z.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I do my best to follow all the obviously smarter than me philosophy chat here but I ain't doing loving algebra to have this conversation.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Grem posted:

I do my best to follow all the obviously smarter than me philosophy chat here but I ain't doing loving algebra to have this conversation.

You could perhaps begin by watching the episodes again and paying attention to their most basic surface level text.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

DrNutt posted:

You could perhaps begin by watching the episodes again and paying attention to their most basic surface level text.

It's pretty basic progression from I'll Be Right Back -> White Christmas -> USS Callister, I didn't miss anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Grem posted:

It's pretty basic progression from I'll Be Right Back -> White Christmas -> USS Callister, I didn't miss anything.

You missed the part where the show blatantly says they are sentient. If you think that's complicated mathematics, I hope you don't have an important job.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Grem posted:

I gave my line earlier but I'll restate it. If next season has an episode where they take the cookie of a baby and it learns new emotions then I'll concede the ai are sentient. For now they're just mimicking the emotions they're programmed with.

I've never observed you learning new emotions.

So.....

Grem posted:

Also this is an anthology series. There is no timeline here.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 6, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cojawfee posted:

You missed the part where the show blatantly says they are sentient. If you think that's complicated mathematics, I hope you don't have an important job.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grem posted:

I mean, babies are just mimicking the emotions they are programmed with...

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The average human being hasn't even settled the question if people of other gender, ethnicity or nationality should have human rights. I'm not really shocked to find out that someone on the internet doesn't want to give sentient Walmart cashierbot a vacation.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Where would they go? Looks pretty boring in there.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Supercar Gautier posted:

Not in the slightest?
Retracted with apologies.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Don't be obtuse. For example, it could take up painting in the art supplies sections or explore its robosexuality with other robots.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I heard about a friend being forced to turn over his UNLOCKED smartphone at the border.
Googled and found this article :
https://qz.com/912950/never-bring-your-phone-on-an-international-flight-unless-you-want-us-border-control-and-customs-to-take-your-data/

The entire history of you?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Considering how quickly all of the security stuff becomes normalised this is absolutely the way things are heading. As soon as there’s a contactless or even just a plug which can scan your phone in the time they take to read your passport or put your shoes through the X-ray then expect to start seeing them.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Anime_Ladies.html posted:

An episode about your terrible twitter opinions from 4/5 years ago being broadcast to everyone at all times.

Only you're a criminal, rigged up to a machine that shuffles through your feed at random and promotes the worst, most-cringy tweets. Every like gets you a mild electric shock, and activates more bots to promote the post. Every retweet gets a more-intense shock and makes the machine tweet your Bad Opinions to accounts with lots of followers. If they reply, you get electrocuted and the machine closes your account. Then your carcass gets pulled out and disposed of, and another terrified criminal gets brought in....

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
At some point this thread will transition from

"Let's debate an episode" to

"welp here's another thing from Black Mirror that's real now" to

"ok it's just all true, whatever"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
At this rate social media will definitely release bees to kill us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

At some point this thread will transition from

"Let's debate an episode" to

"welp here's another thing from Black Mirror that's real now" to

"ok it's just all true, whatever"

Transition? I make copies of my ex-girlfriends new boyfriends and let them die in XCOM and have them strike out constantly in MLB The Show 18. He's never getting called up, haha! Pure torture. gently caress him though, and it makes me feel better.