Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yes you can, trust me lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A MIRACLE posted:

Yes you can, trust me lol

Try getting closer

Bows are for hugging

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Zaphod42 posted:

Most of what people have been talking about ITT is HEMA which is not Fencing. Fencing is unarmored fights with very light blades; epee, rapier and foil.

We're talking about shortsword and longsword combat, unarmored and armored. You don't fence with a longsword. COMPLETELY different fighting styles.

Sorry to be pedantic but its an important distinction.

Fencing was specifically fighting for duels, and developed into a sport. HEMA is based on what we know of battlefield swordfighting.

Almost everything in this post is wrong.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 6, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

KyloWinter posted:

Yeah, I didn't believe him when he apologized for being pedantic

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KyloWinter posted:

If so much is wrong you should be able to say at least one thing.

E: You could say Fencing is a sub-set of HEMA I guess, but the rest of what I said stands. Its a particular sub-set with different weapons and pretty heavily different style.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 6, 2018

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Can we just enjoy or not enjoy a video game without nerding it up?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Sir, this is a Something Awful drivethrough.

The english term "fencing" is a modern one, that's true and a more accurate one would be swordplay or swordmanship I guess. That said, I too feel the distinction to be very nitpicky. I use the world "fencer" a lot cause, while HEMA is the international name, the italian name for it is Scherma Storica (Historical Fencing - no one uses HEMA unless they're talking to an international audience) and you can draw a continuous cultural line from that to modern sport fencing. There is a ton of overlapping lingo and concepts (there is also a ton of different things though).
So I guess you could say a 1400 person would never call it fencing...but simply because the term did not exist at the time; in fact, by mid 1500 the term "Scrima" (ancient italian for "Scherma") is used by several Masters to define what they are teaching (IE: Giovanni dalle Gocchie's manual is called "Dell'Arte della Scrima" - On the Art of Fencing). And while it could be a stretch to use the term Fencing to address some of HEMA contents (IE: horseback combat or wrestling), it can safely be used when talking about swordplay.

That said, the HEMA discussion is already tangent to KC:D, so I guess sperging about it isn't really kosher.

Content: at the start of the game when you come back to Skalizt, you find the body of the dead bailiff and you can loot his sword. There is no trace of the guy teaching you fencing you sparry with at the beginning, right? Guess he fled like a real sellsword :D I looked around for him, totally not to try and loot his sword too.

Also, I've noticed that if you go through the bottom right building complex before entering the walls, there is a group of armed dudes. I fled, but I assume it's Runt and his cronies?

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 6, 2018

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

yes you are free to go enjoy your video game however you like, but I think the rest of us nerds find a lot of this HEMA stuff interesting though so I'm happy to keep reading it itt

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Zaphod42 posted:

If so much is wrong you should be able to say at least one thing.

E: You could say Fencing is a sub-set of HEMA I guess, but the rest of what I said stands. Its a particular sub-set with different weapons and pretty heavily different style.

Fencing the olympic sport is not the only way to use the word fencing. Shortsword isn't really a term we use, I think it comes from RPGs like DND. The fighting styles aren't as different as you think. Covering lines and using angles is still the thing to do, and many HEMA clubs are associated with oly clubs. Fencing THE SPORT didn't just pull from duels as they draw from sabre, a military swordplay tradition. HEMA basically covers the traditions that modern sport fencing evolved from. HEMA is not just battlefield sword fighting, in fact the most popular discipline within HEMA, unarmored longsword, isn't about battlefields.

Posts like yours perpetuate misinformation

Orv
May 4, 2011
Italian Guy's posts are rad, even as someone waiting for a bit on this game, keep 'em going. Zaphod, per usual, a dumbass.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

That Italian Guy posted:

Also, I've noticed that if you go through the bottom right building complex before entering the walls, there is a group of armed dudes. I fled, but I assume it's Runt and his cronies? [/spoiler]

It's a different group. If you manage to kill them (stealth is most effective) they have really, really strong gear for where you are at that point.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

That Italian Guy posted:

Sir, this is Something Awful drivethrough.

The english term "fencing" is a modern one, that's true and a more accurate one would be swordplay or swordmanship I guess. That said, I too feel the distinction to be very nitpicky. I use the world "fencer" a lot cause, while HEMA is the international name, the italian name for it is Scherma Storica (Historical Fencing - no one uses HEMA unless they're talking to a international audience) and you can draw a continuous cultural line from that to modern sport fencing. There is a ton of overlapping lingo and concepts (there is also a ton of different things though).
So I guess you could say a 1400 person would never call it fencing...but simply because the term did not exist at the time; in fact, by mid 1500 the term "Scrima" (ancient italian for "Scherma") is used by several Masters to define what they are teaching (IE: Giovanni dalle Gocchie's manual is called "Dell'Arte della Scrima" - The Art of Fencing). And while it could be a stretch to use the term Fencing to address some of HEMA contents (IE: horseback combat or wrestling), it can safely be used when talking about swordplay.

That said, the HEMA discussion is already tangent to KC:D, so I guess sperging about it isn't really kosher.

Content: at the start of the game when you come back to Skalizt, you find the body of the dead bailiff and you can loot his sword. There is no trace of the guy teaching you f you sparry with at the beginning, right? Guess he fled like a real sellsword :D I looked around for him, totally not to try and loot his sword too.

Also, I've noticed that if you go through the bottom right building complex before entering the walls, there is a group of armed dudes. I fled, but I assume it's Runt and his cronies?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's a different group. If you manage to kill them (stealth is most effective) they have really, really strong gear for where you are at that point.

Yeah, those guys are from a mid-game quest. Killing them early didn't hurt my game. YMMV :shrug:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Nice :) I was replaying this along with my wife and to avoid the looters on our way to Skalitz (after fighting the first one) we abandoned the main road, getting straight into the complex were those dudes were. As soon as I spotted metal armor and weapons I turned tail and ran, as there's like 5 of them and Henry is a real babby at that point in the game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Changes I'd make to the combat system if I were a person who wrote mods:

1) higher skill buying you more bullet time rather than just letting you power through everything

2) when wielding a bow at close range, enemy AI should just repeatedly stab at you like a human cuisinart, why are they waiting to strike, it's not like they can parry a drat arrow

3) rebalance stats so they give diminishing returns from 10-20 with new 20 being about equal performance-wise to current 15

4) I need a way to macro combos, I have apparently never executed a single combo

5) Given how powerful it is, poison should wash off your weapon in a matter of minutes not a matter of days

6) either add the bow reticle in or adjust henry's arm position so that "natural" sighting is more possible, because it's really awkward without console commanding in the reticle, but tune down bow damage a bit because, drat

Right now there's virtually no problem in the game that can't be solved by a high-stat henry with a good bow and poisoned "better piercing" arrows. I slaughtered the whole drat Nest of Vipers singlehanded by just standing at the top of a one-man-wide staircase and feeding everyone who came up the stair bane-poisoned eye arrows. I guess there were other solutions (wear cuman armor? Sneak in?) but . . why

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

a high-stat henry

I thought the solution was a Guillotine :killing: fakeedit: of course it's not possible in KC:D as the guillotine was not invented yet!

Anyway, I agree that they should fix melee bow...maybe adding some artificial cone of fire / sway if you have a melee armed enemy nearby? Or yeah, some kind of clinch that's very disadvantageous for someone armed with a bow.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If I were to fix combat in this game it would be by adding the pollaxe, the ultimate knightly and indeed martial arts weapon ever conceived.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Buschmaki posted:

If I were to fix combat in this game it would be by adding the pollaxe, the ultimate knightly and indeed martial arts weapon ever conceived.

I think i've seen one? You just can't carry the drat things around

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
Only played a little bit of this game so far but its beautiful. 1440p on high quality and im just walking around looking at all the grass and trees and poo poo lol

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Oh another suggested mod change:

let Father Godwin be a Drinking trainer

sd6 posted:

Only played a little bit of this game so far but its beautiful. 1440p on high quality and im just walking around looking at all the grass and trees and poo poo lol

Tweak the graphics settings a bit as per the above posts or the config section of my guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1305878776

and the game can REALLY pop. Turning up lighting and textures to "very high" especially and the game gets very, very pretty.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

I think i've seen one? You just can't carry the drat things around

I think they have loads of polearms except for the pollaxe, which in my mind is absolutely criminal

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alchenar posted:

There's something wonderful about this hobby that for all the risk-adverse major publishers putting out massive AAA budget games on really timid iterations of tried and tested formulas, an indy dev from some startup in Eastern Europe can show up with something janky and bug-filled like PUGB or KCD and not only will people but it but they will buy it more than any other game on sale because you are willing to go out and offer something that people haven't played before.

Which only makes it worse that there are actual headlines saying this game is only selling well because it's a white male power fantasy that only redpill poo poo-heads are buying which does not seem to be to be the case at all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

precision posted:

Which only makes it worse that there are actual headlines saying this game is only selling well because it's a white male power fantasy that only redpill poo poo-heads are buying which does not seem to be to be the case at all.

The media narrative seems to be getting more nuanced as people spend more time actually playing the game.

This is the article currently blowing up my google trends:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/03/05/kingdom-come-deliverance-historical-accuracy/

And I don't necessarily agree with a lot of that article but these quotes at least are spot on:

quote:

Attempting to create a historically accurate game set in the Middle Ages necessitates wading through a mire of biases that has been accumulating over the span of centuries. Once that’s done, any creator is going to add their personal preconceptions to the mix, whether intentionally or not. . .. .

The dream of an objective, accurate recreation of the past will always be a fool’s errand, and in pursuing it, Warhorse have created another fantasy game. One without dragons, but a fantasy nonetheless.

Somewhat surprisingly, one of the consequences of Viddygames being treated seriously and subjected to serious criticism and analysis is that a historical-setting videogame is getting subjected to historical criticism, which is probably fair.

Of course, the counter to that article is that this game is historical fiction, not history. Nobody expects Outlander to be nuanced, just fun and "realistic," and that's the same kind of thing Warhorse is aiming for.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

The media narrative seems to be getting more nuanced as people spend more time actually playing the game.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/03/05/kingdom-come-deliverance-historical-accuracy/

quote:

there are no rebellious women, no revolutionaries, no religious sceptics on the one hand, no religious fanatics on the other, no representatives of other cultures apart from murderous Cumans
Doesn't look like they played this game, because literally all of those are present

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Whats a good way to boost strength? I found a sweet warhammer under a tree somewhere on the way to uzhitz but it needs 10 strength

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Pyromancer posted:

Doesn't look like they played this game, because literally all of those are present

Yeah that's the problem with most of these hot take articles -- they'll start with a good point but who has time to play a 300 hour game while on article deadline, why would getting the details right matter

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

A MIRACLE posted:

Whats a good way to boost strength? I found a sweet warhammer under a tree somewhere on the way to uzhitz but it needs 10 strength

Practice with Bernard in Rattay OR rear naked choke out a plot central unkillable NPC and then prop their body up somewhere and punch them repeatedly in the head

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Combos are really easy. Place your direction to whatever the direction it needs to start the combo then hit slash slash and stab in a rhythm. No, you don’t need to press any directions during the combo. Gonna post this like three more times probably.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Practice with Bernard in Rattay OR rear naked choke out a plot central unkillable NPC and then prop their body up somewhere and punch them repeatedly in the head

Lol I think I’ll practice with Bernard. Not trying to powergame this playthrough just enjoying a new somewhat unique single player rpg experience for the first time since morrowind

I am powergaming my friend and I’s coop playthrough of divinity 2 on tactical mode, that game actively encourages you to break it

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Buglord
did anyone else change the audio language to german because the english VA's sound so goofy? I have to keep subtitles on because I dont know german but it seems more immersive.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

KyloWinter posted:

Combos are really easy. Place your direction to whatever the direction it needs to start the combo then hit slash slash and stab in a rhythm. No, you don’t need to press any directions during the combo. Gonna post this like three more times probably.

You don't have to recenter the thingy so you're on the "dot"?

I wonder if maybe the Noble Sword is miscoded or something. I been slash stab stabbing a bunch but my player stats shows zero combos executed.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I have no problems with it. Take your longsword. Highlight the left of the star. Hit slash. Hit slash. Hit stab. You have now done a combo if they haven’t perfect blocked or dodged you.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

buglord posted:

did anyone else change the audio language to german because the english VA's sound so goofy? I have to keep subtitles on because I dont know german but it seems more immersive.

I haven't minded the English VA but is German the original VA? Sometimes that can be better. I play the witcher in polish for those reasons

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Everyone is just complaining about the euro centric nature of this piece of interactive historical fiction set in Europe. I would rather people were calling for similar treatments set in other places.

I would love to see similarly grounded and detailed historical RPGs set in Feudal Japan, or in The Three Kingdoms. Conqestedors in South America or the Reconquesta in Spain. But as a white person with a Eurocentric historical education, I am not the best person to pick or create these things, but god drat I want to play them.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I would play a game about a settler fending off cannibalistic savages on their native islands I suppose

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think what KC:D does really well is the towns and rural country side feel very authentic. The forests in this game are probably the best of any video game. It all seems genuinely believable when walking through a small town, the layout and architecture feels right.

I'm by no means any sort of expert on medieval Bohemia, but it seems incredibly well crafted.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

^^^^ they've used satellite pictures of towns and the countryside to create the game. Someone posted a video of a czech couple visiting real life Rattay and it's evident they've built the game version from that. It was super nice, can't find it though.

KyloWinter posted:

I have no problems with it. Take your longsword. Highlight the left of the star. Hit slash. Hit slash. Hit stab. You have now done a combo if they haven’t perfect blocked or dodged you.

The real issues with combos is that perfect blocks and masterstrokes both cancel them and the chaff dies to 1-2 normal longsword hits anyway, so it's difficult to pull them off consistently against the opponents you would need them most, unless you severely overclass them.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 6, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Popete posted:

I think what KC:D does really well is the towns and rural country side feel very authentic. The forests in this game are probably the best of any video game. It all seems genuinely believable when walking through a small town, the layout and architecture feels right.

I'm by no means any sort of expert on medieval Bohemia, but it seems incredibly well crafted.

I suspect this is because that area of Bohemia hasn't gotten much development in the past 600 years so they could figure out exactly where everything was and it's just accurate. Similarly the topography is all accurate because it's satellite derived.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I hope there's an expansion/sequel where you go to Prague. It's like a storybook pastel city IRL and I'd love to see a recreation of medieval prague.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I hope there's a sequel where you go to Prague.

Yeah I just got to Sasau in game and it felt cool like I was in "the big city" even though compared to other RPGs it's still a small village. Prague would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I hope there's an expansion/sequel where you go to Prague. It's like a storybook pastel city IRL and I'd love to see a recreation of medieval prague.

https://magisterrex.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/darklandsmap.jpg