Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peanut
Sep 9, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

the fuckin worst part is that a wind storm knocks over the rocket

The author addressed this in an interview with National Geographic and he said Lol yeah that's not accurate but I needed to strand the dude in the science-based fiction story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Also you're wrong, op.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
imagine taking creative license to build up a dramatic scenario in your nasa autist stem book, just imagine it

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

could have used an earthquake, a landslide, a mechanical failure, SABOTAGE BY MARTIANS or any number of more plausible scenarios to get the plot rolling than something we know to be factually impossible

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

hey mr mars expert mars can't have earthquakes you DUNCE, u fukkin RUBE

also it's p sure it's geologically dormant so no marsquakes either. martian sabotage woulda been dope tho

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Woden posted:

I liked the bit where Dong Lover was explaining basic orbital dynamics by running around the room with imaginary ships and all the NASA nerds had to pretend he was super smart.

Yeah it's this. Right up there any time a movie has to explain 'worm hole' and bust out the folded paper and pencil to punch a hole through it just unnnggghhhhhhh

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

mcconaughey can bust a hole in my paper any day

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtyySlBW6kk
Event Horizon is like ten times better than both Interstellar and The Martian.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

It was okay. One ofthose rare cases where the movie adaptation is better than the book, which was weak and annoying. It read too much like the author masturbating himself in our faces about how many science facts he knows.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

the whole book was like "hi im bobby scienceboy i like to jerk off about mars, Maaaaaaaars!!!! Nasaaaaaa! Sciiiiiiiience! Potatoes on maaaaars! Did you know fact about potatoes growing in pooooooop? Here's some faaaaaacts! You know rockets? here's some facts about rockets!!! bloo bloo bloo"

bitch where the loving aliens at

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Saw the intense dust storm in promos and noped the f out of that stupid poo poo.

Get bent The Martian.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

bradzilla posted:

I learned that you can grow potatoes in your poo poo.

Ha ,gross-

bradzilla posted:

Pootatoes, if you will :grin:

:eyepop:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

numberoneposter posted:

Plus it has Jason Patric getting merced, like, brutally

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nah

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Event Horizon is the superior movie. Another one: Sunshine.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Also I read Artemis and it made me hate the written word.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed the battle between the transnats and the Martian settlers.

yoyodyne
May 7, 2007
I thought the book and movie were pretty good. Not amazing, but worth the time spent on about 4 or so flights. It sucks to hear that Artemis is pretty bad, though.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
drat i learned something about martian wind today

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i actually learned that you can't grow stuff in sterile dirt from the book which i found interesting. maybe i should have known that from like school or whatever but yeah, germs man. we owe em everything

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Inept posted:

sean bean

No i meant this lady, Mackenzie Davis

I yougoogled it

Please dont make fun of her eyebrows

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I liked it, it would make for a fun minecraft scenario

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I didn’t like the book.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Woden posted:

Dong Lover

???????!!!!!!

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The Martian book's tagline should have been "Deux ex machina, no worries m8" for how Mr. Mathman saved the day every single time with a little bit of autism. It got so boring after a while that I am surprised I finished the book at all.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was so bored last week I went and saw The Post by myself like a weiner and it was so boring and bad

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Event Horizon is the superior movie. Another one: Sunshine.

Agreed. Event Horizon got shat on for ages when it was released people saying it was terrible when it fact it ruled hard and still does.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The worst part was when they were texting each other or whatever. You'd see the words being typed while matt damon narrates it in his head, then you see it on the receiving person's screen and then they read it out loud so the jokes were triple shoehorned in and was really annoying.

Most of the movie was like someone watched neil degrasse tyson jerk himself off over the universe and thought that's what scientists actually talk/act like. The fact that it led to a huge uptick in people using "science" as a verb at work was also really annoying.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
actually the martian was a decent movie

maybe not the greatest movie ever but definitely worth watching, unlike most movies which are actually bad

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The Martian felt like it had a fixed runtime it had to meet, and when it became clear it would be too short (and better), they threw in stuff like "guys can we have a stupid cartoon-like accident blow up his house or something?" and "this ascent sequence is way too short, let's add a stupid problem at every stage and also finally have him take off his space pants and fart himself over the last stretch".

Also Sunshine started out good, but then suddenly turned into a slasher movie for no reason, which was stupid, unlike in Event Horizon, as that movie was spooky at every point.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
It was like three hours of watching Damon eat, some China pandering and :science:

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Booger Presley posted:

It was like three hours of watching Damon eat, some China pandering and :science:

lol have you seen "The Great Wall" yet? They must really have a thing for Matt Damon in China.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I liked the exceptional dialogue. Such as, "I have to science the poo poo out of this!"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

numberoneposter posted:

gently caress yes

Where we're going, you don't need poo poo to potato.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 6, 2018

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Ardemia posted:

I thought it was okay, it probably could have done with a 30 minute shorter run time. It reminds me a lot of Interstellar for some reason.

Me too. Interstellar was way better, though, even though I am not a jaded enough goon to dislike the Martian. Also it has two of the same stars and is a space movie and poor Matt Damon gets abandoned in space in both of them so no wonder it reminds you of Interstellar.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Why are you dorks comparing Event Horizon to The Martian lol

One is a movie about a guy stranded on Mars trying to get home while the other is a movie about people finding a portal to hell and going nuts with Sam Neil going full hellraizer

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The comparison is apt. They're both based on Real Science and are likely to come true sometime in the near future.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i didnt think it was a bad movie but it wasnt great and it definitely didnt seem as "realistic" as a lot of people were saying given that ridiculous scene where dude flies through space and is caught by a spaceship

mostly though it was just kind of boring

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

The Martian was a bad book.

for exactly the same reasons OP says the martian was a bad movie

The pacing of the book was really (forgive the technical term) hosed up. Like it definitely had a movie sort of layout but the author also had this compulsion to just do the: present new set piece -> introduce problem -> protagonists cleverly finds a solution.
Normally you do that a few times and then have the character have a sort of arc within that threshold but he skipped the character arc. It was more like a really flat kind of videogame and the movie very wisely started to chop those instances out towards the last third of the film to let character moments start to occur rather than "oh no now my space car is stuck on some rocks, I am sure dead this time" (add 15 page explanation of how he cleverly gets out of that trouble.)

Like I don't want to knock it for being badly written because I think the writing was fine but the structuring read like he didn't have a broad outline for it and no one asked him to rework it for pacing/repetition in the end for fear of having to publish a sub-300 page novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the book definitely read like it was written by a programmer with two engineers as parents, and I honestly have no idea how it got so popular so fast. I mean I loved it, but I’m a space nerd/engineer who builds rockets so I’m kind of the target audience. but i don’t understand how normies even got through all the science speak and poo poo to enjoy the story

movie was decent because I don’t expect movies to adhere exactly to the book or anything and it was just a fun time

and yeah lol at the fuckin wind storm blowing the rocket over

• Locked thread