Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Panfilo posted:

Because teenagers would be kicking them over to get at their soft pizza innards.

But why not electrify them or install self defense tasers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

suck my woke dick posted:

But why not electrify them or install self defense tasers...

Because they'd keep zapping local skunks into blasting rear end all over the neighborhood.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Panfilo posted:

Because teenagers would be kicking them over to get at their soft pizza innards.

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Oh wait ...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

VideoGameVet posted:

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

The only thing those are a threat to are clumsy toddlers and their litigious parents.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

What am I supposed to be seeing here... oh, an arrow! I'll follow that with my eyes... slowly... slowly... and.... ah! There it is - a robot in water!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

This was a solved problem in the late 80s, how did they manage to gently caress that up today :psyduck:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

suck my woke dick posted:

This was a solved problem in the late 80s, how did they manage to gently caress that up today :psyduck:

Knightscope is....special.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Help Im Alive posted:

Metal Gears should be delivering pizza IMO

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Help Im Alive posted:

Metal Gears should be delivering pizza IMO

via stealth equipped railgun

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

mastershakeman posted:

via stealth equipped railgun

Would watch that anime tbh.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

T-man posted:

Would watch that anime tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXiJYcK4-GU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The autonomous pizza delivery vehicle is flipped over, but youre not helping. Why arent you helping?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Pizza in the morning,
pizza in the evening,
pizza at suppertime.
When you've got stealthy railgun pizza
You can eat pizza anytime.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Open the pizza bay doors, HAL
HAL, open the pizza bay doors
the pizza is delicious, Dave

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Barudak posted:

The autonomous pizza delivery vehicle is flipped over, but youre not helping. Why arent you helping?

Nice reference.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

<terminator frantically searching through the phonebook for Sarah Connors adress so he can deliver her pizza before it gets cold>

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

quote:

The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory. He's got esprit up to here. Right now, he is preparing to carry out his third mission of the night. His uniform is black as activated charcoal, filtering the very light out of the air. A bullet will bounce off its arachnofiber weave like a wren hitting a patio door, but excess perspiration wafts through it like a breeze through a freshly napalmed forest. Where his body has bony extremities, the suit has sintered armorgel: feels like gritty jello, protects like a stack of telephone books.

When they gave him the job, they gave him a gun. The Deliverator never deals in cash, but someone might come after him anyway-might want his car, or his cargo. The gun is tiny, aero-styled, lightweight, the kind of a gun a fashion designer would carry; it fires teensy darts that fly at five times the velocity of an SR-71 spy plane, and when you get done using it, you have to plug it into the cigarette lighter, because it runs on electricity.

The Deliverator never pulled that gun in anger, or in fear. He pulled it once in Gila Highlands. Some punks in Gila Highlands, a fancy Burbclave, wanted themselves a delivery, and they didn't want to pay for it. Thought they would impress the Deliverator with a baseball bat. The Deliverator took out his gun, centered its laser doohickey on that poised Louisville Slugger, fired it. The recoil was immense, as though the weapon had blown up in his hand. The middle third of the baseball bat turned into a column of burning sawdust accelerating in all directions like a bursting star. Punk ended up holding this bat handle with milky smoke pouring out the end. Stupid look on his face. Didn't get nothing but trouble from the Deliverator.

Since then the Deliverator has kept the gun in the glove compartment and relied, instead, on a matched set of samurai swords, which have always been his weapon of choice anyhow. The punks in Gila Highlands weren't afraid of the gun, so the Deliverator was forced to use it. But swords need no demonstrations.

The Deliverator's car has enough potential energy packed into its batteries to fire a pound of bacon into the asteroid Belt. Unlike a bimbo box or a Burb beater, the Deliverator's car unloads that power through gaping, gleaming, polished sphincters. When the Deiverator puts the hammer down, poo poo happens. You want to talk contact patches? Your car's tires have tiny contact patches, talk to the thee asphalt in four places the size of your tongue. The De liverator's erator's car has big sticky tires with contact patches the size of a fat lady's thighs. The Deliverator is in touch with the road, starts like a bad day, stops on a peseta.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Barudak posted:

<terminator frantically searching through the phonebook for Sarah Connors adress so he can deliver her pizza before it gets cold>

please stop doxxing my erotic fanfiction

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Snow Crash was ridiculous. Great fun when I was 14 though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.avclub.com/amazon-is-making-a-snow-crash-tv-show-1818979922

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

MoviePass CEO proudly says the app tracks your location before and after movies

quote:

Lowe was giving the keynote at the Entertainment Finance Forum; his talk was entitled “Data is the New Oil: How will MoviePass Monetize It?” Media Play News first reported his remarks.

“We get an enormous amount of information,” Lowe continued. “We watch how you drive from home to the movies. We watch where you go afterwards.”

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Doggles posted:

quote:

Data is the New Oil

Data is the new nuclear waste: moderately dangerous, could be easily contained to an adequate degree of safety, but because of regulatory failure and everyone involved trying to pass the buck it's a political shitshow except in glorious Sweden.

e: come to think of it, it's way worse, forever interim nuclear waste storage usually isn't a big problem but lovely databases actually create worldwide leaks all the time.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

a foolish pianist posted:

Domino's is expanding it's autonomous vehicle pizza delivery beyond Ann Arbor now:

http://www.mlive.com/business/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2018/03/dominos_pizza_expanding_self-d.html

I know this thread thinks autonomous vehicles are somewhere between 50 years off and completely impossible, but they've been working pretty well in test environments. Like the article says, autonomous pizza delivery has been working in Ann Arbor for a while already.

quote:

The vehicle is occupied by a Ford safety engineer

Ah...

Edit: Also, it's only made 70 deliveries so I'm not sure I'd call that "a while". It's good way for Ford to get data without having to pay 100% tho.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

"Crypto" means cryptography, and this is a hill I will die on.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Snow Crash was ridiculous. Great fun when I was 14 though.

Still great at 28 the book is wonderful

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

uggy posted:

Still great at 28 the book is wonderful

Not so much. http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2015/12/22/045-snow-crash/

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's weird to see you specifically trying to counter something as a techno fantasy stunt with some claim they would be better off doing something like 500x more fantastical.

It's weird to see you act like you're capable of rational thought and here we are

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

better than my "cyber" means cybersex and not cyberwarfare.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I will defend this hill with you. The only acceptable abbreviation for craptocurrency is "crapto".

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
oocc do the school districts you work for know about your stance re trying to getpics out of kids

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Uber has invented trains.

https://beta.techcrunch.com/2018/03/06/uber-self-driving-trucks-are-now-moving-cargo-for-uber-freight-customers/

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Posted it in the automation thread, but GA is building a highway just for trucks and automated trucks

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I mean, I get what you're saying, but also not really.

quote:

How it works is that Uber will load up the freight on a conventional, human driven truck who collects the load from the shipper and then does a short haul run to a transfer hub. The short haul truck then loads its cargo onto a long-haul freight transport, which is autonomous for the purposes of these trips. That self-driving test truck handles the highway driving for the longer portion of the trip, handing it off once again to a human-driven trip for the short haul cap to the overall journey.

It's not a train just because you have something like drayage going on. You've still got individual trucks transporting goods over regular highways. It's not like regular shipping always involves a single, human driven truck going from origin to final destination.

Edit- Coincidentally, long haul trucking is actually a job we should want to see automated. It sucks and no one really wants to do it.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 7, 2018

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Edit- Coincidentally, long haul trucking is actually a job we should want to see automated. It sucks and no one really wants to do it.

It would suck less if the wages had kept up with inflation:

"truckers wages averaged $38,618 annually in 1980. If adjusted to 2015 dollars, that would be over $111,000 a year"

https://www.overdriveonline.com/trucker-pay-has-plummeted-in-the-last-30-years-analyst-stays/

Gee, what changed in 1980? Could it be UNIONS?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Uber Freight handles the load sourcing, just as it dos for connecting shippers with regular human truckers. Uber’s Advanced Technology Group is simply deploying its self-driving trucks on the Uber Freight platform, in the same way that the autonomous team within Uber is using the Uber ride-hailing network to test and deploy its self-driving ride share vehicles.

Uber has a video depicting this journey, which took place staring in then midwest and then via short haul to Sanders, Arizona, where it was loaded onto an autonomous truck and then transferred to Topock, Arizona, where it made the switch to another human-driven vehicle.

This is a big step towards commercialization of Uber’s autonomous truck tech, and it seems like it puts it ahead of some competitors who want to do similar things, including Embark trucking. It’s also the first we’ve heard about Uber’s self-driving truck business in a little while, so it’s good to see Uber’s continuing to make progress and devote attention to this issue.

p good for an article about automation replacing humans...

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Paradoxish posted:

I mean, I get what you're saying, but also not really.

It's not a train just because you have something like drayage going on. You've still got individual trucks transporting goods over regular highways. It's not like regular shipping always involves a single, human driven truck going from origin to final destination.

I mean that for shipping via train you generally have a container that is filled, connected to a tractor unit which take it to a rail yard where the container is put on a container car at which point it is transported directly from railyard A to railyard B where it is put on another tractor unit and driven to a warehouses.

For this Uber Freight service it's essentially the same thing except the train is replaced with an automated tractor. So lower throughput, presumably for less major routes. I don't know how the costs compare, presumably rail is better for high mass regular shipments between major railyards whereas the automated truck service would be better for intermittent, lower volume, lower weight, on less major routes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Arsenic Lupin posted:

gives a somewhat different meaning to crypto-Catholics

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

oocc do the school districts you work for know about your stance re trying to getpics out of kids

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Working in education is exactly why I know filters are not a magic wand and involve a lot of issues and often fail to control the behavior they are sold as controlling. Not whatever hosed up thing you are trying to say here.

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's referencing the stanford marshmallow experiment. That "you can have one candy now, or a bunch of candy in little while" thing where before a certain age every kid takes the bad deal and most people eventually grow up and take the better deal.

Kids that grow up in stable and predictable environments learn to pre-plan early, people that grow up in unstable unpredictable environments (extreme poverty) don't learn to plan as young or as well. White kids tend to score high on it because they on average have the most stable environments provided for them. Racists make this into "whites are best" idea where it's inherent and not just another subtle privilege being white gets you.

The main thing that libertarians totally ignore in this situation is what being in a survival mentality does to you psychologically. People living in god awful poverty where it's a struggle to accomplish "lights on, rent paid, food in the kitchen" consistently every month completely lose the ability to plan long term. Struggling day by day just to keep yourself fed makes surviving your full time job and you end up spending all your brain power on it. Who the gently caress cares what I might have in a decade if I invest $25,000 in the stock market? I make way less than that in a year and I'm hungry now. How can I think about starting college in nine months if I'm $200 short on rent and am at risk of being evicted again? How can I think about saving when hours just got cut again and I'm already on a razor thin budget? People born into that kind of life regardless of race end up developing different ways of thinking than those that grow up in comfort. It's hard to excel in school if you're going hungry sometimes, have to worry about your block getting shot up, or you have to work the day you become old enough out of necessity. Hell sometimes people end up doing things for cash long before that. Even if a person in this kind of situation learns how to plan long-term they may not have the resources for it. Enough time in crushing poverty and they'll never be able to apply those skills because of how you end up thinking in that situation.