Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Sloober posted:

Eh, the ring is pretty well priced at 110k for 100 tiles imo, and in smaller bursts of 20k to get there vs the 5 stages of 50k from the sphere. I'm making something like 900m/month now and none of it is hard, but that just means i'm past the point of caring about what i get out of it. Like in theory i like megastructures a lot, it's a fun concept, but it's basically just dickwaving due to the costs involved. Which is OK if i guess that's what they want them to be.

I think ascension perks badly need some kind of passover on them though.

Exactly, I could go back into the game I won and build all the megastructures, but I won that game. The Galaxy lost. The Glorious Alliance controls the galaxy. Building a Dyson sphere won't help me get energy because I don't need energy. A science Nexus won't help me with my research because my empire is 30,000 science points ahead of anyone else in the Galaxy.

"And then the space dragons did some cool poo poo because they were better than everyone else the end."

Ascension perks should not be the equivalent of a line of text in the epilogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Really what the game needs is the ability to ascend a winning species to FE status for the next game. AI controlled but reflects what you did. If you Ended the Cycle they need to be fanatically opposed to Psychics.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Ringworlds cost much less influence per tile than habitats, so they seem alright cost-wise. But they take so long to build that I doubt they're worth the ascension slot.

Magil Zeal posted:

I didn't apply the 2.0.2 patch partway through the game, I started with it, but it was still very strange. There was no Great Khan at all in my game. He just never showed up, no message, nothing. Then we reached 2430 or so and two FEs woke up, and I thought we were about to have a War in Heaven, but then instead the federation that formed in response to my massive threat went and dunked on the Xenophobe FE, reducing it to a rump state. I was extremely bored at this point so I conquered the Xenophile FE myself, along with the still-fallen Materialist FE (I'd long ago conquered the Spiritualist FE because they got pissy that one of my vassals colonized a holy world, and I think this is what triggered the awakening in the first place). Either way, the War in Heaven never happened and all four normal FEs are gone now. The Machine one is still around fighting the Contingency.

The Great Khan showing up has a 100 mtth if there is one marauder empire, 150 if two, and 200 if all three. The khan can't show up once the endgame begins, so with one marauder in the game it should be about a 50% chance with default sliders. I don't remember how mtth works, so I'll just assume that the odds of one happening are about the same regardless of number of marauders.

I've never seen the war in heaven, but looking at the wiki (and assuming 2.0 didn't change anything) after the second FE has woken up there should be a 50% chance of the war happening every 18 days. That's assuming the second awakening was WiH related though, did the xenophile awaken as a guardian to fight the crisis? The war in heaven apparently has a 45% chance of happening if all 4 standard FEs are in the game, with the chance being rolled when the normal awakening happens.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Staltran posted:

The Great Khan showing up has a 100 mtth if there is one marauder empire, 150 if two, and 200 if all three. The khan can't show up once the endgame begins, so with one marauder in the game it should be about a 50% chance with default sliders. I don't remember how mtth works, so I'll just assume that the odds of one happening are about the same regardless of number of marauders.

I've never seen the war in heaven, but looking at the wiki (and assuming 2.0 didn't change anything) after the second FE has woken up there should be a 50% chance of the war happening every 18 days. That's assuming the second awakening was WiH related though, did the xenophile awaken as a guardian to fight the crisis? The war in heaven apparently has a 45% chance of happening if all 4 standard FEs are in the game, with the chance being rolled when the normal awakening happens.

Nah, the Xenophobe and Xenophile FEs awoke and rivaled each other, they were clearly prepping for the war in heaven based on my prior experiences with it. The Xenophiles were already gone before the Ghost Signal even appeared. I wonder if the Federation declaring war on the Xenophobe FE might have broken/pre-empted the War in Heaven somehow?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Relevant Tangent posted:

Really what the game needs is the ability to ascend a winning species to FE status for the next game. AI controlled but reflects what you did. If you Ended the Cycle they need to be fanatically opposed to Psychics.

I would love a New Game+ using the same galaxy as before, with my Determined Exterminators slumbering around.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
The new Divine Sovereign event either doesn't work as advertised, or it just doesn't play nicely with permanent civics like Fanatic Purifier.

Before:

Note that it says my civics will be altered:

After, and I still have the same civics:

But it did reduce my Fanatic Xenophobe ethic to regular Xenophobe, and added Authoritarian, so my Fanatic Purifier civic was deactivated:

Thankfully I took a save beforehand. I didn't actually want to make the change, but I was curious to see what would happen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's so awesome having a glimpse of what the game should play like when all is working well, and it makes me want more.

The Khan rose, they started to blob hard in every direction. Some nations gave up and became vassals right away, others needed half their or more lost before they did, and a few others were wiped off the map. I was not adjacent, but close enough to be worried as they were on the frontier I was expanding into. Was overconfident with my 15k fleet when everyone else had about 5k. Did some hit and run attacks against the Khan's various 3-5k fleets but then a 20k doom stack showed up and I ran off. I wasted so many resources and influence trying to claim pretty borders and build up powerful starbases, but this super fleet smashed them all before construction could finish. Had to abandon my entire frontier and contract back to my 3-system core of 3 planets.

Putting everything into defense platforms and upgrades to my starbase chokepoint I managed to buff it up to about 5,000, but my combined fleet was about 10k at this point after heavy losses and a lack of minerals. Could this station and well designed ships fight off a 20k fleet aided by seemingly limitless 3k swarms?

The great fleet came right up to the system next to the great last-ditch fortress world, and then I got a pop-up saying the Khan was killed by a concubine. The fleet changed directions, and a month later the once great hoard had fractured into 3 "civilized" empires with proper planets, and a few random rump Khanates of only stations. The map has totally changed, there's 3 large new countries but they are about on-par with all the other empires on the map.

This mid-game threat, when it works, is really fun. Raiding needs work, paying them to raid others I've never seen work once, but the whole rise and fall of the great Khan is amazing and exactly the sort of thing that makes Stellaris more than waiting to collect mana to watch a bar slowly tick up.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

That would be a really neat thing. Same thing if the AI won.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

It struck me that Ascension picks should each have a pool of cool random events tied to them. Like how in EUIV taking financial can trigger inflation reduction events and such.

They could also unlock unique anomalies or new choices for existing ones.

Second, I like this idea and the lumping some of the basic ones together. Definitely help to give more flavor and weight to some of the choices.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

My most recent game was a heavy unity faction and I was excited that I would get to try out a bunch of of the Idea sets and the Ascension perks. Then I saw what most of them were and :flaccid:.

Some were neat, like going Psionic because I was spiritualist, but two Ascension perks to go full Psionic seemed a bit much even though the "all of my pops are psionic now" was neat, but ineffective because I was Xenophile and had tons of leaders popping up that were not my species, and I couldnt find out what the "Assimilation" standing for races meant or does beyond its brief description.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

axeil posted:

That would be a really neat thing. Same thing if the AI won.

I'm not sure how well it could work for stellaris without massive changes, but I'd love a sort of "dwarf fortress in space" game one day. Not the asci graphics, but the general idea that you have a continuous world you're playing every game in. If anyone isn't familiar, in DF you generate a world and it makes a huge detailed procedurally generated fantasy world. You pick a site and your dwarves head off to build a little settlement. The game can be brutal and it's quite easy to lose by having all your dwarves die, go insane, or just become such an untenable situation that you choose to abandon the fort. But now the next time you play, that previous attempt is still on the map as a ruin and can be explored in "adventure mode" (where you play as just a single adventurer" or you can even attempt to re-claim old failed forts. As time goes on there's chances that AI forces might move in, bandits, goblins, vampires, you name it might take up residence. Everything you do in the game, win or fail, leaves a mark on the world. That huge powerful fortress you built that dug too deep and unleashed demons? Yeah, that's going to be a horrible demon-infested dungeon now.

A space empire building game built around mechanics like that could be super fun. Wouldn't work so well with the design of stellaris, would need to have been made from the ground-up with the idea of empires rising and falling, with an emphasis on the falling.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Some were neat, like going Psionic because I was spiritualist, but two Ascension perks to go full Psionic seemed a bit much even though the "all of my pops are psionic now" was neat, but ineffective because I was Xenophile and had tons of leaders popping up that were not my species, and I couldnt find out what the "Assimilation" standing for races meant or does beyond its brief description.

Assimilation if you're cyborg/synthetic changes the pops to your primary race. I have no idea what it does for psionics, I was scared to try it because I didn't want to lose the traits I had built up on the other species in my empire. But I might after I finish the game just to see what it does.

But going by the description, I imagine even if you're psionic, it will change all affected pops to match your primary species. Also, it seems you can't psionically assimilate cyborgs.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 6, 2018

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
A Dyson Sphere is an incremental investment though - and theres been a few games where the energy it provides has essentially been the only thing keeping me in the positive for whatever reason.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
why am I getting a 'there is no route to the selected system' error when there is for sure a lane leading from the system I'm in to the neighboring one? Its an enemy system and we're at war and I can't drop my fleet in because of this so that is annoying.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

why am I getting a 'there is no route to the selected system' error when there is for sure a lane leading from the system I'm in to the neighboring one? Its an enemy system and we're at war and I can't drop my fleet in because of this so that is annoying.

The system you are in has an ftl inhibitor, on the starbase or on a planet.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Doorknob Slobber posted:

FTL inhibitor? Fleet is some how set to evasive?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Eltoasto posted:

The system you are in has an ftl inhibitor, on the starbase or on a planet.

Ok that must be it, even though I captured the station it still prevents it?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Ok that must be it, even though I captured the station it still prevents it?

Is there an unconquered planet?
Also 2.X is still pretty buggy, I've run into a lot of weirdness around inhibitors. It took a couple patches when EU4 got forts for them to get the movement/AI perfect too.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Game is much better now. I'm hitting the "what do I do now?" feeling much later than I used to. It's a little hilarious that my fanatically peaceful space elves can now declare war to put a gently caress you bubble around anybody's capital planet, including our saviors of the Galaxy, the xenophobe lizard forerunners. I've glassed maybe ten planets at this point and now there's only one other civ on the other side of the Galaxy that can challenge me. It's a little funky, but war seems to be how all of my end games go. Of course, at this point endgame wars are all busy work, especially with the new fleet caps. This kind of reminds me of civ v, pre surrender patch, before the AI would actually give things up in large scale wars.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Westminster System posted:

A Dyson Sphere is an incremental investment though - and theres been a few games where the energy it provides has essentially been the only thing keeping me in the positive for whatever reason.

For the price of getting the first layer of energy generation you could have built an entire ringworld, which would come with more naval capacity, more starbase capacity, more research, minerals, unity

I get it that it can be 'useful' but i'm not sure the usefulness matches the cost

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Spanish Matlock posted:

Exactly, I could go back into the game I won and build all the megastructures, but I won that game. The Galaxy lost. The Glorious Alliance controls the galaxy. Building a Dyson sphere won't help me get energy because I don't need energy. A science Nexus won't help me with my research because my empire is 30,000 science points ahead of anyone else in the Galaxy.

"And then the space dragons did some cool poo poo because they were better than everyone else the end."

Ascension perks should not be the equivalent of a line of text in the epilogue.

In my last game I got all three megastructures up and there was still a huge, three empire federation opposing me.

Quick tip for building megastructures: Open your sector menu and check their resource levels, if your sectors haven't been building anything lately then they can have some very large stockpiles.

Also while I'm here, a bug report: Apparently you can't crack Tomb Worlds and must terraform them into something else before you can blow them up.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really wish collosi would fire faster. In the time it took me to charge up and get 50% into blowing up a prethoryn planet a fleet ran in under me and bombed it to 100%

The cassus belli is good but I wish the toy itself was remotely practical, between it and megastructures it's like they don't want any of the super equipment to actually have real utility because Balance
Solution: have it benefit from your Fire Rate bonuses.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

Is there an unconquered planet?
Also 2.X is still pretty buggy, I've run into a lot of weirdness around inhibitors. It took a couple patches when EU4 got forts for them to get the movement/AI perfect too.

I closed the game and restarted it and now it is fine. Maybe it just takes a bit for it to flip off or something. Last question, when raiding where do abducted pops go? Just a random open planet?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ephemeron posted:

Solution: have it benefit from your Fire Rate bonuses.

Get in a defensive war, go on offense.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Game is much better now. I'm hitting the "what do I do now?" feeling much later than I used to. It's a little hilarious that my fanatically peaceful space elves can now declare war to put a gently caress you bubble around anybody's capital planet, including our saviors of the Galaxy, the xenophobe lizard forerunners. I've glassed maybe ten planets at this point and now there's only one other civ on the other side of the Galaxy that can challenge me. It's a little funky, but war seems to be how all of my end games go. Of course, at this point endgame wars are all busy work, especially with the new fleet caps. This kind of reminds me of civ v, pre surrender patch, before the AI would actually give things up in large scale wars.
How are you glassing planets if you are fanatically peaceful?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I got wedged in between a hostile shithead empire and friendly guys. There are two paths through the friendly empire to free space so I picked one and started building on the far side of it. Turns out the other path has the friendlies hemmed in by space amoeba, mining drones, void clouds and something called a "stellar devourer" so for once the Parallax gods smiled upon me.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

Soooo another ridiculous situation. After several decades into my newbie game, my democracy goes into several years where the leader would die, a new leader is elected only for them to die and so on because they were all drawn from my leader pool which were around the same advanced age now. This is ridiculous!

Since it will always pull from your active leader pool this game is not terribly good at is simulating democracy in anything resembling an organic way. I do kind of recall a period of releases where it was actually better at it, since it would generate random civilians running for the rulers office; it probably got nixed because it likely broke the chain of having to expend influence to buy new leaders to fill whatever position got vacated.

It'd be kind of neat if you had Democracies behave somewhat more naturally with elections to fill stuff like governor positions as well, but I'm not sure how well that'd actually pan out.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Magil Zeal posted:

Assimilation if you're cyborg/synthetic changes the pops to your primary race.

? I've definitely assimilated other species and just added cyborg without changing them to my primary race.

Magil Zeal posted:

I have no idea what it does for psionics, I was scared to try it because I didn't want to lose the traits I had built up on the other species in my empire.

It slaps the psionic trait on the aliens the same way cyborg assimilation slaps the cyborg trait on.

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017
So this happened:

[Dev Team] 2.0.2 Beta Patch updated [6.3.2018][checksum 5781]
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-team-2-0-2-beta-patch-updated-6-3-2018-checksum-5781.1076103/

What is the deal with steam users bombing the review section? Most of the negative reviews literally sound like they just don't like change or to learn a new system.

I'm loving 2.0

Also anyone saying 1 gia world starts aren't viable is a filthy liar

Grammar-Bolshevik fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 6, 2018

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Baronjutter posted:

Transforming to gaia should not give the "ongoing terraforming" penalty or at least not take so loving long. Once you factor in the cost of the terraforming, the time while suffering -20%, it's going to need a lot of time to pay off that investment.

Agreed. Also I don't generally mind outposts costing energy now but it really sucks if you want to terraform anything ever.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ulmont posted:

? I've definitely assimilated other species and just added cyborg without changing them to my primary race.

It slaps the psionic trait on the aliens the same way cyborg assimilation slaps the cyborg trait on.

Maybe it was just that way for synthetics then. Though I could've sworn I did it for cyborgs with similar results, maybe I was incorrect.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I find the whole "leader" system a bit disappointing. They aren't interesting characters with motivations like in CK2, they're just a set of skill bonuses with a name. I'd rather they just have basic averaged-out empire-wide bonuses representing your leadership class, or a more CK2 style system where sector governors and famous fleet admirals might get their own agendas sometimes.

Picking the right admiral for the fleet can be interesting, constantly having to replace science ship captains, head researchers, and sector governors because they got elected president or died is just a fussy clicky chore. But I never remember who anyone is, the various random leader names and portraits do not at all factor into my memory of the evolving narrative of a stellaris game.

I think there's just too many of them. If you only ever had maybe 2-5 leaders in a game they could be much more memorable and important. Let science ships just have their own baked-in experience level, get rid of assist research (it's an entirely unfun interface chore. Have a SINGLE head researcher that gives bonuses to various fields depending on their traits, so it's possibly a more interesting choice. Do you hire the science leader who gives +30% engineering speed, or the science leader who gives +10% speed overall? Do you hire the science leader who gives +1 research alternatives, or the one who gives +10% to physics but increases the survey speed of all science ships by 20%? Those are choices. A single core sector governor was already a correct move vs a governor for every single planet.

So you'd just have:
National head of state
Head of Science
Sector and core governors
A few fleet admirals

Because when I play right now i'll generally just have the above, plus like 10 pain in the rear end science leaders all in science ships assisting research to help unity and science.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I kind of like that interpretation, but I think of it from a gameplay perspective. Specifically what ThatBasqueGuy said about "gating all the cool megastructures behind five ascension perks". The whole point of having limited choices is to provide a meaningful consequence that ultimately makes the gameplay more enjoyable. I would argue that the current perk system does that in a relatively uneven fashion. Compare the significant gameplay experience associated with the Transcendence perk with anemic choices like Interstellar Dominion or Technological Ascendancy.

I look at something like Enigmatic Engineering. Right now it's a +2 sensor range bonus and a prohibition on reverse engineering. Imagine instead of it was both of those things, but also made it so that Empires had no way of knowing your technology level, couldn't trade with you, and no way of knowing your fleet strength. Imagine instead if you were the ones in that situation.

Some of the traits I find really useful. The one that increases my fleet cap is great because I'm lazy and hate building loads of messy starbases and interstellar dominion allows me to directly control more planets in a way that other things don't really allow. But +4 starbase cap, 10% research and etc just aren't enough to make them worth it.
Master of Nature is now good in my head because it adds something that nothing else can do and that's what I expect the perks to give.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

I find the whole "leader" system a bit disappointing. They aren't interesting characters with motivations like in CK2, they're just a set of skill bonuses with a name. I'd rather they just have basic averaged-out empire-wide bonuses representing your leadership class, or a more CK2 style system where sector governors and famous fleet admirals might get their own agendas sometimes.

Picking the right admiral for the fleet can be interesting, constantly having to replace science ship captains, head researchers, and sector governors because they got elected president or died is just a fussy clicky chore. But I never remember who anyone is, the various random leader names and portraits do not at all factor into my memory of the evolving narrative of a stellaris game.

I think there's just too many of them. If you only ever had maybe 2-5 leaders in a game they could be much more memorable and important. Let science ships just have their own baked-in experience level, get rid of assist research (it's an entirely unfun interface chore. Have a SINGLE head researcher that gives bonuses to various fields depending on their traits, so it's possibly a more interesting choice. Do you hire the science leader who gives +30% engineering speed, or the science leader who gives +10% speed overall? Do you hire the science leader who gives +1 research alternatives, or the one who gives +10% to physics but increases the survey speed of all science ships by 20%? Those are choices. A single core sector governor was already a correct move vs a governor for every single planet.

So you'd just have:
National head of state
Head of Science
Sector and core governors
A few fleet admirals

Because when I play right now i'll generally just have the above, plus like 10 pain in the rear end science leaders all in science ships assisting research to help unity and science.
What I vehemently and vociferously hate about it is that it is binary. Either you have a leader, or you dont. With each of the things that require (or are better with leaders) in Stellaris (Armies, Navies, governors, heads of state, science ships, and research) what the gently caress is going on if you dont have a leader? Is it a Benny Hill skit going on in the Bridge of your flagship? Paradox the Developer has been doing the same old played-out system since EU1 with leaders and they need to update it to something modern. Leader Pools need to be larger and more diverse. Why isnt it an interesting choice, where the cost of recruiting the leader is a calculation of their age, skill level, and number of and quality of additional talents? Instead we get "One guy who is middle aged and eager to join, one guy who is young and has a useless trait, and an old guy with a useful skill that you dont really need right now though" and it is just so stale. Or why isnt it a system that every leadership position has a pool of many (up to a dozen) randomly generated choices that slowly changes over time (running with the assumption that the pool changes over time as people retire, switch careers, or die instead of the bullcrap we have right now where its the same options forever). These choices would let you pick between an older guy who is talented but will be expensive and also may keel over at any moment, or a guy in the middle of the pack who is less expensive but has some talent to work with, or a green guy who is cheaper to recruit but doesnt have much to work with just yet. Right now I think its dumb that you pay the same regardless of skill or talent level, and the pool you get to pull from is always so small.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

goddamn late game wars are kind of miserable, I just want to vassalise/wipe out these tiny dudes but in order to do it I have to occupy every single planet belonging to their big federation friends on the other side of the galaxy who aren't helping them and don't care, otherwise their occupation warscore thing never goes above like 6% BECAUSE THEY'RE SO TINY

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

What is the deal with steam users bombing the review section? Most of the negative reviews literally sound like they just don't like change or to learn a new system.
The best part is that they then go post on paradox's board "oh no steam reviews are bad, better roll back the patch before it's too late!" like loving lol something tells me Wiz will see through your brilliant plan

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

It's so awesome having a glimpse of what the game should play like when all is working well, and it makes me want more.

The Khan rose, they started to blob hard in every direction. Some nations gave up and became vassals right away, others needed half their or more lost before they did, and a few others were wiped off the map. I was not adjacent, but close enough to be worried as they were on the frontier I was expanding into. Was overconfident with my 15k fleet when everyone else had about 5k. Did some hit and run attacks against the Khan's various 3-5k fleets but then a 20k doom stack showed up and I ran off. I wasted so many resources and influence trying to claim pretty borders and build up powerful starbases, but this super fleet smashed them all before construction could finish. Had to abandon my entire frontier and contract back to my 3-system core of 3 planets.

Putting everything into defense platforms and upgrades to my starbase chokepoint I managed to buff it up to about 5,000, but my combined fleet was about 10k at this point after heavy losses and a lack of minerals. Could this station and well designed ships fight off a 20k fleet aided by seemingly limitless 3k swarms?

The great fleet came right up to the system next to the great last-ditch fortress world, and then I got a pop-up saying the Khan was killed by a concubine. The fleet changed directions, and a month later the once great hoard had fractured into 3 "civilized" empires with proper planets, and a few random rump Khanates of only stations. The map has totally changed, there's 3 large new countries but they are about on-par with all the other empires on the map.

This mid-game threat, when it works, is really fun. Raiding needs work, paying them to raid others I've never seen work once, but the whole rise and fall of the great Khan is amazing and exactly the sort of thing that makes Stellaris more than waiting to collect mana to watch a bar slowly tick up.

That's awesome! In my one game on 2.0 the mongols ran into a fallen empire and got wrecked :( but I hope I one day will get to be space central europe saved from ruin by one dude's drinking problem.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I kind of like that interpretation, but I think of it from a gameplay perspective. Specifically what ThatBasqueGuy said about "gating all the cool megastructures behind five ascension perks". The whole point of having limited choices is to provide a meaningful consequence that ultimately makes the gameplay more enjoyable. I would argue that the current perk system does that in a relatively uneven fashion. Compare the significant gameplay experience associated with the Transcendence perk with anemic choices like Interstellar Dominion or Technological Ascendancy.

I look at something like Enigmatic Engineering. Right now it's a +2 sensor range bonus and a prohibition on reverse engineering. Imagine instead of it was both of those things, but also made it so that Empires had no way of knowing your technology level, couldn't trade with you, and no way of knowing your fleet strength. Imagine instead if you were the ones in that situation.

Or Galactic Contender. Imagine if, instead of a simple bonus against Awakened Empires, it instead gave you access to unique technology that you previously had to reverse engineer. Maybe with a side effect of having your ship style changed into the Awakened style as you discovered more "Awakened" technologies.

Defender of the Galaxy could be similar; rather than a fixed bonus to endgame empires it gave you access to unique technologies or narrative events that you had to research and develop that would serve as a useful tool against whatever endgame crisis pops up. Maybe when The Unbidden show up another external entity shows up to help you, but only because you've dedicated your entire Empire to protecting the galaxy.

Other perks have limited utility because of how the game itself is currently functioning. A perfect example is Synthetic Age; currently there's no reason to take that perk because by the time it's available you've already gamed the system or run out of traits. Perhaps if Synthetic Age eliminated the limit on how many traits you could take it would be far more useful. Or if the traits were re-done so that there were some traits that cost far more points but had massive benefits.

All of this is perfect. Enigmatic Engineering and Nihilistic Acquisition in their current state are, I think, a good step towards what ascension perks should be. But this post right here is what we should be striving towards to make the system great, not merely acceptable or functional. Ascension Perks should all feel transformational, and if you ask me whether I'd like a flat percentage stat boost versus an end game crisis or an event chain predicting which one is going to happen and the ability to research unique techs to help combat them, even if those unique techs only amount to a functionally equivalent damage bonus who cares! The difference in game feel is critical.

Hell maybe give Defender of the Galaxy a relations penalty with the galaxy at large until it happens. Let us be a civilization of Commander Shepards raving about the Reapers.

Ah yes, :turianass: "The Unbidden" :turianass:. We have dismissed those claims.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

goddamn late game wars are kind of miserable, I just want to vassalise/wipe out these tiny dudes but in order to do it I have to occupy every single planet belonging to their big federation friends on the other side of the galaxy who aren't helping them and don't care, otherwise their occupation warscore thing never goes above like 6% BECAUSE THEY'RE SO TINY

What you do is just declare war on the big members of the federation and then claim every single system belonging to the small dudes as a side goal.

Like I had one big rival who was in a federation with two tiny nobodies. I declared war on the big guy with the "subjugation" goal, but also claimed every system belonging to the nobodies (only about ten systems total). As long as you win or status quo the war the small guys will stop existing because you get all their systems.

If the big guys are too far away then oh well I guess just ignore them for now.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shas
Jul 27, 2011

This may be a mod thing causing issues, but has anyone encountered a problem where combat begins but only for one party? A few times now I've been attacking an empire and their ships enter combat with mine, while mine remain flying around, full able to fly out of the system or use jump drives to get away.

Rebooting the game stopped it happening, but I've not been able to reliably re produce it so wondering if it's just my particular combination of stuff