Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

I am.
You agreed not to go inside. Don’t break that promise.
It’s okay. Don’t worry.
I’m sorry for putting you through this. Making you relive unpleasant memories.
But thank you for accompanying me when you have nothing to gain from it...
Don’t worry. I’ll just look around. I’m only searching for a sign he was there.
And when I’m done, we’ll return to the village together.
...All right.
Okay. Now, let’s go.

We push our way through the dark, dense woods... and then, like the world fading into view after a dream, a mansion appears before us.

This is... the beast’s “den”?

It should, by all rights, be a magnificent scene, but the blue sky and jade sea clash with the building. It appears alone, isolated precariously from the rest of the world.

Yes, this is it. This is the mansion where the beast dwells.

Careful not to make any noise, we draw nearer to the house — this inexplicable structure sitting in between the forest and the cliff. The fluttering I feel in my heart... does not seem to be caused only by fear of the beast.

The weeds and plants growing unchecked around the house are tall enough for Javi to hide in. I imagine that’s how he approached the mansion the first time — lurking in the overgrowth.

Say... have the people of the village thought about leaving this area?
Moving somewhere else, away from the beast’s den...
Only those with enough savings can do that.
Leave without money and you’ll just die in a ditch somewhere. Everyone’s made their lives here in the village.
We have farmland, cattle, ships. It’s not easy to let all that go.
Not everyone can just hop on a boat to another country like you, Polly.
We’re not wealthy.
Sorry. I... I didn’t mean to offend you...
...I know. I was being too harsh. You’re just... ignorant.
So naïve you believe the whole world is this perfect, magical place.
I’m not saying that’s a bad thing. If you’re capable of seeing the world like that, there’s no reason you should look at it any other way.
For as mature as you can be, Javi, you’re also rather cynical.
Hmph. Well pardon me.
...When you...
Hmm?

that kind of... made my day.
There’s nothing left for me in this village.
You’ll find plenty of new things, I’m sure. You can even make some friends in my town.
After all, you’ve still got a long life ahead of you, Javi. So you should make it a fun one!
You make it sound like I’m about to throw myself off a cliff.
I-I didn’t mean it like that...
...We should try to keep quiet from here out.
Ah, okay. Got it.

I press my back against the wall and take a few deep breaths. There’s a window next to me. If there really is a beast... if there really is a terrible, man-eating monster inside... I’m in danger if it catches me.

Javi’s eyes entreat me not to get any closer. But... I have to see. I have to see if there is a mountain of corpses inside these walls. If there’s even the slightest trace of him. I’m just going to have a look. Peek in from outside, without being noticed. That’s all I’m going to do. And when it’s done, I’ll go home.

Through the window, I see a dimly illuminated hallway. Like the garden, the inside is desolate. But there’s still... the sense that someone lives here. It’s not completely abandoned.

...Polly.
Ah!

BGM: None

I hold my breath so whatever is in there does not sense my presence — does not sense my gaze. And then —

Wha...

— a shadow whisks past.

No...
Polly...?
...!
Hey! Polly!

Stop it! You idiot! What do you think you’re doing?!
Please, open the door!
Polly! You promised me! Have you lost your mind?! The only thing in here is a —
It’s not a beast!
Huh?!
It’s not a beast! A beast isn’t living in this mansion!
Y-You’re wrong... It is! There’s a beast in there! A bestia!
Get away from the door! The beast —
It’s not a beast!
Open the door! Open the —
...!

:siren:Video: Reunion:siren:

:siren:BGM: Fecha Me:siren:

I knew it... I knew it... I was right...
You’re alive, you’re alive... You’re alive!
I never stopped believing! I knew you wouldn’t die!
Would you —

And I was right!

I’m so glad I didn’t give up!
I... I missed you so!
All this time... I’ve never stopped thinking about you!
I’ve never stopped imagining our reunion!
Yukimasa! I’m so glad you’re alive —
Stop it, Polly! Get away from him!
That’s — That’s —

I MUST SHOW YOU THAT I’M SERIOUS! I MUST KILL YOU, OR YOU JUST WON’T UNDERSTAND!
YOU JUST WON’T UNDERSTAAAAND!
IF I DON’T SHOW YOU FIRSTHAND, YOU JUST WON’T UNDERSTAAAAND!
I’LL MAKE YOU UNDERSTAAAAND××I’LL MAKE YOUR FLESH AND BONES UNDERSTAAAAND×××KILL××I’LL KILL YOU, I’LL KILLLL YOUUUU!

Pray for my mercy!
Weep! And struggle! And suffer! And die!
Look at this. No one can stand up to me.
Humans have no chance against beeeeasts!
Hee, heehee, heeeeheeheehee, haahahhahhahahahaha AHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAheeheeheeheeheeHEEHEEHEEHEEHEE!

××××××××××××××××××
What...?
××××××××××××××××××××××××
What... What’s the matter? It’s me! It’s Pauline!
I came to find you! I’ve missed you so much!
×××××××××××××××××××
Yukimasa?
Um, sorry, I still don’t understand your language...
Ah, w-wait! Where are you going?!

POOOOLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Don’t you recognize me? It’s Pauline, your love —
×××××××××××××××
Wha... why...?
×××××××××××××
...Your katana...
×××××××××××××
Why... would you point that at me...?
You’re scaring me... What’s gotten into you?
×××××××××××××××××××××
H-Hey... What’s the matter?
××××××××××××××××
Yukimasa... do you... know who I am?
×××××××××××××
What happened? You used to be able to speak my language so fluently...
L-Let’s talk... What do you say?
Put that thing away, please. It’s dangerous!
Aah... aaaahhhh... aaaaaaaahhhh...!
GrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Wh...y...?
You... cut me...?
AaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAaaaah!

Nngh, hahh... Y-Yukimasa... It’s me... It’s... Pau — Pauline...!
Open your eyes!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
AAAAAAAAHHHH!
N-No... Stop! Yu...ki...masa...! P-Please, s-stop this...!
OOOOOOaaaa×aaaaAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaa×aaaa AAAAaaaa××aaaaaaaah!
I’m begging you!
Aaaa××××aaaa××××aaaaaaaaaaaa××aaaa×××× aaaaaaaa××aaaaaaaah!
Why... Why... would you... do this... to me...?!
Stop it, Yukimasa! Stop thiiiis!

Why...? He’s... the beast...? Tell me, Yukimasa...

Did you... kill all those villagers?
Are you... going to kill me?

Why?

Ahh... grh... mgph... nngh...
×××××, A×××××, A××A××××××A××××××× AA××××××××××AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!
...Pl...ea...se... st...o...p...
Ahh... aaaah... aaaaaaaah... aaaahhhh...!

Yuki...
It’s... me... It’s... Pau...line...
Please... open... your eyes...
Let’s go... back... to my... town...
I never... got the chance... to ask... if you wanted... to move... to my country...
Then... we wouldn’t... have to wait... so long... to see each other...
What do you think... Yukimasa...?
BURN IN HELL!
...Why?

What... happened here...?
I am grateful... that you cannot see...
because you would certainly think me a beast... if you were able to see this...
Because you cannot see... you do not know what I look like...
But I do know...
Another beast, like me, broke into the mansion...
Was it —
I protected you! Did I not?! I protected you!
Say that I protected you! That I did this for you!
— actually a beast?

I can’t... keep my eyes open... I wonder who she is... They seem like they’re really close... Did you... choose someone else? Then you... could have just said so... I wouldn’t be angry... We’ve been apart for so long... But... this does kind of hurt... It hurts... I can’t take it...

Just once... could you turn back... and say my name...? I... I proved it... That you’re still alive...

We... We were lovers... weren’t we? So why...? You said you wanted... a peaceful life... I... I can’t take this...

...It... hurts... so bad...
...Yu...ki...ma...sa...
...I... can’t... take...
...Can’t... take... this...

I don't need anything extravagant -
just an ordinary life,
slowly growing older,
having three - maybe four children.
We'd never fight, and eventually,
before I knew it, I'd be an old lady,
thinking, "Ahh, it was an uneventful life,
but it was the best I could have asked for."
That's the life I want.
And what about you?

I couldn’t — Again, I couldn’t do...
...Ngh... Ah... aaaahhh...
Aaaaaaaah... aaaahh... aaaaaaaahhh...!
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

That's one way to do a breakup I suppose.

So the villagers drove him out because they were racist, so Pauline came to find him and he flipped out and killed her?

Man that sucks.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Whelp, guess that's just how life is eh?

I wonder why he couldn't speak Pauline's language?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Toalpaz posted:

Whelp, guess that's just how life is eh?

I'm guessing some kind of fugue or brain damage caused by whatever injury he obtained from his shipwreck

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Toalpaz posted:

Probably the same reason he reasoned himself to be non-human and reverted to speaking his primary language: the actual non-narratively convenient form of amnesia, that really is not used enough. This was superb execution of the most rote story with enough misdirects and setup for the payoff to be worthwhile, with some great use of historical context to have all the pieces present in a sensible fashion. I'm really glad to see this one wasn't overhyped!

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.
I think this is the point that most people I know who've played it got definitively sold on the VN.

PoorWeather fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 4, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Traumatic brain injuries are real bad.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

PetraCore posted:

Traumatic brain injuries are real bad.

^ Don't forget the (possible) dehydration and starvation, to say nothing of him getting freaking rocks thrown at him. I can't imagine any of that helped.

Also, congrats to the thread on figuring this out! ....and I'm sorry that you were proven so horribly right. :smith:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yeah, I imagine with everything he was going through, his grasp on what was a second language at best wasn't too hot.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am impressed that the x's from before were actually words and not just noises, but words in a language that can't be understood by the observer.

So what language is he speaking with White Haired Girl? She shouldn't know Japanese, but the Maid did teach Bestia to speak something.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

I am impressed that the x's from before were actually words and not just noises, but words in a language that can't be understood by the observer.

So what language is he speaking with White Haired Girl? She shouldn't know Japanese, but the Maid did teach Bestia to speak something.

Likely the local language, hence how he becomes able to converse with the visitors he then murders.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So he forgot the language he had spoken when with Pauline, learned the local one from the maid, and then reverted to Japanese in the panic of seeing Pauline.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

that seems like the most likely scenario, Pauline and Yukimasa speak dutch, the Maid and WHG presumably speaks Spanish or English, then Bestia reverts to Japanese.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Skylight posted:

^ Don't forget the (possible) dehydration and starvation, to say nothing of him getting freaking rocks thrown at him. I can't imagine any of that helped.

Also, congrats to the thread on figuring this out! ....and I'm sorry that you were proven so horribly right. :smith:
Yeah like if you just get a TBI you're probably not going to start killing people (although mood regulation can be one of the things affected, as can... like, a lot of things, it's the brain) but I do think that causing the amnesia and various behavioral oddities is a factor in how things went down because he didn't... have a very rooted sense of identity and grasp of who he was? Like literally his first memory is asking for help and getting tortured in response.

I believe he was severely dehydrated when he washed up but probably not literally starving unless his ship had run low on food. Salt water is real bad for you and aside from not having fresh water in however long it took for him to be knocked overboard/go down with the ship, 'drown', be washed up, and wake up, he almost certainly swallowed a fair bit of salt water when he was drowning. Combine that with stuffing salty, salty oceanside sand in his mouth when he woke up and it's not a stretch to say that dehydration alone was probably enough to drive him to delirium. Symptoms of severe dehydration include headaches, confusion, and seizures. I've heard stories of sailors hallucinating by the time they get desperate enough to drink salt water, but I don't know if that's accurate.

But of course in the mansion he has enough to drink, so some sort of brain injury either sustained in the water or from being beaten makes sense for not recognizing Pauline. I had the thought that since he sees himself as a beast because that's what people called him, and he's obviously seen himself in mirrors, he might have been so certain Pauline was a beast because of, um, the racial aspect? But that might be a stretch. There's certainly perceptual fuckery going on as well as extreme anxiety for someone trying to touch him and yelling at or to him.

EDIT: Basically just not recognizing Pauline combined with her rushing at him yelling to him in an unfamiliar language might have been enough to trigger a panic attack and a violent response without shoehorning racism in there.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

What is the matter? You look pale as a ghost...

What? I lied to you? I have not told you a single falsehood, Master.

Ahh, about the beast? That means you were seeing her memories, then?

Is that so...? That must have been quite difficult to witness. But I assure you, I have told you no lies. Bestia was convinced he was a beast. And as a servant of this house, it is my responsibility to present my former master to you as he saw himself. This would have been a very different story... had you not discovered the truth. A beast meets a white-haired girl and learns humanity. That tale would have been far easier on you, I’m sure.

By remaining in the dark... and seeing the story through his eyes alone... you would not have had to witness that poor girl’s miserable death. And that, perhaps, would have been better for you... But the reality you observed through her eyes changes the “truth” of his tale. And it sounds like the visions you had did not run in parallel to the events I described for you, but took place slightly earlier in time. Which means that, yes... her fate was set in stone well before you ever saw it.

I do have to wonder, though — why did Bestia believe the woman to be a beast like him? Perhaps it was because her hair, eye, and skin color were similar to his own. The poor young woman who called upon the mansion did, indeed, resemble Bestia. They were of a similar race. Half of her blood was of the same race as his. But was that the only reason? Would that be enough for him to mistake her for a beast? I have my own theory — his memories may have played a role. I suspect Bestia was afraid the memories from when he was “human” would cause him to waver. But that is simply my own speculation. Perhaps he had merely lost his grip on reality. How well have you come to understand Bestia, Master? You do appear to think he was an ordinary human who believed himself to be a beast. But where... does the line between man and beast truly lie? That I do not know.

Master, if — like Bestia — you were to lose your memories and endure persecution and degradation until you broke... would you still remember those you care for?

...Now, our tale is not yet over. The web of misfortune was tightly, oh so tightly entangled. It could not be unraveled.

BGM: Huaina

Just after the White-Haired Girl had disrobed, showing Bestia the difference between her and him. This was, yes, several days following the young woman’s death. The blood in the hall had been cleaned up, and there was no trace of it any longer. He had made a tremendous mistake — though the only people aware of that mistake are you and I. There is, perhaps, a chance the White-Haired Girl had realized, but she knew nothing of the woman. So I entreat you not to fault the White-Haired Girl for trying to be kind to Bestia.

She is without sin — in any and all times.

He seemed to have calmed down a bit. After examining her body and comparing it with his own, he was once again coming to think he might not be a beast. In the past, he would have rejoiced to have proof of his own humanity. However, it was for him then the seed of several new doubts.

Yes.
Do you still believe this?
I certainly do.
You are simply mistaken. You believe yourself to be a beast because of what the villagers said.
Why did they call me a beast?
If...
If I were able to see, I could surely answer all your questions.
But I cannot... so all I can offer you is my conjecture.
Go on. Tell me.
I suspect that you do not come from this country.
No, you do not come from this continent.
You came to this continent from far, far away — perhaps even across the seas.
This land has been cast into turmoil by the war. Fortunately, no fighting reached the village, but...
it has blocked trade routes, stripped them of their independence, and cast a dark shadow over their hope.
They are... quite devastated, I imagine.
And then, you showed up.
From what I have heard, this area is not particularly friendly to people from other countries.
Even less so those from another continent.
I doubt they know much about distant lands, so they had probably never seen someone like you before.
But in addition, you would have been wearied and worn. I guess you were emaciated, wasting away.
Enough so that you did not even look like yourself.

When I woke up, I was on the beach...
I don’t remember anything before that...
My joints all ached, and I was incredibly thirsty... I was in so much pain... I sought help.
But... nothing I said got through to the villagers. I... did not understand what they said either.
But the one thing you did understand was that they were calling you “bestia.”
Right.
And I also understood that the word was used to describe beasts.
The way they looked at me... it wasn’t normal! So I...
I imagine, at first, they simply didn’t want the trouble. They didn’t actually think you were a beast...
simply that this wretched man, unfamiliar in appearance, who had washed ashore resembled a beast.
...Washed ashore?
You were in an accident, were you not?
While crossing the sea.
I — I do not remember... I can’t remember.

(If I am not a beast...)
(that means the other beast... wasn’t one either.)
(What did the beast look like?)
(It looked... somehow similar to me. Its hair color, skin color, eye color...)
(And the way it spoke seemed vaguely familiar.)
(Which means... it was... It was...)
(I cannot accept that!)
(If I do...)
(then that means... I have done something terrible...)

What...?
I — They did call me a beast. I was, in fact, a beast.
As I’ve been saying, that’s because —
Tell me I’m a beast, please! Let me remain a beast!

But you can never know what someone else sees. And there is nothing to say they see the same thing as you.
As you and I have seen different things...
so too did the man and his lover see different things.
Or perchance the true shape of the world is visible only through the White-Haired Girl’s sightless eyes.
Do you think the reason he so stubbornly rejected his human memories is because he had taken the life of his beloved?
I, personally, believe that there was more to it than that.

You shall remember everything.
I will not allow you to avert your eyes.
Remember
that you have always,
always been a beast,
incapable of saving anyone —
only of taking.
Remember,
and suffer.
Agonize.
Writhe.
Anguish.
Grieve.
Suffer.

BGM: Fecha Me

Just how long are they going to maintain this stance? Regrettable, isn’t it, son?
Yes, I agree with you wholeheartedly, Captain Asama.
We can make it this far on the white men’s ship, but they give no response to our missives.
I’m not sure it’s even reaching the magistrate’s hands...
Is it so difficult to be even the slightest bit accommodating to your fellow countrymen?
They seem to be treating the white men rather poorly as well. I hear they imprison them on a tiny, man-made island.
That’s no way to make friends...
Well, all things considered, we can hardly call this our homeland anymore, anyway.
For how many generations has your family lived overseas, again?
I am the third.
I see... Then I doubt you have any attachment to this land.
That’s... not true.
I may never have the opportunity to set foot on her soil... but my spirit dwells within this land.
My grandfather has told me much about this country. Of her four rich, vibrant seasons and boundless beauty.
I am deeply grateful that you invited me on this voyage to visit her, Captain Asama.
I have finally, if only at a distance, laid eyes upon my home.
I cannot say when this era may draw to a close, but I hope the time comes when we can proudly proclaim her our motherland.
“You can’t find food this good back home!” Haha... I eagerly await the day that becomes true.
Indeed. As do I.

She believes I was born in the Orient, but in truth, I have never once set foot in that country. I was born in Europe. My family has not been permitted to return since my grandparents left. I can still remember as clear as day the look of profound regret on my grandfather’s face as he departed from this world. He bequeathed unto me a katana, and on that day, that blade became the one object binding me to my homeland.

...I could not bring myself to tell her that I am disallowed to return home. I did not want her to think that I had been forsaken by my country — that my country would do such a thing. However... some part of me believes there was more to it than that...

Yeah. I never would have expected it — not on this ship. One of the crew was conspiring with a government official.
He hid unreported goods onboard and delivered them in secret.
What goods?
Silver coins. Spanish coins trade for more than they’re worth as currency.
The official was sentenced to commit seppuku...
but we are responsible for our own crew’s punishment. I am still trying to decide how to handle it...
Have him commit seppuku as well.
This sailor has brought shame upon the entire ship.
If he is made to take responsibility for his actions, then perhaps we can minimize the damage to our reputation.
You make a fair point... Unfortunately, he is not of this land. I doubt he is familiar with the ritual.
Then I shall serve as his second and ensure he dies without issue.
...Have you lost your mind?
I have been trained in the art. It is unlikely I should fail.
You are not a samurai, though...
I was born into a family of samurai. At least, it was until three generations ago. But that blood still courses through my veins.
Very well, then. That is how we shall do it.

Seedorf has, in violation of restrictions set in place by the shogunate, committed the grave crime of smuggling prohibited goods into the country.
In order to atone for this betrayal of the trust of both nations...
he vows to take his life here before you.
Do you have any last words?
I deeply regret that we should have to lose a companion, with whom we have traveled the seven seas, in this manner.
Do it.

...What?
It wasn’t me!
I’ve been set up! I didn’t smuggle anything!
I don’t know anything about any silver coins! I’ve been framed!
Believe me! Why should I have to slice my own —
...?!

Lies to escape punishment. I could not allow him to continue shaming himself, and us, when his fate was already decided.
It would only serve to tarnish this ship’s honor.
B-But...
An investigation was performed. It is our duty to trust those results.
Y — You’re right...
Yes... you’re right. Good work. Now, this needs to be cleaned up...
Yes, sir...
I’m sure I was mistaken, but I would like to ask you anyway...
...Were you...
smiling as you did it?
...You...
must have been seeing things.

Was that really the only reason... I couldn’t bring myself to tell her the truth?

Was that... Was that from my memories?! Ah, ahh, n-no! No!
A — Asama? I-I’ve never met that man!
Or that woman!
Aaaah, aaaahhhh, no, no, no, I was, I was just, no, it wasn’t me, I-I-I-I don’t — !
IIIIIIII — IIII — I doooooooooooon’t — !
Don’t remember... I don’t remember anything! Not a thing! Not a single thing! I am a beast! I’m a beast, not a human! I don’t need those memories!
Ngh, nngh, nnnnh, nnnnrgh, nnnngh!
A — Are you there, ××××××××?! Are you there?! Where are you, ××××××××?!
Come — Come to me, be with me!
Peeeeace... my peeeeeeeeace!

Why?! Why are you not at my side?!
Aaahhh, aahh... aaaahhh...! Don’t remember anything, stop remembering!

Is that... a silver coin?
Spanish silver...

Some weeks after we set off back west, I find a silver coin in the ship’s hold. I don’t know if it got overlooked or dropped when transporting the rest, but there’s just one. The first thing I think when I find it is that I should report it to Captain Asama.

But instead... I slip the coin into my pocket... and take my leave of the hold, as if nothing ever happened. Not for the purpose of smuggling it for some extra cash; it only has extra value in the East. Back West, it’s worth nothing more than its designated value as currency. So again, it’s not for want of money.

Well, drat...
It seems Seedorf might have been innocent after all...
Perhaps so. And if he had no hand in the smuggling... then I have done a horribly regrettable thing.
No... as you said, an investigation was conducted. We had no choice but to believe the information we were given.
You mustn’t blame yourself. I feel bad for putting such an unpleasant responsibility on you.
Not at all...
Now. How do we handle this?
I can’t believe a silver coin was found in someone else’s luggage.
It would be best to handle this internally. Publicly, we have already made our amends with Seedorf’s death.
That’s true...
Though it would be prudent to try and discover from where he is acquiring the coins...
so as to prevent another such incident.
Should one of our crew be caught smuggling again, he will not be the only one asked to take responsibility.
I have great sympathy for you, Captain Asama...
This is quite the headache.
I can’t imagine he would give up his connections just because we asked...
We can force him.
If he doesn’t want to talk, then we can give him some encouragement.
But... I couldn’t...
Worry not, Captain Asama. I shall take care of the... dirty work.
You needn’t trouble yourself with anything, Captain.
Leave it all to me...
Captain.
Very well. I leave this in your hands, Yukimasa.
...Yes, sir.

How are you feeling?
H-Hey! Untie me! What’s the meaning of this?!
A silver coin was discovered in your luggage.
Huh...? A silver coin...?
Interesting. It would seem you have quite a knack for acting.
Hold on, I don’t follow... I thought the smuggling problem was taken care of!
Seedorf wasn’t the one doing the smuggling. It was you.
Like hell! I’ve never seen any drat silver coins! This is some kind of mistake! Check my bags again!
A coin was found in your luggage, regrettably. Captain Asama saw it himself.
Lies! I swear I’ve never touched one!
Is that so?
I swear! Never once! Please believe me! I’m no smuggler!
I-I’ve done good work! Even on this expedition!
You know I’m not someone who would get involved in smuggling!
I don’t know...
what kind of person anyone is.
...!
We may have known each other for years...
but that doesn’t mean I have any way of knowing...
what you think in private, how you feel — what kind of person you are.
You — !
You smuggled the coins, didn’t you?
I didn’t! I had nothing to do with it!
Who was your supplier?
I’m telling you! I’m no smuggler!
It puts Captain Asama in an uncomfortable position if you don’t talk. We can’t risk damaging our homeland’s trust any further.
I swear! I swear to God, I had nothing to do with it!
So you won’t tell?
How can I tell you something I know nothing about?!
I see...
Y-You believe me...?
So it’s very, very important information. Enough so that you can’t give it up so easily...
...!

Wha — What are you...
Ngh!
Whenever you’re ready to talk, let me know. I’ll stop right away.
H-Hey! Stop! What are you — !
Quite the thick fingers you have.
L-L-Let go! What are you — ?!
But it’s all meat — your bones aren’t any thicker than anyone else’s.

Oh, don’t start screaming just yet. That was just the first — your little finger. Next is your ring finger.
S-Stop! Please, don’t! I’m begging you!
Are you ready to talk?
I-I told you, I don’t know anything!
Too bad.
NNNGAAAAAAAAAAAAH! G-Graaaaaaaah, aaaaaaaaaaaahhh!
Your middle finger.
D-Do — Don’t — !
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!
Your right hand is going to be useless if you don’t start talking soon.
Ahh, aaaah, ah, aaaah...!
Wh-What do... you want... me to tell you...? I swear... I had nothing to do with it...
What has you so stubbornly refusing to talk? Is your supplier really worth going to such lengths to protect?
No, I can’t tell you... what I don’t know... That’s —
GRRAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!
All that’s left is your thumb.
Nnh, nrgh... aahhhh...
H-Help... s-someone, get me —
Just so we’re perfectly clear, everyone on board knows what you did.
No one’s going to come to a smuggler’s aid.
...G-God... I can’t take any more of this! Please, stop!
Ready to talk?
...Nnh... rgh...
What will it be?

O-Okay, I’ll talk...
If anything you tell me is a lie...
you can consider your life forfeit. Are you ready to tell me the truth?
...!
We will investigate the details of your confession; if you lie, we will find out.
Understood?
B-But... I...
Speak.
But...
Or can’t you?
...I don’t know anything!
That’s a shame.
NnnnnnnnnnnnghaaAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!
Ahh, well, you won’t be using your right hand ever again.
Ahh... aaaahhhnnnng... nnnngh...!
Although, there are still five fingers on your left.
...!
Are you in pain?
Nnnngh...!
Do you want me to stop?
Y-Yes... please...
All right.
AAAAAAAAHHH, AAAH, AAAAAAAAHH!
Four left.
Nnn, rgh, gggggggghh!
That is quite the face. I wish I could show it to you in a mirror.
Wh — Wh-What... is wrong... with you?!
Y — You monster!

Now go on, spit it out.
Y-You wouldn’t believe... anything I said anyway!
How long... have you been doing this...?!
You’re the first.
Liar! You sick bastard!
It’s the truth, though.
Then why... why are you smiling?!
Ngggh, grh, aaaah... ah, aaaahh!
Three left. What’ll it be? Will you tell me everything, no lies and no omissions?
It wasn’t me! It wasn’t me! I didn’t do anything!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!
Two left. It’s surprising how easily they break.
N-Noooooooooooooooooooo!
STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!
This is the last one.
Aaaah, aaaahh, aahh... aaaaaaaahhh...
Ahh... aaaah... it burns... it burns... My fingers... are on fire...!
Now... what next?
It burns, it burns, it burns...
Are you listening?
Mnh, nnnnnnnnrh...
Hello?
Aaaah... aaaahhhh...
This over a few broken fingers?
Mnh, nnh, ggh, nrgh...
Need me to wake you up?
Ahh, aaaah...
Let me tell you something...

...!
Of course you don’t know anything.
Ah, aaah, ahhh...
S-Someone! Anyone! Get in here! The silver coin wasn’t —
Ggh, rggh...!
Don’t go shouting things you’ll regret.
...Nngh, ggggh!
It’s hard to fight back... with your hands in that condition.
Having trouble breathing? Huh? Well, are you? You need air?
Ngh, ah... nh... ...! ...!! ...!!!
I guess it’s hard to talk with my hands around your throat, huh?
...Mhh... mnhhhh... nnnh...
Do you want air?
...Mnh, nnh, nnnh!
All right. Then you can have some air.
— Hah, hahhh! Hahh, haaah! Hah! Hhhah!
S-Someone... Anyone... Please, get in —
...!
You just don’t learn.
Ngh, rgh, agh, ahhh...!

“Why?”
“Why are you doing this?”
“Why...?”

That is a good question...
I’m not even sure myself.
...Agh... ggh!
...Ah... ahh...
...ahh...
Hey.
Answer me.
...Well, drat.
I missed the opportunity to use my katana.

My story will be that he sneaked out while I wasn’t looking... and threw himself into the sea.

As I watch the sack of flesh sink into the depths... I’m thoroughly shocked to realize I don’t feel the slightest bit bad about what I’ve done. No regret, no remorse — nothing. I comprehend... that the things I’ve done are reprehensible. That they’re evil. But that knowledge wasn’t sufficient to restrain my urges. There’s an itch I’ve felt deep within my chest ever since the moment my blade sunk its teeth into Seedorf’s neck. I don’t know what to call it. But I feel... like I’m floating. Like everything swirling about inside me has been unleashed — set free.

There’s also an edge of anxiety, though. If I continue down this path, what might I transform into? Despite feeling not the slightest bit guilty about the horrible things I’ve done... I still fear this life I’ve made slipping away from me. I want something to anchor me.

What, exactly, am I? Is this what I wanted to become? The kind of man who can take another’s life without flinching... fully aware of his actions?

I never took you for someone so pretentious!
Haha... I’m sorry. You just looked so much like a rabbit there, the way you were tossing your head back and forth, looking around for me.
Oh, you...
“Nijntje” is something you call a child.
I’m not a little girl anymore.
I’m sorry, really. Don’t be so mad, Pauline.
...Hehe.
I’m not mad at all.
It’s... It’s been a year and a half! We finally get to see each other again!
That we do.
Did you have any trouble out at sea? Did you fall ill, or get caught in a storm, or run into any kind of danger at all?
No, there was no trouble. Everything went fine, without incident. The sea god was watching over us, I suppose.

(I don’t know... I don’t know, I don’t know, I don’t know!)
(What... What am I? Who am I? Who — )
(Who...)
What is this room...?
What are those... colored windows?
Were those here before... in the mansion?
Ah... aaah... aaAAaah... I know what that is...
It’s an angel.
The angel...
The angel is — It’s looking... looking at me... and laughing...
The angel... is looking down... on me... and laughing...
Rgh... grrrrh... rrrrrrrrgh...
NNNNGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRHHH!

...What are... you doing...?
The angel... The angel is laughing at me... The angel...
So I, I... I, the angel...
You. You... Where were you...?
I went to the kitchen... to get a drink of water.
You have nothing to worry about. I will not run away from you.
I-I —
I am not human. Am I?
I’m not a human...
You are —
— Not a human!
You are... you.
It’s all right. I imagine it’s quite disconcerting, having lost your memories.
But no matter what happens, you will always be you.
Don’t be afraid.
(Are those...)
(the words of encouragement I truly wanted to hear?)
(Am I...)
(Am I afraid of being myself?)
(I don’t know... Don’t think about it...)
(I am a beast. A beast with no memories!)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I was wrong, he is a shithead to the bone. I thought it was over!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Personal note - this is honestly one of my favorite parts of the entire game. I love the tearing down of the "beauty and the beast" narrative with the idea that he's using the "beast" narrative to keep himself from having to accept that he always was a monster - a very human one - and that he's using the white-haired girl as an anchor to tie himself to not having to come to terms with anything he's done. The real twist wasn't that the beast was a man, but that the man was a beast.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah holy poo poo, I didn't consider that Yukimasa might have been an eager murderer and sadist BEFORE he got so hosed up.

EDIT: Oh my god it's darkly hilarious that he only started experiencing the sensation of regret after getting his brain jostled. Which I'm still taking as something that absolutely happened for two reasons now, one being that he's amnesiac but the other being that he's experiencing regret and shame where he didn't before.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 5, 2018

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
:stare: ... All right, full admission here: last update, my interest in the story was somewhate flagging, not because of any dip in quality, but because I thought it was beginning to tread a very familiar (and excessively maudlin) path that I didn't know I was in the mood for, not so soon after the the last ProfessorProf joint had run the gamut of sads, both skillfully and exhaustively. But then this update happened, and... well Prof already said it:

ProfessorProf posted:

Personal note - this is honestly one of my favorite parts of the entire game. I love the tearing down of the "beauty and the beast" narrative with the idea that he's using the "beast" narrative to keep himself from having to accept that he always was a monster - a very human one - and that he's using the white-haired girl as an anchor to tie himself to not having to come to terms with anything he's done. The real twist wasn't that the beast was a man, but that the man was a beast.

This... this is some high quality, prime cut misdirection/subversion here, and the authors control of the narrative and the use of time to manipulate our perception of these events... It's really good. It's really good. Suddenly the sinister nature of the Mogera track makes more sense now.

Inject it directly into my veins.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I'm sorry for all those who thought Yukimasa was not a beast.

There also wasn't a video for that part, but every time Yukimasa snaps a finger, there's a sound for it. It's a very... detailed sound.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 5, 2018

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

https://youtu.be/X4RuB3gT8t0

I've been waiting all door to post this.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, I was not expecting this.

I'm still wondering if we're going to loop back to specifics about what happened to Mell and Nellie beyond the family not having any issue, but things have really taken off with Yukimasa. And with only one other named, portait-having character remaining in the form of Javi, I am really questioning how this story is going to end. Is he going to realize what he is and what he has done, then commit seppuku? Is Javi going to come back and kill him, perhaps succumbing to a blood lust himself? Is Yukimasa going to finally brave the outdoors and get stoned to death by villagers? I mean there's no way he lives at this point, it's just a question of how this ends, and how the WHG goes back in the mansion's toolbox for later.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Hot drat now that's a twist.

There's no being a good person for Yukimasu or Bestia, I guess

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Man. Yuki's jacket collar is so aggressive.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

So he really was a (very human kind of) beast. Not exactly what I was expecting! I wonder where it’ll go from here.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Pretty unexpected twist!

Also I'm guessing he didn't wash ashore with amnesia - he murdered the crap out of Javi's parents, which I suspect he did before people denied him food, water, et al.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm not sure I'll be able to read it faster than you update, Prof, but I just bought this game if only so the devs get a bit more money.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

If he accepted himself as human, it might cause memories better left buried to return to him. If he accepted himself as a beast, in exchange for his memories, he would no longer be able to rejoin human society. The White-Haired Girl fervently supported him in these precarious times. I was quite amazed. I had never imagined she would grow to be such a strong woman.

Nevertheless, God is a cruel master. For what strength He gave her spiritually, He took in equal part from her physically. Though she persisted, day in and day out, to stay by the man’s side, one day, she suddenly fell ill. With her in the throes of a high fever and not knowing the cause, he fell into a perpetual panic. There was no medicine in the mansion. They could hardly manage to put together sufficiently nutritious meals. Though there was no medicine, maybe there was something else that could make her feel better. However, everything he could think of required him to leave the house.

BGM: Crowd and River

Is there anything you would like?
Anything... I would like...?
I’m considering...
visiting the village.
I see... You’re going to the village...
I thought I might be able to get some medicine.
I would prefer to bring a doctor here... but no one would come if they learned you were in this mansion.
So...

He was planning to put on a disguise — to enter the village as a person. The White-Haired Girl smiled when she heard his idea. She had, after all, always wanted him to think of himself as human. However, because she was so pure-hearted, she did not comprehend... the full extent of the slaughter he had confessed to committing. The revenge he had taken on those who had chased him around. How sinister his cackling and furious his reaping. She did not grasp just how serious it was. She had faith that Bestia had kindness in his heart.

Oranges?
This is a land blessed by the sun. You should be able to find some wonderful, fresh oranges.
Will that make you feel better?
Yes, it should.
Okay.

Bestia’s mind was made up. He would don the skin of a human for her — to protect the peace he had. He would return to the place that had left him with many painful memories. It was, to him, the source of his fear. Whenever he let his guard down, their shouts would play back in his mind.

Bestia! Bestia!
Hideous beast!

Though he had physically conquered the people who lived there, Bestia’s memories of the village still haunted him. But her health meant more to him than any of that. He was willing to cast aside his fear if it meant the White-Haired Girl would recover. The girl still in her bed, he made his way out of the mansion. He crossed the overgrown forest, pushing forward one step at a time, all the while trying to brush aside his apprehension. Until he arrived at the village.

(This is where... they called me a beast.)
(Where I was almost killed.)
(And where... I killed them.)
(I look different than I did then. I’m dressed differently too. But...)
(can I play the part?)
(Can I act a convincing enough human?)
(I have no choice. There are no other villages.)
(I can’t let her die.)

(A village man is looking at me.)
(Only for a moment. But for me, that moment is torturously long.)
(A faint look of panic crosses his face, perhaps in fear of my appearance.)
(He’s staring at me.)
(Will he point his finger and call me a beast?)
(Will the other villagers come to kill me?)
(However — )
Haven’t seen you ’round here before.
(He didn’t recognize me!)
Yes. I come from a faraway land, and I am unfamiliar with this area, so...
Hahaha. You’re dressed like a nobleman. On a secret trip or somethin’?
S-Something like that...
You look really pale, though. Searchin’ for a doctor?
Ah, yes, but not for me... Um... my companion has come down with a fever.
Sorry to hear it. Well, I’d love to introduce ya, but he’s out right now.
And he won’t be back for a few days.
I-I see... And where might I be able to buy fruit?
There’s a shop just ’round that corner.
Thank you very much.
Don’t mention it. Do take care, traveler. It’s dangerous out there.

(But... not the same kind as before.)
(They don’t look at me with revulsion, hatred, or furious indignation.)
(They’re simply... curious.)
(The village feels different than last time.)
(Could it have changed this drastically?)
(Or is it because... I really did look like a beast then...)
(and now I look like a human?)
(I don’t know...)

Me? Yes?
I would like to buy some fruit... Some oranges.
Oranges? All righty. Just a sec.
(The fruit vendor doesn’t recognize me as the beast either...)
Any other year and they’d be a lot plumper than this.
But this year, we’ve had the end of the war and this whole mess with the beast, and it’s just been crazy.
If you’d like, how ’bout you come back in a few years and try our oranges again? They’ll be several times better, I assure you.
...I’ll keep that in mind.
You bet. That’ll be —
I’m sorry, I don’t have any local currency. Would this suffice?
Wha — How — Is —
No good, I take it...?
N-No, no, no! On the contrary! It’s hardly fair for you, trading a jewel for a few oranges!
That’s all I have to offer. I hope you can exchange it for money.
S-Sure... You nobles are somethin’ else...
Noble...
Aren’t you? Though if you wander around dressed too well, you put yourself in danger.
You might find yourself stripped bare by a bandit, or perhaps even catch the attention of the beast.
(The beast.)
(Everyone mentions the beast. They speak of me.)
Have you heard the tales?
I-I have not.
There’s a beast’s den not too far from this village. It’s attacked before, and we’ve been livin’ in fear, never knowing when it might attack again. But that all ends today!
...?
The men have finally found their spines! They all got together and went out to exterminate it!
Wha —
And you’ll never guess who’s responsible! A kid! A little boy is spearheading the attack!
...!
Never would have expected a little kid to whip all our lazy, cowardly men into shape.
The boy’s the only one who knows where the beast’s den — Ah, hold on!
...!
What about your oranges?!

BGM: Fugitive Dust

(And they’re going to kill the beast?!)
(Why now?!)
(Why when I’m not there?!)
(I’m the beast! I’m right here! I’m what you’re trying to hunt!)
(The only person at the mansion right now...)
(is her!)

Though what good would that knowledge have done him? He had to hurry back regardless. The sun was beginning to set, draping the surroundings in a deep blackness. As if to keep him from returning home, the night wrapped its hands around his head, covering both eyes. In what direction did he have to head to return to the mansion?

He stormed through the forest, and eventually, the mansion appeared before him — like the world fading into view after a dream. Bestia was a tempest in the night, blowing through the overgrowth toward the house.

I need... the peace that she provides me!
The last thing I want is for her to die!

In the blink of an eye, he was through the door, charging down the mansion’s halls. He could not sense anyone else inside, though. All he could hear was the whoosh of the wind blowing into the house from somewhere. It seemed a window was open.

Where have you gone?!
Answer me! Please answer me!
××××××××!

He cried out the girl’s name, again and again, until his throat was sore and his voice hoarse. But she did not respond.

He rushed into her bedchamber.

Where are you?! Where are you?!
Answer meeeeeeee!
— ?!

The man swung his head back and forth so hard he thought he might break his own neck. And when he made to look down, he slipped, falling on his tailbone. He felt something slick on his hands — a sensation he would recognize anywhere. The liquid was still warm.

No... That cannot be...
It can’t...
It can’t!
It cannot beeeeeeee!

Muttering incomprehensibly in fear, he crawled back through the door of her chamber and into the corridor. Like a genuine beast, he followed the trail of slippery fluid on all fours. The trail glimmered like red wine. It stretched down the hall, past the living room, smeared across the floor like it had been wiped down with a mop.

The man crawled and crawled and crawled, until at last, he reached the stairs leading down to the cellar. The ruby trail continued... From beyond the door, he could hear men’s voices.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

With a howl, the man stumbled down the stairs, throwing open the wooden door. His first impression was that the stench of blood was suffocating. And indeed, there he discovered the White-Haired Girl.

...Ahh... aaah...

He found himself unable to even scream.

She was sprawled haphazardly out on the cellar floor, dried blood stains around her half-open mouth. And those lips were, naturally, lacking their former rosen sheen. Her body was covered with an array of wounds, but the most prominent was the man’s singular sword standing tall in her chest.

This is the bestia? He doesn’t look like the same —
It’s him.

Several villagers surrounded him at the behest of a young boy.

He’s gotten himself dressed up all proper and fancy, but good clothes don’t make him a good man.
Isn’t that right, you bestia? No —
YOU MURDERER!

Why? You want to know why?
Her death was... an accident, I’d say.
I feel bad about what happened.
But any woman... who would live with a man like you...
must be a witch.
...!
Does that hurt? Are you hurting right now, you bestia?
Then maybe now you understand!
You — You not only stole my parents and friends from me...
you ripped the last shard of hope I had from my hands!
Do you get it... Do you finally understand...
HOW I FEEL?!
Now do you know how it feels to have someone you care about taken from you?!
She... Pauline was desperately trying to find you!
Why?! Why would you kill someone so devoted to you?!
Do you understand what you’ve done?!
I’m asking you a question, you goddamned murderer!
...I see...
...And now... I have nothing left...
What?

His eyes were disturbingly vacant. Perhaps the sorrow had overpowered him, beating his heart into quiet submission. No... No, that was not the case. Though his eyes were empty, a faint smile spread across his lips. The transition was swift, as though a gear had switched in his mind. The boy and the other villagers were frozen in place at the sight.

Before long, the man was standing before the deceased girl’s body. And then, he pulled the blade from her chest.

And what I wanted... was a tether.
What... are you yammering on about?
Didn’t... Didn’t you care about that woman? Didn’t you choose her over Pauline...
who you then threw aside and butchered?/
What... What is wrong with you?! What was she to you?!
She was my... serenity.
But she’s dead now... and there’s nothing I can do about that.
Peace. Calm. Tranquility... Hah, hahahaha...

The man’s behavior was downright eerie, causing the boy to flinch back. Believing he’d had everything taken from him and could not possibly lose anything more was, I imagine, what had allowed him to stand up to the beast — the source of such crippling fear. Yet now, he found himself unable to move. He found himself, in the face of such an incomprehensible creature, paralyzed with fear. And the villagers were similarly dumbstruck. Not even I could understand his behavior.

What the — What the hell is wrong with you?! How can you laugh at this?!
I don’t get it!
How? How indeed. I wonder myseeeeeeeellllffff...
Hah, hah, haha, hahaha... I don’t know eeeeeeeeither...
But you know what? It doesn’t matter anymore.
Because every last one of my anchors! Has broken off and sunken into the sea!
Ahahahahahah, hahahahah, haheeeeheeeeheeeeeeeeheeheeheeheeheehee!
...!

Dammit, get moving! Kill hi —

What was it that afflicted you with such madness? Losing your memory in the shipwreck? The abuse and insult you suffered at the villagers’ hands? Or was it your grief at not being able to return to your homeland?

No, none of those were the root. You were... You were always like this. You always bore those twisted desires. You held these deep, constant urges to cause others harm. That is your essence. The real you hidden beneath the mask of sincerity. The true beast was your heart. The “beast” was a convenient skin for you to wear. You wanted to be a brutal, savage murderer. You never really loved the White-Haired Girl — or the black-haired woman, for that matter. You were merely attached to them. Fixated on the idea of a world of tranquility. You used this peace to anchor yourself, to prevent you from drifting off into the ocean of your desires. You yearned to cause pain... while also hungering for the opposite — a calm life. You idolized this idealized life, spent in quiet harmony with another, because you knew just how difficult it would be for you to attain. Far more difficult for you than satisfying your cravings — but not impossible.

I, personally, had hoped you would find peace with someone rather than descend into savagery. It may have only been superficial... but it would have been very human. But ultimately, peace slipped through your fingers... and no one was left to suppress your desires. You cannot, after all, hold them back yourself.

What a tragic man.

What a hopeless man you are.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

I haven't seen a face like that since Drakengard.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
That's some artwork. :ohdear:
Prime avatar material, I would say.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Mraagvpeine posted:

I haven't seen a face like that since Drakengard.

I.
Hear.
A.
xxxxx.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.
I just wanna say that I really appreciated all those posts about how Yukimasa was a victim of society and circumstance earlier.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
So that last monologue is him? Or the Maid?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

witchcore ricepunk posted:

So that last monologue is him? Or the Maid?

Maid it sounds like.

To be fair you don't typically have stories where it goes, oh yeah the twist is the guy's a sadistic sociopath and no one was redeemable. The story is designed to draw out the desire to see the good in him, and then take it away from you.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

PoorWeather posted:

I just wanna say that I really appreciated all those posts about how Yukimasa was a victim of society and circumstance earlier.
Yeah it must have been hilarious.

I mean, I didn't think he was a good person... but in retrospect, if his deepest desire had been peace and safety the mansion could have provided. The fact that people kept showing up for him to toy with and slaughter should have been a clue.

It sucks what happened to the White Haired Girl, though... that's two stories now where she's been the one to get the pain and punishment for other people's actions. We're not quite far enough in to say it's a running theme yet, but given the Maid insisting that the WHG has never been at fault for what happens, I wonder. And I wonder if in the future she/her reincarnations will get LESS compassionate as a response.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
So after the scissors she shows up with short hair and blind, I wonder if the next WHG is going to have some side effects from being stabbed to death in a previous life. Or since this one wasn't entirely linear, maybe it'll take place in between the chapters and she'll end up blinded in that one?

Or maybe something won't go horribly wrong for once and she'll die of old age surrounded by loved ones, I have my fingers crossed for that one.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Alopex posted:

Or maybe something won't go horribly wrong for once and she'll die of old age surrounded by loved ones, I have my fingers crossed for that one.

Funny, even having never played this game, all I can think of in reply to this is :yokotaro:

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
Sorry if this is a dumb question or part of Prof’s choice in posting this is to conceal the gameplay, but in what sense is this a game?

uberkeyzer fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

uberkeyzer posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question or part of Prof’s choice in posting this is to conceal the gameplay, but in what sense is this a game?

The gameplay is pressing the spacebar to advance to the next text box.