Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I do kinda wish all these characters got to actually fight instead of just standing by until you build enough meter to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
I sped through the game on my first play through and was going to start again on NG+.

Should I grind out a few more levels (I’m level 72) or core crystals or anything before starting again?

I got the cool accessories that let you heal on attacks/critical, so I’d like to try to skip on the dedicated healer character so I can play with some of the other characters and new blades, and actually do more than 2 side quests this time.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I like all the party members.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I like Poppi a lot but Tora and his sausages can f off. Zeke and Nia are cool. Morag is fine but she's meant to be quiet and reserved. Rex did absolutely nothing for me. Pyra > Mythra but it's close.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The triple waifu part of Pyrah and Mythra and whatever the hell the third form was called was really wasteful because it underdevelops a main character and they werent that different

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Louisgod posted:

It would've been cool if instead of having Blades in this game they instead replaced them with literal blades, like swords, that you could equip and in turn find all through the world, where stronger ones could be locked behind field skills that would unlock progressively as you get further in the game... just like every game made before it.

yeah I endlessly bitch about this game but I do enjoy it, it's just the bad things are so much more apparent in this game than the previous two and I secretly hope consistently pointing them out has an effect on them being fixed in the future.

I only ever really come to threads to complain about stuff anyway but yea, even though Xenoblade has an insane amount of annoying poo poo in it I really liked it anyway. I'd love it if every blade was quest/test related and if the outfits were less loving horrendous but I still liked it despite those issues.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I take it back, my favorite part of this patch is being able to completely replace Rex with Zeke.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Barudak posted:

The triple waifu part of Pyrah and Mythra and whatever the hell the third form was called was really wasteful because it underdevelops a main character and they werent that different

Especially with the dumb poo poo in the endgame.

They should have just had them permanently re-merge into the original form story-wise with Mythra/Pyra left as a gameplay thing. She had the best design out of all of them anyways.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Leathal posted:

I take it back, my favorite part of this patch is being able to completely replace Rex with Zeke.

That was the first thing I did and it owns. The noise he makes when opening a chest is extremely weird however.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

How are people going about farming SP now, for all the hidden affinities?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Louisgod posted:

That was the first thing I did and it owns. The noise he makes when opening a chest is extremely weird however.

AH HUUUUUUUH

It's like impossible to spell out phonetically

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Also every Xeno game needs to have Vanderkaum/Vangare/Vandham, so they had to slot him in somewhere.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Leathal posted:

I already did that from about Chapter 7 onwards. :colbert:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also every Xeno game needs to have Vanderkaum/Vangare/Vandham, so they had to slot him in somewhere.

Ha, I didn't know the commander at the start of Xenoblade is a callback to Vanderkam. Surprised he didn't have a random tattoo on his face like him or the Xenosaga one I saw pictures of.

DoctorChowder
Sep 17, 2016

Black Balloon posted:

How are people going about farming SP now, for all the hidden affinities?

Chain attack overkill the final boss 10 levels below the final boss's level.

I don't think I need to say this but major spoilers in video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xq9BZYR55A

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

DoctorChowder posted:

Chain attack overkill the final boss 10 levels below the final boss's level.

I don't think I need to say this but major spoilers in video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xq9BZYR55A

Awesome, that is way more reasonable than the superboss farming I was about to mentally prepare for. Thanks!

DoctorChowder
Sep 17, 2016

Zarfol posted:

I sped through the game on my first play through and was going to start again on NG+.

Should I grind out a few more levels (I’m level 72) or core crystals or anything before starting again?

I got the cool accessories that let you heal on attacks/critical, so I’d like to try to skip on the dedicated healer character so I can play with some of the other characters and new blades, and actually do more than 2 side quests this time.

If you're not doing the sidequests in your first play through, I guess the only thing that's important would be the overdrives in chest.

Well, there's the 10 Dilation Chips in the control room, the best tank block chip in the game, but you have to beat Ophion for that first.

If you don't want to do that you can skip that and just jump straight through NG+ imo

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

kirbysuperstar posted:

And much like Vanderkaum he died a bitch death at the hands of someone exponentially more powerful.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Argas posted:

I do kinda wish all these characters got to actually fight instead of just standing by until you build enough meter to use them.

at the endgame where everything is about blade combos and chain attacks and you have ridiculous special recovery they fight more than the main characters.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Poppi loses her other modes and technical manuals in NG+ :mad:

DoctorChowder
Sep 17, 2016

Reality Loser posted:

You get her other modes after the appropriate chapter but the tech manuals I didn't know, apologies.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Reality Loser posted:

Do you keep her upgrades and modules?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

SpazmasterX posted:

Do you keep her upgrades and modules?

Yeah, you do.

I just traded 200k rested xp for 20k ether crystals, which I can now use for 100x tank I upgrades. Woop woop.

e: Salvager rank resets too.

RealityWarCriminal fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 7, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Play as Tora and crank up the volume on your TV. Gather, run around and jump everywhere, do just about anything.

Do it

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I am about to reach once again in my Xenoblade 1 save Prisoner Island, which isn't too far from my old save at the Mechon Field (I think), which there is about a 40 hour difference between these saves. How far do I have left in Xenoblade on the current save and the abandoned one? Also unrelated, but is the season pass for XB2 worth getting or just mostly fluff?

DoctorChowder
Sep 17, 2016

Rirse posted:

Also unrelated, but is the season pass for XB2 worth getting or just mostly fluff?

I don't think so because I'm pretty sure that most things in the listed in the expansion pass as of now can be retrieved in the game, unless you want the new quest pack.

The thing to look out for in the upcoming DLC, is the rare blade, challenge, and story content packs.

I'm not sure if there's any info lurking around what's in store for those things though.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Rirse posted:

I am about to reach once again in my Xenoblade 1 save Prisoner Island, which isn't too far from my old save at the Mechon Field (I think), which there is about a 40 hour difference between these saves. How far do I have left in Xenoblade on the current save and the abandoned one? Also unrelated, but is the season pass for XB2 worth getting or just mostly fluff?
You have around....5 or so areas to get through, counting Prison Island, between where you are now and where you were.

It's going to be hard to tell until the new blade, story content and challenge content turn up. At the moment, the season pass only gives you a few handfuls of items and 5 quests.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Rirse posted:

Most people agree that Prison Island is the 1/3rd point in the game.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Got Kosmos out of my first bard purchased legendary crystal :woop:

What's the deal with her anyway? I heard she's supposed to connect with xbc1, but I never got past the first big town so I wouldn't know. Spoiler as necessary.

Poppiswap manuals resetting really sucks. I was looking forward to screwing around with builds during ng+.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
KOS-MOS is space Mary Magdalene from Xenosaga, IIRC.

She's not tied to Xenoblade Chronicles 1 in any way.

DoctorChowder
Sep 17, 2016

Reality Loser posted:

Got Kosmos out of my first bard purchased legendary crystal :woop:

What's the deal with her anyway? I heard she's supposed to connect with xbc1, but I never got past the first big town so I wouldn't know. Spoiler as necessary.

Poppiswap manuals resetting really sucks. I was looking forward to screwing around with builds during ng+.

JFC you lucky man. I've spent 300+ legendary cores trying to get her.

The manuals thing is eh, you can blaze through until chapter 8 so that you can get every one of them in one go.

Thurin
Jun 24, 2006
A Few Questions:

How does Orb Master work? I have a guy with orb master 2 but I've never seen it proc once. Does it require the blade to be out at the time of the chain attack, or on your main character, or something?
What are the best chips in the game called? Someone linked a spreadsheet with all of them earlier but it was hard to parse.
Does a blade's "Strength" stat (the one that goes out as you fill out the Affinity Chart) affect their damage or anything in combat, or is it just used for merc missions?
Did I miss out on anything by not being able to do the skillchecks during the quests to upgrade the mercs? On the one where a bunch of people want to challenge you I missed the third "combat advice" check because I didn't have enough focus or keen eye or something, and likewise on the leadership qualities one I wasn't able to do the checks to ask people about where they saw themselves in the future.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The orb master needs to be out ans the starter of the combo to trigger it.

You missed nothing, there is no difference.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
the blade can also be the second one in the combo.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

the strength stat is just an indication of how many nodes they've unlocked and means nothing outside of merc missions

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I thought hollywood had gone insane with making everything blue but this game really takes the cake. What happened to all the color from the previous games? Good grief

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I'm thirty hours in but I'm in chapter like five

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol, I took a month-ish long break from the game while playing the Trails games and getting kind of burnt out on the grind while trying to get the last 4 rare blades I need, and I come back and the first core I open gets me Floren.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'm thirty hours in but I'm in chapter like five

Chapters do get progressively shorter after 7 so dont think youve like another 60 hours to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Chapter 10 is like one room and a boss fight lol