Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Finale kinda contradicts the whole Scarif being the first Rebel victory from the ANH opening crawl. Though they kinda tried to wiggle around it with Zeb acting like the cast doesn't count as the Alliance. Overall I really liked the finale and agree that Star Wars doesn't need to be a deathapalooza. The Space Whales were awesome and a pretty good way to solve the problem of where the hell Ezra and Thrawn were.

I really don't like the kid though, human-alien hybrids just brings up all sorts of weird questions like why we haven't seen any around before, was there literally never a cross-species pregnancy before? And how the hell does it just mean colored hair when his mom has green skin with spots and a tentacle head whose species males have fangs and giant forehead bumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

galagazombie posted:

Finale kinda contradicts the whole Scarif being the first Rebel victory from the ANH opening crawl. Though they kinda tried to wiggle around it with Zeb acting like the cast doesn't count as the Alliance. Overall I really liked the finale and agree that Star Wars doesn't need to be a deathapalooza. The Space Whales were awesome and a pretty good way to solve the problem of where the hell Ezra and Thrawn were.

I really don't like the kid though, human-alien hybrids just brings up all sorts of weird questions like why we haven't seen any around before, was there literally never a cross-species pregnancy before? And how the hell does it just mean colored hair when his mom has green skin with spots and a tentacle head whose species males have fangs and giant forehead bumps.

The work around is that they're roughly at about the same time by a matter of months. Filoni conjectures that the only reason Scarif was able to go off the way it did was The Emperor was distracted by the space wizard poo poo on lothal (which is really funny considering that it more or less implies that Pryce's big gently caress up more or less eventually butterflies into literally everything coming apart for the Empire lol)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can take it that the first Rebel Alliance victory being Scarif as that was the whole Alliance, while Lothal was just Ghost Squadron.

And the Imperial ships in orbit probably hosed off ASAP once the Space Whales started loving poo poo up.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Kithkar posted:

The work around is that they're roughly at about the same time by a matter of months. Filoni conjectures that the only reason Scarif was able to go off the way it did was The Emperor was distracted by the space wizard poo poo on lothal (which is really funny considering that it more or less implies that Pryce's big gently caress up more or less eventually butterflies into literally everything coming apart for the Empire lol)

Also Thrawn was in command of a sizable and powerful fleet, that was already having ISD losses replaced by quicker to build but much inferior Light Cruisers and Dreadnoughts, and has now been largely destroyed. Adds to the notion that at Scarif months later, the Imperial fleet was stretched paper thin, which is why just two ISDs were there, and the only reinforcement available was Vader's personal flagship. Which to me, helps explain how the Rebel fleet was allowed to start existing through ESB, and gathering in force up to ROTJ - the Empire started condensing their remaining ships into large fleets to avoid isolated destruction, which started leaving more and more holes for the Rebels to operate within.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A single star destroyer is still a massive force projection platform.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sure, but we see them getting punked while solo or in pairs often, and post Scarif, aside from Vader taking the Tantive IV, we never see an ISD operating on its own again, just in increasingly larger fleets. The difference in fleet composition Thrawn has in the last episode just helps support the idea that the Death Star had brought ISD construction to a near standstill, with second and third rate replacements for first rate losses, and their decreasing numbers across that span helped embolden the Rebels to operate heavy assets in the open ie overwhelming the pair at Scarif, which in turn forced the Imperial Fleet to consolidate its dwindling capital ships into larger forces to avoid being picked off in detail, which cascaded into giving the Rebels even more free space in which to operate.

Just makes sense to me that way.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 7, 2018

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not to mention the empire had over 25,000 of them, as well as like a dozen SSD. I get the galaxy is a big place but the rebel fleet got wrecked at Scarif just taking down two of them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

VaultAggie posted:

Not to mention the empire had over 25,000 of them, as well as like a dozen SSD. I get the galaxy is a big place but the rebel fleet got wrecked at Scarif just taking down two of them.

Scarif was two ISDs and a turret dotted fortified starbase equipped with a couple hundred starfighters, and they were only wrecked when Vader's ISD arrived in the middle of the fleet in the middle of their poorly executed hyperspace jump out of the system after having destroyed the rest earlier.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 7, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Something that I think Star Wars authors stumble on is just how BIG space is and how many sectors/systems/planets there are, and how much military might would be needed to protect or patrol it all. Sure, 25,000 ISDs sounds like an absolute fuckton...but how many is that per inhabited system the empire is ostensibly making a show of force at?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

jivjov posted:

Something that I think Star Wars authors stumble on is just how BIG space is and how many sectors/systems/planets there are, and how much military might would be needed to protect or patrol it all. Sure, 25,000 ISDs sounds like an absolute fuckton...but how many is that per inhabited system the empire is ostensibly making a show of force at?

I'm not sure they've given a nucanon number for the Empire, but it seems like that might be less than 1 ISD per occupied system.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 7, 2018

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Just finished watching the finale and sign me the gently caress up for Sabine and Ahsoka buddy cop show wrecking everyone's poo poo.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Adult Sabine's character model looked really weird to me. Her head looked all emaciated or dehydrated or something.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Chickenwalker posted:

Adult Sabine's character model looked really weird to me. Her head looked all emaciated or dehydrated or something.

It was all the haircut, which I also wasn't a fan of, but then again I'm not a fan of the pixie cut anywhere.

kefkafloyd posted:

Just finished watching the finale and sign me the gently caress up for Sabine and Ahsoka buddy cop show wrecking everyone's poo poo.

There's no better person to try and fix the gaping holes in Abrams' and Kasdan's poor scripts with a TV show than Filoni

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NTRabbit posted:

I'm not sure they've given a nucanon number for the Empire, but it seems like that might be less than 1 ISD per occupied system.

They don't seem to bring them in for every system. We see several that are only protected by stuff like Light Cruisers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MonsterEnvy posted:

They don't seem to bring them in for every system. We see several that are only protected by stuff like Light Cruisers.

That's because they also need them for patrolling, more of them at important planets like Coruscant and Corellia, and for the Emperor's unceasing plans for conquest and expansion into the outer rim.

Hence when they aren't building any more because everything is being diverted to the Death Star construction, and suddenly the Rebellion starts popping off singles or pairs by sabotage or small action all over the galaxy, the Imperial Fleet starts to get stretched.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 7, 2018

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
Why didn't Sabine go back to help her people since the Mandolorians are in rough shape and Lothal is perfectly fine all things considered?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

MrJacobs posted:

Why didn't Sabine go back to help her people since the Mandolorians are in rough shape and Lothal is perfectly fine all things considered?

She said it herself; she thought for a while that Ezra wanted her to protect Lothal for him.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

She said it herself; she thought for a while that Ezra wanted her to protect Lothal for him.

Yeah, and she abandoned the Mandolorians and the Rebellion to do so, which seems like a waste since Ryder was there to do the exact same thing.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Meanwhile, Ezra and Thrawn are of playing Sabacc and Dejarik in the middle of nowhere for over five years

Although I suppose they landed somewhere at some point, which begs the question of where the hell were they during the OT

Even Purrgil can't stay in Hyperspace forever

Did they wind up in the Unknown Regions and get taken in by the Chiss? Did they meet the Vong scout from their planned appearance in TCW? (Although given Anakin Skywalker has met Thrawn, I wonder if that's where that plot point would be brought into canon...perhaps in the new Thrawn book...)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The new series involves Ezra, Thrawn, Sabine, and Ahsoka spending years fighting off a Yuuzhan Vong invasion so limited in scale (one county on the Chiss homeworld) that the rest of the galaxy never hears about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Star Wars: Resistance. Join our plucky band of heroes as they fight to save farm planet 419 from a deadly alien force yhat threatens to destroy the galaxy! One acre at a time.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Someone did a comparison of all clone wars characters in rebels

Basically they all look way better in rebels other than Anakin and Yoda (who was based on a toy for rebels)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

drunkill posted:

Basically they all look way better in rebels other than Anakin and Yoda (who was based on a toy for rebels)

This is incredibly cool, thanks for posting it.

I'd say Hondo looks worse, too. And I don't get why there are three Ahsoka images. What is the middle one from?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ahsoka grew up into a certified badass.

Also, Gregor's decision to wear a tank top into battle instead of his Phase II chest plate was a poor one.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I vastly preferred Clone Wars Palpatine’s character design. Had way more character.

Then again, he was only in Rebels for a second, so I can see why they wouldn’t go all in on him.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I've never really liked the look at all, it just reminded me of the superior artistry of Genndy Tartakovsky.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

thrawn527 posted:

And I don't get why there are three Ahsoka images. What is the middle one from?

OG Ahsoka, Ahsoka S3 costume change, Rebels Ahsoka.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ahsoka changed design and costume in season 3 to indicate she'd grown from age 12 to age 16 or so

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

teagone posted:

OG Ahsoka, Ahsoka S3 costume change, Rebels Ahsoka.

NTRabbit posted:

Ahsoka changed design and costume in season 3 to indicate she'd grown from age 12 to age 16 or so

Right, I remembered that, forgot just how drastic the change was. Thanks.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Right, I remembered that, forgot just how drastic the change was. Thanks.

Middle is the adult Ahsoka from one of the visions on Mortis.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Middle is the adult Ahsoka from one of the visions on Mortis.

She wasn't an adult, she was uncomfortable teenage sexpot dark jedi, because apparently seductress is the only mode for a female fallen jedi

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

drunkill posted:

Clone wars: pointy faceships

Rebels: round faceships

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Rebels' Yoda is pretty loving awful too tbf. Guessing it's based off concept art for the OT?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 7, 2018

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the Yoda stands out as almost too un-stylized. Tarkin, Obi-Wan, Bail Organa, and the Emperor all look appropriately aged and fit Rebels less-stylized look. But Yoda looks too round and feature-less.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

drunkill posted:

Basically they all look way better in rebels

I'm sorry what?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Rebels Yoda looks the way he does because like nearly everything in Rebels the design team McQuarried his look a considerable amount.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Rebels Yoda looks the way he does because like nearly everything in Rebels the design team McQuarried his look a considerable amount.

Weirdly enough, Yoda's one of the things in the show that wasn't specifically based on McQuarrie stuff:

Dave Filoni posted:

“A lot of stuff [art director Kilian Plunkett] and I would base designs on… our Yoda is based on the Kenner Yoda in ‘Star Wars Rebels,’” he said. “We did that to kind of be a little bit more stylized. So there’s some choices like that.”

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Robot Style posted:

Weirdly enough, Yoda's one of the things in the show that wasn't specifically based on McQuarrie stuff:

As someone who owns a Kenner Yoda, I can safely say they failed to emulate that look. Rebels Yoda’s face is way too narrow.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rebels had some great art direction, but Clone Wars clearly was superior aesthetically, especially the latter 3 seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Clone Wars almost certainly had more money going into each episode, but I think the Kenner style really hurt Rebels on top of looking cheaper. Especially those early seasons where the characters had very stilted and choppy movement.

• Locked thread